The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - The Home Stretch

+10
Portnoy's Complaint
funnyExiledScot
beshocked
Effervescing Elephant
Jimpy
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
yappysnap
HongKongCherry
Knackeredknees
LondonTiger
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - The Home Stretch - Page 2 Empty Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - The Home Stretch

Post by LondonTiger Tue 09 Apr 2013, 8:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

League Table

Team Played Won Drawn Lost For Against Bonus Pts Points
1 Saracens 19 15 1 3 440 280 5 67
2 Leicester 19 13 1 5 445 282 9 63
3 Harlequins 19 12 0 7 473 399 8 56
4 Northampton 19 12 0 7 404 390 6 54
5 Gloucester 19 11 1 7 439 386 8 54
6 Bath 19 9 1 9 402 362 10 48
7 London Wasps 19 9 0 10 451 435 11 47
8 Exeter 19 9 1 9 438 377 8 46
9 Worcester 19 5 1 13 357 425 11 33
10 London Irish 19 6 1 12 386 514 4 30
11 Sale 19 5 1 13 317 520 4 26
12 London Welsh 19 4 0 15 337 519 7 18

Fixtures

Fri 12th Apr 13
19:45 Sale Sharks v Gloucester Rugby ESPN

Sat 13th Apr 13
14:15 Harlequins v Bath Rugby ESPN
15:00 Exeter Chiefs v London Irish

Sun 14th Apr 13
15:00 London Welsh v Northampton Saints
15:00 Saracens v Worcester Warriors
15:45 Leicester Tigers v London Wasps Sky

Preview

6 AP sides entered European 1/4 finals, but just 1 progressed to semis. Wasps anf tigers may be able to find some solace in their own performances in matches they were not favourites for the win. Bath, Gloucester and Quins will have been disappointed not just with defeats, but also with the manner of the defeats. All 5 teams are still in the mix for play-off or HC spots so will need to bounce back quickly.

The round opens on ESPN with struggling Sale hosting a misfiring Gloucester team. Both teams need the win and in the end it could come down to who wants it more. Gloucester have the attacking ability to really punish any Sale defensive frailties - yet Fridays in Salford are not easy. I have no idea how to call this. Logic suggests Gloucester fighting for a play-off spot should be too strong, yet their performances since the 6Ns finished has seen more bad than good. I am prevaricating, every time I decide who will win I think ah but.....

On Saturday two of the losing teams from last week meet at the Stoop, live on ESPN. Since winning the LV cup, Quins have lost 3 matches in a row. On Saturday they completely failed to support each other, in attack or defence. They shoul dhave had a right rollicking this week as that display showed a real lack of pride and respect for each other, not something I expected to say about Quins. Quins have to get back to attacking and defending in groups, constantly changing the focus of attacks and looking to move the ball quickly. Bath need this win if they are to believe they can push for a European spot and will arrive in Twickenham with a much bigger pack. In the end it may come down to which teams 10 plays better - but will the DoRs go for old or young options? Whilst I have been saying this for the last couple of weeks, Quins should have too much skill and cohesion.

Exeter host a London Irish team that have little to play for. Half of the LI team are leaving and the club look safe from relegation. Rob Baxter's elevation to England management for the summer tour have led to rumours he may be looking to move on permanently. Whilst he may be ambitious he is also devoted to the Chiefs cause. Exeter can steal a march on Bath and Wasps, who both have tricky away fixtures, in the fight for HEC spot.

London Welsh have to win to maintain any hope of avoiding relegation (unless courts help). Northampton are not a team who will give much to a "weaker" side. LW have to start well as if Saints open up a lead they could pulverise them. It is unlikely to be pretty, but Saints really should be able to bash and bosh their way to 4 tries and the 5pts they need in the fight for play-offs.

Saracens face Worcester at Aliianz Park. We can expect to see rather a lot of squad rotation from Sarries - even so they should record the win that would guarantee a home semi with some ease.

Tigers will be hurting following Sundays defeat at Toulon. Marcos Ayerza's fractured clavicle sees him join Louis Deacon and Miles Benjamin on the "out for the season" list. For me Ayerza is the best LH in the premiership and his absence is a major loss for us - but should not be critical to matters this week. Tigers will look to use the power of the pack to deny Wasps atatcking opportunities, while using their strong running game to score the tries that will move them closer to a home semi. Wasps have shown regularly that they can score tries - only Tigers have scored more in the AP - yet they concede points by the bucketload too.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - The Home Stretch - Page 2 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - The Home Stretch

Post by LondonTiger Sat 13 Apr 2013, 5:51 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Yea those horrible London teams that have supplied finalists and Prem winners every season for over a decade, MASSIVELY over represented Wink

2007 Gloucester 16 Leicester 44
2006 Sale 45 Leicester 20

A decade obviously means something different to Quins fans Wink

You didn't have to mention the score LT! Sad

Sorry HKC. You will notice I did at least publish the thumping Sale gave to us the year before.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - The Home Stretch - Page 2 Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Round 20 - The Home Stretch

Post by yappysnap Sat 13 Apr 2013, 9:09 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Well, Quins halt the losing streak, and in the end it was comfortable. Not a performance that will please players or staff, but a win is a win.

Agree with this, a win is a win is a win but Quins were so poor. There was no real difference in playing style or skill levels today to last weekend, we're just lucky that Bath were poor and only looked to muck around on the floor and be as negative as possible.

Still a lot of work to be done by the Quins team if they want to pose any sort of trouble in the play offs. At least Care was far better this weekend and the Botica/Nev combo looked good. Hopper should never play 12. Johnston gets more and more lazy each week.

Wayne Barnes was truly awful, killed any kind of contest at the scrums, destroyed any momentum in open play and completely gave up trying to ref Bath in the rucks and off side line.

Sorry for the rant but just got back from the game and pretty disappointed in all honesty.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 14 Apr 2013, 9:04 am

Great to see Jack Nowell and Henry Slade on the field for Exe towards the end of the game

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 14 Apr 2013, 9:12 am

Saw Slade tweet about getting on at the end, must have been a great moment for him. Congrats Exeter OK

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 14 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

Tigers decide to rest Tom Youngs, Parling and Croft this weekend so have made some late changes. The starting team looks like:

Mulipola, Hawkins, Cole
Slater, Kitchener
Mafi, Crane, Salvi
Youngs, Flood
Allen, Manu
Morris, Tait, Thompstone

Bench: Balmain, Chuter, Castro, B Deacon, Waldrom, Harrison, Ford, Smith.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 14 Apr 2013, 3:42 pm

Tiiigers!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 14 Apr 2013, 5:06 pm

London Welsh have been relegated.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 14 Apr 2013, 5:10 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:London Welsh have been relegated.

and they've lost their financial backing at the end of the season. Not a good couple of weeks for Welsh.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 14 Apr 2013, 5:45 pm

Odd to watch Tigers live training run today. Still waiting on the actual match...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 14 Apr 2013, 8:31 pm

yappysnap wrote:Odd to watch Tigers live training run today. Still waiting on the actual match...

When we won so easily - am I allowed to feel a touch disappointed with the performance?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:11 am

LondonTiger wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Odd to watch Tigers live training run today. Still waiting on the actual match...

When we won so easily - am I allowed to feel a touch disappointed with the performance?

Mood. Hoover.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:38 am

Honestly I know it wasn't AB standard but compared to Quins who you'll probably play in the knock outs you were light years ahead!

For the first 50 you had total control and it was only iffy passing from Youngs which curtailed your attacks. After that you obviously took your foot off the gas but the game was well won by then.

Quins looked like a bunch of amateurs compared to you boys and I'm fricking worried about how we're going to stop all your big runners, especially if you actually bother to use Tuilagi as well!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:41 am

Yappy after this weekend, who would you prefer to face out of sarries or tigers?

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:02 am

yappysnap wrote:Honestly I know it wasn't AB standard but compared to Quins who you'll probably play in the knock outs you were light years ahead!

For the first 50 you had total control and it was only iffy passing from Youngs which curtailed your attacks. After that you obviously took your foot off the gas but the game was well won by then.

Quins looked like a bunch of amateurs compared to you boys and I'm fricking worried about how we're going to stop all your big runners, especially if you actually bother to use Tuilagi as well!

Like I said on the Tigers thread, Wasps were lucky that Cockers rested key players and substituted half the team by 60 minutes, otherwise it could have been embarassing.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:03 am

Knackeredknees wrote:Yappy after this weekend, who would you prefer to face out of sarries or tigers?

This weekend should not be used as a barometer for Sarries or Tigers - both Warriors and Wasps were poor.

Quins have something of a hex on Leicester, but at the moment, I doubt think Tigers would worry too much about them especially at Welford Rd.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:11 am

Jimpy wrote:
Knackeredknees wrote:Yappy after this weekend, who would you prefer to face out of sarries or tigers?

This weekend should not be used as a barometer for Sarries or Tigers - both Warriors and Wasps were poor.

Quins have something of a hex on Leicester, but at the moment, I doubt think Tigers would worry too much about them especially at Welford Rd.

Wasn't basing on this weekend alone, the last few games both teams have been raising the bar each game, while quins have struggled.

Then again Northampton have been quietly sneaking up on everyone and are in good form

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:15 am

Quins hopes at Welford Rd would hinge on who is reffing. Wayne Barnes does not interpret the laws in a way that helps Leicester (usually quite the opposite) where as his lottery calls at the scrum and ruck are perfect for Quins where they can get a big shove on early up front and turn to their many sevens in the loose.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:21 am

Knackeredknees wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Wasn't basing on this weekend alone, the last few games both teams have been raising the bar each game, while quins have struggled.

Then again Northampton have been quietly sneaking up on everyone and are in good form

Northampton will probably be the 4th place team, but would be tonked by either Sarries or Tigers away from home (and by Tigers at The Gardens Whistle )

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:29 am

Wayne Barnes does seem to ref the Leicester vs Quins games quite frequently so I think you'll be stuck with him again Sam if Quins do face Leicester.

Knackeredknees I don't think Saints were in particularly good form when beaten quite convincingly by Leicester in their own backyard but we can agree to disagree!

I think whoever plays Saracens or Tigers at Allianz Park/ Welford Road will struggle. We can discuss whether one is marginally tougher than the other but both are daunting prospects.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:42 am

Tigers only hope for silverware this season (and possibly for Cockers to keep his job) is to win the league title. They'll be going all out for it this year - and as can be seen, are peaking nicely.

Whoever they get in the play-offs ought to be worried, because you just get the feeling as a Leicester supporter that its their turn this year.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 15 Apr 2013, 9:46 am

Jimpy you think Cockerill will be sacked if Tigers don't win the AP? That's really harsh!

Personally as it stands I obviously think it will be a Sarries-Tigers final. Those matches are always a tough tussle.

Injuries could have an impact though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:08 am

beshocked wrote:Jimpy you think Cockerill will be sacked if Tigers don't win the AP? That's really harsh!

Personally as it stands I obviously think it will be a Sarries-Tigers final. Those matches are always a tough tussle.

There are rumblings at Welford Rd, believe me.

Sarries are also fighting on two fronts, and I expect them to reach the HC final - that could have a fatigue penalty on them as well.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:14 am

Jimpy wrote:
beshocked wrote:Jimpy you think Cockerill will be sacked if Tigers don't win the AP? That's really harsh!

There are rumblings at Welford Rd, believe me.

Sarries are also fighting on two fronts, and I expect them to reach the HC final - that could have a fatigue penalty on them as well.

i have't heard any rumblings at all.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:16 am

yappysnap wrote:Honestly I know it wasn't AB standard but compared to Quins who you'll probably play in the knock outs you were light years ahead!

Live, Youngs passing looked mighty fine - but was hindered by Flood at times standing nearly 30 yards away yet flat so forcing Ben to have to really fire them out. I really thought he was back to his best - though Flood is still not quite clicking.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 15 Apr 2013, 10:18 am

There have been rumblings for quite some time, rather loud during that losing spell last season.

Quins/Saints match in round 22 will in all probability be a play-off for 3rd/4th.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:10 am

Cockers has a contract, Matt O'Connor's is up for renewal. The rumblings I've heard are all within that context. Cockers position as DOR is secure because of the HEC efforts and the home semi at the moment, if we make the final I'd say he's safe. MOC could well be replaced as I've heard rumours he's not popular with the players.

There's not many DOR's that would suit Tigers on the market. Johnno? Tempt Rowntree away from England? I can't see those happening. Mauger or Gibson might return as head coach replacing MOC though. Geordie is also a reasonable shout but he seems to want to work with the academy initially. The work he's done with Tait points towards positive returns from the academy backs in seasons to come.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:14 am

All I want us to do is make the playoffs officially and then try to find a little bit of form. At least Danny had a good game against Bath
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:43 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Cockers has a contract, Matt O'Connor's is up for renewal. The rumblings I've heard are all within that context. Cockers position as DOR is secure because of the HEC efforts and the home semi at the moment, if we make the final I'd say he's safe. MOC could well be replaced as I've heard rumours he's not popular with the players.

There's not many DOR's that would suit Tigers on the market. Johnno? Tempt Rowntree away from England? I can't see those happening. Mauger or Gibson might return as head coach replacing MOC though. Geordie is also a reasonable shout but he seems to want to work with the academy initially. The work he's done with Tait points towards positive returns from the academy backs in seasons to come.

Would be pretty happy if MOC moved on, i can honestly see Geordie taking the role in a couple of years.

As you say, DOR have to fit into the Leicester way.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2