The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would a combined English, Scottish and Irish team beat Wales?

+21
reallybored
Breadvan
t1000advancedprototype
thebluesmancometh
wolfball
jimmyinthewell68
Taffineastbourne
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
majesticimperialman
GunsGerms
jelly
tigertattie
The Saint
lostinwales
kiakahaaotearoa
sirBiggles
RuggerRadge2611
bluestonevedder
funnyExiledScot
Knowsit17
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Would a combined English, Scottish and Irish team beat Wales? Empty Would a combined English, Scottish and Irish team beat Wales?

Post by 123456789 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:43 pm

With so many Welsh players touring and expected to make the test side for Lions are they now better than the sum of the other three nations?

Personally I'd pick a side of:

1. Healy
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. O'Brien
7. Rennie
8. Heaslip
9. Youngs
10. Sexton
11. Maitland
12. Tuilagi
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Hogg

Back to top Go down

Would a combined English, Scottish and Irish team beat Wales? Empty Re: Would a combined English, Scottish and Irish team beat Wales?

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

What happened to us all being Lions until the tour is over? Barely two games in and already the others want to gang up and jump us in a dark alleyway!

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Would a combined English, Scottish and Irish team beat Wales? Empty Re: Would a combined English, Scottish and Irish team beat Wales?

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 06 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

Not morally.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:08 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Not morally.

Ha, great response.

I agree with Knowsit. Where's the unity? It's a little flat and simmering out if you ask me.

No doubt Wales' Lions have played excellently on tour so far, but who cleaned out the rucks and provided clean ball for them to work with? Who caught the lineout ball to spark that wonderful backs move? Who fought over the ball to force a turnover? Scotsmen, Irishmen, and Englishmen too. It's a group effort.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:11 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:No doubt Wales' Lions have played excellently on tour so far, but who cleaned out the rucks and provided clean ball for them to work with? Who caught the lineout ball to spark that wonderful backs move? Who fought over the ball to force a turnover? Scotsmen, Irishmen, and Englishmen too. It's a group effort.

clap
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:19 pm

123456789 wrote:With so many Welsh players touring and expected to make the test side for Lions are they now better than the sum of the other three nations?

Personally I'd pick a side of:

1. Healy
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. O'Brien
7. Rennie
8. Heaslip
9. Youngs
10. Sexton
11. Maitland
12. Tuilagi
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Hogg

Good question and maybe they would... but not your team, as there isnt the correct balance... I think maybe there are too many English players in it to beat Wales... about 5 too many I reckon... Change 5 of the English players for Irish or Scotish and I reckon you'll give Wales a game and maybe, only maybe mind.... Win....

...I'm off.... Run

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:23 pm

More like a Scot, two Irishmen and three Englishmen. :whistle

The OP is like a representation of the Lions concept as a whole. Can an established test side be beaten by a composite side not used to playing alongside each other? It's a legitimate question. The team you selected Radge is a good one. My concern would be how would they differ in their gameplan. They look similar sides in that respect.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:25 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:More like a Scot, two Irishmen and three Englishmen. :whistle

The OP is like a representation of the Lions concept as a whole. Can an established test side be beaten by a composite side not used to playing alongside each other? It's a legitimate question. The team you selected Radge is a good one. My concern would be how would they differ in their gameplan. They look similar sides in that respect.

I didnae select a team dude. Can't take credit for the one in the OP I'm afraid OK
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:26 pm

My apologies Radge and Rain man.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:44 pm

sirBiggles wrote:
Good question and maybe they would... but not your team, as there isnt the correct balance... I think maybe there are too many English players in it to beat Wales... about 5 too many I reckon... Change 5 of the English players for Irish or Scotish and I reckon you'll give Wales a game and maybe, only maybe mind.... Win....

...I'm off.... Would a combined English, Scottish and Irish team beat Wales? 2211252749

Which side are you taking the English players from....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:46 pm

In a simple word, no.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:47 pm

WUM anyone?

I say Scotland, Ireland and England can all individually beat Wales! We'll need tp be waiting for the next 6N's though to see!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:50 pm

tigertattie wrote:WUM anyone?

I say Scotland, Ireland and England can all individually beat Wales! We'll need tp be waiting for the next 6N's though to see!

Laugh Now who's the WUM.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 06 Jun 2013, 4:54 pm

I'm already looking forward to it!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:09 pm

Just pick the Irish team that beat Wales the last time they played each other. Job done.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:14 pm

Exactly Jelly. Why would Ireland need the Scots and the English when the records show they can beat Wales in Cardiff by themselves.

...playing sexy rugby too BTW.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:16 pm

Have Wales become the most unbeatable team on the planet or some thing?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:17 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Have Wales become the most unbeatable team on the planetnorthern hemisphere or some thing?

Fixed that for you Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Have Wales become the most unbeatable team on the planetnorthern hemisphere (excluding v Ireland) or some thing?

Fixed that for you Wink

Fixed that for you.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:22 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Have Wales become the most unbeatable team on the planetnorthern hemisphere (excluding v Ireland) or some thing?

Fixed that for you Wink

Fixed that for you.

Laugh Nice one.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:22 pm

Don't ask a Scot.They can hardly remember the last time that they beat us.Not sure if any of their current side have managed it yet!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:23 pm

Poster starts a thread with a contentious statement, and then never returns. Always a sign.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:23 pm

can Wales have Italy and France on our side too

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:51 pm

The Saint wrote:

Laugh Now who's the WUM.

Wales 22 - 30 Ireland... The amount of Welsh children polluting these boards since the Lions began is unreal. Its so difficult to bounce around and read the opinions of posters who actually talk sense, and my banned list is growing daily...

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:25 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Have Wales become the most unbeatable team on the planetnorthern hemisphere or some thing?

Fixed that for you Wink

Thanks for that. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:58 pm

Fixed that for you Wink

Why not? One loss in the last two 6N's is less than anyone else so technically does that not make us (for the time being) the "most unbeatable" side? Of course as far as I know there is no such thing as being the most unbeatable, either you're beatable or you're not, but I'll humour your terminology Wink

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:33 pm

wolfball wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Laugh Now who's the WUM.

Wales 22 - 30 Ireland... The amount of Welsh children polluting these boards since the Lions began is unreal. Its so difficult to bounce around and read the opinions of posters who actually talk sense, and my banned list is growing daily...

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Hook, line and sink! And I wasn't even trying.
Very Happy

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:03 pm

The Saint wrote:
wolfball wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Laugh Now who's the WUM.

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Hook, line and sink! And I wasn't even trying.
Very Happy

Sadly wolf I have to agree, but I doubt certain 'Welsh' posters are Welsh as they tend to try to make most see them )and the rest of us) in a bad light!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:14 pm

There's a surprise bluesman, a group of posters start slagging off the Welsh and you complain about the Welsh standing up for themselves... Like I said I was not serious and I thought posters could see that. But just look, we have an anti-wales WUM (though fairly amusing) started by a Scot, then other posters come on in and start slating Wales as if we had claimed we are the most unbeatable team in the world as someone put it? Quite baffling, but it has been going on for a while.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm

The Saint wrote:There's a surprise bluesman, a group of posters start slagging off the Welsh and you complain about the Welsh standing up for themselves... Like I said I was not serious and I thought posters could see that. But just look, we have an anti-wales WUM (though fairly amusing) started by a Scot, then other posters come on in and start slating Wales as if we had claimed we are the most unbeatable team in the world as someone put it? Quite baffling, but it has been going on for a while.

It has been going on for a while, but with certain posters determined to keep the issue going, keep the arrogant act up and hell bent on insighting every non welsh poster it's not surprising.

Tell me Saint, where are you from really?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:21 pm

Haters gon' hate, so why not give them something to hate.... More laughs for me that way.
I'm really from Newport and I always have been.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:25 pm

A combined Ire/Eng/Scot wouldn't beat Wales but Ireland alone would.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:30 pm

t1000advancedprototype wrote:A combined Ire/Eng/Scot wouldn't beat Wales but Ireland alone would.

Come on they got lucky in that game because of Wales' wrong selections and the team not switching on... It should have been our fourth W on the trot against them Whistle... We'll invade Dublin next year and get revenge.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 06 Jun 2013, 9:41 pm

The Saint wrote:Haters gon' hate, so why not give them something to hate.... More laughs for me that way.

The problem is mate your 'laughs' are causing problems, derailing threads and generally making the Welsh look like a load of plums OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:18 pm

The Saint wrote:There's a surprise bluesman, a group of posters start slagging off the Welsh and you complain about the Welsh standing up for themselves... Like I said I was not serious and I thought posters could see that. But just look, we have an anti-wales WUM (though fairly amusing) started by a Scot, then other posters come on in and start slating Wales as if we had claimed we are the most unbeatable team in the world as someone put it? Quite baffling, but it has been going on for a while.

Because morg/mikeyphilxxii/WLG ever since 16th March you and the usual suspects HAVE been claiming you're world beaters and the lions should be 15 welsh strong. I'm all for banter but learn some humility eh?
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:22 pm

Breadvan wrote:

Because morg/mikeyphilxxii/WLG ever since 16th March you and the usual suspects HAVE been claiming you're world beaters and the lions should be 15 welsh strong. I'm all for banter but learn some humility eh?

Hmmm, I'd seriously like you to back up these claims? Because outside of T100 I can't imagine who would post such things. Though you English lot usually like to spout that in spite of it not actually being said anyway. Sigh.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:24 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
The Saint wrote:Haters gon' hate, so why not give them something to hate.... More laughs for me that way.

The problem is mate your 'laughs' are causing problems, derailing threads and generally making the Welsh look like a load of plums OK

I don't think they are and besides that I haven't really posted anything naughty apart from this evening after Wales started receiving unprovoked flak. If people want to generalise that's not really my problem.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:25 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

You do that on your own bluesman.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:31 pm

The Saint wrote:
Breadvan wrote:

Hmmm, I'd seriously like you to back up these claims? Because outside of T100 I can't imagine who would post such things. Though you English lot usually like to spout that in spite of it not actually being said anyway. Sigh.

Subtle digs saint. Your the goddam master...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:44 pm

Breadvan wrote:
The Saint wrote:
Breadvan wrote:

Subtle digs saint. Your the goddam master...

I actually don't think my team Wales are that good. I love the fact we've won 4 tournaments since the Six Nations began, that is pretty decent, but I haven't forgotten all the pasting's we've got over this period. Like the other NH teams we aren't consistent enough to be the best. Until all the fundamental flaws in our development pathways are sorted we don't stand a chance of getting much better. That said I am pleased that we are developing a lot more good players than in the past. But this is for another thread. The topic is could a combined Ire/Sco/Eng team beat the 2012/2013 Championship winners. Without any warm-up games then certainly not.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:50 pm

What "things" have I posted?

Examples please.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:54 pm

I was just using my imagination, as I could only imagine you claiming Wales are the best team in the world.
That accusation by Breadvan turned out to be the usual lies so it's irrelevant now.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:17 pm

can gats pick the England Irish and Scots team .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:32 pm

What a stupid article.

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Fri 07 Jun 2013, 12:32 am

Wales have had a great decade but it comes and goes.

Your front-five is aging and there doesn't seem to much quality depth in this department.

I'd say the Northern Hemisphere are beginning to get their pathways in shape, the number of young guys in the Lions squad is testament to that. Will be interesting to see who the next decade belongs to, England?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:48 am

lostinwales wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:

...I'm off.... Would a combined English, Scottish and Irish team beat Wales? 2211252749

Which side are you taking the English players from....

If you had quoted me fully and not partially, you would have seen I referred to the team named by the OP in his WUM.

Namely...

1. Healy
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. O'Brien
7. Rennie
8. Heaslip
9. Youngs
10. Sexton
11. Maitland
12. Tuilagi
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Hogg

However, it looks like I miscounted, and should have said 4 ... which was my bad Whistle

Cant get over how much response this weak WUM got though.... Erm

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Jun 2013, 6:01 am

reallybored wrote:Wales have had a great decade but it comes and goes.

Your front-five is aging and there doesn't seem to much quality depth in this department.

I'd say the Northern Hemisphere are beginning to get their pathways in shape, the number of young guys in the Lions squad is testament to that. Will be interesting to see who the next decade belongs to, England?

Gethin Jenkins and Adam Jones are in their early thirties but Hibbard and Owens arent. Wales are working very hard on their depth in the front row. It is a fact that they have more depth there than the rest of the home nations. Young too, players like Sampson Lee who is 20 years old and about fifth choice at Tighthead look superb finds.

Regarding the ages if home nations teams, Wales are still the youngest average age in the six nations. The familiar players might have been around a few seasons but they are very young.

It has been a good decade and we are starting to prove ourselves as Six nations champions more and more regularly.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Fri 07 Jun 2013, 7:50 am

Didn't Ireland beat Wales last time they played?

Enjoy success while you can but Wales haven't pushed on to beat SH sides as Gatland always hoped for.

England & France have the best depth of all the 6Ns but that isn't surprising given the strength & numbers in their respective leagues.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:37 am

The Saint wrote:I was just using my imagination, as I could only imagine you claiming Wales are the best team in the world.
That accusation by Breadvan turned out to be the usual lies so it's irrelevant now.

Usual lies? A dagger to my heart saint.... Sad
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Fri 07 Jun 2013, 12:36 pm

I seem to recall Ireland giving Wales a bit of a thumping not very long ago...

But no... obviously all of the Wales squad are so much better than everyone else and World Beaters. They can beat anyone.

Oh apart from Australia.

8 times.

Bugger.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next