The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Struggling with bodyweight exercise

4 posters

Go down

Struggling with bodyweight exercise Empty Struggling with bodyweight exercise

Post by Sweet Chin Music Tue 28 May 2013, 8:35 am

Hi There,

New to 606v2.I have been lifting weights for a while now and have progressed to some heavy (for me anyway) lifts Chest 80kg Squat 130kg and Back 78kg. but i just cant do bodyweight exercises (press-ups, chins dips ect) anyone have any tips?

Thanks

Sweet Chin Music

Back to top Go down

Struggling with bodyweight exercise Empty Re: Struggling with bodyweight exercise

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 9:11 am

Seems to be quite a common thing, guys that are strong with weights & do a lot of it, are often poor when it comes to body weight exercises, I don't know why. My advice would be simply to keep trying said exercises you will improve. Also try holding yourself in the start position with press ups & dips. With chins I did see something on youtube by a guy called Scooby, he recommended standing on a box holding the bar in the up position, bending your legs up then lowering yourself a sort of reverse of the exercise, 3 sets then try a pull up. Always worth checking youtube you can find some good stuff on body weight stuff.

Back to top Go down

Struggling with bodyweight exercise Empty Re: Struggling with bodyweight exercise

Post by Sweet Chin Music Tue 28 May 2013, 10:31 am

I really want to nail this down as im working hard for the famous v shape

Sweet Chin Music

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 May 2013, 12:08 pm

Obvious question is how much do you weigh??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 May 2013, 12:52 pm

Bodyweights are great but can be difficult to learn at first.

Press Ups - Simply do them. Start with 3 sets of ten, then look to get 30 non stop...then build up to 40..50..up to 100 which i think is a decent number.

Pull Ups - If your training with a partner, bend your knees and have your partner..."assist" your up stage. Not too much...but it just aids you to getting used to your weight...
Ive trained a few of my mates that way, and they are all up to high numbers continuous now.

Dont forget theres lots of other...Hindu Press Ups, Hindu Squats...
Youtube is a great place to find bodyweight ex's. Check out the ghetto workouts...a guy called hannibal...the guy is unreal.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 May 2013, 1:25 pm

If he's a big unit.....He won't be able to lift his bodyweight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 28 May 2013, 3:08 pm

If thats the case then use the cable machine pull up...where you sit on your knees and you can change the weight resistance. Its a similar concept.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 May 2013, 5:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If he's a big unit.....He won't be able to lift his bodyweight.

Size shouldn't come in to it unless he's a big fat unhealthy unit. I've seen plenty of guys 16st + do pull ups & with weights. Its just an excuse for a lot of big guys. Anyway he's benching 80kg so not that big. As I said in my earlier post I've seen a lot of big 'strong' guys struggle with body weight exercises, doing them is really the only way to improve on them.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 May 2013, 8:05 pm

sohotnot wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If he's a big unit.....He won't be able to lift his bodyweight.

Size shouldn't come in to it unless he's a big fat unhealthy unit. I've seen plenty of guys 16st + do pull ups & with weights. Its just an excuse for a lot of big guys. Anyway he's benching 80kg so not that big. As I said in my earlier post I've seen a lot of big 'strong' guys struggle with body weight exercises, doing them is really the only way to improve on them.

Only If they've got big enough muscles to do it..........His weights aren't that impressive which is why I'm asking.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Chin Music Tue 28 May 2013, 8:49 pm

I'm 6ft 1 and I weigh about 79-80 kilos. My weights aren't the biggest but I e only really been training for 5 months before that it was on and off

Sweet Chin Music

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 30 May 2013, 8:15 pm

Well done on keeping it going for five months man. bodyweight exercises are as much mental as anything.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down