The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CM Punk's WWE Status

+13
Good Golly I'm Olly
DP
owen10ozzy
JamesLincs
Aaronb33
Dr Gregory House MD
Samo
Dolphin Ziggler
bretmeharty
cloudsm
Crimey
psycho-gooner
Mr H
17 posters

Go down

CM Punk's WWE Status Empty CM Punk's WWE Status

Post by Mr H Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:43 am

So the latest reports doing the rounds on the dirtsheets suggest that the relationship between CM Punk and the WWE isn’t in great shape. It appears that Punk had a huge blow up with creative before Wrestlemania about his direction in the company and Punk apparently wanted to offer his notice to the company. Punk and ‘top WWE officials’ have since sat down and ironed out their differences but there were again disagreements about how Punk would be written off tv. The original plan was for Punk to come out and moan about his defeat to The Undertaker but it was decided they didn’t want him to come across as a ‘whiner’. After Punk walked out mid-promo on Raw it is now expected that he will be taking time off to rest as his legs and knees are banged up, and he isn’t expected to be back on tv until Summerslam time.

So what do we make of this? Most would agree that taking time off is the best possible thing for Punk. He can go away, rest up and come back better than ever. But the only concern is what will Punk’s spot be when he returns? Randy Orton is evidence that a main event spot isn’t necessarily guaranteed which begs the question, have we seen the peak of CM Punk’s career? Although the 434 day title reign is likely to be the highlight of his career, will Punk ever be pushed to the moon again? A Royal Rumble win? A huge Wrestlemania win? A Brock, Rock, Austin fued? Or will his return see him fall into a Randy Orton-esque spot on the roster?

For someone like Punk who lives and breathes wrestling I think he’ll find it hard to sit out until August. He doesn’t need surgery, he just needs to heal up, and i’d be surprised if he’s off screen until August. I also think he’ll be paranoid about his spot on the card and won’t want to be away for too long. However I hope I’m wrong and I hope he ISN’T around until August. The guys needs to rest, he deserves. I’m a huge Punk mark so I’m likely to be biased and although his relationship with the WWE might sometimes be volatile I can’t believe his spot on the upper end of the card would be in jeopardy.

So what do we think – Will Punk come back better than ever? Has his career peaked or will he carry on where he left off? And will he come back as a heel or face?

Mr H

Back to top Go down

CM Punk's WWE Status Empty Re: CM Punk's WWE Status

Post by psycho-gooner Thu 18 Apr 2013, 9:53 am

One thing's for sure, the pop when he returns will be immense. As a fan I'd rather he back around July at the latest. But at least its for his health

psycho-gooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:24 am

I think his spot is safe to be honest, he can pretty easily float between face and heel so if there is no space for a heel he can come back face or vice versa. On top of that he's hugely popular with the fans, outsold Cena in merchandise in the past, isn't going to get done for drugs or get a DUI, he's a good worker, and having fought through so the injuries he must be in pretty good shape as well.

A bit healing and letting his character recover he'll be better than ever when he returns and his spot his safe I think.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:50 am

The difference between Orton and Punk though is that WWE are unwilling to push Orton due to his two strikes. So I don't think the same thing will happen with Punk but think it'll be at least 18 months before he holds the too title again.

My main concern is will Punk be allowed to stay off tv until July/August. No doubt if Ryback and Cena's feud tanks will he be pulled back early to give Cena a meaningful feud. Or if someone at the top of the card gets injured will he be pulled back early.

Back to top Go down

Post by cloudsm Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:13 pm

WWE need punk. I'm a massive WWE fan, but if he ever decided to go to TNA, due to being fed up, i could see that really pushing the company

cloudsm

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:37 pm

Its a wonder wwe have any employees left if you believe all these reports.

I think Punk for his remaining wwe career will always be at the top of the card and should get a rumble win at some point along with a main event at wrestlemania.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 18 Apr 2013, 2:50 pm

August seems like a long stretch to rest. Wrestlers rarely take rest spots, and its even less common when a wrestler is hot. Sure, Punk is golden, but he knows he could get trapped in a poor cycle if he returns in the wrong way.

Luckily for him he has now got a legitimate chance to return either face or heel. The way he left opened the doors for a change of heart, but equally he didnt overcommit so could come back the same guy.

I'm guessing he'll come back on screens before August, but I really think that's a long lay off for recuperation. Crips can answer me about wrestlers taking rests, I can't see Punk sitting comfortably watching his top spot be filled.

It should do some good for The Shield, I think they are now the top heels with the crowd. Ryback is possibly in the top spot but The Shield have heel heat and smark support so should push on. Whilst some deride WWE, you can't ignore they've pushed the shield and DB n Kane into really strong spots. It's up to those in Punk's trail to show their worth now.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 18 Apr 2013, 2:56 pm

I think after carrying the company for the past year and a half he just needs a break. He's bound to be drained mentally and physically.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 18 Apr 2013, 2:59 pm

Samo wrote:I think after carrying the company for the past year and a half he just needs a break. He's bound to be drained mentally and physically.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you but it's funny how Punk does a 1 year and a half in the main event and needs a rest, Cena does 8 years on top and everyone hates him

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 18 Apr 2013, 3:01 pm

WWE love that too. The same time The Rock walks out and Cena stays they let Punk have a break that is well known to be a rest. This is them subtly reminding everyone that Cena does it for the fans

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaronb33 Thu 18 Apr 2013, 3:04 pm

The thing for me with Punk is that he can carry anyone. Look at his match with Undertaker at Mania. I'm not saying Taker can't go, he's still clearly a phenomenal talent (pun half intended), but for Punk to get a match of that quality from a man pushing 50 is nothing short of remarkable. His half hour with Cena on Raw was the best match I've seen Cena in since he did the same thing with Shawn Michaels a few years back. Cena working with an equal or lesser talent isn't world class. Working with a world class talent, he is, and that's exactly what Punk brings to the table.

I think it was Jericho who said in one of his books, if you can guide the other guy through a match and get exceptional results, you'll always have a job in WWE. It's why the likes of Regal and Kane have stuck around for so long. Again, not saying they aren't hugely talented men in every other way, but I personally think that's a massive part of why they've both been successful (Kane more than Regal, granted, but Regal was a helpless drug addict for quite a while, that probably held him back).

Whether Punk would walk out on them or not is a different matter, but I imagine Vince would do everything within his power to keep him.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 18 Apr 2013, 3:15 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:
Samo wrote:I think after carrying the company for the past year and a half he just needs a break. He's bound to be drained mentally and physically.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you but it's funny how Punk does a 1 year and a half in the main event and needs a rest, Cena does 8 years on top and everyone hates him

I think Cena has needed a break though, think of the reaction he got when he returned after a 3 month lay off at Royal Rumble. I don't think that was just the surprise of him coming back, people were genuinely pleased to see him. If he had taken more breaks in the last 8 years, I'm sure his popularity wouldn't have waned the way it has.

I think WWE and Cena know that they might take a hit at house shows without Cena though.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu 18 Apr 2013, 4:20 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:

woah woah woah, hold it there!

punk actually wrestles and performs dangerous moves. cena does the 5 knuckle shuffle.

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:25 pm

Agreed James...and I would imagine carrying Cena through 8 plus matches this year has taken a fair whack out of Punk...

Oh and also Punk does it all whilst living clean Whistle

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DP Thu 18 Apr 2013, 5:57 pm

WWE would be stupid to let Punk walk away.

I'm a slight mark for him, but he oozes class and is one of the reasons I still watch WWE.

DP

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:44 pm

Get him back on commentary!

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm

WWE won't let Punk walk, and Punk knows hes got it made if he sticks around in WWE.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dead Man Sun 21 Apr 2013, 4:28 pm

Go To Sleep notworthy

The Dead Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Sun 21 Apr 2013, 5:55 pm

might sound like a stupid question, but is punk realy straight edge in real life or did he just say that in character

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Video Man Sun 21 Apr 2013, 6:27 pm

Makaveli wrote:might sound like a stupid question, but is punk realy straight edge in real life or did he just say that in character

he is really straight edge.................but bryan says he is a vegan but in real life I think he said he now eats meat as being a vegan on the road was too hard
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down