The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sexton... Greedy or right to go?

+13
ME-109
Feckless Rogue
offload
funnyExiledScot
GunsGerms
LondonTiger
Mickado
rodders
SecretFly
maestegmafia
LordDowlais
LeinsterFan4life
bazalicous
17 posters

Go down

Sexton... Greedy or right to go? Empty Sexton... Greedy or right to go?

Post by bazalicous Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:50 pm

Is Johnny Sexton just another money hungry mercenary or is he right to leave Leinster for a new challenge?

Thoughts please.....

bazalicous

Back to top Go down

Sexton... Greedy or right to go? Empty Re: Sexton... Greedy or right to go?

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:55 pm

He didn't want to leave Leinster. He wanted to sign a contract extension ages ago but the IRFU wouldn't let him for some reason

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:02 pm

It is how it is now, and we are going to have to get used to it, the vultures from England and France are circling and if we want to keep our best players we need to act, if a Welsh region breaks there record for giving somebody a contract the English or French could still top it, and no matter what we can offer they can and will offer more, so I suspect we will see more Celts playing in England and France in the future. I wouldn't let it get you down though for every George North going to England, there will be another coming to take his place, it will be like that for you lot as well, as this is the only way we will be able to compete.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:04 pm

LD, I doubt the English could offer any more than an irish province can.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Apr 2013, 10:15 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:He didn't want to leave Leinster. He wanted to sign a contract extension ages ago but the IRFU wouldn't let him for some reason

Who's his agent?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:59 pm

He wasn't right and he wasn't wrong. He just acted, and it's his business.

Meaning staying at Leinster wouldn't have been a big career error, and going to France wasn't a terrible thing to do. It's his life.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:08 am

bazalicous wrote:Is Johnny Sexton just another money hungry mercenary or is he right to leave Leinster for a new challenge?

Thoughts please.....

Both. Greedy and right to go. All the best Johny thumbsup guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:11 am

3 HCs and a league title, he can still play for Ireland and he's getting mega bucks, and can still return if he wants in a couple of years. He's right to go.

But he's greedy too. Smile

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:24 am

greed·y (grd)
adj. greed·i·er, greed·i·est
1. Excessively desirous of acquiring or possessing, especially wishing to possess more than what one needs or deserves.

Some politicians claim you can live on £53 per week in the UK. thus perhaps Sexton is seeking more than he needs. Is his new pay packet more than he deserves? compared to comparable rugby players, probably not.

Sexton is now an established international, front-runner for th eLions and turns 28 this summer. with limited opportunities for players, I would say this is the ideal time for him and Ireland to try the French adventure. Madigan will get the chance to really push on, and who knows challenge Sexton for the top spot in green, rather than challenging Jackson for th ebench spot.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:38 am

He isnt really making much more money if you consider how many more games per season he will be playing. On a per game basis anyway it isnt much more and it cant really be a decision based on ambition as it is not likely that Racing will win anything while he is there.

I can only assume it is for a change of scene and witness first hand the flaneur extravagant lifestyle Paris has to offer and why not I suppose. Its a pity to see but if I was in his shoes I might just do the same.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by bazalicous Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:21 am

I think Madigan will defo be challenging Sexton by time the world cup comes around, and prob by the 6 nations 2015.

[quote="LondonTiger"]
greed·y (grd)
to comparable rugby players, probably not.

Sexton is now an established international, front-runner for th eLions and turns 28 this summer. with limited opportunities for players, I would say this is the ideal time for him and Ireland to try the French adventure. Madigan will get the chance to really push on, and who knows challenge Sexton for the top spot in green, rather than challenging Jackson for th ebench spot.

bazalicous

Back to top Go down

Post by bazalicous Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:23 am

The french game is a forward style set piece win the penalties and kick your way to victory game. It might somewhat help Sextons free kick taking but it sure won't help his free flowing style. He won't improve over there, but his bank account will. Still though, if i was in his shoes i'd find it hard to say no too!!

bazalicous

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:52 pm

I think he's taking a real risk. By leaving Leinster he's automatically promoting Ian Madigan to the starting XV, and from what I've seen, Madigan could become every bit as good as Sexton.

I don't think this is comparable to North leaving either. North is leaving a struggling club. Sexton is leaving one of the top club set-ups in Europe. It can only be for money.

I personally don't think this will work well for Sexton. He's currently rated the best 10 in Britain and Ireland, odds on favourite to start the tests in the summer, he's Ireland's first choice 10 and the first choice 10 and potential future captain of the most successful club side in Europe in the last few years.

This is a money move. He can dress it up anyway he likes, but he wants to earn more. Leinster will survive, Madigan is an excellent talent, and obviously it doesn't affect Ireland as he'll still be available.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm

FES, as I said before he wanted to stay at Leinster. He wanted to sign a contract extension before the AIs.

This has nothing to do with money. It was just a fook up by either his agent or the IRFU.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think he's taking a real risk. By leaving Leinster he's automatically promoting Ian Madigan to the starting XV, and from what I've seen, Madigan could become every bit as good as Sexton.

I don't think this is comparable to North leaving either. North is leaving a struggling club. Sexton is leaving one of the top club set-ups in Europe. It can only be for money.

I personally don't think this will work well for Sexton. He's currently rated the best 10 in Britain and Ireland, odds on favourite to start the tests in the summer, he's Ireland's first choice 10 and the first choice 10 and potential future captain of the most successful club side in Europe in the last few years.

This is a money move. He can dress it up anyway he likes, but he wants to earn more. Leinster will survive, Madigan is an excellent talent, and obviously it doesn't affect Ireland as he'll still be available.

Maybe he and his fiance just want to experience life in another city before they get married and have kids. I doubt its only for money as really he doesnt stand to gain that much more all things considered.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:32 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:FES, as I said before he wanted to stay at Leinster. He wanted to sign a contract extension before the AIs.

This has nothing to do with money. It was just a fook up by either his agent or the IRFU.

I'm pretty sure it would have been sorted if that's what he really wanted. I refuse to believe he had no choice but move.

As for the point about him and his wife wanting to experience a new city, if that's the reason he moved then why not just say that and clear everything up.

"The IRFU and Leinster did everything they could to persuade me to stay, and I have massive respect and thanks for Joe Schmidt and Leinster, but me and my wife would like to experience life in another city before we settle down. I make this move therefore for personal rather than rugby reasons. I do however very much hope to return and play against for Leinster one day, to me without question the premier club/region in European rugby currently, and playing for Ireland remains a top priority for me."

Why not just say that?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri 05 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

Life is short and full if onlys. Good luck to him.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:39 pm

I think he would have stayed if they gave him the same wages as Heaslip. They wouldn't so he left.

Although it begs the question, why do the IRFU see Heaslip as more valuable than Sexton?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:43 pm

He has nothing left to win at Leinster (bar Rabo which is doable this year), he still plays for Ireland, a new challenge is a good thing.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:57 pm

In rugby terms, it may be the dumbest move since Richie Gray signed for Sale.

In terms of his life, living Paris will be a good change and he'll also make a ton of money
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:02 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I think he would have stayed if they gave him the same wages as Heaslip. They wouldn't so he left.

Although it begs the question, why do the IRFU see Heaslip as more valuable than Sexton?

Maybe they're always thinking a few years ahead of us wiser guys here Wink

Maybe they'd been pre-planning a succession in advance of the next WC regardless of any results Kidney might have been gaining in the 6N; and maybe Heaslip will become more prominent under a new coaching system and they therefore want to keep him close, as he was often thinking further afield than France whenever he mentioned the possibility of going abroad.

Maybe his value lies in the...future?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:26 pm

Pro Rugby is a short enough time span. He is right to go and make the best of it.

Wouldn't say in the short term he will be a big loss as Madigan is a better all round player and now will get the chance to prove it (for Ireland as well).

Sexton was only a stop gap for Ireland anyhow.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:35 pm

DOD wrote:Pro Rugby is a short enough time span. He is right to go and make the best of it.

Wouldn't say in the short term he will be a big loss as Madigan is a better all round player and now will get the chance to prove it (for Ireland as well).

Even though he (Sexton) is probably Irelands best player right now?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:37 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
DOD wrote:Pro Rugby is a short enough time span. He is right to go and make the best of it.

Even though he (Sexton) is probably Irelands best player right now?

Not saying much is it? However I will give that he at last put two back to back performances (argentina and wales). I still think Madigan is the way forward for Ireland (and before you accuse me of just jumping on Sexton I have been saying that about Madigan for at least 2 years).

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:12 pm

If I were to use American lingo, Madigan has a higher ceiling, but Sexton has a higher floor. Basically, Madigan has far greater potential, but Sexton is more likely to fulfill his.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:33 pm

How many of us wouldnt make the same decision in his position? If another company came along and offered more money than we are on would you not take it?

My question would be what rate of tax will he be paying as I know the French high earners are now being taxed at 75% of income over 1million euros, I don't know if sports or foreigners all fall into the criteria

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by bazalicous Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:58 pm

marty2086 wrote:How many of us wouldnt make the same decision in his position? If another company came along and offered more money than we are on would you not take it?

My question would be what rate of tax will he be paying as I know the French high earners are now being taxed at 75% of income over 1million euros, I don't know if sports or foreigners all fall into the criteria

Ii's possibe he'll be living just over border in Belgium. Tax dodging. I'm sure Bono gave him that tip!!

bazalicous

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:04 pm

Thomond wrote:If I were to use American lingo, Madigan has a higher ceiling, but Sexton has a higher floor. Basically, Madigan has far greater potential, but Sexton is more likely to fulfill his.

Just saw Madigan take a step towards fulfilling his potential this evening..

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:06 pm

Absolutely, from physical skills he is more talented then Sexton, and any Irish outhalf I have seen (pretty much Rog Humph, and Sexton though) we'll just see if he can get the mental side of things together, tonight was great in his frist big club game.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:09 pm

He can do things that sexton and ROG could only dream about...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:10 pm

Exactly, but a lot of guys with physically great talents in any sport never reach that level, can Madigan is the key, fingers crossed he does.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:12 pm

I think he is better than sexton already.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:15 pm

2 or 3 superb games do not make him. Too early to be crowning him, but certainly promising, his running style reminds of an NFL running back, great flow. Madigan's got good speed but he is quick more so than fast, he is shifty, got superb, quick fit, can fix a guy with a great step and his eyes. A great flowing style, reminds me of Barry Sanders, threatens to make a break any time.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm

Thomond wrote:2 or 3 superb games do not make him. Too early to be crowning him, but certainly promising, his running style reminds of an NFL running back, great flow. Madigan's got good speed but he is quick more so than fast, he is shifty, got superb, quick fit, can fix a guy with a great step and his eyes. A great flowing style, reminds me of Barry Sanders, threatens to make a break any time.

Ergo already better than Sexton. Thanks for saving me the effort

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:19 pm

marty2086 wrote:How many of us wouldnt make the same decision in his position? If another company came along and offered more money than we are on would you not take it?

Sport is impacted and foreigners living in france as well. In practice clubs pay up to make up for the higher tax rate.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:21 pm

DOD wrote:
Thomond wrote:2 or 3 superb games do not make him. Too early to be crowning him, but certainly promising, his running style reminds of an NFL running back, great flow. Madigan's got good speed but he is quick more so than fast, he is shifty, got superb, quick fit, can fix a guy with a great step and his eyes. A great flowing style, reminds me of Barry Sanders, threatens to make a break any time.

Ergo already better than Sexton. Thanks for saving me the effort

He is better at Sexton and most players at running with the ball, kicking is very solid but we haven't really seen him in a dog fight yet that's a great tester which should happen in Amlin semi or in the Rabo semis.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:13 pm

Madigan has a pretty similar playing style to Ian Humphries (except good at it).

clivemcl

Back to top Go down