The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro 12 New TV Deal

+32
red_stag
TJ1
wayne
HammerofThunor
nathan
Scrumdown
Intotouch
Kingshu
profitius
1F'sgonnagetya!
VinceWLB
LordDowlais
SecretFly
Solid8
Golden
Notch
funnyExiledScot
Portnoy's Complaint
international197
GLove39
LeinsterFan4life
pioden gorllewin
ScarletSpiderman
rodders
munkian
RDW
Cardiff Dave
wales606
Mickado
Dorothy_Mantooth
Welshmushroom
36 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Pro 12 New TV Deal - Page 3 Empty Pro 12 moving to Sky

Post by Welshmushroom Thu May 02, 2013 8:26 am

First topic message reminder :

So the Pro 12 is moving to Sky Sports. No surprise really.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/15180/8684039

Sky Sports will show even more live European club rugby union, thanks to a new four year deal to screen the RaboDirect PRO12, beginning in the 2014/15 season.

For the first time Sky Sports will show 30 live matches, plus the semi-finals and final from the tournament, strengthening its unrivalled rights portfolio across six channels.

The RaboDirect PRO12 features the top teams from Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy, including Europe's current number one ranked side Leinster, defending champions Ospreys and current leaders Ulster.

Sky Sports viewers will be able to enjoy weekly coverage on TV, PC and on the move via mobile and tablet devices.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "We know European rugby is hugely popular with our viewers and this deal provides for even more fantastic action. From next year, the RaboDirect PRO12 will complement our Heineken and Amlin Challenge Cup coverage and provide viewers with an unrivalled diet of rugby union.

"Sky Sports remains the home of televised rugby union, offering an unprecedented schedule from the international, European and domestic game. Our coverage is innovative and our expert analysis respected. This agreement is even more good news for rugby fans with Sky Sports."

John Feehan, Chief Executive of RaboDirect PRO12, said: "We are delighted to welcome Sky Sports to the RaboDirect PRO12 family. Our competition is growing from strength to strength and we feel this partnership with Sky Sports will allow us to extend the reach of the RaboDirect PRO12 in the UK and Ireland."

Latest

This announcement follows a series of major rugby rights deals for Sky Sports, including the exclusive live rights to The British & Irish Lions tour 2013, four-year deals to show Ireland, France and Italy Autumn Internationals from 2014 and a long term European rugby deal with the ERC.

The RaboDirect PRO12 complements the existing schedule of live European rugby union on Sky Sports featuring the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup, plus the domestic offering with the RFU Championship and LV=Cup. Added to that is a strong portfolio of international rugby with the British & Irish Lions tour 2013, QBE Internationals, England women's matches, IRB Sevens World Series, Super Rugby and The Rugby Championship.

Sky Sports viewers can continue to follow the matches whether at home or on the move with Sky Go, available on a range of mobile devices.

The Sky Sports rugby union team includes some of the biggest names in the sport with over 550 caps between them. Expert analysis comes from Will Greenwood, Dewi Morris, Paul Wallace, Ieuan Evans, Scott Quinnell, Sean Fitzpatrick, Michael Lynagh and Scott Hastings. Coverage throughout the season is presented by Alex Payne and James Gemmell, with commentary from Stuart Barnes, Miles Harrison, Mark Robson and Johnnie Hammond.

There is also a comprehensive range of support programming, which includes the Rugby Club, plus the latest rugby union news and results available every day on skysports.com and Sky Sports News HD.

What's people's thoughts on this? Could be good for attendances as I can't see everyone having access to Sky Sports to follow their teams.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Pro 12 New TV Deal - Page 3 Empty Re: Pro 12 New TV Deal

Post by HammerofThunor Tue May 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Has it been mentioned that the semi and final will probably only be available on Sky?

Do people think there's no mention of money (in actual values) because they're still negotiating with BBC, etc? I imagine it'll all come out once sorted (although I've still never seen any details on how much they got for the previous deal, does anyone have any specifics at all? Are the £4M made up or a guess?)

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Tue May 07, 2013 12:56 pm

That was it Neilthom7!

Should the H Cup go there will be plenty of weekend freed up for our American friends to join the league. But the costs of travel would be huge and where are people going to get the money to pay for it? It would also mean either setting up pro rugby sides from scratch or turning two teams pro. Which teams then and why? Look around the world to see examples of how tricky this can be, and costly, and this without huge travel costs involved.

I think myself that Romanian or Spanish sides would be more ready and likely to join the league.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 pm

You think Spanish sides would be more ready??? Just recenetly a Munster development 15 (which was made up of mostly players not even in the Munster academy) travelled over to Barcalona to play the best players from Barcalona. The Munster side won 97-7.

They are no where near ready. The team that won the Spanish league couldn't compete in the Amlin because they didn't have enough money. They don't have the players or stadiums.

Last edited by LeinsterFan4life on Tue May 07, 2013 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue May 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Zebre. Need I say more?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue May 07, 2013 2:01 pm

What about Zebre?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue May 07, 2013 2:06 pm

0/25 that's what about Zebre - The HEC qualifiers.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm

But what point are you making? Is it something in relation to spanish sides getting into the Rabo?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue May 07, 2013 2:11 pm

Zebre's last two games:

Zebre 25 - 27 Munster
Zebre 22 - 41 Leinster

There've been scores like that in Aviva?

And no 97 - 3 scorelines all season that I've seen grey Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue May 07, 2013 2:12 pm

greytiger wrote:0/25 that's what about Zebre - The HEC qualifiers.

Easy pickings?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue May 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Why would I choose to juxtapose a comment like that without inferring/explaining a context outside the current debate?

Yes. Of course it is in the context of Sanish/Romanian/US sides.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue May 07, 2013 2:20 pm

Zebre would be a lot better than the Spanish and Romanian national team let alone their club sides.

Zebre in thier fist season (lets not forget that) should have won at least 3 or 4 games but for Hanlangahu is a terrible kicker under pressure. They have a good stadium which they are expanding for next season with a new stand behind the posts.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue May 07, 2013 2:21 pm

on an article it said the addition of SKY would result in a 50% increase in TV revenue, I think this was guess work as the deals with BBC etc having been finalised, but is prob as good a guess as we can get and normally arcurate enough.

I suggested the two American teams before in other threads if H-cup goes.

From Wiki

In February 2012, SANZAR chief executive Greg Peters told media that the organisation was considering adding franchises in Argentina, Japan and the United States in 2016, the first year of SANZAR's next television contract. This will also be the year in which rugby sevens enters the Olympics, which is already contributing to increased interest in the sport in many countries, including Japan and the US.[15]

Australian sports broadcasting analyst Colin Smith noted that the addition of Japanese and American teams could result in a TV deal worth more than A$1 billion beyond 2020. Specifically, he stated, "You could have a deal comparable to the other major sports in Australia. Rugby is a college (university) sport in the US, if soccer can create its own league there and sell teams for $40 million, imagine what you could do in 10–12 years with rugby in that market."[15] By comparison, the largest TV deal in Australian sport, that of the Australian Football League (Australian rules), is worth A$1.26 billion from 2012 to 2016. Even that figure is dwarfed by the TV contracts of the NFL. That league's current contracts are worth more than US$4 billion annually

Basically meaning even a minority sport can generate alot of money in the USA.

Having thought about this myself the US do have a number of quality players, and if they could bring them back they could do quite well. Also I think that the likes of Ulster Munster and Leinster would catch the attention in cities like NY and Boston, better than super XV, English or French teams.

Logistics, with two teams, it would have to be arranged that say Ulster and Leinster travel over to play one each and the other the next weekend, then the Two US teams travel for a mini tour of Wales, etc etc throughout the season.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue May 07, 2013 2:26 pm

I suggested American teams/Canadian teams or both in the past too. So if it happens, I want my promotional fees!!! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue May 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Well you could have min tours and give bye weeks to teams after traveling if there was no H Cup but this is all off course just us at the minute lol I would imagine the large Italian and Irish communities in America could provide better chances for people watching than an Aviva or Super 14 partnership.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue May 07, 2013 5:12 pm

Kingshu wrote:on an article it said the addition of SKY would result in a 50% increase in TV revenue, I think this was guess work as the deals with BBC etc having been finalised, but is prob as good a guess as we can get and normally arcurate enough.

My question about guesses was more about the current deal. If the current deal is £4M then a 50% increase would (of course) be £6M as speculated. But where has the £4M come from? I've never seen anything actually specifying how much each union gets from PRO12 TV deals (remember each one currents keeps what they generate rather than share it around). There was something about Lewis talking about how much it was in comparison with attendances but it wasn't clear.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:You think Spanish sides would be more ready??? Just recenetly a Munster development 15 (which was made up of mostly players not even in the Munster academy) travelled over to Barcalona to play the best players from Barcalona. The Munster side won 97-7.

They are no where near ready. The team that won the Spanish league couldn't compete in the Amlin because they didn't have enough money. They don't have the players or stadiums.

Barcelona players are from one city. Playing Catalonia would be a different prospect. Or even the Spanish national side come to think of it.

Americans that I know complain about how inconsistent tv coverage is there for rugby. It's taken on and then dropped, awkward to find etc. Whoever takes on covering this competition would be taking a gamble. If it did make a lot of money it would be long term.

I'd love to see some good come out of the end of the h-cup. If rugby thriving professionally in more countries happens as a result of this I'll be delighted!

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue May 07, 2013 9:59 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Kingshu wrote:on an article it said the addition of SKY would result in a 50% increase in TV revenue, I think this was guess work as the deals with BBC etc having been finalised, but is prob as good a guess as we can get and normally arcurate enough.

My question about guesses was more about the current deal. If the current deal is £4M then a 50% increase would (of course) be £6M as speculated. But where has the £4M come from? I've never seen anything actually specifying how much each union gets from PRO12 TV deals (remember each one currents keeps what they generate rather than share it around). There was something about Lewis talking about how much it was in comparison with attendances but it wasn't clear.
Hammer, I mentioned the £4 MILL this was only an example that I plucked out of the air, this was just to illustrate, if we can get 50% extra money from one broadcaster with much less games televised, this would be my ideal scenario. Whether the Regions would get any extra out of the Dodger is another point ?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue May 07, 2013 11:53 pm

greytiger wrote:0/25 that's what about Zebre - The HEC qualifiers.

To be fair they play in the hardest league. No minnows in the Rabo compared with England and France. They are much better than likes of Mont de Marsan / London Welsh etc.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed May 08, 2013 9:07 am

Tres drôle cerf-rouge. Laugh

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 am

Wayne - I believe the deal with Sky is meant to go directly to the teams, and not into the unions (like the Beeb money) so hopefully that means they will all get their hands on the full amount, with not handing fee from the wru.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne - I believe the deal with Sky is meant to go directly to the teams, and not into the unions (like the Beeb money) so hopefully that means they will all get their hands on the full amount, with not handing fee from the wru.

If that is your understanding scarletspiderman then you could clearly do with some reading comprehension excercises!

The press releases clearly state that the sky deal is with celtic rugby limited which is an Irish private company limited by shares. The company is owned by the IRFU, SRU, WRU and IRF.

The IRF are not part of the SKY deal and therefore sky moneys will be paid to the celtic unions first and then allocated to the regions/privinces which is what happened previously. Also the WRU has never deducted a handling fee as you suggest and this would obviously be ridiculous.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 am

Roger Lewis is on 606 ? Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 pm

Scrumdown wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Wayne - I believe the deal with Sky is meant to go directly to the teams, and not into the unions (like the Beeb money) so hopefully that means they will all get their hands on the full amount, with not handing fee from the wru.

If that is your understanding scarletspiderman then you could clearly do with some reading comprehension excercises!

The press releases clearly state that the sky deal is with celtic rugby limited which is an Irish private company limited by shares. The company is owned by the IRFU, SRU, WRU and IRF.

The IRF are not part of the SKY deal and therefore sky moneys will be paid to the celtic unions first and then allocated to the regions/privinces which is what happened previously. Also the WRU has never deducted a handling fee as you suggest and this would obviously be ridiculous.
Scrumdown, you have the cheek to pick up SS on his reading comprehension (excersises and privinces) being spelling mistakes, if you believe that the WRU give all TV revenue monies recieved through competitions that the Welsh regions play in back to the regions, you are delusional.

Last edited by wayne on Thu May 09, 2013 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Response put in wrong position)

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 pm

wayne wrote:
Scrumdown, you have the cheek to pick up SS on his reading comprehension (excersises and privinces) being spelling mistakes, if you believe that the WRU give all TV revenue monies recieved through competitions that the Welsh regions play in back to the regions, you are delusional.

[/quote]

Wayne,

SS gave you false information so I felt duty bound to correct him and give you the facts.

You should thank me for doing so.

By the way it is spelt 'excercises' so not a spelling mistake!

You could do an online search on Companies house in Ireland for a company called 'celtic rugby limited'. There you will be able to confirm the shareholders (the owners) and directors of the company. This is the company that brokered the deal with sky and it is owned by the rugby unions (not the regions/provinces) as SS implied.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Exercises. Only one 'c'!

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Thu May 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Griff wrote:Exercises. Only one 'c'!

Poopie!

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Scrumdown wrote:

Poopie!

Atleast thats better than reading something saying the money is going direct to the Pro12 sides, but nit being able to find it again to show your not making cack up.

Either way as long as the four regions all get what they are due its all ok in the end.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Scrumdown wrote:

Poopie!

Atleast thats better than reading something saying the money is going direct to the Pro12 sides, but nit being able to find it again to show your not making cack up.

Either way as long as the four regions all get what they are due its all ok in the end.

SS, check out an article on walesonline written by sion barry in the business section of the website this week. Not sure how to do the link but it is a well written article.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu May 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Scrumdown wrote:
wayne wrote:

Wayne,

SS gave you false information so I felt duty bound to correct him and give you the facts.

You should thank me for doing so.

By the way it is spelt 'excercises' so not a spelling mistake!

You could do an online search on Companies house in Ireland for a company called 'celtic rugby limited'. There you will be able to confirm the shareholders (the owners) and directors of the company. This is the company that brokered the deal with sky and it is owned by the rugby unions (not the regions/provinces) as SS implied.

[/quote]
Scrumdown, I already knew that the deal was brokered by the Celtic League hierarchy, that was why I told you that the WRU does not give back the total amount they get from the TV companies that film all competitions that our clubs participate in. There is no such word as excersises in the Oxford English Dictionary, it is spelt exercise

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3