The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carpel Tunnel

5 posters

Go down

Carpel Tunnel Empty Carpel Tunnel

Post by dynamark Sun 19 May 2013, 8:33 am

No not a new gary player designed course.Has anyone come across or had this medical issue in the left wrist/arm.
Pins and needles been bothering me for a couple of weeks but then when the pain went into my arm on Wednesday after golf Im hot to the doc who has arranged for me top see a clinician and suggesting an operation to cut the ligament in the wrist.two problems are probably six weeks off golf midseason and the surgeon who does the op is a ham fisted 24 handicapper at my club and I don't really want him near me with a scalpel.
Anyone had any experience of this and any alternative tteatments.Its bloody irritating and hard to get to sleep but will have to be dealt with to protect the nerves etc.
Funny thing played really well yesterday best round for a couple of years

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Carpel Tunnel Empty Re: Carpel Tunnel

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 May 2013, 11:40 am

Second opinion!

dyna,
Unless you play/practice a LOT, highly unlikely any carpal tunnel problem is from golf, often caused by an unnatural repetitive motion.

Ken Venturi had to retire from professional golf because of a version of it affecting his hands, but I'd get a second opinion before anyone starts buggering around with ligaments.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 19 May 2013, 3:55 pm

That's one of the problems with surgeons Dyna. They always seem to think the answer is the knife - mind you, according to a certain web based encylopedia, surgery is the only answer for carpel tunnel syndrome.

Second opinion required that it is actually CTS methinks.

oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by GT350 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:34 am

Dyna - First off I am NOT a physician of any denomination, however I can speak with authority on one point. Surgery is definitely not the only answer.
Carpal Tunnel is very common among people who use a computer mouse in their work. My understanding is that it is an inflamation of the 'sheath' that surrounds tendons in the wrist. It can be rectified by resting the wrist from the action you think is the cause (I really doubt if it is golf) and you can also buy a wrist splint from your local chemist/pharmacy which will support the wrist. While I am not in a position to make any guarantees, I can say with certainty this remedy has worked for others who were diagnosed similarly. Good luck.

GT350

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 20 May 2013, 10:33 am

Thanks guys the doc was a bit quick with the solution.i think it may be partly down to a machine I have been using at the gym which I would describe as a hand bike. I have purchased a lightweight splint thing at great expense and that has settled it down to a numbness in finger and thumb.Spoke to a guy this morning at the tyre depot who described in graphic detail the six inch needle used for the cortisone injection.So basically I am a woos!Giving the pyhsio a call later and no doubt she will offer some more holistic treatments which I will definitely try first as I have trusted her judgment for years.Surprising how many folk have experience of this.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Humpyd Tue 21 May 2013, 1:27 pm

Dyna, my Dad had this op over the winter and it was very successful although he couldn't play golf for about 2 months (which was not really an issue bearing in mind the winter we had!!).

However, I think you need to find out what's caused the problem in the first place. If it's related to the 'hand bike' at the gym then this is easy enough to cut out.

There are quite a few suffers who recommend Powerballs - go onto the Argos website and type in Powerball on the search area.

Humpyd

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 24 May 2013, 3:33 pm

Physio was great as usual -wish I had married the lass -must make £2k a week and you would never have an ailment again.Some exercises to do which I could do with a third hand for but just a slight tingling in the fingers today so fingers crossed(maybe that caused the trouble)

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down