The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions rumours...

+41
dragonbreath
WELL-PAST-IT
GunsGerms
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
ChequeredJersey
Breadvan
BlueNote
RubyGuby
wanderingdragon
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
lostinwales
OzT
munkian
GloriousEmpire
funnyExiledScot
RuggerRadge2611
ME-109
Sin é
The Great Aukster
nathan
majesticimperialman
jimmyinthewell68
Bathman_in_London
LondonTiger
Cyril
XR
sirBiggles
Pal Joey
maestegmafia
Biltong
TJ1
t1000advancedprototype
sickofwendy
100%beefy
SecretFly
formerly known as Sam
LordDowlais
R!skysports
sirtidychris
rodders
thebluesmancometh
45 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lions rumours... - Page 2 Empty Lions rumours...

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 16 May 2013, 8:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thought I'd start a thread for gossip from the lions camp, nothing too negative (unless deserved of course) but any gossip any of us hear over the next few weeks...

I'll start, an old acquaintance has msg'd me and he has heard from a mate at the Vale that a certain Sarries player was not impressed with the chryo at all, and only did the bare minimum before getting as far away as possible. He won't name any names but I can only think it's Matt Stevens, I can't imagine the younger boys not seeing it as a challenge or adventure.

Just a rumour though, how accurate it is I don't know, and the Stevens mention was a total guess on my part, here's hoping youve got something better OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Lions rumours... - Page 2 Empty Re: Lions rumours...

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 20 May 2013, 3:59 pm

LondonTiger wrote: Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
gcBlues wrote:There's a rumour going around the Vale that Phil Vickery has retired.

Big shame just before a Lions tour, who will be the scape goat for the loss in the first test now?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 May 2013, 4:10 pm

That would be an interesting thread.

Which player will be scapegoat for the series loss this year?

Farrell is already ahead in the betting before a ball has been kicked in anger (though Wilkinson road-tested a few Lions match balls last week at a highly secret compound in north Wales)

Anyway, Farrell is favourite so far...with Stevens also in with a shout.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 20 May 2013, 4:38 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Riskysports wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Chris Patterson only kicked when it was 20 yards and in front of the posts.

Not quite true, that was a rumor started by other fans to belittle him

45 yards was his range

And he hit it from the side lines every time

I was, of course, joking!

I guess 'other fans' make up stuff to belittle Jonny too.

Strange old world innit?

Doh Yahoo Whistle king

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 May 2013, 4:48 pm

SecretFly wrote:That would be an interesting thread.

Farrell is already ahead in the betting before a ball has been kicked in anger (though Wilkinson road-tested a few Lions match balls last week at a highly secret compound in north Wales)

Warburton is way out in the lead for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Lions rumour: the players are getting along with each other just fine, unlike the fans!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 May 2013, 5:13 pm

Griff wrote:

Warburton is way out in the lead for me.

No, that's all just fun and games by people who like badger baiting. That's not nearly as serious as the doom and gloom merchants talking about what happens if Sexton is injured!!!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 20 May 2013, 5:22 pm

everytime Neil Jenkins kicked for goal u knew that 3 points was in the bag . Im not quite there with halfpenny yet but he is a reliable kicker

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 20 May 2013, 6:19 pm

Surely (their will be no scapegoat for the series loss) the player most likely too take the blame/should take the blame is the (CAPTAIN) Sam Warburton. and of course Warren Gatland for picking him as Captain in the first place. ok. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon 20 May 2013, 6:27 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:
gcBlues wrote:There's a rumour going around the Vale that Phil Vickery has retired.

Big shame just before a Lions tour, who will be the scape goat for the loss in the first test now?

Jonny W for not being picked, ROG for 2009, any Welsh player.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 20 May 2013, 8:25 pm

100%beefy wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:

Jonny W for not being picked, ROG for 2009, any English player.

Fixed that for you.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 20 May 2013, 9:02 pm

100%beefy wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:

Jonny W for not being picked, ROG for 2009, any Welsh player.

Jonny W was picked! He was just bigger than the team and decided he couldn't be ersed with all the team-building nonsense - fair enough he doesn't need the money and why would he risk another injury for a pointless team when he can sign up for another year in France?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Mon 20 May 2013, 9:22 pm

Stevens could well put his fat hand on the ball whilst sitting on his fat srse just after the ref tells him not to.......again

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 21 May 2013, 8:59 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:

Don't worry lads, he's made it to the camp to keep the spirits up!

Spoiler:

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 21 May 2013, 10:26 am

Griff wrote:Lions rumour: the players are getting along with each other just fine, unlike the fans!

POC is bored out of his tree sharing a room with Warbs - wishing that Andy Powell was on tour for a few laughs.

"I know we've gone very professional but there's a certain point where professionalism has a number of limited gains and you do need to be a little bit 'old school' at times. I'll have that chat with Sam at some stage, but first we need to work really hard."
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 21 May 2013, 10:41 am

Everybody knows that the real captain(s) and leaders are BOD and POC....warburton is like a schoolkid

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 21 May 2013, 10:45 am

DOD wrote:Everybody knows that the real captain(s) and leaders are BOD and POC....warburton is like a schoolkid
a six foot 3 seventeen stone school kid with a grandslam and champions medal Very Happy school kid

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 21 May 2013, 11:05 am

Sin é wrote:
Griff wrote:Lions rumour: the players are getting along with each other just fine, unlike the fans!

POC is bored out of his tree sharing a room with Warbs - wishing that Andy Powell was on tour for a few laughs.

"I know we've gone very professional but there's a certain point where professionalism has a number of limited gains and you do need to be a little bit 'old school' at times. I'll have that chat with Sam at some stage, but first we need to work really hard."

Sounds like POC will ask permission to play a prank on someone from his captain Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 21 May 2013, 11:11 am

From what I hear Hogg is being an absolute Wuss with his hayfever! as a result he is trying to shirk his duties of looking after the Mascott.

"The hay fever's a nightmare. It always comes up at the start of summer - my eyes start to puff up," he said. "Holding that lion in my hands is bit of a nightmare because of it's long main - it gets a little bit itchy. Maybe I'll speak with the gaffer and see what he says about that."

“It’s bit of a nightmare but being the youngest it’s bit of a tradition to take it, I was speaking to Leigh Halfpenny about it – he did it in 2009 and he said the lion was pretty small. This time it’s massive. When you’re packing your bag for training you pack your shorts and gumshield etc, but I have to bring the lion as well.

“I’m pretty concerned that I’ll forget my boots one day. I’d rather forget the lion, to be fair. It’s a big responsibility because sometimes I struggle to look after myself, so to look after something else is tough. It’s already been hidden. I’ve been tempted to leave it in my room, but there are fines in place and I don’t want to be out of pocket.”

picard Man up laddie you are from Scotland! Mind you being Scottish he won't be happy to part with the cash for a fine...

The good news is he has impressed Gatland and his peers with his dedication to training and his performance against Wales who the Lions had a training session with before the Welsh lads go to Japan.

British & Irish Lions boss Warren Gatland has revealed his side played against Wales in training last week and put them "to the sword".

Those members of the 37-strong squad not involved in Amlin Challenge Cup, RaboDirect PRO12 or Aviva Premiership finals gathered at the Vale of Glamorgan for a training camp. And Gatland was delighted to see the Lions demolish Wales, who are touring Japan next month, during a practice run.

"I was really impressed with last week, not just over how well everyone gelled but from a technical aspect as well," Gatland said. "Having been involved with the Lions four years ago, there has been a significant improvement in the players technically.

"We're fit, we're big, we're strong and have some real pace. We did some training against the Welsh team on Friday, the forwards did some line-outs and mauling against them. Our backs ran against them and looked really, really sharp and put the Welsh team to the sword.

"They put them under a lot of pressure and came away from that feeling really, really positive."

Gatland, who has taken a break from his role as Wales' head coach while he oversees the Lions, revealed that players from England, Ireland and Scotland were given an eye opener when they convened for training last week.

"Last week we trained with a level of intensity that some of the players from other countries hadn't experienced before," he said. "Some of the Welsh boys hadn't experienced that for a few months as well. It reminded people of what the expectations are."

And one of those backs who shone against Wales and has been given an eye opener in training is Stuart Hogg.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 21 May 2013, 11:23 am

Some implied criticism of the other 6 Nations coaches in that Gatland quote:

"some of the players from other countries hadn't experience this level of intensity in training before".

Doesn't hugely surprise me with respect to the Scotland players. In fact they didn't much like Andy Robinson because he made them run and stuff in training, and said nasty things to them.

Hopefully this experience will do Gray, Hogg and Maitland the power of good, and it sounds like preparations so far have been going really well.

Stop moaning Hoggy!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 21 May 2013, 12:06 pm

What about the rumour that European player of the year has been omitted from the squad in favour of another nepotistic selection from Dad?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 May 2013, 12:23 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:What about the rumour that European player of the year has been omitted from the squad in favour of another nepotistic selection from Dad?

Not ommitted, turned it down HERSH.

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 21 May 2013, 1:16 pm

Media management.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 21 May 2013, 1:22 pm

Sure about dat ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22604327
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Tue 21 May 2013, 1:23 pm

Yes.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 21 May 2013, 1:26 pm

SO Farrell has ANOTHER son lurking in the wings that nobody else knows about ?

What about the rumour that European player of the year has been omitted from the squad in favour of another nepotistic selection from Dad?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 21 May 2013, 1:29 pm

I guess him going as a replacement will give him the kudos of the test matches without the boring bit of pre match talks and training and mid week games.

If there're odds on JW making the Lions' test side I think it'll be a sure win bet.

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 21 May 2013, 1:38 pm

Gafftland really should keep his mouth shut. His Wales A team puts his Wales B team "to the sword" in a no contact training session - is that really something to crow about? What are Wales B going to do - knock seven bells out of their teammates and lose favour with their Test coach forever? Emotive language like putting an opponent "to the sword" is fine in the Test series, but total hyperbolics in a friendly training session. It can't be great for the Wales side either going to Japan hearing how they were demolished.

Gatland, who has taken a break from his role as Wales' head coach while he oversees the Lions, revealed that players from England, Ireland and Scotland were given an eye opener when they convened for training last week.
"Last week we trained with a level of intensity that some of the players from other countries hadn't experienced before," he said. "Some of the Welsh boys hadn't experienced that for a few months as well. It reminded people of what the expectations are."
Strange how he felt the need to say that some players from England, Ireland and Scotland hadn't experienced the level of intensity before yet only "some of the Welsh boys" needed a reminder. Why does he need to make such divisive comments when he could just as easily use corporate ones? The Aussie media will just love him.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 21 May 2013, 1:42 pm

I heard a rumor once that Gatland had a press conference and no one objected on 606v2

I can not confirm that though

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 21 May 2013, 1:47 pm

Riskysports wrote:I heard a rumor once that Gatland had a press conference and no one objected on 606v2

I can not confirm that though
It did happen once, but it was later realised that they had forgotten to turn his microphone on.

However I did see a few comments complaining that some of his facial expressions were inflammatory.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 21 May 2013, 1:51 pm

Its pretty well known that the Welsh players are fitter than most of the other NH teams... not exactly airing dirty laundry.

Matt Stephens not a fan of sit ups 'shocker' Lions rumours... - Page 2 57983

Some of you here are worse than the media.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 21 May 2013, 1:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Some implied criticism of the other 6 Nations coaches in that Gatland quote:

"some of the players from other countries hadn't experience this level of intensity in training before".

Doesn't hugely surprise me with respect to the Scotland players. In fact they didn't much like Andy Robinson because he made them run and stuff in training, and said nasty things to them.

Hopefully this experience will do Gray, Hogg and Maitland the power of good, and it sounds like preparations so far have been going really well.

Stop moaning Hoggy!

So the intensity of training (that the English, Scots and Irish can't get their head around) wins 6N titles? Now there's a thought that none of us have ever considered, given the glaring distinction between general Welsh Regional fitness and Welsh International fitness levels. They've been two different beasts for some time now. No secret uncovered there, Gats.

But...the problem with OTT intensity of training is that it's only good for short bouts of intense gametime. It couldn't be sustained for an entire season or burn-out would be a big risk. Didn't quite a few Welsh players suffer from a bout of knee ailments not so long ago...put down to the levels of training intensity they might be enduring at Welsh camp?

Anyway, ... so we're back to what you prioritise. Do you prioritise International periods of high intensity training or a stategic season of tempering the intensity and having players peaking at the right time. Gatland has just encountered players who have differing priorities....that's why some of them still have League games to play at the end of a season Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 21 May 2013, 2:21 pm

NZ born Welsh coach of lions overtrains tired players at end of season causing upset and injury. Possible Deja vu?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 21 May 2013, 2:32 pm

lostinwales wrote:NZ born Welsh coach of lions overtrains tired players at end of season causing upset and injury. Possible Deja vu?

I was thinking the same. Who is going to step forward and "do a Matt Dawson"??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 21 May 2013, 2:38 pm

So if some players aren't as fit as other its because the fitter players are 'over trained' ? Lions rumours... - Page 2 57983
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 21 May 2013, 2:38 pm

I heard another rumour.

Australia will win.

apparently this is not a rumour, a man from the future brought back a book with all the results up until 2134
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 21 May 2013, 2:38 pm

munkian wrote:Its pretty well known that the Welsh players are fitter than most of the other NH teams... not exactly airing dirty laundry.

Matt Stephens not a fan of sit ups 'shocker' Lions rumours... - Page 2 57983

Some of you here are worse than the media.

But why bother mentioning it? Does it help with blending his squad?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 21 May 2013, 2:38 pm

Biltong wrote:I heard another rumour.

Australia will win.

apparently this is not a rumour, a man from the future brought back a book with all the results up until 2134

I'd actually believe him, Biltong

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 21 May 2013, 2:57 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
Biltong wrote:I heard another rumour.

Australia will win.

I'd actually believe him, Biltong
You're supposed to get upset mate, not agree.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 21 May 2013, 2:59 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Strange how he felt the need to say that some players from England, Ireland and Scotland hadn't experienced the level of intensity before yet only "some of the Welsh boys" needed a reminder. Why does he need to make such divisive comments when he could just as easily use corporate ones? The Aussie media will just love him.

Coached by Rowntree & Ford Very Happy

I wonder was Gatland selected as head coach because he will keep making silly gaffs and draw the media attention away from the England players.

PS - Hogg will be sent home with a serious bout of hayfever if the training doesn't break him first and Wilko can climb aboard to save the day.

Wilko to start all Tests and Sky will make a killing.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 21 May 2013, 3:11 pm

SecretFly wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Some implied criticism of the other 6 Nations coaches in that Gatland quote:

Stop moaning Hoggy!

So the intensity of training (that the English, Scots and Irish can't get their head around) wins 6N titles? Now there's a thought that none of us have ever considered, given the glaring distinction between general Welsh Regional fitness and Welsh International fitness levels. They've been two different beasts for some time now. No secret uncovered there, Gats.

But...the problem with OTT intensity of training is that it's only good for short bouts of intense gametime. It couldn't be sustained for an entire season or burn-out would be a big risk. Didn't quite a few Welsh players suffer from a bout of knee ailments not so long ago...put down to the levels of training intensity they might be enduring at Welsh camp?

Anyway, ... so we're back to what you prioritise. Do you prioritise International periods of high intensity training or a stategic season of tempering the intensity and having players peaking at the right time. Gatland has just encountered players who have differing priorities....that's why some of them still have League games to play at the end of a season Wink

I was going to say, so reading between the lines, those who have had nothing to play for since a certain match against England and havent been involved in any HC/league knockout stages are fresher than those who have had something to play for with their domestic team? According to my Scarlets supporting mate, George North has been using the Scarlets games since then as a warm up for this first training session.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Tue 21 May 2013, 3:22 pm

I heard a rumour that some of the 'fans' on here from east of the Severn Bridge are going to support the Lions!

It's only a rumour though and from much of the cr*p I've read I think it is only going to happen if Gatland, every Welsh, Scottish and Irish player gets removed from the squad, they start playing in white shirts with a rose on it and calling the sport 'wugger' whilst sipping Pimms on the lawn!

Time to give it break on the Welsh bashing (ironically something they haven't managed on the pitch for a while) and support the LIONS.

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 21 May 2013, 4:02 pm

Fleetwood Mac thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue 21 May 2013, 4:03 pm

Gatland does seem to have foot in mouth disease. I used to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was some clever mind game I didn't have the knowledge to appreciate, now I just think he says dumb things because he can't manage not to.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 21 May 2013, 4:04 pm

BlueNote wrote:Gatland does seem to have foot in mouth disease. I used to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was some clever mind game I didn't have the knowledge to appreciate, now I just think he says dumb things because he can't manage not to.

+ 1 thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Tue 21 May 2013, 4:15 pm

wanderingdragon wrote:I heard a rumour that some of the 'fans' on here from east of the Severn Bridge are going to support the Lions!

It's only a rumour though and from much of the cr*p I've read I think it is only going to happen if Gatland, every Welsh, Scottish and Irish player gets removed from the squad, they start playing in white shirts with a rose on it and calling the sport 'wugger' whilst sipping Pimms on the lawn!

Time to give it break on the Welsh bashing (ironically something they haven't managed on the pitch for a while) and support the LIONS.

chin So...posters expressing opinions slightly negative to Gatland you think are going to support the Aussies? Crackers.....the thats not a rumour!
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 21 May 2013, 4:19 pm

I'm not sure why Gatlands comments are dumb, he's based his Wales gameplan and career on raising the conditioning level to that above anyone else, and it's hard to argue against the effectiveness of this regime.

Intensity is a funny word, if you struggle for intensity it doesn't automatically assume you are tired, or you are unfit, it ismply highlights that you are unable to play to a standard set as high as the coach wants.

Gatland is clearly caliming that the rest of the home nations players are struggling to raise their games to where he wants it, and so are the Welsh boys. He clearly knows the Welsh boys are capable as he will be using their training in the Welsh camp as the benchmark, so to say they need to be reminded of it implies he knows they will get there, whereas nothing of him knows that the rest of the squad have the ability to get there also.

What exactly is wrong with what Gats said, it is after all blunt but truthfull, something Gatland does all the time, tell it like it is and let the naysayers worry over what the interpretations are!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 21 May 2013, 4:19 pm

wanderingdragon wrote:I heard a rumour that some of the 'fans' on here from east of the Severn Bridge are going to support the Lions!

Having reservations about the squad etc are not the same as Welsh bashing, and frankly making stereotyped xenophobic comments of your own in your post doesn't help you one bit. As I primarily consider myself to be a Brit then English, I look forward to the Lions more than any other rugby event and will be cheering them all the way, every player who wears the red jersey. That has no impact on my thoughts of whether we will actually win or not or whether all the decisions made up to this point are correct. We criticise Lancaster and English players when they mess up too, does that mean we don't support England? Everyone in England, bar a few fools, will be supporting the Lions. That does not mean that we should not voice our concerns over things like only bringing 2 flyhalves on tour or what are apparent signs of hypocrisy in Gatland's selection criteria
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by wanderingdragon Tue 21 May 2013, 4:26 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Having reservations about the squad etc are not the same as Welsh bashing, and frankly making stereotyped xenophobic comments of your own in your post doesn't help you one bit. As I primarily consider myself to be a Brit then English, I look forward to the Lions more than any other rugby event and will be cheering them all the way, every player who wears the red jersey. That has no impact on my thoughts of whether we will actually win or not or whether all the decisions made up to this point are correct. We criticise Lancaster and English players when they mess up too, does that mean we don't support England? Everyone in England, bar a few fools, will be supporting the Lions. That does not mean that we should not voice our concerns over things like only bringing 2 flyhalves on tour or what are apparent signs of hypocrisy in Gatland's selection criteria

The key word I used was 'SOME'.

wanderingdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 21 May 2013, 4:28 pm

Well, there will always be people who won't support the Lions
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 21 May 2013, 4:29 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Well, there will always be people who won't support the Lions

Aussies for one OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next