The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Bellew v Isaac Chilemba

+6
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
hampo17
88Chris05
azania
TopHat24/7
Pedro147
10 posters

Go down

Tony Bellew v Isaac Chilemba Empty Tony Bellew v Isaac Chilemba

Post by Pedro147 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:48 pm

Slow enough day on here today, maybe because it's a Monday.

I don't know too much about Bellew's opponent and have never seen him fight - anybody know if he's any good or should Bellew get through this relatively comfortably?

How do we see this one going at the weekend?

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Tony Bellew v Isaac Chilemba Empty Re: Tony Bellew v Isaac Chilemba

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:12 pm

Fairly decently ranked fighter, a win would definitely take him ahead of Clev now in my eyes. UD written all over it.

Interestingly the Bomber is also scheduled in (according to BoxRec) to fight just 2 months after on the Froch-Kessler undercard.

Busy boy!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:16 pm

I always get the feeling that Bellew is a dump away from missing weight. He should move up a division. I've read that he's killing himself to make weight. It could catch up on him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:24 pm

Doesn't look like he's killing himself though. Always has that 'fleshy' look, a bit like De Gale.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:31 pm

Just what I read and he does look drawn at weigh in.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:41 pm

The issue of Bellew's weight and how it's effecting him (or if it is effecting him at all) will never go away as long as he's at Light-Heavy, I reckon.

On one hand, he keeps making the 175 lb limit and his past four or five fights have generally shown an improvement from the lad who was in danger of getting blasted out early against McKenzie first time out.

But on the other, it's well known that his ABA titles came at Heavyweight, where be boxed as a rock-solid 200 lb, and that he has looked a little out of puff towards the end of fights before, the Cleverly fight being the prime example. Although his performance was much better than was expected, guys in the know such as Anthony Farnell were bemoaning the fact that he was still at 175 afterwards, saying that he was dead at the weight with no legs under him and that it had cost him the fight.

Problem is, Bellew's not quite the monster puncher he sometimes gets described as, and that will be even more problematic at Cruiser. I'm in the minority on this, but I'm still not quite sure whether or not Bellew has a world title in him at either 175 or 200. There just seems to be that little somthing missing in his arsenal right now.

Hope I'm wrong, though.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:46 pm

I like him. His attitude is spot on. He wants to fight the best or better opponents. But as you say there seems to be something missing in his game which will prevent him from winning a strap. He seems to be a nearly man.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:47 pm

Well, I'd back him to beat Clev now in a return, so that'd be his route to a title at 175.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:50 pm

I think Clev will out hustle him and nick it down the stretch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

He's a decent operator, beat Mirando over 10 but has little power to trouble Bellew.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:28 pm

Chilemba apparently climbed off the canvas twice to outpoint an opponent. Bellew says he's a tough nut and he'll have to dig deep for the win. Sounds like a LH version of N'Dou - here to last the distance.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 25 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm

Should be a really competitive fight and a hard one to call

Have only seen one fight if chilemba's and that was the win over Miranda, who Bellew fought after this loss, and he looked very good and he also has a draw against Oosthuzen (spelling) who is a very good boxer

Don't think he is that big at the weight so Bellew might just be able to outmuscle him

Bellew is stuck a bit as cruiserweight is 25lbs jump and its not exactly a division that gets alot of attention. He can make 175, but isn't making it comfortably and its hurting him

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:42 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Doesn't look like he's killing himself though. Always has that 'fleshy' look, a bit like De Gale.
Weight drained boxers do often lack any definition from what I've seen. Rios v Murray for example.

His power would certainly benifit from fighting at a more natural weight, but sadly nobody cares about cruiser.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm

huck, afolabi, hernandez, tarver, lebedev and chambers are all at cruiser at the minute, its not to bad of a division, not much different from lhw

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:09 pm

I'd say you've just put a strong case forward for him staying at LH.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:18 pm

I had a look at the ring ratings recently and the light heavyweight division must be at an all time low. To be fair I think they had left out Bute/Pascal but a top ten included Cleverly, Bellew, Chilemba, Murat, Braehmer, Shumenov and Campillo. Im not sure any of them would even beat a peak Clinton Woods.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:32 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Doesn't look like he's killing himself though. Always has that 'fleshy' look, a bit like De Gale.
Weight drained boxers do often lack any definition from what I've seen. Rios v Murray for example.

His power would certainly benifit from fighting at a more natural weight, but sadly nobody cares about cruiser.

When I think of 'weight drained' I think of Hatton v Pac or ODLH v Pac, that really drawn look. Bellew never looks like that to me.

Agree he's between a rock and a hard place though, bust a gut to make a more glamorous more money 175 division or fight more naturally a stone or so heavier where money is poor and nobody will pay much attention to him.

He seems like a really nice stand up guy, keen to do best by his family, so I think he'll stick where the money is.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down