The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A way to dodge the marquee player system?

+3
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
Bathman_in_London
7 posters

Go down

A way to dodge the marquee player system? Empty A way to dodge the marquee player system?

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:47 pm

I am happy to be shot down in flames, but I had an idea of how clubsmay/could bend this to their advantage. Firstly the rules:

Excluded Player

A Club may nominate to the Salary Cap Manager one Player to be excluded from their Salary Cap calculations.

A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as an Excluded Player who:

(i) has been a Player of the Club for atleast two full Salary Cap Years prior to the Salary Cap Year in which he is nominated as the Excluded Player; or
(ii) has not been a Player of any Aviva Premiership Club during the previous Salary Cap; or
(iii) was selected and included in a national playing squad of any country participating in the RWC2011.

The name of the Excluded Player shall be kept confidential.

Very simply, can't clubs simply rotate the exempt player each year, with a salary to match?

ie 250k in year 1, 500k in year 2, back to 250k in year 3 etc.
The contract would therefore be £1m over the 3 years but it would allow for another big earning player in year 1, and then another in year 3.

In reality the payments would probably be smoothed too (ie payment in advance to help buy a house etc.), although the offical contract would be as above.

To get it to work it would require some careful medium term planning, but can anyone tell me why it couldnt work?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

A way to dodge the marquee player system? Empty Re: A way to dodge the marquee player system?

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:59 pm

Or you could not try and get your sugar daddy to cheat the system and instead put his resources in developing a sustainable club...just a thought Whistle

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

A way to dodge the marquee player system? Empty Re: A way to dodge the marquee player system?

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

NFL clubs have been doing this with contracts for years. By varying the amounts over the years they are able to plan in advance which years are going to be all about retaining big names (signing on bonuses etc) and which years will be big draft years (younger players on smaller deals).

I thought the marquee thing has a limited exclusion amount?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 26 Mar 2013, 2:33 pm

I don't know Sam, I just took the bit in the op from the premier rugby website.
I feel like there must be other rules and indeed other ways around the rules.

I just thought that this seemed like an obvious way to get around the system and I wondered if anyone could think why it wouldnt be allowed.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

If the player accepts the contract then I can't see the problem.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:13 pm

Or just make payments overseas.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:18 pm

justified sinner wrote:Or just make payments overseas.

You mean pay one relatively small salary in the UK visible under the cap and another, larger salary in say... South Africa?

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 27 Mar 2013, 5:57 am

That would be illegal?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:02 am

Weren't overseas/offshore payment scams involved significantly in Rangers FC's fall from grace once HMRC got interested?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 27 Mar 2013, 8:53 am

Offshore Employee Benefit Trusts, if I understood the 'Gers case correctly

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down