The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There's no blueprint to beat me.

+14
Strongback
superflyweight
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
All Time Great
Duty281
mark_england
Mayweathers cellmate
kingraf
JabMachineMK2
ONETWOFOREVER
azania
hampo17
18 posters

Go down

There's no blueprint to beat me. Empty There's no blueprint to beat me.

Post by hampo17 Fri 10 May - 16:12

“There’s no blueprint to beat me.”

The infamous words that every boxer and boxing fan have heard in every interview Floyd Mayweather JR has given in recent years. The crazy thing is, he is absolutely right. Usually with fighters there is an obvious flaw, something that gives their opponent some hope of winning. This just isn’t the case with the American, for example Amir Khan is well known for being unable to deal with a pressure fighter, but with Floyd there is nothing that can be exploited.

Fans all over the world believed that unbeatable opponent, father time, had begun to catch up with him after the Miguel Cotto fight. It was easy to see why this was so widely believed, he looked flat footed and didn’t have the same movement that had been displayed in recent years. After the fight he said he fought that way to give the fans an exciting, edge of the seat thriller which he had done. Yet there where murmurings before his fight with Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero that due to age, and his recent incarceration that this time he would lose his cherished “0”.

Robert Guerrero had talked about doing certain things that Mayweather JR would never have seen before, he believed that he would be able to walk through the shots and come out the other side with the title. He came with a Hollywood story line, something that could have come straight out of a Rocky Balboa movie, a strong religious belief coupled with a fantastic belief in his own ability.

For the first six minutes of the fight he kept it close, using intelligent pressure. However once Mayweathers right hand found the target it became an easy night. I can honestly say I’ve never seen a boxer land the same punch so many times and his opponent not even try to adjust, whether this was because of the pure speed of the punch or because he just couldn’t I’m not sure, but sadly I don’t recall any of the guys in his corner tell him to avoid that punch. Instead his father kept telling him to throw the uppercut when Floyd ducked down, and while I’m sure his father knew what was happening it did become obvious as the fight went on that he didn’t have any ideas how to break the puzzle that is Floyd Mayweather JR.

The big question now is what next? There’s a lot of talk about the big fight with Saul Alverez at Light Middleweight. It is certainly the biggest test for the American, even if it is only because of the size difference. Should that fight happen though, I feel Canelo would struggle to land anything clean and after three or four rounds he would start eating right hand counters, leading to quite a wide decision win for Mayweather JR.

Amir Khan is the other name being talked about, but only because he has thrown his own name in to the hat rather than being mentioned as an obvious choice. This fight doesn’t last six rounds for me, Diaz showed how easy it is to land the right hand on “King” Khan, and as we saw against Guerrero that right hand doesn’t miss.

One thing I can guarantee though, is that whoever is lucky enough to get a shot at Floyd, and a career high pay day in the process, will certainly here the phrase “44 have tried and 44 have failed.”

http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/05/theres-no-blueprint-to-beat-me.html

boxing

Last edited by hampo171 on Fri 10 May - 16:46; edited 1 time in total

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

There's no blueprint to beat me. Empty Re: There's no blueprint to beat me.

Post by azania Fri 10 May - 16:41

clap

Brilliant article

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 10 May - 16:43

Castillio had his number

As for Floyd's right hand the secret is that he does not telegraph it so no one can tell when it is coming.

Last edited by ONETWOFOREVER on Fri 10 May - 16:45; edited 1 time in total

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 10 May - 16:45

No he didn't. Zero means undefeated bro.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 10 May - 16:45

(an edit to make mate - he'll fight Saul if its made at Light Middleweight, not light heavyweight) thumbsup

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 10 May - 16:47

Saul comes in at lhw anyway. Freudian?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 10 May - 16:47

azania wrote:No he didn't. Zero means undefeated bro.

Yeah well Khan beat Diaz but I had Diaz winning. Castillio beat Mayweather imo for the first fight.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 May - 16:48

But can he do it on a wet Wednesday evening in Stoke?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 10 May - 16:49

azania wrote:Saul comes in at lhw anyway. Freudian?

Nope, had my mind on a McDonnell article I'd started writing and needed to finish.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 10 May - 16:49

kingraf wrote:But can he do it on a wet Wednesday evening in Stoke?

I do it every evening in stoke wet.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Fri 10 May - 17:37

When was the last time Mayweather fought someone at the top of their game?

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 May - 17:44

Canelo is 5'9, 22 and is bursting at the LMW seams. In a few years will he stand a chance at LHW and SMW?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 10 May - 17:50

The guy is like a really pale Tim Bradley. Theres no way he can keep LMW
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mark_england Fri 10 May - 18:45

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:When was the last time Mayweather fought someone at the top of their game?

Last weekend.

* There's no blue print on beating him.
* Basically every single fighter he fights is made to look silly.
* Very accurate with his shots.
* Master of defence who rarely gets hit clean.

The man is the best boxer to ever have lived, people will probably only realise once he's gone.

mark_england

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 May - 19:12

Say what you like, he still shat himself when Hatton squared up to him at the weigh-in, and the English fans took over that small American town.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 10 May - 19:15

Hatton shat after headbutting the corner post.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 May - 19:18

Not the best move that, I must admit.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 10 May - 19:19

Floyd lost against Castillo by 2 rounds:

https://youtu.be/Q626NV61PGU

Having said that he avenged the "loss" well in the rematch. He may have his "0" in tact but there's no doubting he probably lost the first fight.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri 10 May - 19:31

DLH and Cotto made the fights close by using their jab, a punch that is hard to slip out of the shoulder roll defence as you squared on and leaning back won't get you away from it

The straight right, except when Mosley got lucky, and the left hook upstairs are the punches that have next to no effect on Floyd and are pretty much nullified completely by his shoulder roll

To beat Floyd you need to punch in combinations and not go shot for shot with him as he will land his and you'll miss yours. And don't head hunt, tag him to the body as he doesn't use his feet but his upperbody meaning the body is a stationary target on the ropes

There isn't a blueprint per se, but between Castillo, DLH, Judah and Cotto performances then there are weaknesses but you have to be some kind of fighter to be able to exploit those weaknesses enough to bank enough rounds

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 10 May - 19:33

Duty281 wrote:Say what you like, he still shat himself when Hatton squared up to him at the weigh-in, and the English fans took over that small American town.

What Tripe....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Fri 10 May - 21:17

Khan has all the attributes to beat him. He goes to the body well, punches in furious combinations (which includes having a high accuracy rate) and I don't believe Mayweather has enough power to take Khan out unless he does land a clean flush shot.

Khan could well bank enough rounds to score a decision victory. Only opponent I can think of that has the offensive ability (other than Pacqiou to out score Mayweather).

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 10 May - 21:34

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:DLH and Cotto made the fights close by using their jab, a punch that is hard to slip out of the shoulder roll defence as you squared on and leaning back won't get you away from it

The straight right, except when Mosley got lucky, and the left hook upstairs are the punches that have next to no effect on Floyd and are pretty much nullified completely by his shoulder roll

To beat Floyd you need to punch in combinations and not go shot for shot with him as he will land his and you'll miss yours. And don't head hunt, tag him to the body as he doesn't use his feet but his upperbody meaning the body is a stationary target on the ropes

There isn't a blueprint per se, but between Castillo, DLH, Judah and Cotto performances then there are weaknesses but you have to be some kind of fighter to be able to exploit those weaknesses enough to bank enough rounds

Good analysis. He doesn't ship much to the body though, even on the ropes he picks them off with arms ANC elbows. Personally I think Oscar gave us the nearest to a blueprint, he just couldn't pull the trigger anymore.

All time great... Welcome to my 'khan could trouble mayweather' bandwagon. If two people constitute a bandwagon.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Sat 11 May - 8:17

It would take a hell of a fighter but there is a basic blueprint of sorts. A fast, accurate jab and enough speed and power in the other hand to stop Floyd throwing the overhand right. The only fighter I can be absolutely sure of executing that plan in and around Floyd's weight is Tommy Hearns.

Other than that, it would take an exceptional and somewhat uncoventional performance from someone like Leonard, Manny or Whitaker and Leonard is the only one of those that start as a favourite against Floyd.

I've left out anyone pre Leonard so as not to allow Az to de-rail this in the usual fashion.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 11 May - 8:44

I don't think out muscling Floyd is ever going to work, too many have believed they could bully him because he is the smaller man. Castillo showed Mayweather doesn't like it when a fighter with a high work rated and good accuracy swarms all over him particularly to the body.

The key to beating Floyd to me is a lot of movement and speed making it difficult for Mayweather to dictate the pace of the fight. Once Floyd gets into his rythym and gets comfortable fighting a modest paced very technical fight he is unbeatable. Oscar was able to keep circling and delivering a nice jab but just didn't have the engine at that stage of his career to keep up those tactics for 12 rounds.

As it stands I don't see any fighter at 147/154 touching Floyd. Manny had the best chance but probably would have lost but not without giving Floyd a few scares.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 11 May - 9:01

I think size is the untested factor against Floyd. And size has always mattered. Since he has set up home at welterweight, the only real size disadvantage he has given away has been to Oscar and Cotto. He didn't test himself against the biggest welters Margery, Clottey, Pwilly.

Now I'm not saying that Canelo would beat him, but a 172lb fighter in with a 151lb Floyd would make for a serious levelling of the playing field. Hell if Floyd moved straight to middle weight and fought Martinez he wouldn't be giving away that kind of weight difference.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 11 May - 9:19

Wasn't Floyd injured going into the castillo fight.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 11 May - 9:25

He got injured in fight, IIRC, Az. First three rounds.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 11 May - 9:37

Don't forget the 2nd Castillo fight was close as well.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 11 May - 9:41

No Strongback, it wasnt. That was a whipping. If I could compare it to a recent fight, it was Chavez-Martinez without the knockdown.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sat 11 May - 11:41

I'm pretty sure floyd has changed a lot since Castillo it was a close fight 11 years ago its just crazy how people use this against him it was a close fight which he rematched! And the size factor on fight night I think it's only Marquez that he has weighed more every other fighter is bigger

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 11 May - 12:54

Diamond in the rough wrote:I'm pretty sure floyd has changed a lot since Castillo it was a close fight 11 years ago its just crazy how people use this against him it was a close fight which he rematched! And the size factor on fight night I think it's only Marquez that he has weighed more every other fighter is bigger

Agree to some extent. But when we're talking in terms of a blue print, 3 fighters who were accurate and able to swarm Mayweather had a similar level of success. E.g Castillo, ODLH & Cotto. I was at the Mayweather/ Ortiz fight and when Ortiz started to up his rate in round 4 he was looking more dangerous and Floyd less comfortable.

Floyd hasn't faced a fighter like Khan or Pacquiao who I generally believe will present him real problems and possibly out score him with a decision victory as Castillo did in the first fight.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 11 May - 13:37

kingraf wrote:No Strongback, it wasnt. That was a whipping. If I could compare it to a recent fight, it was Chavez-Martinez without the knockdown.

Close on the cards for a whipping:

judge: Ken Morita 115-113 | judge: Larry O'Connell 116-113 | judge: Daniel Van de Wiele 115-113

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 11 May - 13:42

Okay, Not Chavez-Martinez, but it wasnt 7-5.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 11 May - 14:48

Strongback wrote:
kingraf wrote:No Strongback, it wasnt. That was a whipping. If I could compare it to a recent fight, it was Chavez-Martinez without the knockdown.

Close on the cards for a whipping:

judge: Ken Morita 115-113 | judge: Larry O'Connell 116-113 | judge: Daniel Van de Wiele 115-113

Wasn't that the scores for their first fight?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sat 11 May - 15:03

mark_england wrote:
Mayweathers cellmate wrote:When was the last time Mayweather fought someone at the top of their game?

Last weekend.

* There's no blue print on beating him.
* Basically every single fighter he fights is made to look silly.
* Very accurate with his shots.
* Master of defence who rarely gets hit clean.

The man is the best boxer to ever have lived, people will probably only realise once he's gone.

Laugh but in all seriousness Guerro had had just one title fight.

Wouldn't even say Hatton was at the top of his game at WW when he fought Floyd, you'd probably have to go back to Castillo, which maybe gives us an indication of why. Compare that to someone like Hopkins who has fought probably 5 or 6 top world class operators at the height of their powers over the last few years, and Floyd's record over the last 10 years looks a bit Poopie really.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 11 May - 15:12

Nope... Crazily the cards were wider fir the first fight.

Mayweather was complaining about his shoulder between rounds in the first fight, which might have been a contributing reason for his troubles, but the second fight was still close, and Castillo was able to get to him in the middle rounds.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 11 May - 15:22

I haven't seen the second fight for a while but I had it to Floyd by 5 rounds IIRC. Their first fight was razor thin which could have gone either way. If the scoring was wider in their first fight then something was amiss.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 11 May - 15:57

Think the hbo boys had the second fight pretty close, I recall it being competitive but little doubt who won. First fight was close, no robbery but the cards were wide of the mark.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sat 11 May - 18:05

All Time Great wrote:
Diamond in the rough wrote:I'm pretty sure floyd has changed a lot since Castillo it was a close fight 11 years ago its just crazy how people use this against him it was a close fight which he rematched! And the size factor on fight night I think it's only Marquez that he has weighed more every other fighter is bigger

Agree to some extent. But when we're talking in terms of a blue print, 3 fighters who were accurate and able to swarm Mayweather had a similar level of success. E.g Castillo, ODLH & Cotto. I was at the Mayweather/ Ortiz fight and when Ortiz started to up his rate in round 4 he was looking more dangerous and Floyd less comfortable.

Floyd hasn't faced a fighter like Khan or Pacquiao who I generally believe will present him real problems and possibly out score him with a decision victory as Castillo did in the first fight.

The Ortiz fight which floyd won every round! I actually agree in khan will cause him problems first couple rounds but by round 4 floyd will start to time him and can see him stopping him late in the fight! I think most fighters go in with the Castillo plan but once he hits you the plan kinda goes out the window

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 11 May - 18:29

azania wrote:I haven't seen the second fight for a while but I had it to Floyd by 5 rounds IIRC. Their first fight was razor thin which could have gone either way. If the scoring was wider in their first fight then something was amiss.

Did the fight have a knock down? Or a points deduction? How did you get the 5 rounds (I assume you mean points?).

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Sat 11 May - 21:18

All Time Great wrote:

Khan has the speed and ability to out-box Mayweather. Whereas Mayweather does not really have the one punch power to KO Khan. Would be a very interesting fight.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 11 May - 22:21

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
azania wrote:I haven't seen the second fight for a while but I had it to Floyd by 5 rounds IIRC. Their first fight was razor thin which could have gone either way. If the scoring was wider in their first fight then something was amiss.

Did the fight have a knock down? Or a points deduction? How did you get the 5 rounds (I assume you mean points?).

Sorry points.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 13 May - 13:08

superflyweight wrote:It would take a hell of a fighter but there is a basic blueprint of sorts. A fast, accurate jab and enough speed and power in the other hand to stop Floyd throwing the overhand right. The only fighter I can be absolutely sure of executing that plan in and around Floyd's weight is Tommy Hearns.

Other than that, it would take an exceptional and somewhat uncoventional performance from someone like Leonard, Manny or Whitaker and Leonard is the only one of those that start as a favourite against Floyd.

I've left out anyone pre Leonard so as not to allow Az to de-rail this in the usual fashion.

That's how I see it. Almost nobody could outbox Tommy, add to that his speed power and exceptional physique and I'd have him heavy favourite at 154 and marginal favourite at 147.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down