The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions weaknesses

+34
GloriousEmpire
100%beefy
glamorganalun
Toadfish
kiakahaaotearoa
dragonbreath
lostinwales
doctor_grey
RubyGuby
The Saint
gavstar
bsando
BigTrevsbigmac
InjuredYetAgain
maestegmafia
theslosty
BristolDave
Taylorman
The Great Aukster
Pal Joey
TJ1
Artful_Dodger
majesticimperialman
UlstermaninGlasgow
Rugby Fan
OzT
tigertattie
flyhalffactory
Biltong
Mickado
dummy_half
thebluesmancometh
gowershowerpower
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
38 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Lions weaknesses - Page 4 Empty Lions weaknesses

Post by R!skysports Fri 03 May 2013, 2:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

With the selection made and the current squad packing their bags, where do you think we have the most potential weaknesses? (this is not a country bashing thread btw).

For my opinion I think we have the squad to make a good strong team, but with any touring squad there are a few areas that are relatively weaker than others

Front Row - I think an area of strength, certainly with the first choice. There are some concerns over the bench on hooker, I do not actually think it is really that weak. Our third sting options (In my opinion Stevens and Vinoploa) are weaker / untested - but as third string should not have an impact

Second row - lots of options and some good strength - main concern if the fitness of Gray and POC, both coming back from injury - if they come up to their potential - I think we have a very strong group to choose from

Back row - big debate over Lydiate and Croft and their fitness / form - while still a concern, there are good options in the back row. With the addition of croft, we have some varying styles we can go with. Only other concern is has Gatland put a rod up his back with a captain who may not be the best in his position?

Scrum half - Actually think this is a slightly weaker area. - Philips at his best is very good, but apart from the England game, he was fairly poor in the 6 nations. Additonally his style may not always suit playing Australia. Youngs can be sublime, but not sure he is firing on all cylinders, but he does offer a different challenge to Australia. Murray is a less experiences Phillips. Not sure if there was anyone else really putting their hand up to fly (Maybe Care), which has left us a little weaker here

10 - Weak area - mainly because we have only 2. One is going through a little bit of a dip (and is slightly limited) and one coming back from injury. Will the tour re-invigorate Farrel and will he cope with the pressure. He is not nearly as bad as some people say, or as good as others say. The fact that Hogg may be shoe horned in (after not playing there since school (which to be fair is only 2 weeks agao :-0 )) shows we are short of options

12 / 13 - Weak / Medium- we have limited options to mix around 12 coupled with a grand dad who was (and could still be) world class, but will he survive. We have a strong runner, but off form and some questions about his passing and awareness and a strong performer, but needs to click. Could be a strength if it comes together, but an area to watch

Wings - Strong area - good mix of styles and strike runners. Might have been nice to have a bolter here, as the only area I think we are lacking is the magic dust of pixie feet

Full back - Strong area - 3 very good full backs - all offering something slightly different - if they all hit form, we are spoilt for choice

Gatland - Medium - brought Wales forward and has developed them into the leading NH team, but can he adapt enough to get that win over Australia - if Plan A is not working, does he have the guile to create and execute Plan B - at the moment I am not sure

Over all, I think we have a medium to strong squad - which may get stronger as some of the players gain fitness

Final note - Fans - Very strong (if sometimes a little mental angel )

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Lions weaknesses - Page 4 Empty Re: Lions weaknesses

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 May 2013, 3:03 pm

If people are stupid enough to pay the price then let them pay the price.

In the last tour I went down my local supermarket and bought tickets for a number of non-test tour matches for £8 a pop a few weeks before the matches. Anyone could have bought them be they tourists/locals or touts.

I bet travelling fans paid a lot more for tickets, even those who bought them close to match day or on day itself..... and they all got lumped in the coalface standing only seats in Newlands. You had to laugh but then again, its only money.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 3:06 pm

fa0019 wrote:If people are stupid enough to pay the price then let them pay the price.

In the last tour I went down my local supermarket and bought tickets for a number of non-test tour matches for £8 a pop a few weeks before the matches. Anyone could have bought them be they tourists/locals or touts.

I bet travelling fans paid a lot more for tickets, even those who bought them close to match day or on day itself..... and they all got lumped in the coalface standing only seats in Newlands. You had to laugh but then again, its only money.

It's only a bit of ribbing fa0019, if I was seriously worried about money I wouldve got the 9 stop flight options with the chinese airlines instead of the 7 stopover option that included a ryanair flight to Warsaw Erm

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 17 May 2013, 3:08 pm

I think my wife would allow me to go on a lions tour with the boys but may have a few reservations about any trip to Poland..... a married man's nightmare.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 May 2013, 3:15 pm

Coming via Guangdong Province, are we blues?

Don't forget your face mask if so (seriously) and try not to touch anything or anyone. Some serious bugs going around.

I usually go the emirates/etihad route. The plane 'surfs' diagonally down across the Indian Ocean (below WA) then sweeps up again crossing the continent between Adelaide and Melbourne. Only 14 hours from Dubai/Abu Dhabi (add 7 to Paris). The best way to get here by far, hardly had any jet lag on the A380... not much noise from the engines either although I like a little to send me off to sleep. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 3:24 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Coming via Guangdong Province, are we blues?

Don't forget your face mask if so (seriously) and try not to touch anything or anyone. Some serious bugs going around.

I usually go the emirates/etihad route. The plane 'surfs' diagonally down across the Indian Ocean (below WA) then sweeps up again crossing the continent between Adelaide and Melbourne. Only 14 hours from Dubai/Abu Dhabi (add 7 to Paris). The best way to get here by far, hardly had any jet lag on the A380... not much noise from the engines either although I like a little to send me off to sleep. OK

Pretty much what I am doing, Heathrow to Dubai, dubai to Sydney, according to the schedule it's near 10 hours each side though, logistic nightmare!!

Ive never flown to Aus before, taken a few 9/10 hour flights to the states/SA but this just seems like a nightmare, do I have a drink on the first then risk the hangover at stopover (2 hours) or just take a sleeping pill and then have a drink on the 2nd, but then landing in Sydney at 6.00am buzzed or hungover??

Any tips?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 17 May 2013, 3:27 pm

You've got to recoup the costs of the air ticket and hammer the drinks trolley. You're going to be jet lagged anyway. LB will be looking out for you when you arrive so go for David Boon's record and enjoy. Short haul flights are for nancy boys! Lions weaknesses - Page 4 3559488474

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 3:32 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:You've got to recoup the costs of the air ticket and hammer the drinks trolley. You're going to be jet lagged anyway. LB will be looking out for you when you arrive so go for David Boon's record and enjoy. Short haul flights are for nancy boys! Lions weaknesses - Page 4 3559488474

Laugh Ye the plan is to drink the flight cost away, problem is I'll need to ditch the lag quickly because of the schedule, game day when we arrive, skywalk, and competition day after then bridge climb and head out onto the open road... I can feel the hangover already!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 17 May 2013, 3:34 pm

That's when the sleeping pills will come in handy. Slip them in her drink and then flag all that sightseeing rubbish. Ghastly city, nothing to see. You can only feel a hangover if you stop drinking. Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 3:38 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:That's when the sleeping pills will come in handy. Slip them in her drink and then flag all that sightseeing rubbish. Ghastly city, nothing to see. You can only feel a hangover if you stop drinking. Very Happy

Laugh Not for the price I paid £100 to walk over a poxy bridge???!!!

Plus if I keep her sweet with the touristy stuff she is popping off on a flight to Perth to see family for a week, and I get the van and rugby all to myself Yahoo

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 May 2013, 3:41 pm

I'd try to keep it under control on the first leg to UAE. Maybe slip a pill before boarding again for the 2nd longer leg (2 hours isn't too bad a stopover... time flies by).

Personally, I don't take sleeping pills. I just let the natural tiredness happen. The most important thing is to keep hydrated with water - they say double the quantity of alcohol you drink... but then you'll end up having to go to the bathroom more during the last few hours of the 2nd leg.

Also, have a good meal, etc before you leave and eat all they offer on the 1st leg. On the second - only eat the first one... then maybe a snack only a few hours after that. I find the 'breakfast' is the one that doesn't sit well... powdered eggs, fatty type food, fake OJ. Much better to pass that... taper off the booze if possible... and then have a proper brekky in Sydney at around 9am. (I'm picking up a mate from Lydney and I'm taking him to Bondi/Bronte or Manly for a proper feed.) Then try and power through the day (no rest). If you then go out for a few hours drinking that night... it will hit you around 10-11pm and you'll sleep like a baby. OK

The other thing (was going to tell Kiwi). It's a good idea I believe to take get a prescription of anti-biotics before you leave. Take two mid way through the first leg (or even on the day you leave). Careful if you drink a lot though. If you don't overdo the drink... you might get a nice, mild relaxing buzz... and that 'ring of confidence' Very Happy not to mention protection from the stuff they pump through the air vents on the planes. It's a lottery really. Sometimes it's fine; other times you get hit by some nasty bugs or if you already have a sniffle it will get 10 times worse.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 3:44 pm

Linebreaker wrote:I'd try to keep it under control on the first leg to UAE. Maybe slip a pill before boarding again for the 2nd longer leg (2 hours isn't too bad a stopover... time flies by).

Personally, I don't take sleeping pills. I just let the natural tiredness happen. The most important thing is to keep hydrated with water - they say double the quantity of alcohol you drink... but then you'll end up having to go to the bathroom more during the last few hours of the 2nd leg.

Also, have a good meal, etc before you leave and eat all they offer on the 1st leg. On the second - only eat the first one... then maybe a snack only a few hours after that. I find the 'breakfast' is the one that doesn't sit well... powdered eggs, fatty type food, fake OJ. Much better to pass that... taper off the booze if possible... and then have a proper brekky in Sydney at around 9am. (I'm picking up a mate from Lydney and I'm taking him to Bondi/Bronte or Manly for a proper feed.) Then try and power through the day (no rest). If you then go out for a few hours drinking that night... it will hit you around 10-11pm and you'll sleep like a baby. OK

The other thing (was going to tell Kiwi). It's a good idea I believe to take get a prescription of anti-biotics before you leave. Take two mid way through the first leg (or even on the day you leave). Careful if you drink a lot though. If you don't overdo the drink... you might get a nice, mild relaxing buzz... and that 'ring of confidence' Very Happy not to mention protection from the stuff they pump through the air vents on the planes. It's a lottery really. Sometimes it's fine; other times you get hit by some nasty bugs or if you already have a sniffle it will get 10 times worse.

wow that was impressive will do OK

I thought my hydro bottle and bottle of asprin was my flight strategy, plenty of water then an overdose if not going well!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 17 May 2013, 3:47 pm

Get her to bungee jump off the bridge if you feel compelled to go then. Not your fault you didn't know they don't bungee jump over the Sydney Bridge. Seemed perfectly plausible bungee is so strong it's transparent.

Hang your head in shame LB. That's the biggest load of Nana advice I've ever heard. Are you going to put him on a one shandy per day allowance to assist with recovery after he arrives?!

Australian customs is a daunting task for novices. Far better to be off your face as you'll inevitably be busted for bringing something illegal into the country and drunkenness is your best defence. RedWine

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 May 2013, 3:52 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:That's when the sleeping pills will come in handy. Slip them in her drink and then flag all that sightseeing rubbish. Ghastly city, nothing to see. You can only feel a hangover if you stop drinking. Very Happy

Laugh Not for the price I paid £100 to walk over a poxy bridge???!!!

Plus if I keep her sweet with the touristy stuff she is popping off on a flight to Perth to see family for a week, and I get the van and rugby all to myself Yahoo

Ahem.... we used to do it illegally, carrying bottles of booze up there which we had started drinking near the old battery on Middle Head. A mate of mine nearly slipped off the top chord! Some really scary acrobatics to get around the barbed-wire fences. I did it three times. On the 4th - I never made it... got distracted and gave it a pass. The other guys got arrested on the way down. It was a few years after that that someone came up with the idea of the Bridge climb. They made it all properly accessible. Haven't been up there since.

I won't tell you what we used to do when they were building some of the skyscrapers. Let's just say the Security was very lax in the late 70s early 80s. We were teenage daredevils. One bloke jumped up on the parapet of a 68-story building (I was cowering near the BMU -cleaning equipment on a rail structure) and he said "look... no hands... oh... I'm falling... help!!!" Erm I later heard he was sent out to the country to chill off a bit; change of scenery type of thing... Whistle

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 May 2013, 4:03 pm

None of that girly safety harness stuff when I did it, kia.

I remember one night there was light drizzle. It was an eerie green-grey slippery slide. You had to run up the sandstone portals first (NE corner) about 5-6m... using momentum. Took a few goes. You's get 3/4 way up then slide back down again (bottles in a bag around neck!)

Then you had to break in through an unlocked door Whistle climb some internal stairs and exit out on the bottom chord. Then step around a barbed-wire cage to external steel stairs above the traffic. At the top of that... another steel cage to negotiate. Then the top arch which has since been made slip-proof. It was a real buzz I can tell you.

No pansy safety clips and ropes, kia!

Scariest thing was the trip down though. We'd only stay up there for 15 mins max. before we all got bored and decided to come down again.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 17 May 2013, 4:09 pm

How the mighty have fallen. Going from that to advising to take it easy on long haul flights and skipping meals and going easy on the booze. You've given up on life mate or you're just amazed you didn't throw it away when you were younger. Very Happy

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 May 2013, 4:21 pm

Yes kia, I've had a few too many close calls. Lucky escapes... that sort of thing.

Maybe it's kind of dormant inside me now. Still a risk taker but more calculated these days. I love to unwind as well but have had too many bad experiences after long-haul flights from slightly overdoing things. You get to a stage when you really can't be bothered any more. Seeing younger travellers getting thrown off planes in places like Bandar Seri Begawan (strict Muslim laws) and arguing with customs and security kind of brings you to your senses. Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 4:26 pm

Are customs tht bad in Aus???

Ive been told I will be pulled up fopr something so might as well take something for them to focus on, a peice of fruit maybe...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 17 May 2013, 4:27 pm

Laugh I'm only winding you up mate. Some of the stuff I used to do skiing or surfing when I was younger for example would never cross my mind nowadays. We tend to get a bit more cautious when we grow older and the ones that don't often end up dying. Still like a few drinks watching the films though. Thank God for individual screens. That aspect has certainly improved on the old days.

Air travel used to be great. Now the endless security checks and sullen airport staff and some of the insufferable passengers you have to put up with have taken all the joy out of aviation travel.

Most people get let off after a couple of days in jail. Wouldn't sweat it mate. The fruit is definitely a good idea. thumbsup

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 May 2013, 4:30 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:You've got to recoup the costs of the air ticket and hammer the drinks trolley. You're going to be jet lagged anyway. LB will be looking out for you when you arrive so go for David Boon's record and enjoy. Short haul flights are for nancy boys! Lions weaknesses - Page 4 3559488474

Laugh Ye the plan is to drink the flight cost away, problem is I'll need to ditch the lag quickly because of the schedule, game day when we arrive, skywalk, and competition day after then bridge climb and head out onto the open road... I can feel the hangover already!

Forgot to mention - they have a breathaliser before you get your kit for the climb. So pack some mints! (not that they will help reduce your blood alcohol level though)

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 4:31 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote: Laugh I'm only winding you up mate. Some of the stuff I used to do skiing or surfing when I was younger for example would never cross my mind nowadays. We tend to get a bit more cautious when we grow older and the ones that don't often end up dying. Still like a few drinks watching the films though. Thank God for individual screens. That aspect has certainly improved on the old days.

Air travel used to be great. Now the endless security checks and sullen airport staff and some of the insufferable passengers you have to put up with have taken all the joy out of aviation travel.

Most people get let off after a couple of days in jail. Wouldn't sweat it mate. The fruit is definitely a good idea. thumbsup

Laugh If they focus on the fruit they won't notice the 3 kg's of cocaine in my stomache Whistle

I did know a mate who thought it would be a good practical joke to wrap airline sugar in a peice of cellaphane on the plane, then [pop it into his mates carry on, apparently that did not go well, and the day fter they landed they got out of a holding cell $200 lighter each, that is one dull practical joke...

That I might try on the missus idea

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 May 2013, 4:36 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Are customs tht bad in Aus???

Ive been told I will be pulled up fopr something so might as well take something for them to focus on, a peice of fruit maybe...

Never had a problem with the Lebanese gangsters in Customs. Just bowl up to the counter, say G'day and toss em your little red book.
It pays to be honest when filling out the customs card but don't tell them you've spent the last months diggin' through peat bogs.
I always try to smuggle something in though - see if the dogs can sniff it out. A few doggie treats slipped down their lip-schmackers tends to keep their little tails wagging, I find.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 4:46 pm

Linebreaker wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Are customs tht bad in Aus???

Never had a problem with the Lebanese gangsters in Customs. Just bowl up to the counter, say G'day and toss em your little red book.
It pays to be honest when filling out the customs card but don't tell them you've spent the last months diggin' through peat bogs.
I always try to smuggle something in though - see if the dogs can sniff it out. A few doggie treats slipped down their lip-schmackers tends to keep their little tails wagging, I find.

Call it age, call it excitement for the tour, call it whatever you like I think I'll probably play it safe this time round...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 May 2013, 4:48 pm

Go on... I dare you to smuggle a leek or 6 in.

Tell them Warbs gave you the instruction to do so and you have to "fall into line... or else!" Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 4:50 pm

Linebreaker wrote:Go on... I dare you to smuggle a leek or 6 in.

Tell them Warbs gave you the instruction to do so and you have to "fall into line... or else!" Laugh

Don't start on here too, the missus is like a dog with a bone when I start talking about St Paddy being a welsh farmer who was abducted and found himself in Ireland, now I know it's either a famous figure thing or an Irish tendancy to be so precious!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 4:51 pm

Besides a leek in should be much easier than a Roo out...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 17 May 2013, 4:56 pm

Maybe a baby joey will fit in your side corduroy coat pocket.

That's true about St Paddy... didn't they sail over to Ireland when they realised the Welsh would be too difficult to convert? Something about him and his entourage not being able to get a word in edgeways?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 17 May 2013, 5:24 pm

Maybe I should just take a bumbag...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content