The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much is this year's FO title worth?

+13
hawkeye
LuvSports!
Born Slippy
summerblues
socal1976
The Special Juan
_homogenised_
invisiblecoolers
bogbrush
kingraf
Henman Bill
User 774433
JuliusHMarx
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How much is this year's FO title worth? - Page 3 Empty How much is this year's FO title worth?

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:23 am

First topic message reminder :

I can't help myself.

There is a much-touted idea that if you play a lesser player* in a GS final, then that GS is somehow not worth a 'proper' or 'full' slam.
Now that Rafa is playing someone who has never been in a GS final before, never been a top 3 player and only won 1 Masters title, how much is this year's FO title worth? 0.87 of a slam? 0.76 of a slam?

Me, I say, it's like all the others - it's worth exactly 1 slam.

* such as Hewitt, Safin or Roddick

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

How much is this year's FO title worth? - Page 3 Empty Re: How much is this year's FO title worth?

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:55 am

LuvSports! wrote:Nope... IC you've lost me on this one.

Something about...... cheese?

Thx to JHM we had a complete humorous yet crap thread, and I am doing my best in it. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

How much is this year's FO title worth? - Page 3 Empty Re: How much is this year's FO title worth?

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:56 am

Red wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:A truth is only forgotten if most people don't consider it important.
It still remains the truth.
And what is not considered not important, may indeed be very important.

Perhaps, but on average?
And are the other GS finalists in '69 'very important'?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:01 pm

No it was important only till Dec 68 thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:32 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Red wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:A truth is only forgotten if most people don't consider it important.
It still remains the truth.
And what is not considered not important, may indeed be very important.

Perhaps, but on average?
And are the other GS finalists in '69 'very important'?
Yeah, sure they are.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:44 pm

JuliusHMarx.

Rafa will be relieved to know when he enters Wimbledon this year as the number 5 seed (I think this is correct because Ferrer is inRG final?) and beats Djokovic in an epic 5 set match in the quarters and Federer in another epic 5 set match in the semi's... But then triple bagels Mahut in the final you will still count it as a slam win.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:25 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I can't help myself.

There is a much-touted idea that if you play a lesser player* in a GS final, then that GS is somehow not worth a 'proper' or 'full' slam.
Now that Rafa is playing someone who has never been in a GS final before, never been a top 3 player and only won 1 Masters title, how much is this year's FO title worth? 0.87 of a slam? 0.76 of a slam?

Me, I say, it's like all the others - it's worth exactly 1 slam.

* such as Hewitt, Safin or Roddick

"A lesser player".. ??? Ferrer is ranked above Rafa
In which case every slam that Federer has won has been against a "lesser" player if Im to believe his fans.
A slam is a slam Julius. Nobody devalued the FO when Federer won it albeit he never beat the King of Clay
He played and beat the man who was across the other side of the net. The choice was not of his making
All the more credit should go to Ferrer for reaching the final of a GS without losing a set.
You really dont like the little man do you Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:27 pm

That's exactly my point H-N. I agree entirely. A slam is a slam. But a number of posters have stated, for example, that because many of Federer's slam finals were only against Hewitt or Roddick, not Rafa or Djoko, they somehow aren't worth as much. It's not a theory I subscribe to myself.
I'm actually defending this year's FO (and Rafa, should he win it) against such views.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:34 pm

thumbsup
JuliusHMarx wrote:That's exactly my point H-N. I agree entirely. A slam is a slam. But a number of posters have stated, for example, that because many of Federer's slam finals were only against Hewitt or Roddick, not Rafa or Djoko, they somehow aren't worth as much. It's not a theory I subscribe to myself.
I'm actually defending this year's FO (and Rafa, should he win it) against such views.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:42 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:That's exactly my point H-N. I agree entirely. A slam is a slam. But a number of posters have stated, for example, that because many of Federer's slam finals were only against Hewitt or Roddick, not Rafa or Djoko, they somehow aren't worth as much. It's not a theory I subscribe to myself.

Nope I am in the camp that a slam win is a slam win. All each entering player can do is beat the players in front of him and that wins him a slam. It is why the lion's share of people rate GOAT by slam win count.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:44 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:A slam is a slam.
Right, almost for the millionth time you've totally misunderstood what everyone is saying, and are then arguing against a non-existent twisted argument.
Of course a slam is a slam, what else can it be lol

Read Born Slippy's post from earlier, if you actually want to understand what people are saying.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:50 pm

I think there is too much IRONY on the boards of late Julius.
Who was it on BBC606 ... his name escapes me.. who´s replies were all somewhat amiguous and when challenged he would say "Irony my dear (whoever) Irony"

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:58 pm

OP = 1

T'is ok JHM, I know you're being ironic Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 pm

lydian wrote:
T'is ok JHM, I know you're being ironic Wink
I think we all figured that by now Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:08 pm

I wonder if Wimb would also go with the risk of having what is effectively a championship match in the quarters by placing Nadal as 5th seed? To place Ferrer above Nadal on grass would be truly ridiculous.

Red, thanks for the smart Alec comment, if you hadn't noticed I've just started posting again this morning and have just read this thread so stated my opinion. I said 'I know' not 'we know'c
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:12 pm

No, I know you know; I was just clearing up that I know too.

I wrote my post @10:44, and it can be interpreted in two ways- and I just wanted to clear up that I understood the irony of the article.

Basically I was trying to say that without the badly worded explanation here, but I couldn't really.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:49 pm

lydian wrote:I wonder if Wimb would also go with the risk of having what is effectively a championship match in the quarters by placing Nadal as 5th seed? To place Ferrer above Nadal on grass would be truly ridiculous.

Red, thanks for the smart Alec comment, if you hadn't noticed I've just started posting again this morning and have just read this thread so stated my opinion. I said 'I know' not 'we know'c
There are simply no grounds whatsoever for promoting Nadal's seeding. Even on Wimbledon's modified system there's no basis.

We should remember how the system of obeying went in because of clay courters complaining they got no seeding protection and were all dumped out early. Many of them were Spanish.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:57 pm

bogbrush wrote:
lydian wrote:I wonder if Wimb would also go with the risk of having what is effectively a championship match in the quarters by placing Nadal as 5th seed? To place Ferrer above Nadal on grass would be truly ridiculous.

There are simply no grounds whatsoever for promoting Nadal's seeding. Even on Wimbledon's modified system there's no basis.

We should remember how the system of obeying went in because of clay courters complaining they got no seeding protection and were all dumped out early. Many of them were Spanish.

Exactly BB.

If Rafael Nadal is good enough he will win Wimbledon regardless of where he is seeded. He will be ranked fifth because that is where the ranking system places him so there can't really be any complaints can there?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:47 pm

It will still carry weight because at the end of the day it is a slam. It is not Nadal's fault he will be playing Ferrer. You can only play who is in front of you. The semi was the de facto final. To me if Nadal crushed Ferrer in the semis and played yesterday's match in the championship match it is the same thing. It was reversed.

Federer won vs Soderling who was not a top 3 and had never won a masters event either. It was still a win. You would like to say a player beat the best to win but sometimes it does not work out.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:46 pm

bogbrush wrote:

Are you crazy? Of course there are grounds. No way can there be a Nadal/Federer quarter at Wimbledon. That would be just plain wrong...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:39 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:

Nope I am in the camp that a slam win is a slam win. All each entering player can do is beat the players in front of him and that wins him a slam. It is why the lion's share of people rate GOAT by slam win count.

CC I think we've always agreed on the slam win is a slam win issue.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 am

Red wrote:
Right, almost for the millionth time you've totally misunderstood what everyone is saying, and are then arguing against a non-existent twisted argument.

Read Born Slippy's post from earlier, if you actually want to understand what people are saying.

Read my posts from earlier if you actually want to understand what I'm saying. However, I'm not sure you do - I think you just want to argue regardless.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:48 am

It's a shame when the value of irony is dissipated because people just can't get it.

We started with nudges and winks, and now it's reduced to explaining it in words of one syllable, with pictures.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:50 am

hawkeye wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Are you crazy? Of course there are grounds. No way can there be a Nadal/Federer quarter at Wimbledon. That would be just plain wrong...
No, I'm not crazy.

Go ahead and explain, using logical principles you can sustain as policy, why that should happen.

This should be fun.......
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:56 am

I understand the irony of the article, that's the point. It's a bit of a wind-up tbh.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:20 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Red wrote:

Read my posts from earlier if you actually want to understand what I'm saying. However, I'm not sure you do - I think you just want to argue regardless.

Did you read my explanation for that Red, I convincingly proved that theorem was wrong, just to repeat it was easy for Tsonga to beat a big legendary name in Fed [1 time winner and 5 time finalist and 17 time GS champ] than beating a slam final less Ferrer.

So for instance if Gulbis would have reached the finals, he would have worked harder in beating Ferrer at this form than Tsonga beating Federer at this form. Every slam throws opponents like this, its just biased view means people tend to devaluate some one else success. thumbsup .

The simplest word I word say is Jealousy on some one success makes other less credit their success than accepting the reality that they went there and did it.

Del Potro's USO 2009 was no wonder difficult, but to say Gaudio's FO was a fluke and not difficult makes no sense. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3