The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any update on Boxnation, Hennessey TV deal?

+9
Adam D
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
tunes666
All Time Great
eddyfightfan
AlexHuckerby
hampo17
School Project
Seanusarrilius
13 posters

Go down

Any update on Boxnation, Hennessey TV deal? Empty Any update on Boxnation, Hennessey TV deal?

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 26 Mar 2013, 3:45 pm

I was wondering if anything had been said about Henessey's stable now Ch5 are rumoured to have pulled out of boxing? Also, did I read somewhere Boxnation have over 100,000 subscribers? Any word on that? Just interested as it will impact the future of the sport in Blighty, you know.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Any update on Boxnation, Hennessey TV deal? Empty Re: Any update on Boxnation, Hennessey TV deal?

Post by School Project Tue 26 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

Hi Sean,

I've not seen/heard anything about the Hennessy-BoxNation sign up, but I did find an interview with Warren a few weeks ago that stated they have 120,000 subscribers during their quieter months.

The quote is:

‘No exaggeration – unlike the reports of my demise – we peaked at 240,000 for the Haye-Chisora fight last summer. Then, during the quiet period for boxing in December, January and early February we dropped to 120,000 . But it’s rising again and we will climb back above 200,000 fairly shortly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2291761/Frank-Warren-exclusive-Reports-death-greatly-exaggerated--Jeff-Powell.html

I know this is from Warren himself, so it's hard to trust the numbers, but this is all I've seen regarding the figures...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Any update on Boxnation, Hennessey TV deal? Empty Re: Any update on Boxnation, Hennessey TV deal?

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:02 pm

School Project wrote:Hi Sean,

I've not seen/heard anything about the Hennessy-BoxNation sign up, but I did find an interview with Warren a few weeks ago that stated they have 120,000 subscribers during their quieter months.

The quote is:

‘No exaggeration – unlike the reports of my demise – we peaked at 240,000 for the Haye-Chisora fight last summer. Then, during the quiet period for boxing in December, January and early February we dropped to 120,000 . But it’s rising again and we will climb back above 200,000 fairly shortly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2291761/Frank-Warren-exclusive-Reports-death-greatly-exaggerated--Jeff-Powell.html

I know this is from Warren himself, so it's hard to trust the numbers, but this is all I've seen regarding the figures...

Cheers mate,

What makes him so confident it will clim above 200,000 again? With the mass exodus from his stable lately, I find his confidence a little unjustified. Maybe he knows something we don't?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 26 Mar 2013, 4:20 pm

I think he means with Khan and Mayweather fighting close together it's likely more people will sign up for those fights.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:52 pm

So he means they'll peak and troth depending on whos's fighting. Not exactly the best way to keep regular viewers.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 26 Mar 2013, 7:58 pm

It's not but it's boxing, what can you do?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:39 pm

with a cash income a 1 million a month in bad times and peaking at 2.4 million, i don't think frank is in that much trouble, unless he is lying about the numbers, but i have heard the same figures mentioned before.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue 26 Mar 2013, 11:18 pm

It made a loss of around £4.1m for the YE accounts as at 31 Jan 12.

Not 100% how long it's been trading, but even turnovers of approx £18m based on an average of 150k subscribers during the year I would assume Boxnation can only remain as going concern with significant injections of cash.

Would be interested to see their figures for the YE 31 Jan 13, but I can't see this lasting much longer as Warren will be losing significant revenues from his own boxing shows due to a reduced stable.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:39 am

I noticed Degale tweeting something like.. "Just rumors with out any facts" which I presumed was in relation to the C5 rumors.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:01 am

if frank can get the US fights at the right price, and keep the few fighters he's got he might actually save a lot of money paying all those fighters, and in some cases (sauserland fights for example) still gets to show the fights.

i don't think franks demise is as close as many people hoped.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:12 am

Mayweather is a coup for Frank, as is khan (not nearly the same drawing power but moreso than the likes of Clev etc) but BoxNation televised Mayweather-cotto too if i remember and yet it didnt beat the high of 240,000 that haye-chis got

Problem frank has is that these names and american cards are on at 2-6 am which wont attract new viewers as casuals wont want to stay up that late or have to record every fight

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

people will still pay for it for the odd months, especially over the summer when theres 2-3 big fights a week. and some of then won't bother to cancel, and those than do might take a month or two. all it takes is for cleverly to glass his next opponent and frank will be in the money again.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:25 am

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Mayweather is a coup for Frank, as is khan (not nearly the same drawing power but moreso than the likes of Clev etc) but BoxNation televised Mayweather-cotto too if i remember and yet it didnt beat the high of 240,000 that haye-chis got

Problem frank has is that these names and american cards are on at 2-6 am which wont attract new viewers as casuals wont want to stay up that late or have to record every fight

Whilst I agree with the post in general, I disagree that Mayweather is bigger for Frank than Khan for the very reason pointed out at the end.

Frank would surely get more subscribers having {british}Khan on at 10pm than {US} Mayweather at 4pm

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 27 Mar 2013, 11:35 am

Adam D wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Mayweather is a coup for Frank, as is khan (not nearly the same drawing power but moreso than the likes of Clev etc) but BoxNation televised Mayweather-cotto too if i remember and yet it didnt beat the high of 240,000 that haye-chis got

Whilst I agree with the post in general, I disagree that Mayweather is bigger for Frank than Khan for the very reason pointed out at the end.

Frank would surely get more subscribers having {british}Khan on at 10pm than {US} Mayweather at 4pm

Whilst i agree i think that Khan fighting over here might be just this one time. Khan will be back in the states for the lightwelter tourney and diaz isnt exactly someone to get excited about for more than 100000 extra subscribers to register

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:30 pm

Adam D wrote:

True, I'm not taking half a day off work for him

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Mar 2013, 12:33 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Adam D wrote:

True, I'm not taking half a day off work for him

You work in the civil service Dave, everyone knows you've been home at least an hour by then.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 31 Mar 2013, 6:51 pm

As has already been discussed quite a bit recently, Hearn's domination, as much as he seems like a decent, genuine chap, is only going to see a decrease in quality over time. With the BBC, ITV and now Channel 5 all feeling the pinch, and Sky ditching other promoters to give Matchroom exclusivity, we're kinda dependent on deals between the formerly established promoters. I hope something can be done so we get Hennessey, Hatton, Coldwell, Moloney fights etc on telly as much as possible, if the latter haven't already signed linkups with people, as recent bouts suggest they may have.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 6:53 pm

Nothing to do with the terrestrial channels feeling the pinch.......

More to do with ratings..........Boxing is declining....

If the numbers are there Budget requirements would be forthcoming.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 31 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Nothing to do with the terrestrial channels feeling the pinch.......

More to do with ratings..........Boxing is declining....

Well, yeah, it is, clearly. ITV and the BBC have both significantly cut their sports budgets in recent years, and Channel 5's boxing viewing figures were very healthy.

Cheers.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 7:10 pm

If they were healthy and advertising revenue was coming in...It would still be broadcasting it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sun 31 Mar 2013, 7:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If they were healthy and advertising revenue was coming in...It would still be broadcasting it..

'fraid not. Viewing figures for Fury's fights on Channel 5 have averaged about 1.5m peak. To put that into perspective, it's around five times what Hennessey averaged with ITV, or 20-30 times Sky's average audience during 2011. They might not have matched the figures ITV pulled in with Warren, even well past their prime, but they've generally been very impressive. There are obviously extenuating circumstances, though why i'm feeding the troll i've absolute no idea.

Last edited by monzon on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 7:39 pm

If they were happy with the figures they'd still be showing it!!

Weren't healthy enough for them...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:31 pm

maybe they werent happy with the boxing sporting bodies, once they boxers can pick their own opposition and aren't forced to take any fights they dont want to

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

I saw on one of the sites that Frank has done one of his gloating The Sun articles. seems he has a fairly stacked lineup over the next few months.

He didn't mention Fury or Hennessey. The TV exec who brought boxing to Ch.5 has left the channel so that link is dead.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down