The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NZ Sevens coach Gordon Tietjens knighted for services to rugby

+7
Taylorman
Biltong
Geordie
Bathman_in_London
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
11 posters

Go down

NZ Sevens coach Gordon Tietjens knighted for services to rugby Empty NZ Sevens coach Gordon Tietjens knighted for services to rugby

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:05 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sevens/8747868/Super-coach-Tietjens-honoured-with-knighthood

Long-standing (over 20 years) NZ 7s team coach Gordon Tietjens was one of 5 New Zealanders to be knighted/damed in NZ's Queen's Birthday Honours list. Over his 20 years in charge the NZ 7s team has consistently been THE team to beat on the 7s circuit, while at last count 38 of his charges had gone on to make the All Blacks, including the likes of Jonah Lomu and Christian Cullen. He's been reknowned over that time for his attention to player nutrition, and for his brutally toough fitness sessions.

Well done Sir Gordon Tietjens KNZM.

1970s AB's winger & former Samoa coach Bryan Williams received a CNZ (an "upgrade" to his MBE*)

*NZ tweaked it's honours system a few years back, relabelling OBEs ans ONZs etc
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

NZ Sevens coach Gordon Tietjens knighted for services to rugby Empty Re: NZ Sevens coach Gordon Tietjens knighted for services to rugby

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:19 am

It has often been mentioned about how hard a task master "Tich" is on his players in terms of not only their fitness but also their discipline and respecting the coach.

This is somewhat different to young "Tich" when he was a player for Bay of Plenty, when they were travelling to an away game once the team stayed at a one level hotel, "Tich" somehow got hold of a horse and locked it in the coaches room.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

NZ Sevens coach Gordon Tietjens knighted for services to rugby Empty Re: NZ Sevens coach Gordon Tietjens knighted for services to rugby

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:25 am

I don't think that's the politically correct term horse nowadays Laurie. I think it's minger. Whistle

An incredible record and rightly honoured. clap

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:30 am

Whores, horse, Hore, Hookers, bloody hell Im getting confused now

Im told it was the four legged version.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:33 am

That's 2 mingers then...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:34 am

Lucky coach...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 03 Jun 2013, 11:12 am

Well done to him, he must statistically be the most successful rugby coach in the world?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 03 Jun 2013, 12:08 pm

In terms of titles won he'd definitely have to be right up there. Considering his best players often get scooped up by 15s his consistency is incredible. His knack for sporting young talent and his hard work ethic certainly helped. There was nowhere to hide on his training sessions. Except in the toilet afterwards to throw up.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 03 Jun 2013, 12:24 pm

Good luck to him...but i cant imagine being the coach of the AB's 7's team a massively difficult job...likewise the Fijian one.

Oh the AB's have taken a couple of my players...ill just pick another two off the conveyor belt of talent coming through....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 03 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

It's not just the ABs Geordie nicking his players. The Supwr franchises sponge up his players. When you look at the turnover of players over the year he's done well to hold onto continuity and shape to his team. This idea that my granny could coach the ABs or sevens teams doesn't do justice to the talent and the systems set up to produce that talent. To get that consistency in performance you need a very good coach and Tich is that good as a coach.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 03 Jun 2013, 12:41 pm

Does one make any money out of a knighthood?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 03 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm

Biltong wrote:Does one make any money out of a knighthood?

You get to take your family to Government House for dinner when you pick up your gong*. Though you have to pay your own transport costs so ...

*A mate's Dad got afternoon tea for the family when he picked up his QSM (Queen's Service medal) so I presume they spring for dinner for a knighthood.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 03 Jun 2013, 12:49 pm

I'm sure Mick Jagger made some money. That crafty old sod never misses a trick to cash in...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 03 Jun 2013, 6:15 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Good luck to him...but i cant imagine being the coach of the AB's 7's team a massively difficult job...likewise the Fijian one.

Oh the AB's have taken a couple of my players...ill just pick another two off the conveyor belt of talent coming through....

Interesting Geordie, Eric Rush said recently that if Tich ever coached Fiji at sevens it would be the end of International sevens.....No one could ever beat them,

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:11 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
Biltong wrote:Does one make any money out of a knighthood?

You get to take your family to Government House for dinner when you pick up your gong*. Though you have to pay your own transport costs so ...

*A mate's Dad got afternoon tea for the family when he picked up his QSM (Queen's Service medal) so I presume they spring for dinner for a knighthood.

Jetstar to Wellies from anywhere run at $19.00 a hop on occasion and $7.00 for the Flyer to Wellington station and a short stroll up Molesworth past the beehive to Teinakore road behind me here to Govt. house ought to do it...mind you...if it was about the money he'd be coaching the Chinese 7's side for the Olympics I hear for a price that could buy Govt house... king

(plus did you see his daughter on the newsreel... Shocked thumbsup )

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 03 Jun 2013, 8:16 pm

The amount of times that NZ have won the 7's series. If any one deserves a knight hood he does.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 03 Jun 2013, 9:22 pm

I stand corrected then gents Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 04 Jun 2013, 1:24 am

Its well known in these parts that Tietjens is a ruthless taskmaster who bases his training around supreme fitness and the 7's type of schedling.

His view is that 7's is about getting players to peak while at pace over short periods of 15 mins or so several times in a weekend, every 2-3 weeks or so, over a few months.

This is completely different to conditioning players for 80 minutes once a week for 7-8 months of the year.

High intensity over short spells have made his trainings legendary for those who have had to endure them.

4 Commonwealth golds? wasnt completely aware of that...

I recall something from the NZ Rugby awards last year and Mose Cama wasnt interviewed while on stage and when asked something about having cake for his efforts he just commented something like..."no cake...train hard...still no cake from the boss"- his downtrodden look said it all for me.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Tue 04 Jun 2013, 2:02 am

Fair play to him. NZ 7s are nearly always the team to beat to win the Cup in any round.

He's still a miserable bugger tho'. Never looks happy.

Wink

Perfectionist, I guess.
OK

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 04 Jun 2013, 6:06 am

Or maybe his exploits are never really appreciated by the over-demanding NZ public.

Hey guys, I won again.

Woah check out the ego. What do you want? A medal?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 04 Jun 2013, 7:04 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Or maybe his exploits are never really appreciated by the over-demanding NZ public.

Hey guys, I won again.

Woah check out the ego. What do you want? A medal?

And dont come back until youve got an olympic gold.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 04 Jun 2013, 8:04 am

I think I should apply for a Sirship.

Imagine me with my guttural truly Afrikaans name with a Sir in front of it.

Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 9:49 am

BB - you want to become a member of high society in the UK???

If you move to the UK get a job as a lollypop man (the ones that guides schoolkids over busy roads)... stay in the job long enough and you'll get some sort of a national honour. Crazy but true.

Sir Biltong of Sandton.... I look forward to seeing you on top billing.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 04 Jun 2013, 10:36 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:That's 2 mingers then...
Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down