The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - Trophee Hassan II

+7
dynamark
NedB-H
sirbenson
puligny
GPB
kwinigolfer
princedracula
11 posters

Go down

European Tour - Trophee Hassan II Empty European Tour - Trophee Hassan II

Post by princedracula Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:01 pm

The European Tour globe trotters are getting this week within touching distance from Europe itself, as they gather for the 40th edition of Trophee Hassan II in Morocco. Last week King Charl reached the zenith of his already illustrious carreer when he partnered the Queen of Malaysia in the local Pro-Am, but there's no word yet if King Hassan II will join the fun this week in Agadir.

A lot of the talk this week will be around those last minute tickets to Augusta, and there are five guys in this week's field (three of them are Scots) who could still make it: Gallacher, RCBello, Siem, Ramsay and Jamieson. Gallacher and Rafa Bello coulkd make it in theory with a solo 2nd, but the other three would require an outright win, while Wiesberger would come once again just short. You can add Thongchai Jaidede to that list as he could also make it with a win in Thailand this week, but it's hard to understand why someone like Noren (and a few others) chose not to play this week as he would've had a much better chance than any of those mentioned above...

Looking at the list of previous three winners at this event, you wouldn't be too sure if winning it is a blessing or a curse. All of them, Rhys Davies, David Horsey and Michael Hoey have been struggling after their respective wins, some of them really baddly... At least Horsey has shown some small signs of a recovery lately, and I would think he may not do too badly here this week. Franny Molinari is the highest ranked man in the field, but I'll be cheering more for his brother Eddie this week. If he can keep up that nice momentum from last week, a win is certainly a possibility for him. Other than that, there are quite a few other decent players who could spoil the plans of all of those mentioned so far, and I would fancy David Howler quite a lot to do well here, while Broberg and the two Irish lads, Lawrie and McGrane should have an outside chance. Finally, nice to see the young Aussie Daniel Popovic, the surprise winner of the Australian PGA last year, getting an invite...

Otherwise, not too many things to worry about, with Golf du Palais Royale being one of the shortest courses on tour (6844 yards/par72), and the weather forecast looking pretty good for the rest of the week...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - Trophee Hassan II Empty Re: European Tour - Trophee Hassan II

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:59 am

I'll follow the Franny/Jamieson group.
Really interested to see the degree to which Jamieson kicks on now he's broken through - important few months for him, and a reminder that the owgr Top 60 will qualify for this year's US Open, not Top 50 as in years past.

Easy to pooh pooh the quality of this field but there should be some good golf in a nice little event.

Thanks pd guinness

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 am

Kind of strange that the LET also is playing in Morocco this week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:23 am

It wasn't King Hassan II himself, but Franny played the Pro-Am with the crown prince of Morocco instead...

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013025/news/newsid=187849.html

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 pm

I see a Soren Hansen sighting. Is he back from injury or returning from taxman-imposed detention?

Tough scoring in Africa . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 pm

I think this is the course that is played just once per year, during this tournament. Apparently locals can picnic on it a couple of weekends per year! Seems bizarre!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Yeah, I think that's more or less true... I also remember that if there is a bit of a stronger breeze, course can get very tough to play, not sure how's the weather right now, but scoring looks very tough indeed... Have a look at the poor Czech guy's scorecard who WD after 6 holes... +21 after 6, I think I might be able to beat that... Whistle

Good starts from Horsey and Pablito...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Great to see Soren Hansen back, imo one of the biggest underachievers on tour. He should have won a lot more!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:35 am

Scoring a little more promising this afternoon, tho not for everyone . . . . . Franny, Jamieson, Ramsay, etc.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:50 am

Siem off to a very nice start in pursuit of his Augusta ticket. For someone famed for losing his rag at the first hint of a bad bounce, he seems to play quite well in tricky, high-patience conditions... no doubt following an early bogey with an eagle two helps. RCB was going steadily til a double derailed him, but the three Scots are seemingly feeling the lack of heat, near enough out of it already.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:34 am

What course was Marcel playing?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:12 am

Is this the course where the caddies do not have to check the pin positions on the first day because they are where they left them on the last day year previous!

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Interesting score maybe a record Jacob Svoboda retired 21 over par-wait for it -after 6 holes!! That will hurt for a while.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:12 pm

Yeah, I sort of mentioned that yesteday and then rushed to say that even I could beat that, but then I read that he said he WD because of a wrist injury, so now I'm prepared to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. One of the unfortunate 'byproducts' of having someone as high profile as Rory walking off the course the other week at Honda and putting the blame on a wisdom tooth, is that now it made us take a much more cynical view when something similar happens... But then I see that one of the Golf Channel geniuses has taken that cynicism a step further by making a whole 'story' out of it and putting all sorts of rubish in there just to attract attention...

Talking of the bottom of that leaderboard, the man who's propping it at the moment is none other than Oliver Wilson, who sadly seems to have found his 'comfort zone' there lately, and his scorecard doesn't look much better than Svoboda's...

Hopefully Siem will resist at the top till Sunday evening. He's not the most predictable golfer out there, often mixing streaks of genius with spectacular crashes... we'll see. And as usual, at the top are two guys (Siem and Luiten) whom I dropped from my FT picks long time ago because of their lack of form... Doh

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Difficult to mistake most of the Golf Channel fluff for journalism, but did enjoy the Jason Dufner pic. To be fair, Dufner has pretty much been sleeping on the job so those children shouldn't feel singled out.
Given Svoboda's record, it's surprising that he was in the field - asking for trouble, or at least ignomony.

Looks like Jamieson's given up also, wonder what his excuse is?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:44 am

Sky were quoting Jamieson as having been ill (stomach flu was the word) for a few days, to the point of missing the practice rounds, so I assume it's a flare up of that illness.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:01 am

Thanks Bob,
He's at the stage in his career where he really needs to make the most of his opportunities - he won't be at Augusta but has a very real chance of qualifying for the US Open; Muirfield a bit more of a longshot.
Good luck to him, but get healthy!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:19 am

princedrac's buddie Pablito in with the round of the day and Eddie Molinari has one of the performances of the day, shooting 66 to redeem himself after a torrid Thursday.
Promises to be an exciting weekend if Marcel gets up to his usual tricks . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:14 am

Ouch! Not the right start from Marcel, only took a few minutes and there's only one shot between him and Horsey... Hope Siem keeps it together, his chances got a boost as Jaidee is still in second place in Thailand, but he's now 5 shots behind the leader...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:54 am

Has North Korea hacked into the ET website? It crashed my computer an hour ago and now I can't get back on the europeantour.com site at all.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:11 am

Marcel still one ahead of Horsey after 9-10 holes, Pablito two shots further back...
A propos of North Korea, i was thinking listening to the news, about Bae and KTKim, I think both of them were trying hard to find a way to skip their military service. That may get hrder to avoid if things keep moving in that direction over there...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:14 am

Hopefully they'll conscript Kevin Na . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:54 am

Maybe Anthony Kim is there already...

Suddenly Siem is 4 ahead!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:44 am

Marcel's having one of his mad blackouts at the 17th... picard

EDIT: very lucky to get away only with a bogey in the end...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:35 am

Wouldn't mind seeing any of that top five win this, though would prefer that Marcel doesn't shoot himself in the customary both feet.
Time for Horsey, for instance, to prove whether he's ready for the next step, while there's never anything wrong with seeing Larrazabal playing well.

Still plenty to play for for Gallacher and Ramsay.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 pm

Happy Easter!

Not so happy for Eddie at the par 3 14th where he got into the double digits Shocked Oh well...

Hard to see Marcel losing this now, unless he loses his marbles once again somewhere along the way... Should stay at least a bit calmer now, with the Thongchai threat out of the way...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:24 am

Germany and Finland tied for the lead . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 am

Marcel, Marcel... You can never be sure with this lad...

Howler once again close to the top, just needs to find an extra gear to really have a proper go for a win...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:38 am

Beautiful venue, but seemingly pathetic crowds at this event.

And the European tour wonders why the top talent flocks to these United States??

Time for Chubby to step in and once again and proclaim all things move East!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:03 am

Shotrock wrote:Beautiful venue, but seemingly pathetic crowds at this event.

And the European tour wonders why the top talent flocks to these United States??

Time for Chubby to step in and once again and proclaim all things move East!

I've been to Agadir where this tournament is and it's a dump. Only package holiday tourists are likely to make up the crowds. A local wouldn't have the money to go and watch.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 am

A bit like the site of the WGC MatchPlay - no-one ever goes. Thanks Finchem.

Franny beats Eddie by EIGHT strokes on the short 14th . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:55 am

Big difference Kwin -- Tim delivers the revenue year in and year out, WGC aside.

European tour continues to lose top talent.

Stay the course and hope things change? Definition of insanity.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:16 am

Until the golf organizations spread the WGC's around the rest of the World is in trouble - and the handcuffs Finchem has rightly designed to keep the best players away from their own Tours is a stroke (no pun intended) of genius.
Doesn't mean he's not a d1ckhead though, but why should he care?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:16 am

Meanwhile Marcel is moving ahead Siemlessly . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:24 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Meanwhile Marcel is moving ahead Siemlessly . . . .
At least, so it Siems.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:45 am

Kwin - I see your point; but I also remember no one MAKES a player play on any tour. Get the purses, get the necessary comforts and conveniences of travel and see if you can attract the talent. You can't be just as good as the current offering (evidently US tour), you need to be better. Business 101.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:12 am

Sr,
It is indeed ironic that the Europeans' pride in their Tour only exemplifies itself once every two years.

More, better economies is the only answer outside a more democratic share of the WGC's; Finchem weathered the US storm, with enormous help from European-based companies it must be said. O'Grady seems to have been blown away by the very same gales of financial malfeasance.

I'm thinking Marcel is going to miss out on the Masters, which would be most unsiemly.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:18 am

Finchem's "storm" more imagined than real. The market demand for event hosting and TV contracts led by the sheer strength of the US viewing market. And that never really contracted.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:31 am

But my point was that Zurich bailed him out with New Orleans and San Diego, BMW with the old Western Open while Barclays and Deutsche Bank underwrote the FedEx racket. And then of course the Canadians came good with the Heritage and Canadian Open. Not to mention HSBC.

He was able to weather the storm also with cash reserves that enabled him to underwrite events like Tampa and San Diego and Hilton Head, whilst abandoning northern markets like Detroit and Milwaukee.

I think your word "contract" is also key, but in terms of longer contracts for key events.

Not many American companies helping out the European market.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:54 am

Huh?

The European companies "helped" because they saw a commerce opportunity (bargain, even?). Nothing more, of that you can take to the bank!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:16 am

No "commerce opportunities" in Europe?

I knew I was wasting my time working for IBM in London . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:16 am

Where did I mention no commerce opportunities in Europe?

But, if you really think simple communication between big companies and the ET is all it would take, I suggest someone get on the phone and tell O'Grady about them all.

Let's do the math this week for the professional golfers: First place on the ET 250,000 Euros, or @ $320,000. First place on the US tour this week pays $1,080,000.

Yea, just a phone call ought to do it!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 am

Yeah SR, but only the ET offers the opportunity to play in dodgy places, glorifying obscure despots. (And I'm not talking about Augusta.) That's worth half the glory.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Sr talks in riddles sometimes . . . .

But, Good News:
Miguel-Angel Jimenez is among the early commitments for "Open De Espana", with Garcia, 2xMolinaris, Matteo, Gonzo, Marcel, Chris Wood, Lowry, Willett, some Hansens etc.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Pedro - Good points ... And rumor has it the European Tour may be returning to Europe this year! Although this week's winer obviously eager to head to the states.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Shotrock wrote:Pedro - Good points ... And rumor has it the European Tour may be returning to Europe this year!
Hah - Aprils fool! Can't fool me!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 am

European Tour is the best... Wink

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/european-tour-andreas-pantless-033113/?cid=twitter_V_gc_HARTOPANTLESSTROPHEEHASSAN_033113

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down