The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bok's June Squad

5 posters

Go down

Bok's June Squad Empty Bok's June Squad

Post by MMaaxx Sat 1 Jun - 21:04

Squad just announced. Very positive reaction back home.

Unlucky: Robert Edersohn and Brussouw

Not considered due to injury: JP Pietersen, Jaco Taute, Frans Steyn, Johan Goosen, Duane Vermeulen, Pat Cilliers and Frans Malherbe

Squad:

Forwards: Lourens Adriaanse, Willem Alberts, Arno Botha, Marcell Coetzee, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Siya Kolisi, Juandre Kruger, Lappies Labuschange, Francois Louw, Tendai Mtawarara, Trevor Nyankane, Coenie Oosthuizen, Chilbioy Ralepelle, Pierre Spies, Adriaan Strauss, Flip van der Merwe.

Backs: Gio Aplon, Bjorn Basson, Juan de Jongh, Jean de Villiers, JJ Engelbrecht, Bryan Habana, Francois Hougaard, Zane Kirchener, Pat Lambie, Willie le Roux, Lwazi Mvovo, Ruan Pienaar, Jan Serfontein, Morne Steyn, Jano Vermaak.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Bok's June Squad Empty Re: Bok's June Squad

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 1 Jun - 21:07

Goosen missing out another squad through injury, is he a sick note or is it the same injury as last summer?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 2 Jun - 7:21

No last year was shoulder, then heel, this year it is a knee injury.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 2 Jun - 7:26

Thanks for doing this Max, there are a few things that concern me.

Only one fullback, Zane Kirchner, and with him you just know there will be no variation from deep, he either kicks and dhases, 20% chance of retaining posession, or he runs until tackled, 50% chance of turnover.

The nine uncapped players are unlikely to get gametime.

The other question is whether Meyer is going to be prepared to risk some expansive attack, to do that he has to include some of these youngsters, they don't have the fear of failure which the other senior players do.

One thing is certain though, if Meyer had the guts to put all the youngsters in one team, they will be damn good.

Lastly these players plying their trade and going to ply their trade overseas must go.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 3 Jun - 9:23

Problem at fullback.... just a question why is Joe Pietersen universally ignored?

He has all the skills and whilst isn't a giant he never looks like a small guy when tackling/being tackled. He plays in a very conservative team yet has attacking flair and often puts chaps like Habana in the shade.

No point even discussing Piet van Zyl.... we all know his worth and are amazed that he's not chosen.... still Meyer will probably stick Hougaard in.... Italy and Scotland will not challenge him enough and his attacking prowess will probably get him the jersey for the RC... but come the NZ & AUS tests he will again show why he isn't a 9.

Thats why tests such as these are dangerous... they make average players look better then they are.

Anyhow, whats the point of this series if Meyer isn't going to blood new players who he wants to build his RWC around? Its not going to do chaps like JDV, Steyn, Habana or Pienaar any good playing... these guys don't need more games they need less.... only more likely they get injured.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 3 Jun - 12:12

FA, Joe Petersen can't run through a wet tissue, Whenever I see him attack the gainline without space I just know a turnover is coming.

He is as useless on attack as what Kirchner is a distributor on attack.

I'll take Gio Aplon over him any day of the week.

At least he knows how to hit a gap, and has more guts than any other player I know.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 3 Jun - 12:22

I think he's better then you think... remember that try he scored earlier in the season, off the top of my head I can't remember against who but it involved a few chip kicks and a long run in... very skillful.

My point is that at worst he right up there... yet is always ignored. Coetzee values him very highly and he always starts over so called test players when their is a selection issue... and not just because of his reliable boot.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 3 Jun - 12:22

Do you guys think there will be a revert to type with players like Morne Steyn and JDV playing well? The pack is immense and scary but like you say BB the backs won't get a go and could end up safety first conservative and lacking variety. Kirchner in a way at fullback sums up the back line as a whole.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 3 Jun - 12:30

Kia, what I am hoping for is that Meyer has at least seen that the Bulls have been successful when they go wide.

It is fine if we play our power game, but you need more than power, you need to mix it with pace as well, JJ Engelbrecht and Jan Serfontein has shown that if your midfield is prepared to move wide and at pace you can find holes.

What I hope we don't do is to expect our forwards to play those 20 minutes sprint where they thunder and dominate and then needs 40 minutes to recover.

If Meyer mixes it up and instead of using our forwards as ball carriers 60% of the time (as has been the case for the BOks over the past decade) use his backs at least 50% of the time, it will help the forwards not to carr such a big load, and they can sustain their intensity for longer.

I THINK that is what he is going to do.

What he said on Boots and All the other night was his plan last year was simple, sort the forwards out and get them to execute, he spoke earlier this season about the poor execution of the SA Franchises at the breakdown, and not playing it smart there.

He then went on to explain once he is satisfied that all the basics is executed as he wants, then he can start worrying about being more creative or expansive.

In a sense I understand that, but the problem might come in if he is never satisfied with the execution at the breakdown, he might leave it too late to start being more expansive, so there needs to be a balance in his assessment on that.

The other issue is the speed at which the breakdown is cleared, that is something that needs to be addressed immediately, we all know, and he should too, that slow ball is useless, and quick ball is the only way you will catch defences out and playing at pace.

Power alone is not enough, you need pace at the clearance and pace runners on the ball.

Then I suppose I will be more patient with the creativity aspect.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 3 Jun - 12:45

Agreed BB. SA have to play to their strengths and they don't have to change a great deal. Just vary a little how they get over the advantage line and what they do with the ball when they do. Meyer is talking about change but ill believe it when I see it. Or cry as no doubt it'll be very effective.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Mon 3 Jun - 16:51

Expect the Boks to replicate the Bulls style of play especially initially or until (hopefully) a bit of a lead is in place. Then I think HM will bring on the young talent and let them cut lose in the last 20 minutes.

I'm not too worried about Zane. Any full back selected will play to instruction and if the demand is to kick they'll do it. Zane is a solid 7/10 most matches a decent finisher with the line in sight.

Looking forward to some good matches!

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by MMaaxx Tue 4 Jun - 8:06

Edersohn added to squad. Doubts surrounding fitness of JDJ, JDV.

MMaaxx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down