The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The rumour mill

+55
Student-A1
Coleman
dragon999
tigerleghorn
Moorsman
DrTreasure
HammerofThunor
aitchw
geoff998rugby
Manu's Boxing Coach
reallybored
killer938
Dubbelyew L Overate
Fluxy
lostinwales
ChequeredJersey
Heaf
thebluesmancometh
rodders
LeinsterFan4life
whocares
clivemcl
bluestonevedder
Artful_Dodger
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Bathite
Driver
HongKongCherry
stnick88
SirBurger
Sgt_Pooly
Bathman_in_London
Jenifer McLadyboy
pioden gorllewin
Mickado
Cumbrian
red_stag
B91212
sirtidychris
welshboii15
propdavid_london
beshocked
yappysnap
maverickmak
Geordie
Hood83
DaveM
formerly known as Sam
Morgannwg
Ozzy3213
LondonTiger
jeffwinger
wales606
ScarletSpiderman
nathan
59 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

The rumour mill Empty The rumour mill

Post by nathan Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:57 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
pioden gorllewin wrote:Leicester Mercury reporter Martin Crowson stating in todays paper that Tigers are after Owen Williams as stand off for next season. Gutted if true, thought he'd push priestland for the starting spot for next season.

The Scarlets are going to have to pull out of the LV= Cup from now on as it is getting to be a bit of a joke now, we have a kid play well for us in it, and then before the season even finishes they get poached by the Jeff side that they helped beat.

That said I wonder how much game time Owen would have got at PYS next season, as we have Priestland as exepected first choice, and then Jordan Williams, Gareth Owen and now Steve Shingler to cover (plus Aled Thomas, if he stays, and Dan Newton too).

How many times has it happened now?

nathan

Back to top Go down

The rumour mill Empty Re: The rumour mill

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:00 am

Nathan - second time we have lost a young fly half that way. Steve Shingler shone against London Irish, at the MadStad a few years ago, and now it looks like Owen Williams is following in his footsteps. It's just a bit of a p!$$er as we try to use the competition to blood new youngsters, but if they do come on and shine, we are nowhere near in the postion to keep hold of them if a larger (and more attractive) club come a knocking.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:08 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Nathan - second time we have lost a young fly half that way. Steve Shingler shone against London Irish, at the MadStad a few years ago, and now it looks like Owen Williams is following in his footsteps. It's just a bit of a p!$$er as we try to use the competition to blood new youngsters, but if they do come on and shine, we are nowhere near in the postion to keep hold of them if a larger (and more attractive) club come a knocking.

yeah i see what you mean, it's the same for all clubs though including the larger ones.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

Dragons have signed Richie Rees apparently,

Great signing for them, I would have loved to see him back at the Blues though
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm

Posted on twitter today:

Tom Hamilton @tomESPNscrum
Sounds like Max Lahiff is leaving London Irish at the end of the season - Super Rugby is his destination with Reds and Rebels keen #Rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Fri 08 Mar 2013, 3:28 pm

Max Lahiff's development was one of the main reasons London Irish fans weren't too disappointed about losing Alex Corbisiero. So if that happens it'll be pretty unfortunate for them.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:11 pm

mawhis wrote:Posted on twitter today:

Sounds like Max Lahiff is leaving London Irish at the end of the season - Super Rugby is his destination with Reds and Rebels keen #Rugby

does he have southern hemisphere connections?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
mawhis wrote:Posted on twitter today:

does he have southern hemisphere connections?

He is australian qualified (according to The Rugby Paper), but I'm not sure how.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:29 pm

Will be a real shame for us if he goes, but you can't blame the lad as he is Aus qualified, and probably stands more chance of an international career with them than with England.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:30 pm

I guess that must be via parents?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:33 pm

I didn't see the Tigers signing of Owen Williams coming. That's a loss, I think he is better than Shingler and Thomas. It certainly is a position of some depth (10 and 15) but there isn't really a Scarlet who is standing out in front further than the competitors.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 5:21 pm

Sounds like the rebels have signed Lahiff. I wish him the best of luck out in Aus.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:17 pm

Bad move for him. He's going to be under the cosh an awful lot in that pack, if he thought that this season was tough at LI then the Rebels will be worse. Maybe he'll be able to swing a move to a better franchise after a year or two and he is far more likely to get an international callup.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:04 pm

This is probably a symptom of English strength in depth. Three years ago he would have had a decent chance of an England cap. Now he's behind Corbs, Marler and Vunipola, with Corbisero the oldest of the 3 at only 24, and there are plenty of younger TH's coming through (for instance Harrison at Sale is going well, and a kid called Boyce at Leeds sounds very exciting).

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 08 Mar 2013, 8:07 pm

Brookes could still come good, Balmain is coming through nicely at Tigers as are Sinkler at Quins and Wilson at Falcons. A couple of years and Cole might actually face competition for his shirt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Sounds like the rebels have signed Lahiff. I wish him the best of luck out in Aus.

There was some talk of Oz trying to poach him for their national team if i remember. It will absolutely be a loss to us English if this happens I believe. I know we have decent strength in depth at LH, but he has HUGE potential. Immensely strong, a very powerful carrier and a decent scrummager. If his fitness improves he'll be a nailed on international. Was really hoping he'd push Marler, Corbs and Vunipola all the way. Real shame, but I've been supportive of players coming here and playing for us so for consistency, best of luck to him.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri 08 Mar 2013, 9:53 pm

DaveM wrote:This is probably a symptom of English strength in depth. Three years ago he would have had a decent chance of an England cap. Now he's behind Corbs, Marler and Vunipola, with Corbisero the oldest of the 3 at only 24, and there are plenty of younger TH's coming through (for instance Harrison at Sale is going well, and a kid called Boyce at Leeds sounds very exciting).

It's a shame, i think he would have been right up there and we'd have benefited from the competition. I think he would have been an England international, and a very good one. Given the lack of depth, he'll almost certainly get Aussie caps. If he feels a draw to them, good on him and best of luck...just not against us eh :-)

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:41 am

DaveM wrote:This is probably a symptom of English strength in depth. Three years ago he would have had a decent chance of an England cap. Now he's behind Corbs, Marler and Vunipola, with Corbisero the oldest of the 3 at only 24, and there are plenty of younger TH's coming through (for instance Harrison at Sale is going well, and a kid called Boyce at Leeds sounds very exciting).

When I said TH I obviously mean LH........

There are plenty of TH's coming through though, as Sam as.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:43 am

Hood83 wrote:It's a shame, i think he would have been right up there and we'd have benefited from the competition. I think he would have been an England international, and a very good one. Given the lack of depth, he'll almost certainly get Aussie caps. If he feels a draw to them, good on him and best of luck...just not against us eh :-)

I think the academies are prducing so much talent that England are going to see more and more players playing for other international sides. He was unlikely to get a chance with England given the competition. Someone will have to fix his binding problem, but he is strong like Vunipola is.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 09 Mar 2013, 12:22 pm

How cheeky of those dastardly Aussies...sending their props over to learn to prop correctly then taking them back... warning

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:23 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:Leicester Mercury reporter Martin Crowson stating in todays paper that Tigers are after Owen Williams as stand off for next season. Gutted if true, thought he'd push priestland for the starting spot for next season.

This has now been confirmed.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 3:38 pm

DaveM wrote:
Hood83 wrote:It's a shame, i think he would have been right up there and we'd have benefited from the competition. I think he would have been an England international, and a very good one. Given the lack of depth, he'll almost certainly get Aussie caps. If he feels a draw to them, good on him and best of luck...just not against us eh :-)

I think the academies are prducing so much talent that England are going to see more and more players playing for other international sides. He was unlikely to get a chance with England given the competition. Someone will have to fix his binding problem, but he is strong like Vunipola is.

Of all the young LH pretenders he looked to me like the most naturally strong. His carrying is less dynamic than Vunipola but he always takes about 3 guys with him. He has that sort of very good static strength like, I hate to say it, Easter.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 09 Mar 2013, 5:46 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:How cheeky of those dastardly Aussies...sending their props over to learn to prop correctly then taking them back... warning

Lahiff was born in London.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:12 pm

Williams confirmed to Tigers.

Barclay, Watson (or retain Lewington) and either a new contract for Brookes or an experienced backup tighthead (ala farmer White). Please. That would set us up nicely for next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:20 pm

I am reasonably comfortable with what we have at TH even if Castro goes.

Mind if Castro, bobo and Brookes all leave we could be looking a little light at the start of the season when with Ayerza away we would have little behind Cole, Balmain and Mulipola.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:46 pm

To my mind we need six props of AP quality. Ayerza, Cole, Balmain, Mulipola, Brookes and Stankovitch would do for next season if Castro left. If Castro stayed I'd probably let Stanko go as he's really not recovered well from that shoulder injury.

We've got some good props in the academy but they are only 18ish. Bower and Harris are probably off as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:25 pm

Tigers are apparently looking at Fabio Staibano, as a stand-in to back up Cole, Mulipola and Balmain.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:50 pm

Aye he looks the most likely candidate. Not really thrilled by that as a potential signing but tightheads aren't readily available (the cheap ones anyway).

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:05 pm

So long as he is cheap, willing to sit out for a fair while and can push, he's fine by me.

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm

He didn't show much pushing ability at Wasps hence why I'm not so thrilled.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm

DaveM wrote:

Yeah maybe so. I'd hope they keep churning them out! The concern is that props for example sometimes take a while to emerge. I think someone like Lahiff actually has stronger foundations for that position than someone like Marler. So we may see him develop past him but play for Oz. Not much we can do, in a way it would be nice to be seen as an exporter of talent for a change!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:46 pm

Am i right in thinking Garvey's going to Bath? Really not convinced by Gold and Ford there at the moment. But they're putting together a helluva squad.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Mar 2013, 6:55 am

I heard Joseph and Garvey to Bath, Gibson and Watson to Tigers.

With Lahiff and Corbs off as well it's not looking good for LI next season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 10 Mar 2013, 10:26 am

Exeter have announced they've signed an international but didn't name who?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Mar 2013, 10:30 am

Ceri Sweeney.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/Exeter-Chiefs-sign-fly-half-Ceri-Sweeney/story-18366374-detail/story.html

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 11:38 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I heard Joseph and Garvey to Bath, Gibson and Watson to Tigers.

Disappointing, the Bath pack may give the backs a platform but I wanted to see Joseph go to a team playing decent rugby like Quins. If Gold can't make something will this squad he's building then it'll be on him. Yeah, LI look in trouble to me. I still think the biggest issue for the Prem is the poor standard of coaching.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 1:43 pm

Gibson to Tigers is a done deal, but the last information that I had (about 2 weeks ago) was that Garvey and JJ had not yet signed for anyone else.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 10 Mar 2013, 1:49 pm

Hood83 wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:I heard Joseph and Garvey to Bath, Gibson and Watson to Tigers.

Disappointing, the Bath pack may give the backs a platform but I wanted to see Joseph go to a team playing decent rugby like Quins. If Gold can't make something will this squad he's building then it'll be on him. Yeah, LI look in trouble to me. I still think the biggest issue for the Prem is the poor standard of coaching.

Agree to a point, but then what can you do about it? Coaches as far as i'm aware have no formal career path or educational establishment, they simply complete the relevant qualifications, gain experience where they can and work from there. It seems a lot more "old school" in its approach then the modern micro managing and career pathways that players have.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 10 Mar 2013, 9:32 pm

Adam Powell to falcons confirmed..immediate effect..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 10 Mar 2013, 10:15 pm

Odd timing given that Sarries are still playing on several fronts and with Farrell already injured and Barritt playing in hard fought internationals. They might need him as squad cover.

I think he'll do well at the Falcons alongside Fitzpatrick that should be a well balanced pairing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 10 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm

We signed him months ago apparently Sam, but agreed to loan him straight back to them to cover the lv's...now they're out of that he joins us.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:56 am

yappysnap wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

Agree to a point, but then what can you do about it? Coaches as far as i'm aware have no formal career path or educational establishment, they simply complete the relevant qualifications, gain experience where they can and work from there. It seems a lot more "old school" in its approach then the modern micro managing and career pathways that players have.

Probably not much, get a load of Kiwis in for a start though perhaps? I'm not sure chopping and changing all the time would be helpful, but i'd like to see clubs look a little further afield at all the options.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:12 am

Hood83 wrote:
yappysnap wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

Probably not much, get a load of Kiwis in for a start though perhaps? I'm not sure chopping and changing all the time would be helpful, but i'd like to see clubs look a little further afield at all the options.

Some of the best coaches IMO are those who come from the clubs themselves.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:35 am

Dean Richards - Director Of Rugby
Peter Russell - Head Coach
Peter Wells - Forward Coach
Graham Steadman - Defence Coach
Micky Ward - Scrum Coach

Dont have a problem with the standard of coaches in the Championship Wink Very Happy

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Tue 12 Mar 2013, 11:54 am

Is Paul Grayson looking for a job still?
I saw him in the crowd down at the Stoop when Quins played Wasps in the Prem, and it got me wondering if he was talking to either party.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:19 pm

i think owen williams would have had a chance of a welsh call up with in the next year or two if stayed at scarlets but the move to the tigers could be the breaking of him such a big club with so much pressure he should have done the same as ford and got well away from the tigers because its only going to dampen his growth as a player

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:41 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Dean Richards - Director Of Rugby
Peter Russell - Head Coach
Peter Wells - Forward Coach
Graham Steadman - Defence Coach
Micky Ward - Scrum Coach

Dont have a problem with the standard of coaches in the Championship Wink Very Happy

I have a massive problem with a retired Irish American boxer teaching scrummaging warning

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 12 Mar 2013, 3:11 pm

welshboii15 wrote:i think owen williams would have had a chance of a welsh call up with in the next year or two if stayed at scarlets but the move to the tigers could be the breaking of him such a big club with so much pressure he should have done the same as ford and got well away from the tigers because its only going to dampen his growth as a player

Most likely the Leicester move will actually speed up his involvement with the Welsh squad, to cap him and ensure he can't jump ship. Yes I am that cynical.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

Tom May supposed to be signing for London Welsh regardless of if they stay up or not. Allegedly turned down a 1 year deal at Leicester (Shocked) as the LW move gives him more time to pursue other interests outside playing, which is understandable as he is now 34. Was offered an additional year at Saints as well.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/saints/saints-centre-may-turns-down-tigers-to-sign-for-welsh-1-4887293

Also rumours on the Saints forum of a move for Topsy Ojo, seen nothing anywhere else so it could just be wishful thinking as he seems to be rated by a few on there.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 12 Mar 2013, 5:33 pm

They'd have to buy Topsy out of his contract as he has another year on it I believe. I would be surprised to see him go to Saints.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next