The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films

+20
pscott
Bull
sodhat
Mad for Chelsea
ChequeredJersey
Hulking_up
Gibson
nadeem2099
Kenny
mystiroakey
Dolphin Ziggler
MIG
Glas a du
Hero
TRUSSMAN66
hornbloweroafc
Stella
Galted
Crimey
Adam D
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Vote for your favourite

Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap16%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 19 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap13%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 15 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap5%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 6 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap11%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 13 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap21%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 24 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap11%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 13 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap1%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap1%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap4%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 5 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap9%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 10 ]
Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_lcap8%Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 116

Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Empty Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films

Post by Adam D Tue 07 May 2013, 1:28 pm

7 rounds down and The Bull is in the lead but he can be caught!!!

This round is all about science fiction and what a great selection we have:

The Matrix
Alien
Total Recall
Predator
Star Wars IV - A new hope
Inception
cocoon
Frankenstein
Start Trek II - The Wrath of Khan
Jurassic Park
Wall E

But no Flash gordon!

Anyway, as always, vote for your 2 favourite. Next week the penultimate round is films with a colour in the title.

Cocoon - Old folks at a home and at the end of their perceived usefulness find a swimming pool at a nearby house full of Alien cocoons...The Alien energy revitalises them and helps them rediscover their youth leading to self discovery and the realisation that age is a state of mind and not of body... A realisation that gives them a very tough decision to make....Funny and moving..

Inception - Amazing work from Nolan again as well as it being awesome and confusing for some but maybe to vote for this all you need to do is dream deeper!

Jurassic Park - The film that revolutionised special effects. The dino epic that spawned 2 sequels and a 4th/reboot in the pipeline. A truly outstanding films.

Frankenstein - man simultaneously harnesses science and pushes its boundaries that far that he gets to play god, the film is both poignant and chilling & left the viewer wondering who the monster really was. Could the Jurassic Parks of modern cinema ever have existed without it?

The Matrix - A film that came out of nowhere and made the science fiction cool again. A film that redefined Keanu Reeves and had the whole audience in awe as the film progressed. Forget about the sequels bringing down its rep, this is the real deal and works amazingly as a stand alone classic.

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan - "KHHHHAAAAAAAAN!" raged Captain James T Kirk as this classic battle between hero and villain was playing out. Who can ever forget the first time they saw Wrath of Khan? William Shatner gives a good performance, Leonard Nimoy a brilliant one, but it's Ricardo Montalbán's performance as Khan that steals the show and makes this the greatest sci-fi film in history. The best bad guy ever written. And if that doesn't grab your vote, just remember - "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one".

Total Recall (the original)
I never get bored of watching it. It's very cheesy, it's not brilliantly acted, but it's so entertaining.

Predator - Arnie, an alien, guns, the jungle, a wrestler, a mini gun, a laser, a token female, gunfights, soldiers, hunting, skull collecting, an alien nuclear weapon, government cover-ups, green blood! What's not to like?

Stars Wars IV A New Hope - It's not just the best Sci-Fi film, it's the greatest film of all time. Name a film that has changed the way films are made quite like the original SW film, name a film that has a day named after it, name a film that has people changing their religion to. Star Wars A New Hope simply has to win.

Last edited by Adam D on Tue 14 May 2013, 10:23 am; edited 2 times in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Empty Re: Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films

Post by Crimey Tue 07 May 2013, 1:31 pm

I went for Wall.E and Inception, I nearly voted for Star Wars but I think A New Hope isn't quite as strong as Empire Strikes Back and is a bit slow for my liking.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films Empty Re: Movie Cup round 8 - Science fiction films

Post by Adam D Tue 07 May 2013, 1:32 pm

If someone would have picked Flash Gordon, I genuinely wouldnt have voted for my own film this round.

I went for Star Trek II along with my own.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 1:37 pm

Star Trek II and Predator for me. By a country mile, and I'm one of the biggest Star Wars fans you'll find.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 07 May 2013, 1:46 pm

Frankenstein & Jurassic Park for me, Total Recall a close third but lacking in kids getting lobbed into rivers. And no dinosaurs.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 07 May 2013, 2:01 pm

Star Wars and The Matrix.

Is Jurassic Park, sci-fi?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 07 May 2013, 2:02 pm

Predator and Total Recall - Arnie at his best!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 May 2013, 2:03 pm

Didn't like Total recall...........Probably because I didn't understand whether it was a dream or real or what???

Loved Predator though.......... Commando will always be my fave..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 07 May 2013, 2:04 pm

Stella wrote:Star Wars and The Matrix.

Jurassic Park is a 1993 American science fiction adventure film.

Yes, although I can see where you're coming from.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 07 May 2013, 2:04 pm

Of course! Genetically engineered dinosaurs?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 07 May 2013, 2:09 pm

Crimey wrote:

Of course! Genetically engineered dinosaurs?

Makes sense.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Tue 07 May 2013, 2:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Didn't like Total recall...........Probably because I didn't understand whether it was a dream or real or what???

Loved Predator though.......... Commando will always be my fave..

Agree with Commando, had some of the best one liners/quotes ever OK
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 2:11 pm

The Matrix was awful, how has it got any votes? Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 07 May 2013, 2:19 pm

I don't like Star Wars IV, I much prefer the original one before the CGI stuff.

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 2:26 pm

I actually liked the Matrix and then they ruined it with two awful sequels and now I can't bring myself to watch the first one

Star Wars IV isn't even the best of the series let alone the best Sci Fi movie

I went with Inception and predator.

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 07 May 2013, 2:38 pm

Predator is my favourite on the list. Found it hard to pick a second one as I like a lot of them, in the end I opted for Inception.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 07 May 2013, 2:58 pm

Stella wrote:Is Jurassic Park, sci-fi?

According to the Free Dictionary Science-Fiction is A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background, all of the films mentioned fulfil at least one of the criteria.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 07 May 2013, 3:28 pm

Galted wrote:

According to the Free Dictionary Science-Fiction is A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background, all of the films mentioned fulfil at least one of the criteria.
A simple yes would have been fine. Smile

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 07 May 2013, 3:30 pm

I'm sad someone has put Wall-E forward. Inception and Star Wars. The former one of my favourite ever films, the latter only just scraping through over The Matrix

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 07 May 2013, 3:31 pm

New here are you?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Tue 07 May 2013, 3:32 pm

Glas a du wrote:

New here are you?

Ish

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 3:32 pm

Yeah, Wall-E was a bizarre inclusion. Mental that it's doing better than Alien Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 May 2013, 3:34 pm

If I was going to stick a star wars in......... it probably would have been Empire strikes back........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 07 May 2013, 3:35 pm

Wall E and inception.. The rest are yawnnnn IMO Hug

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 07 May 2013, 3:37 pm

Expected Alien to be doing better...With Star wars... the real mould breaker..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 3:38 pm

Wall-E isn't yawnnnn but Jurassic Park / Predator / Wrath of Khan are? Duuuuuuuuude Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 07 May 2013, 3:40 pm

Aye Az YAWWNNNNNN

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 3:41 pm

Wow. I am never going to the cinema with you Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 07 May 2013, 3:42 pm

Nah i only go to see good films bud..

I dl the rest..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 3:43 pm

If I'd have gone to see Wall-E at the cinema I'd have chained myself to the chair afterwards until the cinema manager gave me a refund. I watched it on TV for free and felt ripped off.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 07 May 2013, 3:45 pm

Ok a serious post on my picks.

Wall e. Yes i could call it a slightly dumbed down version of space odyssey 2001. But in a way that is a great thing - It means people can appreciate Kubricks greatest work in the media of a cartoon!!

Inception. Nolan at his best----- problem is when isnt he at his best!!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 3:46 pm

Inception is a great film, it'll stand out for decades.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 07 May 2013, 4:01 pm

Well we can agree on that one pick bud!!

gonna throw 3 different sci films into the mix that i think are awesome and not your typical star wars or aliens yawn fest!

District 9, donnie darko, moon,

(and I prefered prometheus to any alien and all!)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 4:04 pm

District 9 was great, really different, and there is a Saffer kid that lives next to me that me and the wife call 'the little prawn' Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 07 May 2013, 4:15 pm

Going to see the new star trek film next week. Not sure it will be a classic but did enjoy the first one.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 07 May 2013, 4:15 pm

Star Wars and Alien

but i dont think either is the best of there series
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 07 May 2013, 4:28 pm

Yep i agree stella- I enjoyed it and really didnt think i would after all the before star trek stuff!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 07 May 2013, 4:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Yep i agree stella- I enjoyed it and really didnt think i would after all the before star trek stuff!

I had never seen a star trek film or programme before the latest film. maybe that was a good thing? Not sure what the original buffs thought of it.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 07 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Once went out with a lass who didn't know the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek and then compounded it by saying "It's all the same film isn't it?"

I am in no way a Star Wars officiando or a "Trekker" (even though the fact I know "Trekker" is the acceptable name as opposed to "Trekkie" makes me a geek) but for a brief moment I could understand why they get so bent out of shape about their beloved films.

Anyway, Predator and Matrix for me. Great stand alone films that were sadly ruined by the sequels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 07 May 2013, 5:00 pm

Star Trek II is quite possibly the greatest of all the Star Wars/ Trek films.

As a Trek fan, the latest film (as in the one out a few years ago), I thought it was very good.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Tue 07 May 2013, 5:18 pm

If you're that big a fan you could have at least spelt it correctly in the poll Whistle

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 07 May 2013, 5:33 pm

MIG wrote:
Galted wrote:

No chance, I'm massively into sentences, quotes, research & italics.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Tue 07 May 2013, 9:18 pm

Close encounters of the third kind?
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 07 May 2013, 9:31 pm

It's just a synthesiser...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 08 May 2013, 1:32 am

Here's mine.

2001 A Space Odyssey - It set the standard.
Forbidden Planet
Alien
Solaris
Blade Runner
Terminator II
Close Encounters
Children Of Men
Altered States
Silent Running
Logan's Run
Donnie Darko
Dark Star
Contact
ALL the Star Trek Movies - I'm a mad Trekkie

Loads more, but those stand out for me.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 May 2013, 10:17 am

Am I the only guy that liked The Abyss??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 10:21 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Am I the only guy that liked The Abyss??
It nearly got my nomination, a brilliant film that scared the bejeezus out of 7-year old me.

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Wed 08 May 2013, 10:32 am

iRobot
The sphere
ET
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 May 2013, 10:34 am

I robot......was pants.............

Asimov's Book was superb and they dumbed it down............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 May 2013, 10:35 am

Surprised Robocop didnt get a shout as well.

Some good films missing from the list (and some bad ones that I thought Bull would have picked Wink like Avatar)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next