The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

He's still got it !

+4
marty2086
fa0019
thebluesmancometh
gregortree
8 posters

Go down

He's still got it ! Empty He's still got it !

Post by gregortree Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:28 am

Still hungry after all these years
OK
Go Jonny go go go !
Jonny Wilkinson is relishing a return to Twickenham after guiding Toulon into the Heineken Cup semi-finals with a typically accurate kicking display.
The 2003 World Cup-winner landed six penalties and a last-gasp drop-goal as Toulon beat Leicester 21-15 to set up a last-four encounter with Saracens.
In addition to his kicking excellence, he also made a real impact in defence against Leicester as Toulon reached the Heineken Cup last four for the first time, the fly-half adding that he signed a new contract "for days like this". "It's a great victory for the club. It was a big occasion and this is a first for us," said the former Newcastle player.
"The joy and desire to play with this team, the energy and togetherness we feel is what has kept me going.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

He's still got it ! Empty Re: He's still got it !

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:33 am

Not to mention the multi millions of pounds spent on playing talent around him, the near dominant pack in 99% of games, the armchair ride he receives and the love the chairman has for him to base the club around his game.

His goal kicking is top notch, but is more than matched by Farrell, 1/2p and possibly Laidlaw, who might all find themselves on the pitch at once.

His defencive work is excellent too, but with possibly a fit and firing Cooper opposite he will need to become quicker and more agile than he is now, Farell and Sexton would be better options IMHO.

And with the likes of ROberts, Tuilagi, Barritt etc in midfeild we could play 3 Lomu's in the back 3 in their prime and would still never score out wide with Wilko in at 10.

All that said I would consider him, as much as I would Stephen Jones, or ROG, for their wealths of experience and pro attitudes!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:35 am

If he dominates Farrell in the SF should he tour ahead of him?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:38 am

ROG had a good game yesterday does that mean he should be considered?

Like bluesman said hes got some talent and its as much about the sum of all the parts than the individuals and with the Lions its a tougher challenge with players getting used to each other still come the 1st and even the 3rd Test

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:38 am

Didn't Leicesters pack dominate Toulon yesterday??? From what I've seen anyhow.

Didn't seem to be an armchair ride.

As much as the Toulon pack is strong... they've ain't half old... not very dynamic.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:41 am

Bluesman - Leicester were dominant or had parity upfront for large stretches of the game yesterday. But JW totally outplayed Flood, totally outcaptained him too. The guy radiates calm, whereas Flood was mouthy and flustered.

IMO, Farrell lacks temperament under pressure, at least he did against us. His DG technique is not in the same class either.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:43 am

samuraidragon wrote:Bluesman - Leicester were dominant or had parity upfront for large stretches of the game yesterday. But JW totally outplayed Flood, totally outcaptained him too. The guy radiates calm, whereas Flood was mouthy and flustered.

IMO, Farrell lacks temperament under pressure, at least he did against us. His DG technique is not in the same class either.

You've convinced me, I will sacrifice all back play, and any threat from the 10 or out wide so Wilko can outcaptain Cooper, and have a better chance of drop goals OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:44 am

fa0019 wrote:Didn't Leicesters pack dominate Toulon yesterday??? From what I've seen anyhow.

As much as the Toulon pack is strong... they've ain't half old... not very dynamic.

Agreed. It was a surprise to see former legends like Sheridan and Hayman looking so old and tired.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:46 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:
samuraidragon wrote:Bluesman - Leicester were dominant or had parity upfront for large stretches of the game yesterday. But JW totally outplayed Flood, totally outcaptained him too. The guy radiates calm, whereas Flood was mouthy and flustered.

You've convinced me, I will sacrifice all back play, and any threat from the 10 or out wide so Wilko can outcaptain Cooper, and have a better chance of drop goals OK

There you are. I knew you'd see sense. Very Happy

Seriously - you think you are going to get sparkling back play with Farell at 10?

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

Farrell isn't known for his attacking proficiencies and I wouldn't rank him higher or lower than JW.
HIs place kicking is very good but he's stuffed it up a few times when the moment counted.... missed vital kicks vs. Wales and his drop goal attempt at the death vs. SA in the 3rd summer test showed inexperience.

If JW can show in the next few high profile games he's on equal form or even dominating then I would probably go with him over Farrell in terms of 10 because its a one off series and composure counts.

With Sexton if fit you have a good backline organiser, a good kicker... if the game is tight at the end though and he can prove he's back on form then JW knows the pressure of these sorts of games. A decent bench option.

The 2nd test won't be won through running rugby... it will be won by the team who holds their nerve. In 97 the boks scored 3 tries to 0... yet lost the match as they lost compsure. Its the one thing JW still has going for him and why people like myself think he's a decent bet for the tour.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:47 pm

samuraidragon wrote:
fa0019 wrote:Didn't Leicesters pack dominate Toulon yesterday??? From what I've seen anyhow.

Agreed. It was a surprise to see former legends like Sheridan and Hayman looking so old and tired.

It doesn't seem clear how Sheridan has been keeping Jenkins on the bench. Cole a player Geth handled comfortably in the 6 nations, battered him.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Mon 08 Apr 2013, 1:50 pm

samuraidragon wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Seriously - you think you are going to get sparkling back play with Farell at 10?

No but unless Sexton falls into a coma Farrell won't be playing 10. Jonny Wilkinson kicks kicks, This can only be news to anyone under 10 years old.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:24 pm

dragonbreath wrote:
samuraidragon wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

No but unless Sexton falls into a coma Farrell won't be playing 10. Jonny Wilkinson kicks kicks, This can only be news to anyone under 10 years old.

I actually don't think Farell gets enough credit for his distribution, the likes of Barrit and Tuilagi are extremely limited ball in hand, Goode doesn't get involved enough and yet centres and back 3 are getting chances and scoring tries.

What Farell offers more than JW, is a varied kicking game, the option to come flat and play a tight distribution game and an actual running threat, he's no slouch in defence either, the kids impressed me!!

But as said Sexton is a yard ahead of anyone else at present, and with 1/2p near certain for the FB role goalkicking is covered.

As I said though JW would add an element of experience, leadership and professionalism to a party, but with the likes of BOD, POC, Murray, Heaslip, Roberts etc we can't take all options of experience. I personally think we have enough experience and leadership in a potential test team at present with the likes of Phillips, Roberts, Jones, Heaslip, Brown, Robshaw etc, JW and POC would be IMHO passengers for the sake of it, that could be attributed to BOD too.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:53 pm

JW won't go as he'll still be involved with Toulon by the time the plane leaves these shores.

Looking around on a few Aussie sites the general feeling is that we don't have a chance if the Lions are mainly made of Welsh players (their words not mine) the only player they fear is 1/2p in the backs and the only forward they don't want to see is Sheridan.

For me Wade has to go, he'd become a Lions legend on those hard pitches, how he wasn't in the England team I'll never know.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:08 pm

If Gatland chooses Gethin but not JW on the sole grounds that he doesn't choose players not available on the leave date then it would strike as pure hypocrisy.

If JW is good enough come selection then he should go... and any other player who is in the same category.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:09 pm

VictorU3 wrote:JW won't go as he'll still be involved with Toulon by the time the plane leaves these shores.

Looking around on a few Aussie sites the general feeling is that we don't have a chance if the Lions are mainly made of Welsh players (their words not mine) the only player they fear is 1/2p in the backs and the only forward they don't want to see is Sheridan.

For me Wade has to go, he'd become a Lions legend on those hard pitches, how he wasn't in the England team I'll never know.

Teddy did single handedly destroy the Aussie front row at HQ at loosehead, although that was a few years ago.
Glad the Aussies remember him still.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:15 pm

fa0019 wrote:If Gatland chooses Gethin but not JW on the sole grounds that he doesn't choose players not available on the leave date then it would strike as pure hypocrisy.

If JW is good enough come selection then he should go... and any other player who is in the same category.

Fair point but Jenkins seems to only warm the bench for Toulon, so will he be involved?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 08 Apr 2013, 4:00 pm

I'd take him over Farrell

Then again I'd take a jalfrezi enema over Farrell...

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 4:18 pm

Looseheaded wrote:I'd take him over Farrell

Then again I'd take a jalfrezi enema over Farrell...

Laugh

I say leave Faerrell and Wilkinson at home and take Madigan, strong kicking stats, good in the open and Id probably go for that jalfrezi enema myself rather than sit and watch the Lions with Farrell at 10

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 08 Apr 2013, 4:50 pm

I hope that is a take home, as opposed to at the restaurant, Jalfrezi.
Washed down & out with a cold lager.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum