The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Squad Bonding

+38
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
kingjohn7
thebluesmancometh
Pal Joey
Cyril
Knowsit17
red_stag
Sin é
jimmyinthewell68
fa0019
RuggerRadge2611
lostinwales
The Gramlin
alive555
bedfordwelsh
SecretFly
rodders
Breadvan
R!skysports
Biltong
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
broadlandboy
t1000advancedprototype
Hound of Harrow
100%beefy
XR
Tramptastic
kiakahaaotearoa
Gretgael1
offload
maestegmafia
funnyExiledScot
RDW
dragonbreath
Bathman_in_London
RubyGuby
Luckless Pedestrian
42 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Lions Squad Bonding Empty Lions Squad Bonding

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed May 15, 2013 5:23 pm

There are a couple of great articles on the BBC website about how previous Lions squads have gone about building a real sense of unity before flying off on tour:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22500959

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22528441

What are your feelings on the subject? Would you recommend anything that hasn't been suggested?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Lions Squad Bonding Empty Re: Lions Squad Bonding

Post by RubyGuby Wed May 15, 2013 6:41 pm

These things should be kept relatively straight forward as they risk being corny and awkward - The bonding will occur relatively naturally and spontaeously. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed May 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Frankly a complete booze up in Hong Kong would be my recommendation or the same in Macau.

Possibly more suitable for the Old Woodlians vets team than the Lions of course.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 15, 2013 8:07 pm

Definitely agree on the booze up. As these players say, it is the best way in their eyes. Making songs and doing art is just cringeworthy. Get a couple of ales in and have a chat. Much better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed May 15, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm sure they'll go for a few drinks early on. Those that don't want to drink don't have to.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 pm

I think most of us have had to endure one of these team building farces at some point. The only way they create team cohesion is that everyone is united in thinking "what is this Love sacks?".

Hey maybe thats the point

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Just reading Shane Williams' take on the team building tasks. He said that in 2005 they had to get up and perform sketches from a TV show in front of everyone. He says it was so daunting having to do that in front of players that you were in awe of. I can totally understand that - can you imagine being a young player and having to get up and do something silly like that in front of the stony faced Martin Johnson and Lawrence Dallaglio. I'd want to run a mile!

It comes down to personality - some of us are extroverts and some are more introverted. Same for rugby players. Forcing them to be extroverts in an attempt to bond is not great!

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed May 15, 2013 8:35 pm

I’m concerned this Lions tour is lacking some good banter – there’s a lack of great characters compared to the last tour!

In 09 we had Andy Powell, DoC, Euan Murray, Hines, Ugo etc. – this years lot all seem a bit boring!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 pm

For a laugh they should paint themselves orange, wear white boots and as much hair gel as possible....oh, hang on.....

Agree with Griff - these things can become a bit tortured if you over do it, and what works for some won't work for others. The key is to create an environment that doesn't allow cliques to form. That means plenty of open events, mixing up the rooms etc. and making sure the players mix about at meal times. Little things like that can make a big difference. Find out in advance which of the players know eachother the least, and get them together. Unity is key.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed May 15, 2013 9:30 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I’m concerned this Lions tour is lacking some good banter – there’s a lack of great characters compared to the last tour!

In 09 we had Andy Powell, DoC, Euan Murray, Hines, Ugo etc. – this years lot all seem a bit boring!

Adam Jones is a hell of a boy, great sense of humour and very well liked by players and fans alike for his charisma.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Character's always emerge on tour - sometimes the most unlikely will shine.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed May 15, 2013 9:58 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I’m concerned this Lions tour is lacking some good banter – there’s a lack of great characters compared to the last tour!

Adam Jones is a hell of a boy, great sense of humour and very well liked by players and fans alike for his charisma.

I met Adam Jones after a Munster game a couple of years ago, got chatting to him and he was a great guy, a very likable sort Hug

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed May 15, 2013 10:04 pm

I always find some soft candlelight and well chosen music is good for bonding.

But when it comes to rugby mates, sinking a few pints and talking nonsense is the best way to go. The more forced you make these things, the less likely you are to forge a strong team spirit. People don't know one another. Just talk to them then. You don't need an arts and crafts competition or a fancy dress party or theatre sports. They're rugby players. Keep it simple but do it well. Just like playing rugby.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed May 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Put them in a life or death situation where to survive they have to work together... Should make friends quick! I'd recommend sending them to spend a week in Leith and see if they come out of it alive

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed May 15, 2013 10:18 pm

DOC on the 09 tour was amazing, he cracks me up on the DVD. When Hines is pulling names out of the hat to decide who rooms with each other and he pulls out Andy Powell's name, all you can here before the laughter is DOC "The Mothership!"

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu May 16, 2013 8:51 am

rugby was invented as an accompaniment to beer which in turn was invented as an hors d' ouvres for curry.....get them all down the local balti house for nan jousting and bahji blow football job done

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 am

Adam Jones has urged his Welsh team mates to bond with the other players, and not to form cliques.

I don't know what to make of that comment.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Thu May 16, 2013 9:28 am

from a tight head prop it means this

'bond with the other players and don't form cliques except during scrummaging practise'

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 am

He kind of felt that the Welsh guys might go into their shells a bit, if I read it right.

There didn't seem to be any problems on the 2009 tour with anyone from what I could make out. Hence me not understanding why AJ has made the comment.

Anyhow, let's hope we can get an overdue series win.

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Thu May 16, 2013 9:47 am

Who will be the tour comedian?

Andy Powell reached legendary status in 09.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Thu May 16, 2013 10:09 am

My money is on Lendrid,unintentionally of course

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu May 16, 2013 3:58 pm

broadlandboy wrote:My money is on Lendrid,unintentionally of course

Who is 'Lendrid' - is he the "bolter"?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu May 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Just let them go white water rafting, bungi jumping etc

A good old fashioned BBQ and let their hair down.

Pretty much works for any testosterone filled male
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Thu May 16, 2013 5:14 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
broadlandboy wrote:My money is on Lendrid,unintentionally of course

Who is 'Lendrid' - is he the "bolter"?

Ben Youngs. Thuck as fick apparently. Not quite as intelligent as dumbo inbred valleyboy Jamie Roberts.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu May 16, 2013 5:20 pm

Must read titles slower

First read

Lions Squad Bondage Shocked

Although, that might be a ice breaker - although I do worry for Hogg though, as the youngest squad member

How about a round of Fuzzy Duck

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 16, 2013 6:03 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:He kind of felt that the Welsh guys might go into their shells a bit, if I read it right.

There didn't seem to be any problems on the 2009 tour with anyone from what I could make out. Hence me not understanding why AJ has made the comment.

Anyhow, let's hope we can get an overdue series win.

Hound, my guess is that he was asked specifically about cliques and how they should guard against them developing. As you say, there was no problem on the last tour (his only previous tour), so it's not as though he's worrying about it happening again.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu May 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Riskysports wrote:Must read titles slower

First read

Although, that might be a ice breaker - although I do worry for Hogg though, as the youngest squad member

Laugh Yep, some good old fashioned messdeck games should break the ice and get a good bond going. Spoof, spoons etc..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu May 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:Adam Jones has urged his Welsh team mates to bond with the other players, and not to form cliques.

There are clear signs already how poor a captain Sam is and will be. Captaining Wales is one thing but being tour captain in a squad full of big players from all the home nations is another and how players bond in large part comes down to the captain. He's already made a few freudian slips about Wales and doesn't seem to understand the responsibilities that come as a Lions captain.

BOD and POC have been selected to hold his hand, not to play in the tests and I see this shaping up to be a very unhappy tour already.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu May 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Opera, wine and cheese is he only way.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 16, 2013 6:24 pm

rodders wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:Adam Jones has urged his Welsh team mates to bond with the other players, and not to form cliques.

There are clear signs already how poor a captain Sam is and will be. Captaining Wales is one thing but being tour captain in a squad full of big players from all the home nations is another and how players bond in large part comes down to the captain. He's already made a few freudian slips about Wales and doesn't seem to understand the responsibilities that come as a Lions captain.

BOD and POC have been selected to hold his hand, not to play in the tests and I see this shaping up to be a very unhappy tour already.

Warburton's current roommate is Paul O'Connell. No doubt you see that as a bad thing.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu May 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Have to say it will be difficult for the Welsh to ensure it doesn’t look like they are just sticking with each other – there are 15 Welsh to 7 others just now, 2 Welshman to every man!

Great so see pictures on Facebook and Twitter of what is going on – Hogg looks like he is having the time of his life. Feel sorry for the family that had to feed Adam Jones!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu May 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
rodders wrote:

Warburton's current roommate is Paul O'Connell. No doubt you see that as a bad thing.

Paulie is married. No need for slander. He'll sleep on the floor. Wink

Plus............................... some of you guys go to great lengths in this Lion's watching jaunt. Where does the rooming info come from...and how many of you guys seek such info out?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Sorry to disappoint you, Fly, but they interviewed Warburton on Wales Today and he said he was currently rooming with POC.

My peeping Tom days are behind me. Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu May 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Breadvan wrote:
Riskysports wrote:Must read titles slower

First read

Laugh Yep, some good old fashioned messdeck games should break the ice and get a good bond going. Spoof, spoons etc..

Fuzzy duck, now theres a blast from the past, as for spoof well cant really remember a lot after playing that ever vomit
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu May 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Now spoof is a good game, hours of fun there. Used to always play fives at uni which was the same kind of thing.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu May 16, 2013 6:40 pm

Spoof is a dangeorus game though over the years I have spoofed for many things Doh
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16, 2013 6:47 pm

rodders wrote:

What a Jackass comment. Sounds like you want him to do badly before a ball has even been kicked. Can you tell me the lottery numbers too, Mr Oracle of Ireland?

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu May 16, 2013 6:53 pm

I always remember I was very bad at it, probably because I was severly RedWine The morning after, looking at your bar tab was always " F censored ng HOW MUCH!"

Laugh
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 16, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm not sure getting mullered is the right way to go, a few drinks with dinner, and maybe an hour or 2 socialising at the bar after is one thing, sitting around getting smashed is a whole different ball game, and there are a number of players who won't touch a drop of alcohol anyway, including the captian...

Which begs the question, if POC, Jones, Stevens etc are all sat around drinking, at what point exactly does the captain have a word?

Also for every good experience players can have while drinking there is evidence of plenty bad ones through O's players, Phillips, Tuilagi, Stevens etc... It only takes one bad word to staff, one silly act and the tour starts on a very sour note!!!

IMHO the best way to bond is through down time, give the players a full hour for breakfast and meals, set their seating plans to mix, get them supplementing with different groups, physio with different nations etc... it's about regular contact with players you don't know, little things, not this one great big get together mash up.

I'm sure we all know that when your out with a full squad you see little of certain players, you have a crack with those you know and like, it's when your in smaller groups or 1 to 1's you bond far better, such as rooming with someone, meeting the same guys at the physio queue, sitting next to the guys during meals.

Warren Gatland will be weary of any bad publicity before he leaves these shores, as he will be expecting the Aus journo's to be gunning for them, the trick is to do what he did with Wales at the world cup, keep them focus'd but also very relaxed, and draw upon the positives of SA 2009!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu May 16, 2013 6:56 pm

14, 28, 22, 16, 34, 21 and the bonus number 2

Rodders told me to give you those. He's too busy right now doing a spiritual Gypsy dance of failure over a photo of Warburton...

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu May 16, 2013 6:59 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I'm not sure getting mullered is the right way to go, a few drinks with dinner, and maybe an hour or 2 socialising at the bar after is one thing, sitting around getting smashed is a whole different ball game, and there are a number of players who won't touch a drop of alcohol anyway, including the captian...

Which begs the question, if POC, Jones, Stevens etc are all sat around drinking, at what point exactly does the captain have a word?

Also for every good experience players can have while drinking there is evidence of plenty bad ones through O's players, Phillips, Tuilagi, Stevens etc... It only takes one bad word to staff, one silly act and the tour starts on a very sour note!!!

IMHO the best way to bond is through down time, give the players a full hour for breakfast and meals, set their seating plans to mix, get them supplementing with different groups, physio with different nations etc... it's about regular contact with players you don't know, little things, not this one great big get together mash up.

I'm sure we all know that when your out with a full squad you see little of certain players, you have a crack with those you know and like, it's when your in smaller groups or 1 to 1's you bond far better, such as rooming with someone, meeting the same guys at the physio queue, sitting next to the guys during meals.

Warren Gatland will be weary of any bad publicity before he leaves these shores, as he will be expecting the Aus journo's to be gunning for them, the trick is to do what he did with Wales at the world cup, keep them focus'd but also very relaxed, and draw upon the positives of SA 2009!!!

DWARVES!..... Dwarves.

Under no cicumstances should any Lions player be allowed near one. Warren lays that rule down and things should be okay on the media front.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Thats a bit harsh, I mean how many of the Dwarf throwing bunch are actually touring?

It's rugby clubs, Mcd's, boats and the odd dealer Gats needs to stay away from OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu May 16, 2013 7:16 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I'm not sure getting mullered is the right way to go, a few drinks with dinner, and maybe an hour or 2 socialising at the bar after is one thing, sitting around getting smashed is a whole different ball game, and there are a number of players who won't touch a drop of alcohol anyway, including the captian...

Borrring! You won't make socail sec bluesman lol. Only messin, you make some good points. Its a different era to 1997 for example. The squad will bond and make friends for life...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu May 16, 2013 7:20 pm

SecretFly wrote:

DWARVES!..... Dwarves.

Under no cicumstances should any Lions player be allowed near one. Warren lays that rule down and things should be okay on the media front.

As Lee Mears isnt on this tour, we should be fine.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu May 16, 2013 7:22 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Thats a bit harsh, I mean how many of the Dwarf throwing bunch are actually touring?

It's rugby clubs, Mcd's, boats and the odd dealer Gats needs to stay away from OK

Oh I'm not so sure, blues. I can picture a few strategically placed dwarves waiting at the Arrivals gate in Sydney. Some of them with legimate cards holding up the names of passengers they're expecting to meet. Others more sinister with placards reading: I'm a cuddly Dwarf Please Throw Me...for the Hidden Cameras.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 16, 2013 7:27 pm

SecretFly wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:Thats a bit harsh, I mean how many of the Dwarf throwing bunch are actually touring?

Oh I'm not so sure, blues. I can picture a few strategically placed dwarves waiting at the Arrivals gate in Sydney. Some of them with legimate cards holding up the names of passengers they're expecting to meet. Others more sinister with placards reading: I'm a cuddly Dwarf Please Throw Me...for the Hidden Cameras.

Although you joke I have read recent reports of Aus journos trying to entrap people of late, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a few tricks up their sleeves ready for the lions to land. I know they enjoyed the world cup debacle with England, but then they were hardly the worst culprits, the kiwi journo's really went to town from the off!

I might be wrong however and they might enter into the spirit of the lions tour, maybe as it brings in so much revenue for everyone involved in Aus, including the public who ebjoy buying test tickets for $100 and put them on ebay for £2000 furious

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Are the players allowed to take wives?

If not a short boat trip to procure some high quality hookers in Macau will do more bonding than araldite

What goes on tour stays on tour and all that

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Griff wrote:
rodders wrote:

What a Jackass comment. Sounds like you want him to do badly before a ball has even been kicked. Can you tell me the lottery numbers too, Mr Oracle of Ireland?

The thing that annoys me about it really, is if people are just going to moan about it all, why not just ignore it? Nobody is being forced to watch them and it's not hard to ignore any Lions related stuff. There are a few people seemingly wanting Warburton, Lydiate, Stevens, Hartley etc to have bad tours, so they can act all I told you so.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Griff wrote:
rodders wrote:

The thing that annoys me about it really, is if people are just going to moan about it all, why not just ignore it? Nobody is being forced to watch them and it's not hard to ignore any Lions related stuff. There are a few people seemingly wanting Warburton, Lydiate, Stevens, Hartley etc to have bad tours, so they can act all I told you so.

Thats the beauty of tour rugby, we all want our players to shine and others to fall down to highlight how much more we know than the coaches and everyone else...

That said I really hope every man in the squad does well, a strong and victorious squad helps every player, and the Welsh having 15 men in would get a massive boost from a demolision of Aus. Doesn't mean I don't worry about the 10 and hook options though...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu May 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

Why should it annoy you? Or to word it differently, why should your annoyance matter to a person who is critical of Lions selections etc any more than his opinions should really matter to you.

And that's the general I'm talking about, not refering to Rodders in the particular. People will think what they think. In the years you've been observing Lions tours have you once witnessed a perfectly harmonious send-off...with Lions sing-songs and merriment from all followers?

Never would be my call on it. The Lions is the 'exciting' product it is for the very fact that it's a clash of differing convictions trying to unite under one banner. That's the drama and entertainment value of it all. If there was no recriminations, sneers, 'banter', put-downs, rivalry for numbers etc.... it wouldn't be the Lions. The party is the whole deal. The moaning, the games, the syrupy sweet comments that will come later from players about players from other Unions...it's the whole deal.

But to mention Rodders again....do you know him? Have you heard him in full swing talking about Ireland and Irish players at times? Just because you say the world is going to cave in on the next tour doesn't mean you want it to.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next