The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review of your club's season

+31
Feckless Rogue
RuggerRadge2611
RDW
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
wales606
caz
Mickado
TJ1
George Carlin
rodders
Irish Londoner
asoreleftshoulder
Notch
red_stag
Hound of Harrow
Breadvan
Bathite
Luckless Pedestrian
ChequeredJersey
Kingshu
Geordie
Poorfour
formerly known as Sam
Bathman_in_London
englishborn
thomh
HongKongCherry
aitchw
maestegmafia
ScarletSpiderman
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
35 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Review of your club's season - Page 2 Empty Review of your club's season

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 13 May 2013, 8:59 am

First topic message reminder :

In the spirit of maes' excellent thread last year (https://www.606v2.com/t28791-review-of-the-season-for-your-team):

maestegmafia wrote:I was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to write a few words on how you feel the season went for your club/province/region this year, as for all but a few of us our season is now over...!

In the endeavour to create an interesting thread minus pointless trolling mocking and jeering. It would be the gentlemanly thing to do to encourage a review of your own club before you start to pass opinion on what other board members have contributed as opinions of their own clubs.

can I ask that you take a moment to contemplate how your club has gone over the course of the whole season? A couple of clubs still have something to play for, and all participants in the semifinals that I watched this weekend are to be heartily congratulated for some truly excellent rugby clap If you have the energy, finish off with a thought about what you'd like to see for next season too OK

Ale

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Review of your club's season - Page 2 Empty Re: Review of your club's season

Post by RDW Wed 15 May 2013, 1:32 pm

To be fair if there is anything the Weedge can't slag us about it is HK success - come back when you've qualified for the QF at least once! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 15 May 2013, 1:36 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:To be fair if there is anything the Weedge can't slag us about it is HK success - come back when you've qualified for the QF! Very Happy

Yeh, what he said! We've made it to the knockout stages twice - practically regulars. Soon Barnes will label us "European Aristocrats", whatever the hell that actually means in a rugby context.

Glasgow are just big stage chokers. The John Mitchell's NZ of NH club rugby (a reference for Pete if he's still on here as a little thank you for finding three turd players to send us).

boxing

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 15 May 2013, 1:38 pm

I give you guys 1 day before Schiz is on here calling us 10 different types of Metrosexual w@nkers for this sort of stuff, but RDW raises a good point Whistle
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 15 May 2013, 1:42 pm

I don't worry about that sort of thing. Those Glaswegians see us, with our beautiful city, our culture, the home of Scottish rugby and a population that generally doesn't think the stars of the badges at McDonalds are the same as Michelin Stars, and they get a little bit jealous. I get it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 15 May 2013, 1:46 pm

Totally off topic but anyone seen the picture of the Weedge jakey hoovering up a puddle with a Dyson??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 15 May 2013, 1:49 pm

Nope - but I'm going to have to search for it now!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 15 May 2013, 1:51 pm

https://imgur.com/5KV92tm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 15 May 2013, 1:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:https://imgur.com/5KV92tm

Laugh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 15 May 2013, 1:52 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I don't worry about that sort of thing. Those Glaswegians see us, with our beautiful city, our culture, the home of Scottish rugby and a population that generally doesn't think the stars of the badges at McDonalds are the same as Michelin Stars, and they get a little bit jealous. I get it.
Totally true - all that AND a guaranteed 5 points when we come over to play rugby there.
Icing. Cake.cake
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 15 May 2013, 1:53 pm

Is that ASBO!!? I think he does some street cleaning once he's done painting the lines on the road.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 15 May 2013, 1:57 pm

Leinster

Signs of a slight decline (hope Gibson isn't reading).

But still one of EUrope's best teams and number 1 in terms of attacking movement and accuracy. Defence looks shakier. Could win two trophies, which has to be seen as a big success. Two lost finals would be hard to take. One Cup and one runners up spot will be satisfactory. I'd rather win the Rabo overall. But looking at the opposition in both finals, losing to Stade in the Amlin would actually be a worse result than losing to Ulster in the Rabo.

Last edited by Feckless Rogue on Wed 15 May 2013, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 15 May 2013, 1:57 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I don't worry about that sort of thing. Those Glaswegians see us, with our beautiful city, our culture, the home of Scottish rugby and a population that generally doesn't think the stars of the badges at McDonalds are the same as Michelin Stars, and they get a little bit jealous. I get it.
Totally true - all that AND a guaranteed 5 points when we come over to play rugby there.
Icing. Cake.cake

Although you didn't manage that this year despite dominating us, hence losing out on a home semi that ultimately lost you the league? Very Happy

Too soon? Hug

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 15 May 2013, 2:02 pm

Laugh

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 15 May 2013, 2:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Icing. Cake.cake

Although you didn't manage that this year despite dominating us, hence losing out on a home semi that ultimately lost you the league? Very Happy

Too soon? Hug

Much too soon! furious

Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 15 May 2013, 2:08 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Is that ASBO!!? I think he does some street cleaning once he's done painting the lines on the road.....

Feic you, took a lot of work to adapt that Dyson I found on the tip to paint a straight line mad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 15 May 2013, 2:08 pm

As a Glaswegian I have a fondness for Edinburgh, the city.

It's biggest problem is that it is full of Scottish people who want to be English and English people who want to be Scottish.

Oh and also people who thing it is OK to wear maroon corduroys

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 15 May 2013, 2:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Icing. Cake.cake

Too soon? Hug
clap
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 15 May 2013, 2:10 pm

king

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 15 May 2013, 2:10 pm

cakeordeath wrote:As a Glaswegian I have a fondness for Edinburgh, the city.

It's biggest problem is that it is full of Scottish people who want to be English and English people who want to be Scottish.

Oh and also people who thing it is OK to wear maroon corduroys

Laugh You've met fES then?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 15 May 2013, 2:13 pm

It's golden or green corduroys for me. Any other colour just looks silly.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by caz Wed 15 May 2013, 2:16 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Icing. Cake.cake

Too soon? Hug

Too many mistakes this year cost us. I'm proud of the spirit shown at the end of the season and hope that carries on into the start of next year.

caz

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 May 2013, 9:00 am

George Carlin wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:What would be your verdict on Toonie, GC, in his first year in charge?
To be honest Asbo, I can't work out whether Glasgow did well despite him or because of him.

A lot of the blue chip signings that we had were actually decided before he arrived, although the one that I know he was directly responsible for was Niko Matawalu. And we know how that turned out. Very Happy So to what extent can we give credit for the make-up of the team? In terms of tactical nous, what is clear is that Toonie is a much better selector for Glasgow than Robinson was for Scotland and it is also true that he is not afraid to try players out. Giving Alex Dunbar time to develop in the centres was critical and he was smart enough to tempt Mark Bennett back during an injury window.

Where I have to give Toonie credit is creating an atmosphere that the players want to continue to play in - evidenced by the astonishing feat of re-signing almost the entire team for next season. This is tempered by the fact the move to Scotstoun had already been booked before Toonie arrived. Always easier to create a collegiate environment in a smaller, purpose built, brand new and excellent facility.

So he's done fine. How Glasgow gets on next season will determine how much of this season's success is down to him as manager and how much was actually attributable to the legacy of Sean Lineen.

ASBO - this piece from Mr Reid in the Herald provides another view on your question.

I am definitely going to refer to Niko as the Weegie from Fiji from now on Laugh :

Warriors' spirit comes shining through
Wednesday 15 May 2013

Glasgow Warriors, their preparations for the season disrupted by an unforeseen (and to many unjustifiable) coaching change, were destined to fail. It was written in the runes that their season would be a disaster.

Well that was then. Barely 12 months on, the reality is that the Warriors are riding as high as they ever have in the professional era, at least in terms of the RaboDirect PRO12. For the third time in four seasons, they reached the play-off stage and, while their latest trip to the semi-finals ended in another defeat, most observers considered them unlucky to go down 17-15 to Leinster in Dublin last Saturday.

Others suggest that Glasgow could be the team to watch next season. Their logic is persuasive. Warriors have an enviable blend of youth and experience, they have resources that can sustain them through periods when their Scotland stars are unavailable, and they have X-factor players who can turn games around.

They are on the up at a time when many of their PRO12 rivals look more likely to be going in the opposite direction. Clubs in Wales are suffering a financial squeeze and shedding top players, while a host of top Irish players are now in the evenings of their careers. Of the British and Irish sides, only Glasgow and Ulster look likely to be as strong next season as they have been in the campaign just ending.

So how have Glasgow done it? How did they turn a season perhaps destined for disaster into one that was achingly close to a triumph? Where did it all go right?

THE WEEGIE FROM FIJI
It is a rare thing in rugby's modern age for one player to make a hugely significant difference to a team, but Niko Matawalu has that precious ability. The Fijian scrum-half may be guilty of the odd rush of blood at times – those episodes are typically followed by a stern finger-wagging from the captain Al Kellock – but his electrifying brilliance at close quarters has energised Glasgow and brought some crucial scores.

Glasgow's success in the wide channels has been due, in no small part, to the fact that Matawalu concentrates defenders' minds so much around the fringes of the rucks and mauls. In a short space of time, he has become the most crucial player in the team, the man who makes the Warriors tick. Persuading him to extend his contract to 2015 may be the best piece of business the club has done.

NO PLACE LIKE HOME
Until this season, there had been a decidedly itinerant atmosphere around the Warriors as they shuffled around the city: training here, doing weights there, playing somewhere else. Hughenden and Firhill had their charms, but there was no feeling of permanence, no sense that either ground was home to the side. And their opponents knew it.

Now, Scotstoun is one of those grounds that strikes fear into other sides. It errs on the side of cosy, but there is a marvellously febrile atmosphere in the ground when Glasgow get their tails up. How Edinburgh, still rattling around in the soulless and cavernous surroundings of Murrayfield, must envy the advantage Glasgow enjoy at their wonderfully atmospheric stadium.

TOONIE ARMY
Gregor Townsend was written off as a flake in some quarters when he was controversially appointed to take over from Sean Lineen. He was viewd by many as an airy-fairy rugby idealist who lacked the nous and hard-nosed pragmatism to lead a side through the bump-and-grind of a long and arduous season. Yet, over the past nine months, the former Lions fly-half has shown himself to be a smart analyst, a clever tactician and a powerful motivator. No surprise that he was named Coach of the Year in the recent RaboDirect PRO12 awards.

That a Townsend side would play adventurous, attack-minded rugby was to be expected. However, the coach has earned respect as much for his honest appraisals and assessments when other sides have exposed weaknesses in the Warriors' game. "We knew how good Gregor was," said Al Kellock recently. "A lot of us had worked with him already. The controversy came from outside."

REINFORCING THE POINT
In seasons past, Glasgow have been able to field some pretty strong sides. However, beyond their first-choice XV, their resources have typically been perilously thin. When their top players were away on Scotland duty during the November and RBS 6 Nations Test windows, their performance levels and their results dipped badly.

Now, though, their expanded squad means there are quality players to cover every position. Neither Niko Matawalu nor Josh Strauss is in the frame for Scotland selection anyway, so their focus is entirely on Glasgow. When Stuart Hogg suffered the ankle injury that kept him out for the first few weeks of the season, Pete Murchie stepped up to the plate brilliantly. With added depth comes added competition for places and the Warriors have reaped the benefits.

TRY, TRY AND TRY AGAIN
Glasgow made themselves very difficult to beat last season. Their defensive record in the PRO12 was outstanding; they conceded fewer points than any other team in the league. Only Ospreys, the eventual champions, let in fewer tries than the Warriors.

However, things did not look so great at the other end of the pitch. Over the course of the Rabo season, they scored just 34 tries and collected a measly two try-bonus points.

This season, the numbers have been radically different. With a more positive mindset, they scored 66 tries and gained try bonus points on nine occasions. They all but blew Ulster, Munster and Ospreys off the Scotstoun pitch with their bold strategies. The first-choice back three of Stuart Hogg, Sean Maitland and DTH Van der Merwe is without equal in the competition.

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 May 2013, 9:03 am

Weegie from Fiji - how has it taken so long for someone to think of that?!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 16 May 2013, 9:32 am

I was about to protest at the generalisations about us, but then I remembered that I saw a guy on the train yesterday with slicked back patrick bateman hair, a popped collar shirt under a pleated wooly jumper, skinny jean short longs (I didnt even know these existed) and pointy toed leather shoes. There were also a group of female students who I vaguely recognise from the more upmarket part of my hometown drinking champagne and loudly telling everyone how rarely they use public transport.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 May 2013, 9:35 am

A pharmacy was held up at knife point on the Royal Mile yesterday - must have been some weegies on vacation!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 May 2013, 9:55 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:I was about to protest at the generalisations about us, but then I remembered that I saw a guy on the train yesterday with slicked back patrick bateman hair, a popped collar shirt under a pleated wooly jumper, skinny jean short longs (I didnt even know these existed) and pointy toed leather shoes. There were also a group of female students who I vaguely recognise from the more upmarket part of my hometown drinking champagne and loudly telling everyone how rarely they use public transport.

Was your driver off sick?

Laugh

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 May 2013, 10:00 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:I was about to protest at the generalisations about us, but then I remembered that I saw a guy on the train yesterday with slicked back patrick bateman hair, a popped collar shirt under a pleated wooly jumper, skinny jean short longs (I didnt even know these existed) and pointy toed leather shoes. There were also a group of female students who I vaguely recognise from the more upmarket part of my hometown drinking champagne and loudly telling everyone how rarely they use public transport.
That kind of thing really ruins your enjoyment of the first class carriage.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 16 May 2013, 10:07 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Laugh

Unfortunately so. His brothers funeral, something along those lines. Threw my whole schedule into disarray. I had to reschedule elevenses for 11.30!
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 May 2013, 10:14 am

I love it how often anyone from Glasgow I speak to makes it out like they are working class warriors whose dads worked in the shipyards playing football with Billy Connolly in his youth, whereas in actual fact they have a nice flat in the West end and like to go on Ski holidays in the winter! Run

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 May 2013, 10:26 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Laugh

Unfortunately so. His brothers funeral, something along those lines. Threw my whole schedule into disarray. I had to reschedule elevenses for 11.30!
Did he come back with a huge bag, marked 'Boots The Chemist - Royal Mile' and big Very Happy on his face?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 16 May 2013, 10:36 am

George Carlin wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Laugh

Did he come back with a huge bag, marked 'Boots The Chemist - Royal Mile' and big Very Happy on his face?
Heavens no! He may be of common stock, but I would never allow an employee to frequent a national chain. They must remember that they are representing me at all times, and so I do my utmost to instill a sense of self-improvement in them from their first day of employment onwards. Nay! He only purchases from the finest independant establishments in Stockbridge.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 16 May 2013, 10:37 am

After all, what would my chums at the grand lodge say if they heard that my driver had been shopping at Boots?! Very Happy
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 May 2013, 10:40 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Laugh

Heavens no! He may be of common stock, but I would never allow an employee to frequent a national chain. They must remember that they are representing me at all times, and so I do my utmost to instill a sense of self-improvement in them from their first day of employment onwards. Nay! He only purchases from the finest independant establishments in Stockbridge.
Laugh IBD - I used to wonder why you had a picture of Boris Johnson as your icon. Now I know.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 May 2013, 10:40 am

Imperialbigdave wrote:After all, what would my chums at the grand lodge say if they heard that my driver had been shopping at Boots?! Very Happy

Well, for starters they'd still be smarting about the fact you gave your driver time off to attend his brothers funeral. Shame on you. This creates a dangerous precedent.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 16 May 2013, 10:48 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Imperialbigdave wrote:After all, what would my chums at the grand lodge say if they heard that my driver had been shopping at Boots?! Very Happy

Well, for starters they'd still be smarting about the fact you gave your driver time off to attend his brothers funeral. Shame on you. This creates a dangerous precedent.

I hope you at least docked his pay for a day. Don't want the other drivers getting ideas.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 16 May 2013, 11:43 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I hope you at least docked his pay for a day. Don't want the other drivers getting ideas.

Of course it sets a dangerous precedent, but youve got to maintain the morale of the working man in order to keep the spirit of old blighty alive and well.

As for his pay, I give him free bed and board in the servants quarters, have taken his eldest son as my ward and packed him off to boarding school in Dorset. He would have ruddy cheek to ask for a wage over and above that! This country is becoming a nanny state I tell you, its all take, take take, and give nothing back. Next they'll want the vote...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 May 2013, 12:15 pm

This thread has become more batsh!t than Charlie Sheen on new year's eve. picard

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 May 2013, 3:02 pm

Right, getting back on to rugby I’m going to make a venture onto reviewing Edinburgh’s season!

Target at the start of the season

Top 4 finish
HK QF
Win 1872 cup

Expectation

Top half of league
Win HK home games
Win 1872 cup

Reality

3rd bottom of league
Lost all HK games (0 points twice)
Lost both 1872 legs with a whimper.

Players leaving at the end of the season – Talei, Titterall, Sepp Visser, Penn (who?), Rees, Chunk, King, Houston, Cairns (hopefully temporarily).

Coaches sacked – all of the shower of idiots

Where to begin? The best decision I ever made in my life was around June / July when I decided I wouldn’t get a season ticket. Although I have been to a lot of games this year, having a season ticket would have forced me to go to a lot more, and I would have been put through more misery.

Quite simply we have been woeful. Yes we didn’t play well in the league last year, but we could at least raise our performance for the HK games – if anything we were worse in the HK last year. What was most alarming is that we lost our identity as a team – in previous seasons Edinburgh have had their style of play which, rightly or wrongly, was what we aimed for every week. Powerful ball carriers getting over the gainline, quick ball, ship it wide. I had no idea what Edinburgh’s tactics were this year – and I’m pretty sure the players didn’t know either.

This has been discussed on here before but again for me the season was doomed due to the pre season, mass player rotation at the start and some players suddenly thinking they were a lot better than they were. Indeed the only Scottish players this year to come away with any credit this season, and look like they have improved, is Scott, Laidlaw, Tonks and Fife. Visser, Denton, Ford, Cross, Brown etc have either stagnated or gone backwards – this isn’t good enough.

So what for next season? We desperately need a good pre-season and to hit the new season with the group running. Stick with the team for the first few games, even if it means Scottish players missing out for a while.

Signings

Signings so far are a 35 year old Tongan hooker and Ali Dickinson. We are in desperate need of a ball carrying 8 to replace Talei. We are also dangerously short staffed in the centres and wings. Our first XV is just about passable, but the cupboard is looking pretty bare after that in some position.

Team for next season

Dependant on signings I still think we have a decent first XV, they just need the right coaching, game plan and attitude. The following XV on paper should be capable of a top 6 finish and to win some HK games (and win the bloody 1872!!!):

1 Dickinson
2 Ford
3 Nel
4 Gilchrist
5 VDV
6 Basalaia
7 Rennie
8 Denton
9 Laidlaw
10 Francis (improved massively at the end of the season – Leonard and Hunter have stagnated, although not helped by lack ofopportunities)
11 Visser
12 Scott
13 De Uselss
14 Fife
15 Tonks

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 May 2013, 3:05 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Where to begin? The best decision I ever made in my life was around June / July when I decided I wouldn’t get a season ticket. Although I have been to a lot of games this year, having a season ticket would have forced me to go to a lot more, and I would have been put through more misery.

Yeh yeh, rub it in why don't you!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 May 2013, 3:10 pm

I should also add that I completely agree with your team, with only three question marks:

1. Due to not having seen VDW play for more than 5 minutes, I wouldn't presume that he'll oust Cox just yet.

2. I'd rather Leonard start ahead of Francis, but let's be honest, neither set the heather on fire. I see Leonard as the long term prospect though, and would like to see him given an extended run to prove himself, with Francis and Hunter in reserve.

3. I think your 13 and 14 decision is probably correct, but as an alternative I wonder whether we'll see Fife moved to 13 and Nikki Walker starting on the right wing. Walker would give us that aggressive ball carrying option in the backline. Again, I suspect Nick De Luca will be given a chance to prove form at the start of next season having had the summer off, but I certainly think Walker has been signed to be more than cover. He's a powerful weapon if used properly.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 16 May 2013, 3:14 pm

FES, RDW, other acronymed Edinburgh supporters - where do we really need to recruit new blood (apart from the head coach) and what signings will Edinburgh realistically make.

I did note Heathcote say he was sticking with Barf.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 May 2013, 3:33 pm

GC:

LH – Chunk out, Dickinson in – Yapp and Hislop / Allan backup. Don’t need anyone

Hooker – Titterall out, Tongan old guy in – Ford first choice (if he’s staying) with Lawrie and Walker backrup. If Ford stays we won’t need anyone.

Tighthead – no one leaving. Nel and Cross fighting it out with Niven and Alex Allan backup. A little short of quality here, especially when Cross is away and we rely on Nel.

2nd row – abundance of players, problem is not all of them are overly good. Gilchrist is the standout, with Cox, PJP, VDV, McAlpine, and Turnbell all fighting it out for the other spot. High hopes for Isaak VDV but we’ve not seen much of him. Plenty players so can’t justify signing anymore.

6 / 8 – Basalaia, Denton and McInally fighting it out for 6 and 8 – very short on resources after that. Desperately need at least one more.

7 – Rennie, Grant, Watson.. Plenty options here.

9 – Laidlaw start with Kennedy and Leck backup. No need for anyone else.

10 – Francis, Leonard and Hunter – all about the same level, no stand out player. Ideally a good 10 would sign but would they be any better than what we’ve got and worst pushing more Scots down the pecking order?

Wing – Visser and Fife standouts, with Jones, Farndale Tom Brown in reserve. Could do with another good winger.

Centre – we only have Scott, De Luca and Atiga. Desperately short.

FB – Tonks starter with Brown in reserve. Again a little short.

So my ideal signing would be Matt Taylor – he looks a big strong runner and would solve a lot of problems for us covering centre and wing. If we can fill the gaps at 3, 6/8, 10, 11/14 12/13 and 15 then I think we’ll have a decent squad!!!

Not much of a shopping list then!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 May 2013, 3:41 pm

I think the key must be quality. If we can't sign a serious international class player then don't sign one at all. We have just about enough cover to cope in pretty much all positions, so no more journeymen please. If a top quality international player cannot be signed, then we need a young Scot for the role, not a stop-gap. It's why I don't like the Lutui signing.

Priorities must be at 6 and/or 8. We need either a specialist tree-cutter at 6, or a big carrier at 8. Letting Talei leave is looking increasingly dumb. Regardless, we should get McIver on board for next season.

I'd also like a quality centre to come in, but rather than yet another journeyman, I'd like Robbie Ferguson to be given a chance.

RDW - you keep forgetting Nikki Walker, and remember that Fife is as much a 13 as he is a winger.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 May 2013, 4:06 pm

How could I forget Walker?? Our problems are solved!

Yeah Fife can cover 13 too but I think he’s more of a winger. Even considering him we’re still short in the centre!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 May 2013, 4:20 pm

I do agree about the issues at centre, it would help hugely to have a fully fit and firing Ben Cairns back in contention at 13, and I wonder if we were a little swift to let King go.

As above, I'd like Robbie Ferguson moved into the squad as an option, but I agree that Duncan Taylor would be a good signing for us. Scottish, powerful and young. However, if he's half as good as IBD says he is, he's likely to be the star of the show at Sarries next season, or at least start a few more games, so like Heathcote he may feel he'll better develop elsewhere. I have some sympathy for that.

In terms of a stop gap, someone like Tim Molenaar might be handy cover, but really that's what Ben Atiga is there for. There must be some big strong centres out there in Scottish rugby - Graeme Morrison??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 16 May 2013, 4:30 pm

Can't really add anymore to what has been said, I do think Cox is really underrated and IMO has probably been one of Edinburgh's better players this season.

What is needed is a game plan to suit the type of players we have, basicly the plan we had in place before Bradley made a mess of everything.

Onto Walker, yeah sure he is a potent weapon if used well, but is way too similar to Visser IMO, but not as fast or powerful when carrying the ball, hence I can't see him being much more than cover.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Thu 16 May 2013, 4:32 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I do agree about the issues at centre, it would help hugely to have a fully fit and firing Ben Cairns back in contention at 13, and I wonder if we were a little swift to let King go.

As above, I'd like Robbie Ferguson moved into the squad as an option, but I agree that Duncan Taylor would be a good signing for us. Scottish, powerful and young. However, if he's half as good as IBD says he is, he's likely to be the star of the show at Sarries next season, or at least start a few more games, so like Heathcote he may feel he'll better develop elsewhere. I have some sympathy for that.

In terms of a stop gap, someone like Tim Molenaar might be handy cover, but really that's what Ben Atiga is there for. There must be some big strong centres out there in Scottish rugby - Graeme Morrison??

Hes better than half. Id say two thirds better.

With Saili getting the call ahead of Freuen, his all black dreams must surely be over. The Kiwis have lost Kahui, Ellison, SBW, and are about to lose Ranger. Nonu's out of form, Crottys a good club player, nothing more, Batemans a fly half playing centre and if he ever gets capped thats where itll be, Aki and Saili are raw, and Ben smiths being played at fullback, and Freuen STILL hasnt been called up. Hes surely going to opt for someone else now, and when he does, he'll get shown the door at the sadists. If we were on the ball (which we wont be), we'd make a move for him. Not an international, and certainly a flawed player, but he could be something special if given licence to do what he does at Crusaders.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 May 2013, 4:41 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Onto Walker, yeah sure he is a potent weapon if used well, but is way too similar to Visser IMO, but not as fast or powerful when carrying the ball, hence I can't see him being much more than cover.

I wouldn't describe Visser as particularly powerful - too many times this season I've seen him run into contact and see the ball squirt out of his hands.

True, Walker isn't as fast or as good a finisher, but he's better and more aggressive at taking the ball into contact, and is far keener to get his hands on the ball and hit the line than Visser. Visser much prefers to stay on the wing, as it's one on one and in space that he thrives.

I actually think Walker is going to turn out a very handy signing for Edinburgh. Similarly Ali Dickinson. There - I've ruined both their careers.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 16 May 2013, 4:56 pm

I think Laidlaw has done well for Scotland, which is what I was basing it on. OK I agree he’s not been at his best for Edinburgh, but here’s hoping now that he’s got a single position to concentrate on he can settle down and improve there.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 16 May 2013, 5:02 pm

Agreed on Laidlaw, in an Edinburgh jersey he's not been particularly good this season. His kicking has been fine, but his speed and accuracy of service haven't been top notch. He needs to now stick at 9 and get his basics back up to scratch. It's not really his fault, he has been messed about in terms of positions, but he now needs to stick at 9 and let Leonard take the role at 10.

For Scotland he was better, but I personally felt he kicked away too much ball. Playing to order possibly, and his kicking wasn't badly executed, but I didn't think the gameplan played to our strengths particularly. Outstanding goal kicking though.

We need him at Edinburgh, he's a leader and a superb goal kicker, but he needs to get the ball away from the ruck area faster. If he doesn't, then we'll see more and more of Kennedy coming off the bench to sharpen things up.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next