The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Ford moves to Sharks

+3
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
aitchw
7 posters

Go down

Joe Ford moves to Sharks Empty Joe Ford moves to Sharks

Post by aitchw Mon 13 May 2013, 12:01

Very disappointed that he's leaving us and fearful it's not going to be the last of our players to go. It's a massive problem for Championship sides trying to develop and hang on to talent needed to challenge for promotion and be competitive if successful. I know it's just a fact of life but it doesn't make it any easier.

Also, where does that leave Sharks' present 10s? Is someone on his way out? Cips maybe, hasn't exactly set the world on fire.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Joe Ford moves to Sharks Empty Re: Joe Ford moves to Sharks

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 13 May 2013, 13:26

Good for Sale. Hopefully he settles. Shame for Leeds who have put the time in with him since he was messed about by Saints (and before I think?). Is he to replace Bell as their project 10 or is he further along than that?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 13 May 2013, 13:40

At 22 and with a wealth of experience gathered in his two spells at Leeds I'd have thought he would be targeting the 10 shirt. He is similar in style to McLeod so maybe he is off back to Wales? Steve Diamond likes young and hungry players so Ford fits there. Will Cipriani move back to fullback or do Sale just want 3 10s on the books?

Leeds have shown off some talented players this season, bound to be Premiership sharks circling.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 13 May 2013, 14:39

It can't be long before someone nicks Barrow too.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Mon 13 May 2013, 14:49

With another season under their belts there's probably 5 or 6 who will be an attractive proposition but I think it'll be next season we really go for promotion and that might stem the flow. Or am I just clutching at staws?

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 13 May 2013, 15:49

Hope he does well at Sale and kicks on. Was supposed to be popular around Franklin Gardens but the view was that he kicked way too much ball away for the second 15 to be given a chance for the firsts and in the end his place came under pressure from a couple of academy lads as he lost confidence.

On the other hand JM and DW were at that time very reluctant to entrust younger players with first team games. T'was the season we reached the HK final with just about the same 25 players (hence the drop in form for Tiny, Hartley & Mooj the following season).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 14 May 2013, 08:44

I'm still amazed no one has snapped up/poached Jacob Rowan. For me he is the outstanding 7 of the Championship, which when you have the likes of Welch and Burgess as competition is no mean feet.

I am delighted that Glaws have signed Kvesic, who is probably faster than Rowan, but I'd have gladly had Rowan join if Kvesic wasn't available.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 14 May 2013, 08:52

Can only be a matter of time HKC. Then again maybe Rowan is choosing to stay at Leeds and get himself plentiful game time so when he does move It's straight to the first team rather than straight to the A team as often happens when young Championship players move to the AP.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Tue 14 May 2013, 10:16

Geech has said that there's a 3 year plan in place intended to see us back in the top flight in a sustainable way. I guess we're a year into that. My hope is that there's a deal in place to build around a few key players, Jake Rowan and Dom Barrow in perticular. I'm sure Joe Ford was part of that and the club has said they thought they had secured his participation and are very disappointed that he's left. I hope he doesn't find himself on the sidelines because playing all the time for a good Championship side is a better development route than getting limited game time or being loaned out with a Prem side. I'm sure we will find a replacement but decent 10s are thin on the ground and take time to develop so it's a set back for sure.

Whatever, life goes on and resilience is a key component in any sporting set up. We'll have to wait and see if any more leave.

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 14 May 2013, 10:45

Its really hard for championship clubs, it seems to me if you manage to assemble a strong team (from both signings and youngsters stepping up), you have 1 shot, or maybe 2 max. before your players are taken.

Using Bristol as an example, they have recruited heavily and are clearly targetting promotion. If they fall at the final hurdle, the chances are any decent youngsters will be snapped up.

Or in Leeds' case, there may well be a 3 year plan, but the likes of Rowan and Barrow are going to get calls and if they think they are going to get 1st team premiership rugby before the 3 year period is up, it may be hard to keep them.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 14 May 2013, 11:04

I thought Leeds had already signed a former Saints 10 from somewhere like Mosley for next season?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Tue 14 May 2013, 11:28

Yep, a lad called Glyn Highes from Moseley. According to their website he was dual registered with Saints and there's no indication if that is continuing, I hope not He's just 21 but I don't know much else about him. He's coming on a 2 year contract which will give him time to settle in and develop a bit. We had Rory Clegg on a loan/dual registration but I don't know if that is continuing for another season.

Last edited by aitchw on Tue 14 May 2013, 11:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Info added.)

aitchw

Back to top Go down

Post by EggChaser Thu 23 May 2013, 14:57

Always chuckle when I read about the "highly rated" Joe Ford. Can tell you be wasn't messed about by Saints, he had opportunities but wasn't good enough to threaten the first 15. Eventually lost his place on the A team ironically to the lad signed by Leeds a few weeks ago. No real strengths to his game other than the boot. When that misfires he has nothing else to offer. Also an absolute non tackler in defence. Truth is he couldn't make 1st team bench until Cleggy's selection became untenable with his Falcons connection. Can't believe he's gone to be anything other than third choice at Sale. Leeds coach wants a 10 to ignite the backline and clearly JF doesn't tick the box. New lad coming in Glyn Hughes is a much more rounded player IMHO. Was excellent at Saints and left to get meaningful game time. Many at FG hoped he would return this season but it didn't happen. Maybe sometime in the future.i

EggChaser

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down