The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Injury Watch: Updated: Roberts latest casualty, but may be ok for first test

+19
yappysnap
prop_lyd
Rory_Gallagher
Cyril
Mr Bounce
jimmyinthewell68
majesticimperialman
LondonTiger
madmaccas
lostinwales
wales606
gleesonisgod
Cari
Duty281
ChequeredJersey
BamBam
red_stag
littlejohn
23 posters

Go down

Lions Injury Watch: Updated: Roberts latest casualty, but may be ok for first test Empty Lions Injury Watch: Updated: Roberts latest casualty, but may be ok for first test

Post by littlejohn Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:02 am

I'm beginning to see logic in Robbie Deans taking his players out of the S15 and club games v Lions. Seems we have a couple Lions players dropping out per week, with Bowe likely also flying home early with Bowe missing the at least the first test, adding to the casualty list:

Early Summer Holiday:
Jenkins
Healy

Looking Dodge but still in contention for first test
Roberts
North
BOD

May make second test or later
Bowe

Recovered
Kearney

Last edited by littlejohn on Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:46 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Injury update)

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Lions Injury Watch: Updated: Roberts latest casualty, but may be ok for first test Empty Re: Lions Injury Watch: Updated: Roberts latest casualty, but may be ok for first test

Post by red_stag Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:02 am

Either Wade or Zebo.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Lions Injury Watch: Updated: Roberts latest casualty, but may be ok for first test Empty Re: Lions Injury Watch: Updated: Roberts latest casualty, but may be ok for first test

Post by BamBam Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:05 am

What happened to Phillips??

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:09 am

Notice the number of Lions recently returned from injury now having injury issues.

Best of luck to them on recovery, but this was always a risk in this squad
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22827489

The injuries piling up now.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:24 am

BamBam wrote:What happened to Phillips??

His knee has flared up and was kept out of training a bit this week - heard it on talksport. Fingers crossed its just precautionary. Might need to add Tuilagi to the list as he banged up his shoulder during the reds game...

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:24 am

Absolutely gutted for Tommy because he's worked so hard to recover from his injury (and subsequent operation) last December to put himself in contention for the Lions in the first instance. It really meant a lot to him to be picked, and he wanted to be part of the team that won this series. However, from a fans point of view I was weary of him going anyway because I thought this tour would take its toll on him by the end of it. I was hoping that with so many player options, he wouldn't start games that much. I hope that this is a case of a bad thing happening for a good reason in the long run. Hopefully he come back at the start of next season fighting fit and raring to go again. If he does need an operation on his hand, it'll be his third op since April 2012. That 's crap for any player. I wish him all the luck in the world with his recovery.

As for his replacement, well... Zebo, Trimble or Visser would be my suggestions.

Any news on Tuilagi by the way? Looked like a serious shoulder injury when he was coming off?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:26 am

I think it should be Wade, the idea of him on the hard grounds is incredible.

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:28 am

Tuilagi is apparently fine ... just a 'stinger'.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:31 am

Visser is having a mare defensively at the moment

Zebo must be favourite if they need another winger
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:37 am

Zebo must be the best bet as long as hes on form - but what of the chances of them picking Ashton? - Can you imagine what this place will be like....

An outside bet might be Foden. I dont think Wade has enough experience yet

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 am

Would imagine it'll be one of these guys.

Visser was very unlucky not to tour. Top try scorer in the Rabo for the last 4 years running and has scored 6 tries in just 10 games for Scotland. The best finisher in the N. hemisphere but question marks remain over his defence.

Zebo would be a good bolter choice. Very exciting young talent but hasn't had a chance to push on following the great game against Wales due to injury. He was however said to be very unlucky not to tour by Gatland so will probably be the favourite to replace Bowe.

Ashton is the player fans love to hate but has a great scoring record. Unfortunately he's had a very off colour season and would be an outside bet at best.

Wade is talented attacker but probably too much of an unknown quantity for the coaches. Plus Gatland doesn't tend to favour small winger (Shane the exception to the rule).

Trimble could be in with a shout but hasn't had the biggest season with few chances to impress having not played for Ireland since the Autumn.

Last edited by madmaccas on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:41 am

This must give Maitland a great chance to start now. Cuthburt doesn't seem to have found his 6N form and North is a cert.

Shame to have lost Bowe - well its pretty much confirmed now - he was looking very sharp.

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:44 am

With Gatland/Howley/Farrell preferring big wingers only his defence counts against Visser. Trimble really could be a good outside bet.

Sean Lamont is pretty big as well. Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:45 am

How is Tualaghi doing? Did he not go off with a shoulder injury?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:55 am

what about liam Williams covering full back and wing

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:59 am

majesticimperialman wrote:How is Tualaghi doing? Did he not go off with a shoulder injury?

From BBC Sport:

Gatland played down concerns over centre Manu Tuilagi, who came off after just 20 minutes at the Suncorp Stadium. "He is fine. He just got a bit of a 'stinger' [in his shoulder]," he said. "He lost a bit of feeling in his arm, but it is coming back."

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:00 am

If Ashton gets called up I am not going to watch. If Visser's defensively dodgy, what the hell is Ashton? If it's between these two then Visser by miles.

I would think Zebo has to be in the mix too.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:04 am

Mr Bounce wrote:If Ashton gets called up I am not going to watch. If Visser's defensively dodgy, what the hell is Ashton? If it's between these two then Visser by miles.

If Ashton got called up, they'd have to be barrel scraping...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:07 am

Cari wrote:
Mr Bounce wrote:If Ashton gets called up I am not going to watch. If Visser's defensively dodgy, what the hell is Ashton? If it's between these two then Visser by miles.

No winger's defence is currently as bad as Cuthbert's though. He is a dreadful defender.

Zebo or Wade. No doubt Gatland will go for a bosh merchant though.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:08 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Cari wrote:

No winger's defence is currently as bad as Cuthbert's though. He is a dreadful defender.

Ashton's is pretty close...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:09 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Cari wrote:

Ashton's is pretty close...

Ashton's is worse
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:09 am

Andrew Trimble.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:10 am

Apparently Bowe coming home was confirmed after the Scotland game? (I wasn't watching it...)

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:00 am

Could Mike Brown come into the equation?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by prop_lyd Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:40 am

I feel Brown would only go out if there was an injury to a fullback, think he'd be lost on the wing against Australia personally
prop_lyd
prop_lyd

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:24 am

prop_lyd wrote:I feel Brown would only go out if there was an injury to a fullback, think he'd be lost on the wing against Australia personally

This is true
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:36 am

Here, what's the latest on Chilli? I heard he may be coming home, but nothing since...good news...?

Ulster Rugby saying that the Lions Press Office haven't confirmed anything on the Bowe injury, although the IRFU have on their site. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:05 am

Read a couple of days ago that Brown was next on the list if Kearney went down injured (not sure how true that was though, it was on Twitter). So he could potentially go now if they feel they don't need another wing and there are still worries about Kearney.

But to be honest I expect a 10 cover to go out, depressingly Hook but I hope Madigan.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:06 am

I'd rather Brown stayed with England
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:07 am

I can't see Hook getting picked anyway, but would he be allowed when he's already played against the Lions?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:11 am

Cari wrote:I can't see Hook getting picked anyway, but would he be allowed when he's already played against the Lions?

Why is that a problem?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:13 am

I'm not saying it's a problem, I'm just not sure it's been done before - someone playing against the Lions then playing for them on the same tour - I may be wrong.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:15 am

At least the Ospreys are not picking up the cost to Bowes injury again. Shame Bowe is injured great player, I don't think we need cover for wing, 1/2 Penny is probablly the best wing avvailable, I would bring in Bryne as FB cover or even Hook also covering 10.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 am

Not sure who will go but prober boy zebo

One thing I would like to point out is vissers defence is not nearly as bad as being mentioned.

The last 3 6 nations game he did not miss a tackle and actually was very strong in defence.

Strange how media words become gospel

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:17 pm

So Zebo is over and by picking an out and out winger to replace Bowe this has confirmed one big thing - Gatland and co are acknowledge depth/form at wing is a problem and 14 has been the weak spot in terms of form.

North needs to be wrapped in wool and Zebo could end up a real bolter if he starts mid-week!

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:26 pm

If Bowe is injured in the first test don't be surprised if Tuilagi is on the wing with North. Gatland wouldn't wanna risk Cuthbert's defence and imagine those wings coming in looking for work.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:28 pm

The word now is that Bowe could be back in 2 weeks for the tests against Australia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22827489

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Yay! I knew it! The media jumped on Gatland's post match interview yesterday and started saying Tommy was coming home for definite - even the IRFU said so. Ulster wouldn't confirm it though because they said the Lions Press Office wouldn't comment on it yet. Apparently T's had a minor op to reset a fracture or something in his hand. Hopefully it's not as bad as we feared. Fingers Crossed

Good news for Zebo though, and I hope he enjoys the tour.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by littlejohn Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:46 am

Roberts didn't look happy coming off against Waratahs - Fingers crossed its only a minor knock. 

Anyone know the situation on George North? Are they just wrapping him in cotton wool for the first test?

littlejohn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down