The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Europa League rejig

3 posters

Go down

Europa League rejig Empty Europa League rejig

Post by spencerclarke Sat 06 Apr 2013, 11:22 am

Morning all,

As well as the English clubs have done this season it is clear that the Europa League needs a rejig to try and claim back some of the prestige it once held. I was listening to five live the other night and one commentator (I can't remember which) had what to me seemed an inspirational idea. As the FA cup is probably the most successful competition going how about a straight draw 1 v 1 no two legged afair. To apease the money men you could include more teams and you would get that drama that is missing from the current group stage. It sounded a great idea to me. Thoughts people?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Europa League rejig Empty Re: Europa League rejig

Post by Guest Sat 06 Apr 2013, 12:00 pm

I'd like to see the winner of the Europa League get a Champions League spot. I'm also against the idea of CL failures dropping into it and hope Chelsea don't win the competition this year. How can you reward failure?

Not too sure about a one off tie myself but wouldn't be against a straight knock out competition (2 legs) ala the old UEFA Cup.

The tournament only really seems to garner any interest at the QF stages. The attendances from Thursday night were all very good so it's still a worthwhile competition on that score.

I'm also against a losing FA Cup finalist getting a spot which looks like being the case this year. Unless of course Wigan or Millwall can pull of a miracle. Getting a European spot after progressing 5 matches whilst - lets say - Everton will miss out after finishing 6th in a top league after 38 games is just wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:07 pm

Pretty much agree with all you have said there mate. I do think the one off tie has masses of appeal though as it creates a much better chance of a giant killing and which fan doesn't enjoy that. Let the money men keep the champions league as one that favours the big clubs and make the Europa League the one for the fans. I'd imagine you would see a huge increase in attendances over a few years.

Suprisingly apparently Spurs have bucked the trend this year for attendances occording to 5 live, but they have been the exception.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Apr 2013, 8:40 pm

The name grinds on me too Spencer! The Europa League just sounds so cheap and tacky. It took me a good few years to accept the Champions League as a name Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sun 07 Apr 2013, 10:15 am

Yes I never liked it either. I still generally call it the uefa cup. Actually with the egos they have its bizarre that it changed at all. It wouldnt be suprised if they do a rebrand it goes back.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 11 Apr 2013, 5:35 pm

spencerclarke wrote:Pretty much agree with all you have said there mate. I do think the one off tie has masses of appeal though as it creates a much better chance of a giant killing and which fan doesn't enjoy that. Let the money men keep the champions league as one that favours the big clubs and make the Europa League the one for the fans. I'd imagine you would see a huge increase in attendances over a few years.

Suprisingly apparently Spurs have bucked the trend this year for attendances occording to 5 live, but they have been the exception.

Erm...... UEFA? Yeah, UEFA don't like the big clubs out. Small clubs winning isn't good business.

I agree with pretty much everything on this page. Although as a Chelsea fan I disagree with Freekshow's point about rewarding failure plus we earned our Europa spot fair and square as FA Cup winners. Wink

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 5:43 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:
spencerclarke wrote:Pretty much agree with all you have said there mate. I do think the one off tie has masses of appeal though as it creates a much better chance of a giant killing and which fan doesn't enjoy that. Let the money men keep the champions league as one that favours the big clubs and make the Europa League the one for the fans. I'd imagine you would see a huge increase in attendances over a few years.

Erm...... UEFA? Yeah, UEFA don't like the big clubs out. Small clubs winning isn't good business.

I agree with pretty much everything on this page. Although as a Chelsea fan I disagree with Freekshow's point about rewarding failure plus we earned our Europa spot fair and square as FA Cup winners. Wink

You're more than a pretty face Jay. Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 11 Apr 2013, 8:27 pm

FreekShow wrote:
MockingJay33 wrote:

You're more than a pretty face Jay. Laugh

I don't know what to make of that. Thank you? Laugh

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 8:29 pm

1-0 Tottenham, Dempsey scores, Basel making it easy for them.

Tie open now, Basel will be forced to come out of their shell.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 8:37 pm

Basel straight back in it with their first real attack, and now they can presumably retreat back into their shell again.

Tottenham just don't look that great defensively, opened up time and time again. If they do qualify for the Champions League next year, they'll have to improve massively.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down