The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia

+21
Biltong
Cyril
Triangulation
bluestonevedder
cakeordeath
George Carlin
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ChequeredJersey
Shifty
mikey_philVIII
flyhalffactory
reallybored
thebluesmancometh
geoff998rugby
UlstermaninGlasgow
Scrumdown
RuggerRadge2611
Big Mac Michael
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Loosehead for the lions

Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 3 ]
Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap3%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 4 ]
Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap47%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 57 ]
Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap21%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 26 ]
Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 20 ]
Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 121

Poll closed

Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Empty Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Thu 28 Mar 2013, 7:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Six nations is done. We are a year on since I last held one of these polls and the long term aim was to compare what we selected a year out, a month out and the final squad.

You can pick one player only as your first choice.

I think I have grabbed most of the names in the hat, though my apologies if anyone you consider worthy has been forgotten, if you ask nicely then I am sure one of our excellent moderators might take the time to be kind enough to offer their much valued assistance.

The players included either showed in the Six Nations squads or have been regularly talked of as prospects on the various threads on here.

Hookers - https://www.606v2.com/t42471-hooker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Tightheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42486-tighthead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Lock No. 4 - https://www.606v2.com/t42501-number-4-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956467

Lock no. 5 - https://www.606v2.com/t42502-number-5-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Blindside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42514-blindside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Openside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42515-ospenside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956975

Number 8 - https://www.606v2.com/t42518-number-eight-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958144

Scrumhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42531-scrumhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Flyhalf - https://www.606v2.com/t42539-flyhalf-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1958609

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 3:33 pm; edited 3 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:58 am

Another weekend done and dusted. The squad to be announced after the next...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Loosehead choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by cakeordeath Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:06 am

Grant done his Lions chances no harm after Friday. More than adequate to handle Jones in the scrum. great in the loose, chalking up 2 tries.

It was also obvious from that game that Hibbard has to be the first choice hooker.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:13 am

Yeah I just hope Hibbard isn't too badly hurt.

Grant did a really good job of getting under Jones at the Scrums, they both had a stint in the bin for thier combined antics but Grant will see that as a Victory, due to the huge experience of Jones and his reputation of being a fierce scrummager. Since the Glasgow team drew more penalties from their Welsh counterparts he'll have been happy with his performance.

Bagging 2 tries helps too.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm

Very impressed by Grant, he did well vs Wales in the six nations too.

Have to say that he, Gethin and Healy are the front runners with Paul James close behind.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:06 pm

Paul James was excellent at the weekend against Tigers too. He and Wilson really pushed the Tigers' scrum. Both were very good in the loose too.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:12 pm

I saw a bit of the game. He has been a rock for Wales and the Ospreys for years. Was a good signing for Bath.

Loosehead is becoming a very tough call.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Triangulation Mon 22 Apr 2013, 12:51 pm

Gethin Jenkins is the best bet for a most flanker-like skill set, breakdown work and tackling.

Cian Healy is the best ball carrier available and would be my pick for that reason

Alex Corbisiero is the best scrummaging loosehead available with possibly Sheridan right up there too (havent seen enough of Sheri recently)

Triangulation

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 22 Apr 2013, 1:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I saw a bit of the game. He has been a rock for Wales and the Ospreys for years. Was a good signing for Bath.

He was very good. In my opinion, I thought he should have been starting at LH for Wales over Jenkins during the 6N

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:30 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I saw a bit of the game. He has been a rock for Wales and the Ospreys for years. Was a good signing for Bath.

He was very good. In my opinion, I thought he should have been starting at LH for Wales over Jenkins during the 6N

It's a tough call between James and Jenkins and won't get any easier with the fantastic form Bevington is starting to show too. We are rather fortunate to have three top Looseheads.

Happy to read your appreciation of James work in the loose, he can be quite the tyro...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 22 Apr 2013, 6:41 pm

Tyro means "a beginner in learning something". James is 30 (nearly 31)! I know props are always learning but he's hardly a beginner Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:09 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Tyro means "a beginner in learning something". James is 30 (nearly 31)! I know props are always learning but he's hardly a beginner Smile

No, but he is a prop, so he is bound to be slow

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:13 am

cakeordeath wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Tyro means "a beginner in learning something". James is 30 (nearly 31)! I know props are always learning but he's hardly a beginner Smile

No, but he is a prop, so he is bound to be slow
Laugh I just wish people understood the words they type Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

Cyril, it might be prudent to think before replying. Tyro is also a shortened version of the word Tyrant.

One could also alternate and use words of the ilk of.

bad guy, brute, bully, criminal, crook, cutthroat, demon, desperado, devil, evildoer, fiend, gunman, hoodlum, hooligan, law breaker, monster, ogre, ruffian, scoundrel, snake, terrorist, thief, thug, tough, vampire, vandal, viper, vulture, wrongdoer.

Obviously dependent on the context of the subject matter.

Perhaps it would be wise to not take everything written here as a literal meaning, but some leeway should be allowed for creative literacy and license.

By the way, we had an agreement and you broke it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

Sorry but you're wrong on this one, biltong.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:07 pm

To be fair Biltong, tyro is a word in itself meaning someone new to an activity.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

wrong on the fact that Tyro can be a shortening of a word, do you know how Maesteg intended it?

Or wrong about the fact that you broke an agreement?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:To be fair Biltong, tyro is a word in itself meaning someone new to an activity.
Accepted mate, but if we go on the literal meaning of every word word that is typed on this forum it will become a literacy exercise where we become pedantic to the point of boredom regarding how people spel and intent their abbreviations.

I am pretty sure in this case talking about a prop ten years into pro rugby, is not a rookie.

It is perhaps a good idea to read things in context before assuming someone doesn't intend a word in a specific meaning.

Last edited by Biltong on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

This one is tough.

Healy for me is the front runner, and assuming Gatland doesn't mind Jenkins being used by Toulon at the start of the tour, then Jenkins should go as well.

Final choice is hard. Ryan Grant, Paul James, Alex Corbisiero, Mako Vunipola and Andrew Sheridan will all be considered no doubt.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:20 pm

Biltong wrote:wrong on the fact that Tyro can be a shortening of a word, do you know how Maesteg intended it?

Yes, no idea (but used wrongly) and maybe.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:24 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Biltong wrote:wrong on the fact that Tyro can be a shortening of a word, do you know how Maesteg intended it?

Ok, so you rather assume that someone who follows rugby and have for a long time would call intentionally call a 30 year old rugby player a rookie?

Or is it perhaps that small window of opportunity to create waves that was just too enticing to let go?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:29 pm

Biltong wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:To be fair Biltong, tyro is a word in itself meaning someone new to an activity.
Accepted mate, but if we go on the literal meaning of every word word that is typed on this forum it will become a literacy exercise where we become pedantic to the point of boredom regarding how people spel and intent their abbreviations.

I am pretty sure in this case talking about a prop ten years into pro rugby, is not a rookie.

It is perhaps a good idea to read things in context before assuming someone doesn't intend a word in a specific meaning.

I read it and understood it to mean that he doesn't know what the word really means and has used it incorrectly. Take your point about being a pedantic so and so but do we really have to guess what he means if he's making up meanings of words?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:31 pm

Biltong wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

Ok, so you rather assume that someone who follows rugby and have for a long time would call intentionally call a 30 year old rugby player a rookie?
Not intentionally no. He just uses words he doesn't understand sometimes (or in the wrong context). I fail to see how gently letting someone know the actual meaning of a word rather than let them continue to be wrong constitutes "a bad thing".

It's not being pedantic. It's black and white on this one.

Let's drop it eh? Before we get into any more trouble Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Biltong wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

Not intentionally no. He just uses words he doesn't understand sometimes (or in the wrong context). I fail to see how gently letting someone know the actual meaning of a word rather than let them continue to be wrong constitutes "a bad thing".

Yes, good idea to drop it, but as you know we are talking a specific case here, and hence not a good idea to correct grammar. thumbsup

I just look at myself, English is my second language, and even though I tend to make grammatical errors or use words in the wrong context I have not been corrected from memory, so I think it is a lesson we can take that not everyone on here has the same literacy competencies.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nlpnlp Tue 23 Apr 2013, 2:37 pm

Cian Healy to start for me with Jenkins to come on when the game loosens up. Grant a good dirt tracker who wouldn't be embarrased if needed for the test side.
It seems a shame for James who is pretty well regarded, but seems to lack the profile. But at least Gatland will know his strengths.

nlpnlp

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:03 pm

Biltong wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Biltong wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

Yes, good idea to drop it, but as you know we are talking a specific case here, and hence not a good idea to correct grammar. thumbsup

I just look at myself, English is my second language, and even though I tend to make grammatical errors or use words in the wrong context I have not been corrected from memory, so I think it is a lesson we can take that not everyone on here has the same literacy competencies.

English is my first language and it's still rubbish!!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:29 pm

The poll is closing soon and the vote is looking conclusive.

Healy as starter with Gethin and Grant as back up.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2