The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did Ali get Parkinsons??? - happy now.

+11
horizontalhero
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Strongback
kingraf
manos de piedra
captain carrantuohil
Rodney
TheMackemMawler
TRUSSMAN66
John Bloody Wayne
ONETWOFOREVER
15 posters

Go down

How did Ali get Parkinsons??? - happy now. Empty How did Ali get Parkinsons??? - happy now.

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 20 May 2013, 8:33 pm

Do you consider fighting off the ropes an art?

Some say its suicide. Can give the judges the impression that the opponant has the upper hand

I say its boxing skill at its very best. Any examples of great off the rope work?

Fo me hands down the greatest fighter I have seen employ such tactics in more then 1 of his fights was James Toney. His masterclass aginst Iran Barkley comes to mind. Toney really was a joy to watch sometimes.

Mayweather was effective against De La Hoya a performance he does not get enough credit for also...

Wilfredo Benitez gave a virtuso performance of fighting off the ropes against Carlos Palomino. A clinic in counter-punching.

Other worthy mention goes to Galindez and Johnny Dundee but should we mention Ali for rope a dope?

Last edited by ONETWOFOREVER on Mon 20 May 2013, 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

How did Ali get Parkinsons??? - happy now. Empty Re: How did Ali get Parkinsons??? - happy now.

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 20 May 2013, 8:50 pm

Against Foreman Ali was a revelation on the ropes. That's what he was practicing when he was regularly used as a heavy bag by sparring partners, he learned how to effectively cover and roll and sneak the counter shots in. All the while coming back sneaky shots to score points and dirty tactics to sap energy like headlocks and sticking his glove in Big George's armpit.

I guess his back wasn't technically against the ropes, but RJJ was close enough when he did that hands behind the back knockout.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

How did Ali get Parkinsons??? - happy now. Empty Re: How did Ali get Parkinsons??? - happy now.

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 20 May 2013, 8:56 pm

Dundee never knew about Ali rope a dope and never approved so I doubt he practiced it as you say.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 20 May 2013, 9:05 pm

All footage I've seen of Ali sparring in the seventies was basically rope a doping. Hence why Holmes, among others, laid into him regularly.

Norman Mailer described prep for Foreman perfectly, including sparring sessions that were mainly clinches and wrestling infront of a dissapointed crowd, who'd turned up to see the people's champ trade punches.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 9:29 pm

I think Foreman had a lot to do with Ali getting Parkinson's...Took an awful lot of punches in that fight....

Virtuoso not for me...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 20 May 2013, 9:38 pm

I wonder how long Ali fought with the rudiments of Parkinson's Disease. It certainly seems a contributor to the Spink's loss.

If you compare the Ali we know and love in the beginning of the video to the Ali talking from 4 minutes 51 onwards then the evidence of his decline is clearly evident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEPvHaRGagI&list=PLMYbk4WiJM2Sxk13Ba8GqyySwlIhdQBL8
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 9:40 pm

Interesting.............But I think Manila, Zaire and Shavers didn't help...

Rope a dope.......Was because his legs had gone pure and simple.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 20 May 2013, 9:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think Foreman had a lot to do with Ali getting Parkinson's...Took an awful lot of punches in that fight....

Virtuoso not for me...

Didn't take anywhere near the punishment for me mate as portrayed, Ali was comfortably ahead in that match before the stoppage came.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 20 May 2013, 9:52 pm

It's certainly an art, and there are those who could/can do it damned well. You've mentioned a few, but I would love to add the name of Ken Buchanan to the list - his ability to turn his opponent on the ropes, make him look silly and pepper him with counters was a joy to watch for this young fan!

Conversely, of course, it's an art that not every one can master and there are some boxers who should be fined for even attempting it as a tactic. Yes, Mr DeGale, I'm looking at you.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 20 May 2013, 10:00 pm

Norman Mailer was supposedly more fiction than fact when it came to the Rumble from what I have read. I think it was him who planted the story about Dundee going around loosening the ropes when Dundee was actually ordering the ropes to be tightened because they had wilted in the humidity. Ive also read that Mailer didnt get around much over in Zaire and most of his material came second hand from other journalists like Plimpton.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 20 May 2013, 10:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Interesting.............But I think Manila, Zaire and Shavers didn't help...

Rope a dope.......Was because his legs had gone pure and simple.

My gut feeling is that some of the punishment received in those fights exasperated an already prevailing condition (at least), and if not, then it most certainly quickened his fated deterioration.

Ali was diagnosed with Parkinsons in 1984 but to the untrained eye judging by that video then he was already suffering as early as 78' (and this was partly to blame for the Spinks loss)

Video evidence should be supplied to physicians to allow a 'dated' retrospective diagnosis to be issued, thereafter, categorical mitigation can applied to Ali's later defeats (or not). Either way, his legs weren't what they were for the Foreman fight.

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Mon 20 May 2013, 10:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 10:05 pm

He looked a mess before the Holmes fight.....

Too much money involved..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 20 May 2013, 10:15 pm

Truss, his legs forced him to do it, but it is not the fittest that survive, but that which can adapt. He adapted to his loss of athleticism.

Manos, I know I'm guilty of being taken in by his wonderful writing style, but I don't see why else Ali would spend so many sparring sessions sitting on the ropes and and appearing quite lethargic against guys not half as able as those he was training to whoop. Given the fact he utilised it so effectively, combined with the wrestling, it would be pretty incredible if he hadn't practiced it extensively.

On the subject of parkinsons, did Ali's father not die of parkinsons? That man never fought in his life.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 20 May 2013, 10:25 pm

I dont think Ali was a great gym fighter, at least later on in his career. Ive heard Dundee say that. He clowned in sparring regularly enough. There is evidence I think that Ali had noted Foremans relative innefectiveness against Ribalta and had possibly formulated the idea but it could have just been a perfect a storm on the night whereby the ropes were loose, Ali wasnt the mover he was and couldnt dance around Foreman and then decided to implement the rope a dope out of neccessity but also had the smarts to decide to try and let Foreman punch himself out. By all most accounts Dundee hadnt anticipated Ali fighting like tht at all so it would seem strange that Ali would not have even confided in Dundee that he had a whole different gameplan.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 20 May 2013, 10:27 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote: On the subject of parkinsons, did Ali's father not die of parkinsons? That man never fought in his life.

I'm not sure of the 'ins and outs' of Parkinsons but, hereditary or not, I don't believe being punched in the head is conducive to a neurological thingy.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 20 May 2013, 10:34 pm

SO many ifs and buts about that fight. Maybe Ali didn't confide his plan in Dundee because the thought of Ali lying on the ropes against a guy whose reputation as a puncher was so great you'd think he could crush a house in one blow (you'd be right too!) would be enough to push Dundee over the edge of worry. It's highly possible none of them actually thought Ali would win.

He certainly wasn't the gym rat of the sixties, it would just be a hell of a thing to suddenly be able to pull off in my eyes. He didn't just stand there, by any means, or he would have been felled quickly.

I don't know much at all about any kind of disease. It's worth noting that in the seventies Ali did sometimes take shots more on the head rather than the chin, which saved him from getting knocked out but would directly impact the brain. Sure didn't help.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 20 May 2013, 10:43 pm

Strange really because you'd expect the fighter to inform his coach of such a controversial/dangerous plan prior to the fight to reduce the likelihood of the uniformed coach throwing the towel in should things get hairy.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 20 May 2013, 10:45 pm

Apparently one million people have Parkinsons in the States, and 10% get it before the age of 40. Maybe Ali just got a bad genetic hand. But he should have stopped after Holmes, he is quite obviously beginning to struggle there.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 20 May 2013, 10:46 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Strange really because you'd expect the fighter to inform his coach of such a controversial/dangerous plan prior to the fight to reduce the likelihood of the uniformed coach throwing the towel in should things get hairy.

Aye, I know what I'm saying is wild conjecture.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 20 May 2013, 10:51 pm

I dont know if Ali told Dundee what the plan was. But I suspect thats because "rope-a-dope! wasnt plan A. Round 1, he through 12 right hand leads at Foreman (doubt he told Angelo about that either), with that failing, and The humidity putting paid to any hopes of dancing, I think Ali figured out that The ropes were his best (only) shot at winning
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 21 May 2013, 12:15 am

Reading Mailer's The Fight and Ali's autobiography The Greatest there isn't much difference in the accounts of the Foreman fight. Ali talks more about it being 'good versus evil' but he also discusses using his ability to take a punch as a tactic to tire Foreman out.

Ali's taunting a tired Foreman is still one of the greatest quotes in boxing:

"Man! This is the wrong place to get tired."

Ali didn't give Foreman a rematch although George pursued one. Wink

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 May 2013, 8:38 am

Whilst boxing clearly hasn't helped Ali's condition, there's simply no conclusive proof that Boxing causes Parkinson's disease. If this is the case, can anyone tell me what Michael J Fox's boxing record was?

Half of you sound like those dippy ill informed tarts on "Loose Women"

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 21 May 2013, 10:03 am

The woman hate is getting irrational Dave. Seek help.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 21 May 2013, 10:06 am

In fairness to DAVE there is no conclusive evidence....

Just like there isn't any evidence falling off K2 or Everest can kill you.......

Hitting your head on the ground can!!....... but falling off ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 21 May 2013, 10:15 am

What about that last fight in Boston, I heard you were never the same after that.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 21 May 2013, 10:21 am

My granny had it and she never fought Foreman!!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 21 May 2013, 11:06 am

and I fought Foreman on the streets once and I'm fine.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 21 May 2013, 11:07 am

Foreman's never been the same, though.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 21 May 2013, 11:35 am

DAVE667 wrote:Whilst boxing clearly hasn't helped Ali's condition, there's simply no conclusive proof that Boxing causes Parkinson's disease. If this is the case, can anyone tell me what Michael J Fox's boxing record was?

Half of you sound like those dippy ill informed tarts on "Loose Women"

But there is conclusive proof that it can cause Parkinson syndrome. The difference is that with the disease, the brains cell that create dopamine are damaged by the disease - call it biologically damaged if you will, with syndrome the cells are damaged mechancially-by the twisting action of the brain and blows around the back of ther head - the cells in question are found near where the spinal column attaches to the brain. The affect is exactly the same, but the cause is different.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 May 2013, 11:38 am

Seems there's subtle differences between this and Dementia Pugilistica (being punch drunk) which is what many believe Ali suffer's from (incorrectly)

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 21 May 2013, 11:48 am

DAVE667 wrote:Seems there's subtle differences between this and Dementia Pugilistica (being punch drunk) which is what many believe Ali suffer's from (incorrectly)

True- if anyone is interested in brain injury stuff, it's worth looking up the case between the NFL and the players, that has been in the news recently- there's growing concern that player are increasingly at risk of CTE ( basically same as DP) and the NFL are culpable as they encourage ever bigger hits, without acknowledging the risks. Sorry I can't give a link at the minute, but there was an excellent piece in the Independent on it- worth a search of their website for. It included an explaination of why some people seem to be able to take hundreds of hits with seemingly little effect on their health whilst others such as the Benetiz and Taylors of this world end up with DP.- something about proteins that the brain repairs it's self with.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 21 May 2013, 11:51 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/billiondollar-collision-nfl-goes-headtohead-with-injured-stars-8567813.html

The National Football League, flagship of America’s most popular spectator sport, is awaiting a federal judge’s ruling that could clear the way for a multibillion-dollar legal action from its players that stems from the very on-field violence that is one of the league’s biggest attractions.

At the centre of the action is a group of lawsuits brought by more than 4,000 former players who are suing the NFL for not only neglecting, but knowingly concealing from them, the long-term consequences of the concussions and head injuries endemic in the game.

On Tuesday in Philadelphia the case was argued for the first time in court, over a demand by the NFL that the lawsuits should be thrown out. Lawyers for the league not only denied the accusations of wilful negligence, but claimed that the issue was basically a labour dispute, best resolved under the collective bargaining agreement between NFL owners and player’s unions that govern the sport.

The players’ attorneys however urged Judge Anita Brody to dismiss the NFL motion, claiming the league had “glorified” and “monetised” violence without regard for its consequences. “The league knew or should have known that these repeated blows to the head caused significant neurological injury,” David Frederick, the players’ lead lawyer said.

All eyes are now on Ms Brody, who did not tip her hand as she briskly conducted the hour of oral arguments. “I’ll rule when I sort this out for myself,” she said as she wrapped up proceedings. That could take days, weeks, or even months, with a virtual certainty of an appeal, whatever her decision.

She has a broad range of options, from throwing out all the lawsuits as the league wants, or allowing all of them to go forward – or just some of them. At stake is not a single class action filing, in which any award would be split equally between every plaintiff, but 222 separate lawsuits that were consolidated for the purposes of the Philadelphia hearing.

One thing however is sure. The stakes are huge, not just financially but, many observers believe, for the long-term future of the league. If America has a national pastime it is no longer baseball but football. The NFL’s annual revenues, underpinned by lucrative television rights, now exceed $9bn (£5.9bn), making it – it claims – the richest sports league on earth.

In the past few years, however, a shadow has fallen over the progress of this seemingly unstoppable juggernaut: concussion-related brain injuries, above all chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, that has turned the lives of many former players into a misery of dementia, depression, and Alzheimer’s disease.

NFL fans love the bone-crushing hits, but the long-term costs are ever more apparent, underscored by the 2012 suicides of two former star players, Junior Seau and Ray Easterling, both of whom were subsequently diagnosed with CTE. Mr Easterling, a long-time defensive back with the Atlanta Falcons, led the first major player lawsuit, filed in 2011.

Since then, indeed even before, the NFL introduced new rules designed to make the game safer. But controversy has if anything grown, driven by revelations such as the “bounty” system of extra rewards for injuring star players on the opposition.

Critics demand further measures to protect players – but these could strike at the very heart of the sport’s appeal. Some even speculate that football could be undone by its inherent violence, and ultimately go the way of professional boxing. Today, the so-called “noble art” is a sporting sideshow, but barely half a century ago boxing was the second most popular US sport after baseball.

Case studies

Ralph Wenzel

1943-2012

NFL seasons 7 (Pittsburgh Steelers, San Diego Chargers)

“Who’s the #62?” Eleanor Perfetto would ask her husband as he withered before her, pointing to a picture of him in his prime. He had no idea. Ralph Wenzel was a star offensive guard in the late-1960s and early 1970s, his job to prevent the opposing defence hurting his quarterback. In the end it was he who suffered. In 1995 he suffered spells of forgetfulness and confusion, but by the time he died at a retirement home in Maryland his Alzheimer’s was so bad he was unrecognisable to his wife, and she to him. “He was in a position where he was being hit pretty routinely,” she told the New York Times two years before his death. “Given what I’ve learned since then, it made sense there was long-term damage caused by his football career.” Eleanor would be among the first to sue the NFL, taking advantage of the laws in California to file for compensation. “He lost his sense of humour, he lost his personality and his sense of dignity. He lost it all,” she would tell a Congressional committee in 2009.

Dave Duerson

1960-2011

NFL seasons 11 (Chicago Bears, New York Giants, Phoenix Cardinals)

Dave Duerson had everything. Two Super Bowl rings, the NFL’s Man of the Year award for 1987, and after retiring as a player a food business that made him very, very rich. In 2001 he sold up and started again, only this time experiencing failure for the first time in his life when his new venture collapsed with chronic debts that left him bankrupt. Duerson was a fearsome safety, arguably the most brutal position on the field whose goal it was to stop opponents dead and dislodge the football, invariably through high-speed, head-to-head collisions. In the run-up to his death he complained of headaches and blurred vision, and short-term memory loss so acute that he often had to write down the names of his closest friends lest he embarrass himself when he was with them. On 17 February 2011 he climbed in to bed, pulled up the covers and shot himself in the chest. His suicide note described how his mood swings and altered personality had driven away his family and cost him his fortune. A text message he sent immediately before he pulled the trigger urged that his brain be donated to research into CTE. The bullet to the chest ensured it remained intact.

Junior Seau

1969-2012

NFL seasons 20 (San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots)

Few players survive in the NFL for as long as the linebacker from American Samoa, and if they do they are usually kickers, not enforcers. A fierce competitor whose dedication to his craft meant he was still playing aged 40, he set such high standards that the league named him in its team of the decade for the 1990s. But towards the end of his life he began to exhibit the classic signs of brain injury; violent moods, irrationality, forgetfulness, insomnia, depression. His wife Gina told the Associated Press after he committed suicide, like Duerson shooting himself in the chest: “We saw things that didn’t add up with him, but CTE was not something we were aware of.” He did not leave a note, just the scribbled lyrics of his favourite country song, Who I Ain’t, about a man who regrets what he has become. Once again his brain was sent for analysis, once again it came back showing he had CTE. On 23 January this year his family launched a lawsuit against the NFL.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 21 May 2013, 11:55 am

Personally, I think it was a combination of all the big fights he had - Ali could dance around the ring, slip shots - but he also had a granite chin when needed and he did trade on it, Frazier took him to a war - you don't fight 15 rounds of high velocity boxing, getting hit in the head as much as he did and not suffer from it.

Crying shame, but one of those things.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 21 May 2013, 11:55 am

I think you'd have to be fairly open minded to believe Ali had Parkinsons rather than brain damage as a consequence of fighting.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 21 May 2013, 12:06 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:Personally, I think it was a combination of all the big fights he had - Ali could dance around the ring, slip shots - but he also had a granite chin when needed and he did trade on it, Frazier took him to a war - you don't fight 15 rounds of high velocity boxing, getting hit in the head as much as he did and not suffer from it.

Crying shame, but one of those things.

By all reports he took loads of unneccessary shots in sparring post 1971- and subconcussive shots also play a part in chronic brain injury- to me it's like smoking- not every smoker will die of a smoking related disease, but it is an undefiable fact that every cigarette is harmful. Any punch to the head (with reasonable force) is bad for your brain, the trick, like with smoking is to give up before it's too late- the problem is that too late varies from person to person.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 21 May 2013, 3:39 pm

DAVE667 wrote: There's simply no conclusive proof that Boxing causes Parkinson's disease

horizontalhero wrote: But there is conclusive proof that it can cause Parkinson syndrome. The difference is that with the disease, the brains cell that create dopamine are damaged by the disease - call it biologically damaged if you will, with syndrome the cells are damaged mechancially-by the twisting action of the brain and blows around the back of ther head - the cells in question are found near where the spinal column attaches to the brain. The affect is exactly the same, but the cause is different

horizontalhero wrote: I think you'd have to be fairly open minded to believe Ali had Parkinsons rather than brain damage as a consequence of fighting

Ok, I'm confused, but i think i get it....

Ali's dad had Parkinsons disease and this might be hereditary.

Being punched is not good for you.

Ali Suffers from Parkinson disease (from his dad) and Parkinson Syndrome (from being punched) but at the same time he suffers from dementia pugilistica which is similar to Parkinsons Disease but more similar to Parkinsons Syndrome because its caused in the same way??

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 May 2013, 3:50 pm

When Jerry Quarry died his autopsy revealed a severe case of Dementia Pugilistica. I believe they said portions of his brain resembled a badly damaged watermelon.

Others may know better than me but I gather Quarry fought on long, long loooong after he should have, taking fights for chump change and losing to guys he'd have wiped out with ease in his hey day.

People look at fighters like Quarry and Ali and struggle to diiferentiate between the two

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 21 May 2013, 4:14 pm

Ali took too many punches and boxed on too long after all the hard yards he had put in robbed him of his ability.

His deterioration can be noted from fight to fight at the tail-end of his career. I guess Parkinsons is seen as a more acceptible face for his plight -- perhaps the idea being that it wouldn't reflect well on boxing if its greatest ever figurehead wound up punch drunk.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 21 May 2013, 4:42 pm

This is interesting on the subject about consussion as well - it relates to the wrestler Chris Benoit who killed his wife and children:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/fighttothedeath/concussions.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 21 May 2013, 5:04 pm

Thanks for posting that Adam- interesting read esp that CTE results in dementia similar to alzheimers- a condition that many boxers down the years have been diagonised with possibly wrongly. Chronic brain injury remains a bit of an elephant in the corner within the sport- acute injuries , despite the fact they are very rare, cause much hand ringing and soul searching, whereas the much greater risk is pretty much ignored. and as we have touched on it's not neccessarily a case of only effecting those that fight on for too long. it's heart breaknig seeing the likes of Meldrick Taylor now- he was perhaps the most charismatic of the school of 84 reduced to a shadow of what he was.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 21 May 2013, 5:20 pm

Been doing some toilet readiing..... pugilistic parkinsonism, pugilistic Parkinson's disease and pugilistic dementia are effectively one and the same thing.

Some people will naturally fall victim to neurodegenerative processes and associated disease such as Alzherimer's, Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis, but it would seem athletic head injury simply compound's and accelerates the the degenerative process. There's even a pugilistic Alzheimer's disease.

Had he not boxed Ali may still have fell victim to Parkinson's but what's clear is at the very least his career contributed to him developing it sooner than he would have.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Tue 21 May 2013, 7:08 pm

Ali was the cash cow, he was bigger than big and nobody, not his corner, not commission not the docs were going to let him retire. They all KNEW Ali was cooked but he was bringin em all the $$$$$$$$$. Cash rich money yo.

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 21 May 2013, 8:17 pm

DAVE667 wrote:When Jerry Quarry died his autopsy revealed a severe case of Dementia Pugilistica. I believe they said portions of his brain resembled a badly damaged watermelon.

Others may know better than me but I gather Quarry fought on long, long loooong after he should have, taking fights for chump change and losing to guys he'd have wiped out with ease in his hey day.

People look at fighters like Quarry and Ali and struggle to diiferentiate between the two

I just had a quick look on boxrec and Quarry's last fight was in 1992, when he was 47. He died aged 53.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down