The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia

+18
glamorganalun
Jhamer25
Sgt_Pooly
Bigman666
thebluesmancometh
yappysnap
Hound of Harrow
BigTrevsbigmac
ChequeredJersey
George Carlin
belovedfrosties
LondonTiger
flyhalffactory
bedfordwelsh
Scrumdown
majesticimperialman
Shifty
maestegmafia
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Number 8 for the Lions

Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 16 ]
Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 4 ]
Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 7 ]
Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 30 ]
Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 42 ]
Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 105

Poll closed

Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Empty Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Six nations is done. We are a year on since I last held one of these polls and the long term aim was to compare what we selected a year out, a month out and the final squad.

You can pick one player only as your first choice.

I think I have grabbed most of the names in the hat, though my apologies if anyone you consider worthy has been forgotten, if you ask nicely then I am sure one of our excellent moderators might take the time to be kind enough to offer their much valued assistance.

The players included either showed in the Six Nations squads or have been regularly talked of as prospects on the various threads on here.

Looseheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42452-loosehead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Hookers - https://www.606v2.com/t42471-hooker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Tightheads - https://www.606v2.com/t42486-tighthead-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Lock No. 4 - https://www.606v2.com/t42501-number-4-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956467

Lock no. 5 - https://www.606v2.com/t42502-number-5-lock-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Blindside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42514-blindside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia

Openside Flanker - https://www.606v2.com/t42515-ospenside-flanker-choices-for-the-lions-tour-to-australia#1956975

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by maestegmafia Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Good points glam, but Ryan hasn't put in many minute at eight in the last two seasons, he has been back at six where he started it all, and doing a great job there too

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Number Eight choices for the Lions tour to Australia

Post by dragonbreath Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:52 pm

I like Toby but with what is likely to be a dominant front 5 and therefore a go forward scrum, 8 has to be an offensive weapon. The best and most effective from the base of the scrum is Ben Morgan. If a more defensive player is required then Toby will do a great job, but if we as expected do dominate at scrum time then we need to get across that gain line and behind them as soon as possible.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:17 am

dragonbreath wrote:I like Toby but with what is likely to be a dominant front 5 and therefore a go forward scrum, 8 has to be an offensive weapon. The best and most effective from the base of the scrum is Ben Morgan. If a more defensive player is required then Toby will do a great job, but if we as expected do dominate at scrum time then we need to get across that gain line and behind them as soon as possible.

I'm more and morr impressed with Morgan - i dont see any other lions 8 close to him on 'current' form. And therein lies the problem. While i'd now go with Morgan i do wonder if Gatland will even include him in the squad due to the 'pedigree' of other 8s such as heaslip...

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:34 am

If players are picked in form Heaslip shouldn't tour, he's been on a steady slide since 2009

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:44 am

Sgt_Pooly

The only problem i have with Gatland being in charge of the Lions that he may not pick the best player/s (players that are on form) i mean....Surely for such a vital match, only players that are top form should travel. No matter which country they come from.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:52 am

I agree there.

Beattie & Faletau would be the obvious choices

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:32 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Sgt_Pooly

The only problem i have with Gatland being in charge of the Lions that he may not pick the best player/s (players that are on form) i mean....Surely for such a vital match, only players that are top form should travel. No matter which country they come from.
Why would Gatland be more inclined to picking out of form players?Lancaster,for example,kept picking Ashton who was clearly out of sorts.Whoever Gatland tends to pick seem to do pretty well in the 6N's.He was overly loyal to Priestland,I grant you.All coaches have their favourites but Gatland does not appear more guilty than anyone else.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:

Why would Gatland be more inclined to picking out of form players?Lancaster,for example,kept picking Ashton who was clearly out of sorts.Whoever Gatland tends to pick seem to do pretty well in the 6N's.He was overly loyal to Priestland,I grant you.All coaches have their favourites but Gatland does not appear more guilty than anyone else.

What i was trying too say is that sometimes, like the last Lions tour for example Shane Williams was getting picked more for his reputation rather than his form.

What is making this years Lions team selection a bit of a nail biter if you like. is that nobody only the coaches know who the Lions squad will be...Before now in the past everybody would know who the players would be.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlyOsp Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:12 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:

What i was trying too say is that sometimes, like the last Lions tour for example Shane Williams was getting picked more for his reputation rather than his form.

What is making this years Lions team selection a bit of a nail biter if you like. is that nobody only the coaches know who the Lions squad will be...Before now in the past everybody would know who the players would be.

Are you crazy? Shane didn't get picked. Then when he did he scored. Twice.

CurlyOsp

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 am

Jamie Heaslip played some very good rugby on Friday.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2