The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Eddie Biting Off More Than He Can Chew?

+2
Strongback
davidemore
6 posters

Go down

Is Eddie Biting Off More Than He Can Chew? Empty Is Eddie Biting Off More Than He Can Chew?

Post by davidemore Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:18 am

After last weekends average card in Liverpool is Eddie Hearn looking a little too far into the future? I mean he has a lot of young talent that he is bleeding through, but is he putting them on too many shows, and diluting the class element of boxing as a result? We don't want umpteen learning fights/ prospects on display, surely?

I think what disappointed me most was the fact that Eddie knew he had a stinker in Bellew vs Chilemba but didn't give the card any dynamite. Plus, the London card previous to this one was utter toffee. Complete mismatches, guys who didn't even want to be there, it was awful.

What concerns me is Sky's commitment. Eddie is looking towards 2014, and beyond, but will Sky even increase the number of shows they put on? If not we could be left with more bloated cards such as Liverpool's. Cards where too many upstarts are trying to show off, getting frustrated, and ultimately, looking amateur.

Can Eddie get a stable like GBP where he can create exciting match ups at world level? Let's hope so. heart

Thoughts?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Is Eddie Biting Off More Than He Can Chew? Empty Re: Is Eddie Biting Off More Than He Can Chew?

Post by Strongback Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:34 am

Eddie wasn't too complimentary towards Bellew in his blog on the Sky website.

Thought it was a bit disingenuous given he promotes Bellew. It's alright being honest but without loyalty to his fighters he runs the risk of losing them.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Is Eddie Biting Off More Than He Can Chew? Empty Re: Is Eddie Biting Off More Than He Can Chew?

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:40 am

hearn has the talent to stack cards, the only problem is if his fighters stop winning, he will probably not have the means to build them back up unless its on sky, which obviously isn't what you'd want

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:45 am

Having good fighters is one thing, he still has to make great fights. Not saying there haven't been some good match ups but he has to keep it interesting while still giving his fighters every chance to win.

Some of the title shots he is talking about are like feeding the Christians to the lions. He needs to protect his fighters yet give them a good test.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:49 am

and also to be fair, i thought crolla vs matthews was a entertaining fight, and look forwards to a rubber match

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:04 am

Crolla vs Matthews was good but by no means great. I think Hearn is too loyal to his fighters, he's done wonders for Bellew but Bellew hasn't really done wonders for him , but talk and look cagey, at times. He needs to work on his emotions that one. Getting Kell his shot has stalled his career a bit too, injuries and American promoters are to blame, but still.

I want Eddie to do well because he obviously cares. Let's just hope he puts big fights on soon. Barker vs Chavez makes sense. Darren is at his peak and its now or never. He's fought two bums recently, that's enough for a world level contender.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:07 am

Strongback wrote:Eddie wasn't too complimentary towards Bellew in his blog on the Sky website.

Thought it was a bit disingenuous given he promotes Bellew. It's alright being honest but without loyalty to his fighters he runs the risk of losing them.

I thought this too. It was very refreshing to hear him being honest, but maybe he was a bit too honest.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:16 am

I think Tony really let himself down in that fight. Thuggish, amateurish, needlessly disrespectful, gobby and unable to back up said gob. The fans left as soon as the result was given, says a lot about what the majority thought of his performance. And the way he moaned and whined and accused after? Anyone would think he was boxing in a barn, not at home, in front of 7000 fans, on Sky Sports, for a shot at the best belt (arguably) in the world.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:19 am

Boxtthis wrote:
Strongback wrote:Eddie wasn't too complimentary towards Bellew in his blog on the Sky website.

I thought this too. It was very refreshing to hear him being honest, but maybe he was a bit too honest.

I think Eddie runs the risk of trying to be too fan friendly. He pays attention to twitter, the boxing sites and forums and so far he has become very popular. It's just I'm not sure if Eddie can do what the fans want and be a good promoter to his fighters. There is a balance and it's no surprise most promoters are not liked.

Is Eddie's Achilles heel that he needs to be liked?

He almost seemed to be apologizing to Sky for Bellews performance.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

Crolla - mathews was the dynamite..Just didn't go off..........

Can't blame Hearn for that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:53 pm

Chilmba is always going to make his opponents look bad. My fear is that he wins the rematch and we have to watch Chilmba vs Dawson...you'll be begging to rewatch his first fight with Bellew after that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:55 pm

You don't have to watch anything..............

Always catch a Meg Ryan flick instead..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Crolla - mathews was the dynamite..Just didn't go off..........

Can't blame Hearn for that..

Agreed

I also think Hearn has done a great job of turning Bellew into a headliner. Bellew just didn't do the business last week. That said, he was in against a very awkward fighter.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You don't have to watch anything..............

Always catch a Meg Ryan flick instead..
Rather watch a Chad Dawson fight that suffer anything she's in. Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, now that's a different matter entirely

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:37 pm

Tony Bellew needs to take responsibility for his poor performance. The man gassed from too many missed haymakers and was lucky not to lose IMO. Very lucky.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:42 pm

Wasn't lucky not to lose..........

Chilemba never came close to winning seven rounds..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:45 pm

Debatable, TRUSS. Both were ugly, both grown so ugly.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down