The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray's Messages Of Support To The GB Boys

+6
lags72
CaledonianCraig
Danny_1982
banbrotam
Born Slippy
hawkeye
10 posters

Go down

Murray's Messages Of Support To The GB Boys Empty Murray's Messages Of Support To The GB Boys

Post by hawkeye Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:21 pm

This from Neil Harman of The Times today. Sorry no link as it's PPV (But well worth it)

The messages arrived at almost every change of ends, little notes of support, inspirational words and impulses as Andy Murray watched the Davis Cup tie that he wasn’t able to play in become one that prepared the way for a sparkling return later in the year.

The phone of Leon Smith, the Great Britain captain, was buzzing constantly on the third day of the 3-2 victory over Russia in Coventry that secured the nation a place in tomorrow’s draw for a World Group play-off for which Murray has promised he will be available.

“The main theme was how proud Andy was of the boys, the way they were playing and the job they were doing,” Smith said. “You could see how pumped the team were to know that he was following the whole thing from America and what they were doing meant a great deal to him.”

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Murray's Messages Of Support To The GB Boys Empty Re: Murray's Messages Of Support To The GB Boys

Post by Born Slippy Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:23 pm

He's such a nice guy isn't he? Good to see him supporting the team.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Murray's Messages Of Support To The GB Boys Empty Re: Murray's Messages Of Support To The GB Boys

Post by banbrotam Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:38 pm

I'm almost stunned. No not by Murray's messages, but HE posting a positive article about him

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:43 pm

I'm really confused... This looks like a positive (or at least not negative) Murray article from HE.

This has completely thrown me and I now realise anything in this world is possible.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm

Wow I must bookmark this page.

Perhaps I should wait for the punchline though.....
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:50 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Wow I must bookmark this page

Laugh Laugh Laugh

I was thinking of writing an article about HE's article!!

She'll be back to her cutting self, once she's had a lie down Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:57 pm

Has someone hacked her account?

Did she accidentally leave ".... And then he killed some kittens" out of the title?

Someone please explain what is going on?!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:00 pm

Perhaps a thinly-veiled dig at Andy not playing?? Forgive us Hawkeye if this isn't the case but surely you can understand our mass shock.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:18 pm

I'm inclined to think you're reading between the hawkeye lines CC - and correctly so. There is surely a sub-text implied by quoting the Times article : it's all very well for Andy to send supportive messages to the team, but instead of nice words he should have been there in the flesh and playing.

I would be only too happy to have my theory definitively proved wrong BUT - until I see an unequivocal post from hawkeye saying that she fully respects Andy's decision to give this particular tie a miss and agreeing that his messages helped inspire the team - I'm sticking with it.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:24 pm

lags72 wrote:I'm inclined to think you're reading between the hawkeye lines CC - and correctly so. There is surely a sub-text implied by quoting the Times article : it's all very well for Andy to send supportive messages to the team, but instead of nice words he should have been there in the flesh and playing.

I would be only too happy to have my theory definitively proved wrong BUT - until I see an unequivocal post from hawkeye saying that she fully respects Andy's decision to give this particular tie a miss and agreeing that that his messages helped inspire the team - I'm sticking with it.

Yes it is what I suspected.

On the topic though I'd sooner Andy missed out the next match as well and let Evans and Ward carry on. After all there is no way on Earth GB will ever win the Davis Cup with just one world class player so best to let Ward and Evans use these limited opportunities as a chance to better themselves and build confidence and perhaps inspire them to climb up the rankings. Just my thoughts.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:37 pm

Well there's much to be said for that CC , ie as regards exploiting the confidence that Evans and Ward will have gained from their respective wins.

Perhaps a good 'compromise' might be for Andy to join the squad in September but for him to be used as little as possible - if that makes sense as a viable proposition.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:44 pm

lags72 wrote:Well there's much to be said for that CC , ie as regards exploiting the confidence that Evans and Ward will have gained from their respective wins.

Perhaps a good 'compromise' might be for Andy to join the squad in September but for him to be used as little as possible - if that makes sense as a viable proposition.

That is an idea but can't see how that can be achieved. As I understand it once named in the side (unless you play him in the doubles which is rather defeating the cause) then he'd need to play in two singles matches. The only way around that would be to have in a coach/advisory type role.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:54 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
lags72 wrote:I'm inclined to think you're reading between the hawkeye lines CC - and correctly so. There is surely a sub-text implied by quoting the Times article : it's all very well for Andy to send supportive messages to the team, but instead of nice words he should have been there in the flesh and playing.

I would be only too happy to have my theory definitively proved wrong BUT - until I see an unequivocal post from hawkeye saying that she fully respects Andy's decision to give this particular tie a miss and agreeing that that his messages helped inspire the team - I'm sticking with it.

On the topic though I'd sooner Andy missed out the next match as well and let Evans and Ward carry on. After all there is no way on Earth GB will ever win the Davis Cup with just one world class player so best to let Ward and Evans use these limited opportunities as a chance to better themselves and build confidence and perhaps inspire them to climb up the rankings. Just my thoughts.

Is GB's situation much different to Canada though? They have one singles player, who isn't as good as Murray, and a decent doubles pair. They are already in the SF and, whilst they will be definite underdogs against Serbia if Djokovic plays, they are only two matches away from the Cup.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:01 am

Well Canada do have two players inside the top 100 and two more ranked between 100 and 200. Ward is ranked 217 and Evans is ranked 324.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:13 am

I'm with Born Slippy. If Murray doesn't want to prioritise Davis Cup that's fine, but don't make his decision about anything other than him.

I think they probably wouldn't get too far in the WG anyway - Murray would have to win both singles each tie, and there are plenty players capable of beating him in there plus although the doubles pairing is pretty good I think they could be a bit exposed at WG level. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. After all, who'd have thought the Czechs would win last year.

I do remember watching the last match Murray played in Sept (2011 against Hungary?) and he did look absolutely knackered throughout the match, so it's understandable when he doesn't play.

Anyway, the strangest part of the article is that Leon Smith was looking at his phone during the matches - is that normal?!?

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:22 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well Canada do have two players inside the top 100 and two more ranked between 100 and 200. Ward is ranked 217 and Evans is ranked 324.

Levine hasn't yet played for Canada, so I'd discount him for now. Pospisil and Dancevic are slightly better than Evans and Ward but are still heavily outgunned by most teams they face.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 10:39 am

Born Slippy wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Is GB's situation much different to Canada though? They have one singles player, who isn't as good as Murray, and a decent doubles pair. They are already in the SF and, whilst they will be definite underdogs against Serbia if Djokovic plays, they are only two matches away from the Cup.

Fair point but it should be remembered that Murray has played numerous ties and, until recently, was the only one winning any matches and it cost him a chunk of 2009 season. IMHO he needed to leave the others to stand on their own feet for a bit. Thankfully they have risen to the challenge and there is now the possibility of GB with Murray doing well. All credit to Leon Smith, every team member has mentioned his support and leadership.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 09 Apr 2013, 10:42 am

At this rate murray may not even get in the team! Wink

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 10:47 am

LuvSports! wrote:At this rate murray may not even get in the team! Wink

Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 09 Apr 2013, 10:52 am

Bring back Bogdanovic, that's what I say.

It's looking good; Flembo and Marray are one of the best doubles pairings in the DC (I can only think of the USA and possibly Spain as being better off the top of my head) and if they win their match and Murray wins his two matches, GB cannot lose!!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down