The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springbok rugby's future

+3
bluestonevedder
fa0019
Biltong
7 posters

Go down

Springbok rugby's future Empty Springbok rugby's future

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 8:59 am

Every team goes through transitional periods, unfortunately when a rugby Union such as SARU do not plan continuity for their coaching staff of their national representative team the breakdown in communication doesn’t allow for forward planning.

This has been the case for South African rugby in the professional era. Whether you go back to the manner in which Nick Mallet, Jake White or even the latest casualty Pieter de Viliers have left their coaching positions, one fact stands clear amongst all other.

No forward planning or continuity, and this is not only applicable to the coaching staff, their knowledge of players and the intricacies of their game plans, but also the forward planning and continuity of player stock.

After the 2011 Rugby world Cup, south Africa lost a plethora of players to either retirement or unavailability due to transfers to Europe or Japan.

Players such as CJ v d Linde, John Smit, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, Danie Rossouw, Johan Muller, Ruan Pienaar, Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie and Gurthro Steemkamp are all gone.

Injuries have also taken its toll on players such as Schalk Burger and Juan Smit, both talisman if there ever were for the Springboks.

An even bigger concern would be the dismissive manner on which some players are discarded by the incoming coaches, such as Heinrich Brussow, who was instrumental for the Springboks in the 2011 Rugby world Cup campaing, and his injury injury in the 2001 Rugby world cup quarter final, turned the tide towards David Pocock who could unopposed rule (sometimes illegally) the roost at breakdown time.

It is perhaps this closed off mindset where coaches come with pre conceived ideas as to what they expect from their squad members that would or at least could be addressed by communication channels being open between the incumbent coach and the exiting coach. Lessons learnt are vital in progression and continuity.

Hypothetically if I was in charge of SARU, my plan would be simplistic in nature, but effective in execution.

Where most coaches believe it is possible to build a world cup squad in a matter of a few years, it has been proven by Sir Clive Woodward and Sir Graham Henry that lessons are learnt and correct over a period that encompasses two world cup tournaments.

There is of course also the consideration that perhaps putting all your eggs in one basket and putting all your focus on a world cup at the end of your four year tenure is foolish in its conception. When a coach concentrates his efforts to one peak moment in time, he allows factors outside his control to effect the nature of his success, injuries, form etc are all factors that a coach cannot control, and therefor going into a world cup without the players relied upon to win the tournament is a stark reality.

I there for would believe it important to appoint a coach (with performance clauses) for a period encompassing 8 years. But important that the focus would shift to winning the Rugby world Cup at the end of that 8 year period. But, and this is the important focus, build a squad with three factors in mind. Win all the time, in other words, using the “planned” world cup as an excuse to not play your best 22 on any given day is a taboo.
Build a squad that will have a balance of experience and youth, this will assist the incoming coach with player stock that will allow for continuity.

Expose younger players on a continual basis, it must almost be a standing order that in every test match a debutant must be on the bench, and given exposure.

Coming back to the hypothetical scenario for our present scenario, below is the list of young players, none older than 25, that must be closely monitored and if worthy given an opportunity to represent South Africa.

Props
Coenie Oosthuizen (age 24) 1.83m, 127 kg
Stephen Kitsshoff (age 21) 1.83m, 120kg
Trevor Nyakane (age 23) 1.78m, 110kg
Frans Malherbe (age 22) 1.90m, 124kg

Hookers
Kyle Cooper (age 24)1.78m, 109 kg

Locks
Eben Etzebeth (age 21) 2.03, 123kg
Pieter Stef du Toit (age 20) 2m, 115kg
Anton Bresler (age 25) 1.98m, 112 kg
Paul Willemse (age 20) 1.99m, 135kg

Backrowers
Siya Kolisi (age 21) 1.86, 101kg
Marcel Coetzee (age 21) 1.91m, 106kg
Lappies Labuschagne (age 24) 1.89m, 105 kg
Arno Botha (age 21) 1.90m, 102kg
Phillip v d Walt (age 23) 1.94, 105kg

Scrumhalves
Cobus Reinach (age 23) 1.75m, 83kg
Piet v Zyl (age 23) 1.74m, 81 kg

Flyhalves
Elton Jantjies (22)176m , 84 kg
Johan Goosen (age 20) 1.85 m, 85kg
Patrick Lambie (age 22) 1.77m, 83 kg

Midfielders
Tim Whitehead (age 24) 1.88m, 90 kg
Jan Serfontein (age 20) 1.87m, 97kg
Damian de Allende (age 21) 1.89meters, 96kg
Johann Sadie (age 24) 1.86m, 95kg
Robert eberhsohn (age 24) 1.8m, 88kg
Paul Jordaan (age 21) 1.8m, 88 kg

Wingers
Lionel Mapoe (age 24) 1.82m, 87 kg
Raymond Rhule (age 20) 1.78 m, 80 kg
Francois Hougaard (age 25) 1.79m, 90kg
JJ Engelbrecht (age 24) 1,90m, 94kg
Willie le Roux (age 23) 1.86m, 90 kg

Fullbacks
Jaco Taute (age 22) 1.87 m, 95kg
Frans Steyn (age 25) 1.91m, 110 kg
Jurgen Visser (age 23) 1,91m, 93 kg

As you can see from this list, there is no shortage of talent in South Africa, however if these players do not get the opportunity and exposure to international rugby it will be a huge loss for SA.

Below is a list of current springboks who can still be around for a number of ears and will provide the backbone for experience.

Beast Mtwarira (age 27)
Bismarck du Plessis (28)
Adriaan Strauss (27)
Jannie du Plessis (30)
Willem Alberts (28)
Duane Vermeulen (26)
Juan de Jongh (25)
Pierre Spies (27)

You will notice there are a number of regular starters that has not made the list, the reasoning behind this is simple. SARY must stand against players who decide to leave our shores for the almighty Dollar. Heyneke Meyer’s attitude of selecting players who play overseas has now had a knock on effect whereby players now see it as the green light to make money overseas whilst still being able to represent the springboks. It hurts me to say this, but players who have been heroes of mine for some years, should simply not be eligible.

Francois Louw – Europe
Andries Bekker – Japan
Bryan Habana – Japan
JP Pietersen – Japan
Ruan Pienaar – Europe
Juandre Kruger – France
Jaque Fourie – Japan
Fourie du Preez – Japan
Zane Kirchner – Europe
Ryan Kankowski – Japan

As good as these guys are, they have made their choices and should therefor not play for the springboks.

When you look at the lists above, there are oodles of talent in SA, now we just need to get the management right.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Springbok rugby's future Empty Re: Springbok rugby's future

Post by fa0019 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 9:56 am

A couple of interesting youngsters such as Hendre Pollard and Timo Swiel also could potentially be in the mix come 2015.

Without trying to change your article one thing I think which is improving is the standard of the ACI players. No longer are players coming into SR or test rugby where they are noticeably sub-standard. Means that the intensity of the boks can maintain itself are near maximum impact.

SA had a lot of veterans leave/wind down their careers just like England did in 03-05 but the difference is, SA have been able to replace talent with talent without too much loss in quality.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:08 am

Geez Biltong, there are some HUGE young players in the SA youth ranks. Paul Willemse at 135kg?!

Have to say I've seen limited Super 15, but Kyle Cooper looks a real handful. Arno Botha looked fantastic at the JRWC, and I expect him to make his mark soon.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:09 am

Fa, I agree the talent is there, but it needs exposure, and the way Heyeneke Meyer is going, he seems very reluctant to chance his arm with youngsters.

Lets take Jean de Villiers as a prime example, he as selected im again as his captain this year, that means by 2014, there are still no exposure for inside centers, is he taking Jean to the 2015 World Cup? At age 34?

Makes no sense.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:09 am

not if he moves from SA he won't.... Botha is already being shopped by certain countries as a "project player". Vultures the lot of them.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:12 am

The Bulls media room has announced Arno Botha has decided to stay.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:13 am

bluestonevedder wrote:Geez Biltong, there are some HUGE young players in the SA youth ranks. Paul Willemse at 135kg?!

Have to say I've seen limited Super 15, but Kyle Cooper looks a real handful. Arno Botha looked fantastic at the JRWC, and I expect him to make his mark soon.

The encouraging for me mate, is the fact that these guys are more mobile, quicker and has more skills than the prebvious generation.

But it will be to no avail if they aren't playing international rugby in the next two years.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:15 am

Biltong,I would not worry unduly.Your young talent will get International recognition......for England if the current trend continues!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:16 am

Biltong wrote:The Bulls media room has announced Arno Botha has decided to stay.

Glad about that... although I reckon Meyer did them a favour by inc. him in his springbok camp. Had he not includced him I reckon the draw could have been much uncertain.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:16 am

Laugh

Now doesn't that make me feel better.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:18 am

FA, do you honestly think Heyneke Meyer is the right man for the job?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:20 am

for RWC15 probably not but then again who is?

Rassie is the obvious choice but apparently he didn't want the job.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:23 am

I personally think Meyer should have been the coach after JW, his methodology is similar to JW and would have provided continuity of thought.

Nick Mallet for me would be the better option now. His vision and methodology would be suited to these youngsters
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

Mallett and SARU aren't exactly best mates though.

A bit too strong minded for SARU which is a shame.... I certainly think England missed a great opportunity to take Mallett on.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:26 am

agree.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:50 am

Biltong wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:Geez Biltong, there are some HUGE young players in the SA youth ranks. Paul Willemse at 135kg?!

The encouraging for me mate, is the fact that these guys are more mobile, quicker and has more skills than the prebvious generation.

But it will be to no avail if they aren't playing international rugby in the next two years.

Perfect for the modern game. There aren't many nations that compete better in the tight than SA, so dread to think what they'll be like when they are unleashed. Like you say, the imperative thing is that they get exposure to international rugby sooner rather than later. Hopefully Meyer recognises some of the young talent, and gets them into the fringes of the squad. Players like Arno Botha have so much to offer, but backrow seems like such a competitive area for the Springboks at the moment.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 23 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

When does Frans Louw's contract end with Bath? If Meyer is serious about using him then he should get him back to the stormers, Coetzee will duly approve no doubt.... we'd be happy to have him back and the incentive of being first choice openside with the boks will be enough to bring him home I think.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:14 am

Speaking of the Bok's future, important decision made by SARU (made a while ago): The under 20's are now SA's official 2nd team meaning that once a player is capped for the Bok under 20's they cannot represent another country (About time).

Therefore, all these players are now forever limited to SA:

'Jan Serfontein, the player of last year’s under 20 World Championship, will head the baby Boks defence in France.
Serfontein and Kings wing Sergeal Petersen are two Super Rugby regulars to make Dawie Theron’s squad and brilliant flyhalf Handre Pollard is another to play in a second successive tournament.

Theron’s squad lost a three-match series 2-1 to Argentina in Argentina.

Serfontein, Petersen and Western Province’s Cheslin Kolbe did not play in those matches.

Bulls loose forward Ruan Steenkamp is captain.

Serfontein and Pollard are the only two squad members from last year’s winning unit.

The Baby Boks play France, England and the USA in Pool A.

Baby Boks squad:

Props: Andrew Beerwinkel (Blue Bulls), Marne Coetzee (KZN), Luan de Bruin (Free State), Devon Martinus (Golden Lions), Sithembiso Sithole (WP)
Hookers: Ockert du Toit (Free State), Michael Willemse (WP). Locks: Jacques du Plessis (Blue Bulls), Irne Herbst (Blue Bulls), Jannes Kirsten (Blue Bulls), Dennis Visser (Blue Bulls)
Loose forwards: Ruan Steenkamp (Blue Bulls, c), Aidon Davis (EP Kings), Kwagga Smith (Golden Lions), Roelof Smit (Blue Bulls)
Scrumhalves: Stefan Ungerer (KZN), Hanco Venter (KZN), Percy Williams (Golden Lions).
Flyhalves: Handré Pollard (Blue Bulls), Robert du Preez (KZN).
Centres: Jan Serfontein (Blue Bulls), Dries Swanepoel (Blue Bulls), Justin Geduld (Springbok Sevens).
Wings: Luther Obi (Leopards), Sergeal Petersen (EP Kings), Seabelo Senatla (Springbok Sevens).
Fullbacks: Cheslin Kolbe (WP), Sylvian Mahuza (Leopards).'

Good move by SA and about time. Would've kept Rathbone, Barrit etc from representing other countries and stopped CJ Stander from considering qualifying for Ireland.

It is a pity Timo Swiel pulled out of the squad having realised that it would rule him out of playing possibly for England where his chances of international rugby are higher.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:22 am

Those at the IRFU must be shaking their fists at those pesky boks... "how dare they retain the rights to their own players".

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:28 am

Laugh

Perhaps a couple of English administrators too?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:36 am

They'll probably just start scouting u/19 teams and catch them before....

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:37 am

Timo is a great talent, shame politics get in the way of a good career ahead of him if he keeps on the straight and narrow.

Without trying to get too political its very difficult for a white player who is a three-quarter to get reconigition in SA. Its an area of great strength for coloured players and coaches know if they have 2 players of equal measure then they should go with the ACI player.... this will occur more on at the three-quarters then any other position.

Stefan Terblanche should have doubled his cap count.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:42 am

Its what AUS are now doing.. the Jake White scholarship is taking guys straight out of Matric into a programme at the university of Canberra.

Not sure if any 1st class player would be mad enough to turn down Maties for the Uni. of Canberra though... acknowledged as one of the worst uni's in AUS.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:49 am

Stefan Terblanche should have doubled his cap count

Yes Stefan was hard done by, politics interfered in his career big time.

Jake White scholarship

I would rather not comment on that. Jake the Snake?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:54 am

I think the u/20 team has to be 1/3 (33%) players of colour, however I imagine that at this stage that does not weaken the team. No free / undeserving junior caps given out anymore thankfully

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:59 am

There are so many talented players of all colour in SA these days, why do they still harp on about transformation at the higher levels?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:01 pm

9 of the 15 starters in the 2005 u21 winning side were ACI... the only 2 players out of that team to get full bok honours however were Morne & Ruan.

The talent is there.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:12 pm

By the way , what does ACI stand for. Alternative colour indicator?

Why can't we just call them black, white or coloured?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:27 pm

african, coloured, indian.

Although I can't recall any indian rugby players... a couple of muslim chaps are also starting to make the grade i.e. Nizaam Carr (although I don't think he has what it takes to make the boks one day).

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:29 pm

just got used it I guess.... my Muslim and Indian friends would no longer refer to themselves as coloured anymore from my own experience.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

For interests sake, could either of you please name the 9 out of 15 ACI starters from the 2005 side?

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:37 pm

Nope not me, my memory is like cheese.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:58 pm

MMaaxx

I remembered the info from Pdivvy's autobiography which I read a while back. Fortunately I have my ipad with me at the moment and managed to find 6 of the names (eversion of the book) in a quick scan of the specific chapter.

Paul Delport
Earl Rose
Chilliboy Ralepelle
Sangani Mxoli
Thabang Molefe
Mzwandile Stick

Will look for the team online but its proving difficult with an initial search.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:07 pm

http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/Sport/U21-Rugby-World-Champions-20110916

Here is a picture set of the team I found. Picture 5 is the main team shot.

I think you can add Cedric McKize and Davon Raubenheimer to the above list. Thats would be most of them.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:30 pm

Thanks

I think Thabang was named player of the tournament

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:37 pm

fa0019 wrote:Those at the IRFU must be shaking their fists at those pesky boks... "how dare they retain the rights to their own players".

The selfish barstewards! steam
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:31 pm

How many boks played for Ireland? How many for England?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 3:35 pm

True but they never picked the apple off the tree one might say (CJ Stander)

Given 40% of the white population in SA are of predominately English ancestry it would seem logical that they would have more representatives then Ireland.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:22 pm

fa0019 wrote:True but they never picked the apple off the tree one might say (CJ Stander)

Given 40% of the white population in SA are of predominately English ancestry it would seem logical that they would have more representatives then Ireland.

It's also a mighty fine excuse for bringing up the IRFU joke whilst sliding quickly past a similar RFU one , fa0019 Wink

Plus... that 40% of the white total I think equates to the percentage with British and Irish ancestry. English ancestry is of course there with the overall British bit (and yep, I'd assume it's the largest) but it's not alone and it isn't the whole 40 I'd guess.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:40 pm

The IRFU was the butt of my joke sure... but you have to admit that their courtship of Stander whilst legal was morally aghast. They were not the first, the ARU did so with Vickerman, Rathbone and now Ebersohn.

Other than that, players including guys like Strauss are fair game to me.

In terms of ancestry you're right, its British ancestry, with English being the dominant contributor for certain. Quite a bit of Scots in fact amongst Boere apparently.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:48 pm

Biltong already knows my personal views on that one fa0019. I'd like a more difficult route for all 'outside' players coming in with hopes of declaring for another country.

I really like the idea of an Irish side being mostly Irish and an English side being mostly English. Call it old fashioned but I like the limitations on eligibility that goes/should go with International teams and I think that controlled eligibility is what adds that extra specialness to the real juicy battles that go on at International level

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 4:55 pm

I agree fly. guinness

I think its about time we go out and enjoy the sun.... well whatever you in Ireland call the sun... its that thing that comes out each year around July for a day or two.

Wink

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:11 pm

Yeah, I have my summer holidays planned for that day in July. Hope I've picked the right one! See you around, fa0019 Smile

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:50 pm

Hope it doesn't rain that day Fly, it might ruin your holiday. Laugh
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down