The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Player of the year...in each position

+3
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
David Tails
Eboue_and_co
7 posters

Go down

World Player of the year...in each position Empty World Player of the year...in each position

Post by Eboue_and_co Tue 03 May 2011, 11:22 am

Im considering who would be player of the year for each position in Europe. Based on the years they've had personally or within a team. Four nominations per category.

GoalKeeper:
Its likely that all of the Goalkeepers from the Champions League Semi-final will be up there. Edwin Van Der Sar, Manuel Neuer, Iker Casillias and Victor Valdes are four top class goalkeepers and I can't think of many others who can compete with them. Possibly Hugo Lloris of Lyon or Petr Cech of Chelsea would be contenders, but I can't see anyone else making the list with Julio Caesar looking shaky this year and Liverpool in the Europa League making Reina unlikely.

Defender:
I suspect Vidic of Manchester United will be a contender along with Pique of Barca, I think they are the best centre-backs in Europe this season, whilst if I consider Left Backs it has to be Ashley Cole; no one seems to be able to better him in Europe, Englands player of 2010. Finally Dani Alves is my final nomination, with Maicon being exposed by Bale and Sergio Ramos in close second place.

Midfielder:
Barcelona midfielder's Xavi and Iniesta are still showing world class ability and talent and therefore are both included following a potential double and almost certain La Liga crown (Again!). Sneijder has failed to impress this year, whilst still creating chances and playing great passes a season of unease for Inter will probably mean he won't be midfielder of the year. Ryan Giggs performance against Chelsea in the Quarter finals of the Champions League will probably get him a nomination whilst Bale will probably make up the four following his displays against the Milan clubs.

Striker:
Messi is 99% certain to win this category, with a record breaking number of goals for Barcelona. But he will face competition from Ronaldo; who seems to have gone from winger to striker at Madrid and also scores bagfuls of goals. Samuel Eto'o has scored 8 goals in the champions league this year so may still be in contention whilst Raul has hauled Schalke into the Champions League Semi-finals showing he still has it.

Have I forgotten anyone?

Eboue_and_co

https://facebook.com/he.has.a.massive.hand.

Back to top Go down

World Player of the year...in each position Empty Re: World Player of the year...in each position

Post by Guest Tue 03 May 2011, 11:31 am

Welcome to the board!

Great post.

I'd say Edwin for Goalkeeper. For 40 years old the man is still outstanding.

Defence, for me Pique just shades it ahead of Vidic. But i don't agree with Alves.

Midfield it's hard to look past the Barca midfield, Pedro for me though simply for his goalscoring contribution.

Attack, I'd say Messi, just, simply because he creates more than Ronaldo.

Back to top Go down

World Player of the year...in each position Empty Re: World Player of the year...in each position

Post by David Tails Tue 03 May 2011, 11:37 am

I would go with Neuer for Keeper. Tough one though because VDS is a fantastic keeper.

Defence...Probably Pique. He seems like a more cultured defender whereas VIdic is a brick wall, I think I would feel happier with Pique in the heart of the defence.

Midfield - Iniesta is just a class act.

Attack - Can you really look beyond Messi?

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 03 May 2011, 2:54 pm

King Beer wrote:Welcome to the board!

Great post.

I'd say Edwin for Goalkeeper. For 40 years old the man is still outstanding.

Defence, for me Pique just shades it ahead of Vidic. But i don't agree with Alves.

Midfield it's hard to look past the Barca midfield, Pedro for me though simply for his goalscoring contribution.

Attack, I'd say Messi, just, simply because he creates more than Ronaldo.

Pedro is a wide man plays on either side of Barcas 3 man attack.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 03 May 2011, 3:00 pm

GK- Van Der Sar Just a top class performer one of the best goalkeepers of all time.
DEF- Pique He's so good on the ball and he reads the game like a veteran. Can't believe Man Utd sold him for £5m.
MID- Xavi He pulls the strings for Barca and very rarely gives the ball away. His vision is unbelievable picks passes out most top midfielders wouldn't see.
ST- Messi the best around and probably one of the greatest of all time.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 03 May 2011, 3:01 pm

goalkeeper - vds
defender - puyol
midfielder - sniejder
forward - messi

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 09 May 2011, 1:44 pm

I take Player of the Year to mean literally that and so I reckon....

GK - Manuel Neuer - it's hard to keep goal in a team with a defence like Schalke's and he has had a big enough year to practically seal a move to Bayern or United.
Def - Vidic - he never knows who he will end up partnering and he still carries the defence. Scores a few too.
Mid - Bale - top season. He may not be able to better it, but as it is player of the year, I'd say he has nicked it.
Att - Messi - not much more you can add, he just dominates the game. And when he doesn't he still impacts the outcome.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 09 May 2011, 11:10 pm

Suarez will be within the next 2 years.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 09 May 2011, 11:12 pm

Bale? Seriously?

He hasn't even been the best player in the Spurs team. Good player but incredibly over-hyped based on a few excellent games.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 10 May 2011, 7:48 am

Goalkeeper-Neur

Defence- Pique

Midfield- Bale

Striker-Gotta be Messi
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 10 May 2011, 8:05 am

I think based on his last season, his importance to his team and the stage he performed on that he gets in to my team of the year. While he hasn't been the best in the world in any position, in his I think he has a fair shout.

I was also perhaps trying to avoid a 'usual suspects' situation!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Tue 10 May 2011, 8:24 am

sodhat wrote:I think based on his last season, his importance to his team and the stage he performed on that he gets in to my team of the year. While he hasn't been the best in the world in any position, in his I think he has a fair shout.

I was also perhaps trying to avoid a 'usual suspects' situation!

I can't argue with your reasoning despite disagreeing with your point if you know what I mean. Wink If I'd to pick one player from Spurs it would be Modric every time. I'd still love Bale in my team though.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 10 May 2011, 9:02 am

Haha, I do understand. On any given day my choice might be different...

I agree about Modric though, I think he is top class and easily better than Van der Vaart, whilst being way more important to the side too.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down