The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lions Team 2013

+10
bedfordwelsh
theslosty
majesticimperialman
Sin é
mbernz
The Gramlin
tomhughesnice
LondonTiger
Scrumpy
alive555
14 posters

Go down

The Lions Team 2013 Empty The Lions Team 2013

Post by alive555 Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:36 am

Lions squad for the tour to Australia:

Backs: Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Rob Kearney (Ireland), Tommy Bowe (Ireland), Alex Cuthbert (Wales), Sean Maitland (Scotland), George North (Wales), Jonathan Davies (Wales), Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Manu Tuilagi (England), Owen Farrell (England), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Conor Murray (Ireland), Mike Phillips (Wales), Ben Youngs (England).

Forwards: Dan Cole (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Gethin Jenkins (Wales), Adam Jones (Wales), Matt Stevens (England), Mako Vunipola (England), Dylan Hartley (England), Richard Hibbard (Wales), Tom Youngs (England), Ian Evans (Wales), Richie Gray (Scotland), Alun-Wyn Jones (Wales), Paul O'Connell (Ireland), Geoff Parling (England), Tom Croft (England), Toby Faletau (Wales), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland), Dan Lydiate (Wales), Sean O'Brien (Ireland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Sam Warburton (Wales, captain)

so its

wales 15
england 10
ireland 9
scotland 3

alive555

Back to top Go down

The Lions Team 2013 Empty Re: The Lions Team 2013

Post by Scrumpy Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:48 am

Hmm?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:58 am

alive555 wrote:
so its

wales 15
england 10
ireland 9
scotland 3

I prefer to look at it as:

Leicester 6
Leinster 6
Ospreys 5
Blues 4
Saracens 3
Dragons 2
Glasgow 2
Munster 2
Scarlets 2
Bayonne 1
Ulster 1
Toulon 1
Northampton 1
Sale 1

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:25 pm

Its not a very interesting squad is it? Usually the lions have few wildcards and uncapped players, this is a pretty reserved selection.

As an English fan Im quite surprised by a few of our players that made the squad. Matt Stevens, Dylan Hartley(Rory Best probably a better option), and Tom Croft(Injured for ages, and didnt exactly shine in Englands last outing)

I see this as a very conservative squad selection, I hope the game plan is not as such.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by The Gramlin Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:01 pm

tomhughesnice wrote:Its not a very interesting squad is it? Usually the lions have few wildcards and uncapped players, this is a pretty reserved selection.

As an English fan Im quite surprised by a few of our players that made the squad. Matt Stevens, Dylan Hartley(Rory Best probably a better option), and Tom Croft(Injured for ages, and didnt exactly shine in Englands last outing)

I see this as a very conservative squad selection, I hope the game plan is not as such.

I think they have selected 'what they know', rather than go for a new player on form, ie, Ryan Grant - who may have had a similar impact to Tom Smith in '97. Whether this is right or wrong we will see.

The Gramlin

Back to top Go down

Post by mbernz Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:07 pm

I really hope the players enjoy the experience and do themselves justice, I'll be supporting them all the way, but my expectations aren't particularly high at this point.

The collective performances of the B&I sides in the 6N was a sizeable knock, that reputation and/or familiarity seem to have ridden over form in a number of selections and how the makeup of the squad suggests the side will play has compounded things.

I hope the Lions prove me wrong, but I fear the majority of the enjoyment from the tour will be in how the Aussies play rather than us. It's probably the least excited I've been about the Lions in decades.

mbernz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:15 pm

tomhughesnice wrote:Its not a very interesting squad is it? Usually the lions have few wildcards and uncapped players, this is a pretty reserved selection.

I feel for Rory Best as it must be gut wrenching for Hartley to be preferred for him.

Looks to me like Gatland selections are more to do with his ego than anything else - set up for him to be the centre of attention and no one else. Sam Warburton is a quiet kid who will do Gatland's bidding. I suspect Edwards was left at home as well because he has such a strong personality.

I'm sure the selection of Maitland, Hartley & Stevens has a lot to do that they are not natives of either Britain or Ireland so makes Gatland feel a bit more comfortable as he isn't native either. It helps as well that 2 of them grew up in NZ. I actually think its a bit of a joke.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:04 pm

SAM WARBURTON. CAPTAIN OF THE LIONS. Doh I really think Gatland as made a bad move here. picard

Mat Stevens? what a surprise that is.

Dylan Hartley? Another surprise. for me any how.

Tom croft? would of thought that Tom Wood would of been a better choice.

Tommy Bowe? Why? Been injured for a long time did not play in the 6ns.

POC? Another long term injured did not play in the 6ns.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:35 pm

vomit

I should have prepared myself for this.

Stevens? Matt Stevens? The bloke hasn't played test rugby since 2008, never mind what happened since. This I could cope with however as the third tighthead choice was hardly brimming with talent.

I don't need to explain my thoughts on the omission of Best.

Was surprised Richie Gray was given a place, hopefully he can find his form quickly.

Kelly Brown is incredibly hard done by, has been great for Scotland and Sarries. It is almost as ridiculous as Hartley et al. over Best, although I had a feeling that Brown would be overlooked.

I personally would have picked Robshaw however I am not that surprised he wasn't selected.

Murray is underrated IMO but he can count himself slightly lucky after Saturday's performance.

I was praying Gats would take a punt on Madigan, wasn't to be. Farrell unfortunately is on the plane for one reason only. Taking just 2 players who can play 10 is just bonkers...

Backs I largely agree with, although I was hoping there'd be a spot for Zebo, instead of one of Maitland or Kearney. People forget that he is excellent under the high ball and has a good boot, in fact on reecent form I'd have more confidence with Zebo at 15 than Kearney, not to mention the Australian hard grounds.

3 full backs but just 4 wings is a bit baffling.

theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:04 pm

15 Welsh players. Will we see all 15 in the first test match?

But then again i said ever since Gats got the nod for head coach that it would be Welsh biased based. Looks like i was proven right for once.

I simply dont understand why the likes of Tom Croft, Matt Stevens,
Dan Lydate. Have even been considered, let alone get on the plane.

I just feel that alott of better players have been left out for no other reason than they are not "WELSH."

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:29 pm

maj,

I very much doubt we will see 15 welsh in starting line up:

Healy should start over Jenkins
Cole as much chance as Jones if not more
Only one of AWJ and Evans will partner POC
There are 4 back rowers so they cant all start

One other thing on form and hes not far off it there no better 6 about than Lydiate

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:maj,

One other thing on form and hes not far off it there no better 6 about than Lydiate

Mostly because as there is no Welsh 10 there can only be max 14 in the 15
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:49 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:maj,

Mostly because as there is no Welsh 10 there can only be max 14 in the 15

CJ,

The Ginger Monster is part of coaching team Very Happy
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:50 pm

Ah so that's who our 3rd FH is going to be
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Yahoo
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Jesus the Dragons beat a team at last! laughing
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:09 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:15 Welsh players. Will we see all 15 in the first test match?

But then again i said ever since Gats got the nod for head coach that it would be Welsh biased based. Looks like i was proven right for once.

I simply dont understand why the likes of Tom Croft, Matt Stevens,
Dan Lydate. Have even been considered, let alone get on the plane.

I just feel that alott of better players have been left out for no other reason than they are not "WELSH."

Oh rubbish, and you contradict yourself as well.

You say Welsh bias first of all, leaving out the fact that only Ireland out of all the six nations teams have beaten Wales in tyhe last 2 years and Wales have won the last 2 6 Nations, which in every sense means their the best European team.

Then you question the selection and out of the 3 players you name, 2 of them are English!
Rowntree is the Scrum coach and it's pretty obvious he has pushed for Matt Stevens.

Lydiate does suprise me but he was player of the 6 nations in 2012 and his work rate is second to none in world rugby. I'd of taken Ryan Jones myself and seen how Lydiate got on in Japan with Wales, and called him if he played well in Japan if there was an injury.

What about Farrell?
You can't tell me he's better than Biggar, or Hook. Every time this season Farrell has been put under pressure he;s wilted badly this season. Biggar was far better in Cardiff, and Wilko vastly better in Europe. You can't say Daddy the defense coach didn't have a say in that selection!

Ryan Jones and Biggar especially have been robbed, and the only Welsh player who maybe got lucky was Lydiate. The Lions Team 2013 3933776953
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Shifty

I was very surprised that owen Farrell was picked to be honest.....Not saying that Biggar should made it on to the plane instead. Actualy thought Wilko may be chosen in stead of.

I am very surprised their are no (bolters) Madigan, Wade. too name just 2.
very surprided indeed

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Shifty

I was very surprised that owen Farrell was picked to be honest.....Not saying that Biggar should made it on to the plane instead. Actualy thought Wilko may be chosen in stead of.

I am very surprised their are no (bolters) Madigan, Wade. too name just 2.
very surprided indeed

Wilkinson was considered. Do you not read the press etc? He felt his body wouldn't cope with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Gatty has spent the good part of the last year watching and plotting for this tour so i think its fair to say that there just might be a cunning plan behind the selections, he will have to maybe go back to his origins and remind himself of the New Zealand attitude to the game as he will have a number of New Zealand referees to "deal with", referees that Dingo knows very well.

Also by the way congrats to Sean Maitland for making this Lions tour. first New Zealander to make the Lions since Ricky Flutey (I think).

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Stevens last played test rugby in 2012 not 2008 as suggested above,he actually played in the last world cup.MJ brought him back into the squad after his ban and was in the .EPS until he retired last summer as he felt he wouldn't be able to commit through to the next WC as he has a young family.
Good luck to him.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down