The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ESPN Films 30 at 30 - The 16th man

3 posters

Go down

ESPN Films 30 at 30 - The 16th man Empty ESPN Films 30 at 30 - The 16th man

Post by dummy_half Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:11 am

For anyone that hasn't seen this film (one of ESPN's series of 30 documentaries commissioned for their 30th anniversary*), It's thoroughly recommended.

It's the story of the South African 95 rugby world cup win, set in the context of the release (and important role) of Mandela and his support for Springbok rugby at the time. Basically a documentary version of Invictus without the ham-fisted attempts at rugby.

For me, the biggest insights come from the interviews with the players, who seemed to be the first people to realise the significance of what was going on - almost all come across as interesting, thoughtful and intelligent guys (and this includes Kobus Wiese Very Happy - actually, bar Pienaar, he comes across as the guy most influenced by what was going on in his country around the competition).

* It's actually a very good series of films, although obviously many focus on US sport - probably the very best is 'Once Brothers', focussed on two NBA basketball stars who were team mates and great friends for Yugoslavia but whose relationship was permanently ruined by the civil war (one was Serb, the other Croat).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

ESPN Films 30 at 30 - The 16th man Empty Re: ESPN Films 30 at 30 - The 16th man

Post by Mickado Wed 24 Apr 2013, 5:29 pm

30 for 30 is absolutely OUTSTANDING!

And yes 16th man is wonderful, ditto Once brothers.

I really enjoyed "you don't know Bo" and "the two Escobars". Would love them to do another rugby one for purely selfish reasons but its very unlikely.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:23 pm

Ah I read the title and thought it was a documentary about the Ospreys v Leicester 16th man (Burngate).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 25 Apr 2013, 7:20 am

I watched the latest one "from Elway to Marino" last night.
Even though I know bog all about gridiron, it was deadly!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down