The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Accuracy

+14
JPX
mystiroakey
dynamark
oldshanker
incontinentia
golfermartin
kwinigolfer
JAS
MontysMerkin
hend085
Roller_Coaster
puligny
super_realist
McLaren
18 posters

Go down

Accuracy Empty Accuracy

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:03 am

How far the ball goes gets a lot of attention, whether it be the manufactures marketing, column inches about the game or the tuition sections of the golf magazines. Distance is great, but it is nothing without its best friend accuracy, and this is what I want to focus on in this thread. I would like people to share what they think the important techniques are for ensuring accurate shots.

Firstly, lets focus on the tee shot and in particular the use of the driver. What in the set up, take away, tempo etc do you use to try and hit as accurate a shot as possible?

What are the fundamentals to getting the ball to go where you want it to go?

Is every improvement you make to your swing for increased accuracy? If not, why not?

So lets hear how the members of v2 golf keep the ball on the short stuff.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Accuracy Empty Re: Accuracy

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:53 am

Interesting Mac,
I've become a far better golfer for not caring a jot about swing mechanics other than tempo.

I've also discovered that where I decide I want to play the next shot from is far more important.
So if I want to be hitting no more than an 8 iron in on a 400 yard hole then I can take a 3 wood off the tee. Not only is it straighter, but only a club or so less in distance than my driver, which is nowhere near as reliable.
On TOC for example, I only use driver on 5, 14, 15, 17 and 18. It just isn't necessary on other holes.

Stepping behind the ball an choosing a line is most important and aligning it with something a foot in front of the ball, committing to the shot and swinging with the tempo of a 6 iron all do it for me. Very rare for me to put the ball in trouble when I do that.

For once though, I'd like to see someone market a club as "the most accurate yet", instead of the "longest yet". Won't appeal to the machismo of the standard club hacker who hits driver on EVERY possible occasion.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 am

Alignment and rhythm are what occupy my mind.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 am

Physical - Pick a specific, small target in the distance. Pick an alignment spot a foot or so in front of the ball. Address and align the 3 together, look at target, stop thinking, look at ball, swing.

Walk to wherever ball ended up, repeat.

Mental - Thought process re accuracy is perhaps backwards, but... Confident with putter = pressure off chips = pressure off approaches = pressure off tee shots = head happy on tee box regardless of where tee shot goes = freer swing = (generally) more accuracy.

Tip - Try not to fix swing on the course, just adapt to whatever predominant ball flight is there on the day and accept where the ball goes.

Result - point one each time so far this year Doh

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:47 am

big thing for me is to have the club aiming at the target at the top of my back swing.

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:19 am

I've just started trying a half swing ( I 'm imagining Darren Clark but prob more like a Furyk type wrestling manoeuvre!) I'm still trying to hit quite hard as I can't seem to swing softly (probably my hockey background) but I have found that I'm only losing a few yards on a full shot but gaining a bit more accuracy. Anyone else tried this for a full round?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 am

Good point Monty, if my game goes a bit awry I tend to shorten the backswing and it usually works.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 am

Not blowing my own horn but I've hit some beauties this winter into the strong winds. 130yards but using a 6 iron - low boring flight to start, hint of draw, loving it. Thinking of (trying to!) making it my 'stock' shot. Feels comfortable and in the summer plenty of bite into hard greens.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:05 am

super_realist wrote:

For once though, I'd like to see someone market a club as "the most accurate yet", instead of the "longest yet". Won't appeal to the machismo of the standard club hacker who hits driver on EVERY possible occasion.

I don't think marketing would ever do that. It suits them to bleat on forever about distance, the standard club hacker falls for it every time but still regularly ends up in the bundai, maybe even a few yards further in it!! So they come to the conclusion that their club is no good and they need to change their club. Flawed thinking at it's magnificent best but club marketing men love it and exploit it to the hilt!!

For me every shot is to a green. Off the tee on Par 4s and 5s (and 2nd shots on par 5 if not going for the green in 2), I have an imaginary green picked out. This will be where I want to play my next shot from. I pick something in the distance or on the horizon and something 18 inches or so in front of the ball, line them up and let go. On a good day I'm fine on a bad day I still struggle not to let swing thoughts enter my head. If I've pulled left generally it will be lack of weight shift if I've pushed right it will almost always be lack of turn through the ball. I'll try a post shot practice swing then again in a practice swing before the next shot to try and correct then try and swing freely again on the actual next shot.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Long gone are the days my trusty MacGregor eye-o-matic would pump out consistent 240 yard fades, to be followed by irons which would always draw.

Now it's not keeping the ball on the "short stuff" off the tee which is the challenge, it's reaching the "short stuff" off the tee. The ravages of age and a head which moves up as the club comes down. No "most forgiving" club in the world can solve my problems it seems.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:41 pm

This winter I have been working on standing closer to the ball at address. I have known for sometime that I was a bit too far away. I am now catching the sweet spot of the driver much more often and therefore much straighter. Similar situation with the fairway woods, although still manage to catch them just a little towards the toe. A bit of a work in progress, but very promising so far. One of my key thoughts is always complete the backswing (pause at the top) because I can get into the habit of starting down before I get back, if you see what I mean?

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:23 pm

It seems a lot of you are relying on aiming in the pre shot routine to promote accuracy, but does anyone have any thoughts on how the action effects accuracy. For example how you rotate your body or how well you maintain your lag?

PS I am confused, is monties merkin super or not?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:59 pm

No I certainly ain't!!!
As I have mentioned I lurve Tiger Wooderingtonbury. It's what got me playing the stupid game in the first place!! Well PS2 Tiger Woods game first natch...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:59 pm

IMO - when you are actually playing a round and scoring (comp/match etc)

Aiming + "normal" swing (ie the one the majority of the time on the day) = where ball goes. Adjust aim when playing to adjust accuracy.

Swing mechanics + adjustment = head full, confusion and disconnect between task in hand (hitting ball) and where focus is (hand in wrong place, turn incomplete, follow through too quick etc) = less accuracy.

When practising I'll perhaps work on 1 or tops 2 things if I know something that has become ingrained that I don't like/want but not out on the course when playing competitively.

Can many of you diagnose, fix and improve your swing mechanics while still scoring and retaining all the other swing facets in harmony? I personally can't but fully accept that might just be me.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Last year managed to get through to the latter stages of a singles matchplay. Thought I'd try practising for the first time ever (outside a tw@tting balls at a local range). Didn't know how to really so just started hitting gentle 7 irons. Lost 35 balls due to the great unmentionables, walked off with the very small handfull of remaining balls and have therefore decided that I will only practice on the course! Especially like trying to hit power fades (no chance!) on the first in a medal. Can quite easily use half my shots on the first and still hit the buffer.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:09 pm

Am i the only one who thinks trying to be too accurate is a load of old nonsense and one of the main reasons for slow play?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Agreed - I'm no slower hitting 5 off the tee and trying to find the little bugger than some of the preshot routines I have to snooze through. Although those golfers do seem to lose less balls and score much better. Hmmm.....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:21 pm

I think trying in itself may be.

Do or do not, there is no try zen

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:57 pm

For the teeshot I follow the advice that I was first given and it seldom lets me down:
First of all get the grip right you have to start with the basics, then stance which will include aiming in the right blimmin direction. I now hover (well not me personally you know, but my clubhead) as I like the way you can ease into a smooth, long, low takeaway with a late man sausage (break) of the wrists. Then belt the bejaysus out of it from a backswing that might just about reach 11 o'clock now.
Nearly always now hit the fairway 250(ish) yards and was asked the other week if I knew how far I would hit it with a full swing! Whistle
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:32 pm

Muppet it .Only really one thing with the driver and that is try to stay slightly in to out through the swing by setting up with the back foot a few inches inside the line.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:22 am

McLaren wrote:How far the ball goes gets a lot of attention, whether it be the manufactures marketing, column inches about the game or the tuition sections of the golf magazines. Distance is great, but it is nothing without its best friend accuracy, and this is what I want to focus on in this thread. I would like people to share what they think the important techniques are for ensuring accurate shots.

Firstly, lets focus on the tee shot and in particular the use of the driver. What in the set up, take away, tempo etc do you use to try and hit as accurate a shot as possible?

What are the fundamentals to getting the ball to go where you want it to go?

Is every improvement you make to your swing for increased accuracy? If not, why not?

So lets hear how the members of v2 golf keep the ball on the short stuff.

An accurate shot.

I would either tone down my swing on a driver. Hit it relatively low(tee it high though) and play for a controlled fade or draw! Its all about visuallising a shot. The more you can do that on any shot the better prepared you are.. Just aiming staright and swinging with fear doesnt help. I try to visualise and create shots (obviously dependant of terrain and conditions) on every shot i play

However in the past - the harder i hit it - the straighter it seemed to go. I used to have this bombing draw(as the stock natural shot). And it seemed as though the harder I hit the ball would just go furthar right from launch but allways come back!

So if anyone truely wants to improve accuracy i would think about looking at everything like an approach shot.. Looking at a wide fairway and just hitting it isnt helpfull.. make the shot more important and more complicated- aim for a much smaller section of the fairway. Play the shot- if you miss the shot slightly you should still be fine...

Most problems caused with accuracy are mental(or just bad tecnical ability off course). people dont want to go somewhere - so they end up going there under pressure..

Think about the shot you want to play. NOT THE SHOT YOU DONT WANT TO PLAY!!

Also NEVER take techique on to the course. Play with what you have. Only think about the shots(and possibly the limitations of you game). Dont worry about trying to imporve your problems on the course. Understand the stats of your bad shots and play sensibly based on your short comings..

Missing fairways isnt that bad. I would rather hit the rough 14 times a round rather than hit the fairway 10 times and 4 OB's

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:47 pm

ALways makes me laugh how obsessed amateurs are with distance, probably the main reason they never improve, sucked in by the marketing hype, venturing onto the course with their new driver that gives them 30 yards extra, but somehow they still knock it round in 92, only difference is they're £350 lighter in the wallet! lol

Spend the time on the short game and bob's your auntie.....SIMPLES! That will be £50 please.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:56 pm

JPX wrote:ALways makes me laugh how obsessed amateurs are with distance, probably the main reason they never improve, sucked in by the marketing hype, venturing onto the course with their new driver that gives them 30 yards extra, but somehow they still knock it round in 92, only difference is they're £350 lighter in the wallet! lol

Spend the time on the short game and bob's your auntie.....SIMPLES! That will be £50 please.

Very good JPX........except the fact that Mac asked us to focus on the teeshot. picard
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Very good oldshanker......he also posed the teaser of accuracy over distance hence my post.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 pm

No - you just wanted to have your smart alecky snide say, to which of course you are entitled. Thus demonstrating the veracity of your location.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:56 am

I meant the accuracy of the the tee shot, but just as a starting point. I am interested to hear how people get accuracy throughout the bag.

So far people have concentrated on aiming as a way to get accuracy but I would be more interested in some swing mechanics that promote a more accurate shot.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 am

Mac - only thing I can offer is not to swing flat out. The harder/faster I swing the less I can rely on being accurate.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:01 am

McLaren wrote:I meant the accuracy of the the tee shot, but just as a starting point. I am interested to hear how people get accuracy throughout the bag.

So far people have concentrated on aiming as a way to get accuracy but I would be more interested in some swing mechanics that promote a more accurate shot.

never going to be good advice when no one knows your game pal..

its all about getting the correct set up to start with i suppose- then swing on perfect plane with perfect weight transfer.. Learn that and you got no problems Smile

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 am

I am not looking for advice, I just want to hear general theory and technique others use to promote accuracy.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 am

get a lesson mate..

if your swing is flawed no little trick is going to help you personally- you cant just do one mechanical thing and the ball will magically go straight!!. perfect your swing(that is the only theory!!!- there is no other mate) then everything will come into place- acuracy. length, and offcourse the most important of the lot which is ball striking (distance control and ball control)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:55 am

Blimey oldshank don't hold back will ya? No wonder its so quiet on here! (haven't just bought a new driver have you?)

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

mysti

As i said, this is not about anyone in particular. I am looking for people to outline what the understand the theory behind accuracy to be.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:28 am

Theory? Deliver the clubhead to the ball such that the ball ends up landing where you want it. There are too many variables here and too many ways to hit a shot where you want it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:32 am

Mac the point is - accuracy isnt just abpout left or right- its also about distance control- ie dont hit it long or short!

anyone could hit the ball straight, just chip or putt the ball to the hole

Its a balance.. and that is waht makes it so hard to do. People that say accuracy is key-may miss the point - its very much about length and controlled length as well..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by davesrighthere Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 am

I find that 'throwing' the clubhead in direction of the target helps, captures the feel of a good release also.

My tuppence worth. angel

davesrighthere

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:54 pm

I like to think of a pendulum with driver... Helps keep it smooth, and helps me finish the swing off... I have a habit of letting rip too much with the driver and hit at the ball not through it, I find this helps with tempo and release... For me at least.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:47 pm

davesrighthere wrote:I find that 'throwing' the clubhead in direction of the target helps, captures the feel of a good release also.

My tuppence worth. angel

yeah like that thought myself...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:get a lesson mate..
And therein lies another problem, a very high % of amateurs who are simply unable to/have the ability to make the changes they are being taught to.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 pm

JPX wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:get a lesson mate..
And therein lies another problem, a very high % of amateurs who are simply unable to/have the ability to make the changes they are being taught to.

There you go see, I was almost at the point of apologising for jumping down you throat last night, but fortunately you stopped me just in time with the above.

You really do have a very high opinion of your own self importance don't you JPX. At least I think you do, because actually your post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 pm

All that vitriol from just a couple of posts oldshank?

What's so wrong with my post this time? Why does it make no sense? Seems fairly straight forward to me, surely you've seen the guys who've had endless lessons but makes no changes at all on the course?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 pm

I am in grave danger of going off topic here - the reason why I had a pop at you earlier on.

I do not necessarily disagree with your comments (when I can finally work out just what you are trying to say). I do however disagree with you bringing up the old chestnut of practice your short game!! When the original poster specifically asked that first we concentrate on the tee shot. Your short game comment will be relevant later on....SIMPLES!

All said in a non-vitrioloc manner but with a very hefty dose of sarcasm

Last edited by oldshanker on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat fingers)
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:39 pm

... Sometimes that's down to the teacher not the pupil though wouldn't you say?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:43 pm

Really? That's what upset you? Sheesh, lighten up dude. Your over reaction is likely to drive people away from the golf forum.

Milkyboy, sometimes but very rarely.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Dunno jpx, had a variety of teaching pro's down the years and watched many others in action. Standards are pretty variable I'd say. Clearly, you can't make a silk purse etc, but being a good golfer doesn't necessarily make you a good teacher. Just my view.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:55 pm

super_realist wrote:Interesting Mac,
I've become a far better golfer for not caring a jot about swing mechanics other than tempo.

Interesting Super, I had a lesson just last week before my new season resumes, with the intention of rejoining a local club and re-acquiring a handicap. He has given me essentially 2 fundamentals to concentrate on [1] my position relative to club and ball [2] keeping a consistant tempo.

My last lesson circa 2 years a different pro said I was far too close to the ball and advised to move further back... essentially I've gone the complete opposite and was too far away yielding a very shallow swing (...top off my swing the club was almost vertical). He also noted that when I got to the top off my swing I had a slight pause beforestarting my down swing (...this was in part intentional as my father said I was often over swinging) pro said to stop that and think nothing except hitting the ball and try to have no pause at all and that the tempo/momentum will yield a natural swing/path.

The difference in that 1 * 30 min lesson is astounding, the mechanics of my swing has not changed, other than im clsoer to the ball at address (giving a steeper swing) and im doing my best to keep the tempo consistant throughout, difference in ball flight/accuracy/feeling is unrecognisable for what on the face of things (to me) were relatively subtle changes.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 pm

milkyboy wrote:Dunno jpx, had a variety of teaching pro's down the years and watched many others in action. Standards are pretty variable I'd say. Clearly, you can't make a silk purse etc, but being a good golfer doesn't necessarily make you a good teacher. Just my view.
Well lets be honest, most of them are teaching cause they're not very good on course!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 pm

'Not very good' being a relative thing, in this Example. But no doubt something in the 'those than can do, those that can't teach'.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Yeah should have put 'not good enough' maybe?

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down