The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hines vs oconnell

+12
Kingshu
MDB
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Standulstermen
George Carlin
BlueMuff
Golden
VinceWLB
TJ1
theslosty
R!skysports
16 posters

Go down

Hines vs oconnell  Empty Hines vs oconnell

Post by R!skysports Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:29 pm

An interesting match up yesterday as two potential second rows came together. Hines and o Connell

How do u think they came off in the head to head?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Hines vs oconnell  Empty Re: Hines vs oconnell

Post by theslosty Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:33 pm

Hines came off better yesterday, but POC still completely transforms that Munster team, his ability to galvanise others whilst not playing his own absolute best is what has given him his massive reputation.

Could both of them go to Australia?
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:39 pm

POC is the man for me.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:40 pm

POC was below par yesterday, the boot incident clearly influenced his performance.

Hines is and always will be a cheat as Ulster fans probably remember from last year away game to Clermont.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:43 pm

VinceWLB wrote:POC was below par yesterday, the boot incident clearly influenced his performance.

Hines is and always will be a cheat as Ulster fans probably remember from last year away game to Clermont.

And hes exactly the type of player every team needs. Would love to see both tour.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:52 pm

Poc was playing with a groin injury that prevented him from training all week! Still a massive influence and had some big carries in the second half

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:23 pm

Hines definitely came out of that game better if you're talking about a head-to-head but it's clear that both men are exceptionally important to their teams and O'Connell is a class act and a natural leader of men. He convinces me in a way that Warbuton doesn't yet.

Whilst Gatland was watching from the stands, I suspect he was only there to see the Munster mash and not Byrne, Hines et al, which is a real shame as a lock pairing of Hines and O'Connell would be monstrous - as would one of them twinned with the likes of Ian Evans.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:26 pm

Another combination I would love to see, but appears unlikely, is Gray and POC. That would be an unbelievable lineout.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:14 am

VinceWLB wrote:POC was below par yesterday, the boot incident clearly influenced his performance.

Chris Henry has done likewise numerous times. Hines is a top, top player.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:05 am

Hines and Gray was the lockpairing i chose at Christmas for lions

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:21 am

You can't possibly still be bitter about that, Vince, it was hilarious, not to mention his tweet replies to the muppets that got rude

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:34 am

I'm not going to be disingenous about that bit of Hines skullduggery - it would have annoyed the hell out of me if I was an Ulster fan (which I am, really). I think that the difference between that and, say, Lee Byrne's disgraceful diving in the 6 Nations is that Hines entirely expected to be dinged for it and would have walked off for his 10 minutes in good grace.

Cynical, but entirely open about it, in other words. He can be a bit of a bad boy, but he's no Danny Grewcock and as Vince notes, sometimes that kind of gamesmanship can win you matches as well as lose them.

Richie McCaw has done a lot worse, I'm sure. Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:40 am

remind me what Hines did?

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:45 am

Can do better than that, TJ: http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/01/2314/nathan-hines-hangs-onto-two-ulster-players
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 7:48 am

That was just a bit obvious wasn't it - should have been pen, yellow and no try.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by MDB Mon 29 Apr 2013, 12:50 pm

If Hines was to be available he would be my first choice lock in the sqaud. He is just a super player. Big and aggresive but with great hands and mobility for a man of his size. Would love to see him tour again.

MDB

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:01 pm

I agree with most Hines better that game, but POC was better in qfinal.

While Hines won the head to head, what each brought to thier team POC wins.

Hines is a player I feel could pick up a yellow easily, I think he can be wound up, but likewise does a lot of winding up himself.

If having to chose one, it would be POC, has a higher level then Hines and more importantly brings the level of his team up.

Put it like this if POC was playing for Clermot yesterday and Hines for Munster, I don't think Munster would have come so close.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

Can we just be clear that POC was carrying a groin injury and probably wouldnt have been playing if it was any other match.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:27 pm

BlueMuff wrote:Can we just be clear that POC was carrying a groin injury and probably wouldnt have been playing if it was any other match.

If he's injured and unable to perform properly (having had so much time off this season) then we ought to be very cautious before selecting him on Tuesday. His injury record hasn't been good this season, and for every solid performance (such as the performance against Quins), there have been some less than impressive ones as well (Glasgow and Clermont).

A groin injury is probably something POC wants to play down. Worse news for his Lions chances than an average performance at this stage.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 1:31 pm

Hines was the first Scot(???!!!) ever to get a red card. he will always be a penalty liability. I have to say that clip is hilarious

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 29 Apr 2013, 8:16 pm

TJ wrote:Hines was the first Scot(???!!!) ever to get a red card. he will always be a penalty liability. I have to say that clip is hilarious

Was he, TJ, even beat Scott Murray for his lashing out at the Welsh lock that was holding his leg? Well remembered

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 29 Apr 2013, 8:30 pm

I saw POC at Scotstoun as Glasgow put 51 on Munster. I thought Big Al was the best 2nd row on the pitch that night. Ditto AWJ when we trounced the Horsepoohs.There's more chance of Gatland picking MrsPip than Kellock so why on current form should POC go? Hines seems to be in the form of his life so he must be in with a shout. The man from WaggaWagga putting one over on the Wallabies.Why not?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:09 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
TJ wrote:Hines was the first Scot(???!!!) ever to get a red card. he will always be a penalty liability. I have to say that clip is hilarious

Was he, TJ, even beat Scott Murray for his lashing out at the Welsh lock that was holding his leg? Well remembered

On a tour in USA many a year ago - his first series as a scot IIRC 2002

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:15 am

jimbopip wrote:I saw POC at Scotstoun as Glasgow put 51 on Munster. I thought Big Al was the best 2nd row on the pitch that night. Ditto AWJ when we trounced the Horsepoohs.There's more chance of Gatland picking MrsPip than Kellock so why on current form should POC go? Hines seems to be in the form of his life so he must be in with a shout. The man from WaggaWagga putting one over on the Wallabies.Why not?

POC played about 4 games in 18 months before that game (of the 3 intercepts). And if you're talking about currnt form he has gotten 2 MOTM awards in 5 games since his return and made as big an impact as anyon could.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 30 Apr 2013, 2:32 am

Golden wrote:

And hes exactly the type of player every team needs. Would love to see both tour.

Truth is, and Munster fans wont like this, Hines is a far superior and more effective lock than Paulie, at the high-end. Always was and always will be.
He held 3 Ulster players down - in one movement, when ASM shafted Ulster. Paulie could not even begin to dream of doing that. Not smert enough or bad enough.

Great mullacker and an honest man, but nowhere even near Hines basterd level.

This is what really separates the real men from the boys at the very top.

Like Heaslip, not a proper captain. Just another decent, honest player, waiting to be led by his betters.

Truth hurts sometimes. But sometimes, just sometimes, it buys you freedom.

BOD will captain the Lions, but only if the people in the know, know what they are actually doing.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 30 Apr 2013, 7:11 am

Now where is that hand grenade emoticon when needed?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum