The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference!

+10
noleisthebest
rafanumberonefan
denzilsmom
I AM AWESOME
cats_r_cool
Wooffie
AFCWomble42
rafandready
Haddie-nuff
socal1976
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference! - Page 2 Empty Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference!

Post by socal1976 Mon 09 May 2011, 9:29 am

First topic message reminder :

The Spaniard added: "The world No 1 ranking is not in danger – it's finished. Let's not lie to ourselves, that's the reality. Nobody likes to lose. I have to see what's missing and work with a cool, open mind to decipher things and find the solutions." )

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/djokovic-stuns-clay-master-nadal-to-take-madrid-crown-2281303.html

Nadal has always been very humble, but this seems beyond the pale it is as if he is conceding that he can not retain the #1 ranking this year. Personally, I am novak fan and even I am not this negative on Rafa's chances. This is a guy who earlier in the year had a chance to win his 4th straight grandslam in Australia. I hope Novak does get the #1, and certainly at this stage unless he gets injured or goes into a monstrous slump he probably will get at least a few weeks at #1 at some stage of the season, and quite possibly more. Is Rafa being too humble? Has Novak gotten in his head a little? I still feel that Rafa can win RG and wimby play well the rest of the year and retain the number #1. With 3 grandslams left to play this seems like a very negative outlook in my mind. I hope Novak takes it, but this quote is really unusual to me. Not your standard cliched response to a tough reporter's question, it signals a bit at despondency and a shaken sense of belief. I hope not, because I think Rafa is maybe getting to down on himself after this loss.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference! - Page 2 Empty Re: Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference!

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 10 May 2011, 3:36 pm

He is 30 very soon

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference! - Page 2 Empty Re: Shocking quote from Nadal in the press conference!

Post by I AM AWESOME Tue 10 May 2011, 3:53 pm

Tenez wrote:But the problem for Fed in Madrid, especially against Nadal, is the high topspin. So even though it was fast, it made the timing on his BH harder than on lower bounce.

I agree with Federer having till 32 to win GS and I am one of the few who thinks his game is , overall, better than in 2007. But the problem he has with age, and yes already at 28/29 is that it is harder to recover from the previous day match.

This is is why he has lost quite a few finals recently, especially after having played tough matches versus Djoko in the semis.
Bro, you really think his game has improved since 2007? Shocked

I AM AWESOME

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 10 May 2011, 4:08 pm

Yes. I certainly do....even if it is a difficult concept to understand for most tennis fans.

Nadal losing versus Djoko doesn't mean Nadal didn't play better than in 2008. The game is constantly evolving. If Federer had stuck to his 2007 level, he would have no chance versus today's Nadal and Djokovic.

Nadal has greatly improved since 2007 and so has Murray and Djoko and the rest of the tour....bar guys like Ferrero or Nalbandian maybe.

He has lost a bit of his footwork but he gained in quite a few other departments.

If you look at the way he played in that o2 where he beat them all just a few months ago, it was a better performance than any of the tight matches he had versus Ljubicic in Miami 2006 finals for instance.

What people do not realise is that in 2007 he was winning everything but against guys like Ljubo Kiefer, Hewitt etc.....like he does nowadays to be honest, but today he is faced with 2 players that really put the physical bar much higher than it ever was in 2007.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 10 May 2011, 4:15 pm

Tenez wrote:Hi laverfan - So you are a member here. Good.

Federer has one of the worst 5 setter record in history..if I rmember correctly...but strangely enough is the only one that beat Nadal (the best in the history in that department) over 5 sets as far as I remember. So what to draw from those stats? ....as usual not much.

This is the closest I have found to a concise 5-set record of players. Tsonga leads 5-1. Rafa is 14-3. Federer is 18-14.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=335267

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 10 May 2011, 4:21 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Oh dear Oh dear... how many times have I been called a Nadal fan...??? and Im proud of it.. where is the stigma in that. Im sorry that you think being a fan of Federer has a stigma attached.. he would be pleased.
No stigma is being attached your fandom of Rafa or any other player. ;-).
"keep your fears for Federer..." does leave room for misinterpretation though. Erm

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 10 May 2011, 4:38 pm

Laverfan get over yourself ... misinterpretations on forums are abound or have you not noticed.. I cant believe anyone would suggest for one single minute there is a stigma attatched to being called a Federer or Nadal fan... and the latter remark was not addressed to you.. it was made in response to someone else´s comment so I do not need to explain myself to you. Move on

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 4:45 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Laverfan get over yourself ... misinterpretations on forums are abound or have you not noticed.. I cant believe anyone would suggest for one single minute there is a stigma attatched to being called a Federer or Nadal fan... and the latter remark was not addressed to you.. it was made in response to someone else´s comment so I do not need to explain myself to you. Move on

Haddie,

Can i please request that you drop your attitude?

Tenez and Laverfan have done nothing but comment on the article and make points. Regardless of your views on Nadal, Federer or Djokovic; or the posters for that matter, there is no reason for your hostile responses.

Site Rules wrote:1) Follow the Golden Rule and treat others as you would like to be treated!

Tenez and Laverfan have responded to your questions respectfully, please do the same.

Regards,

KB

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 10 May 2011, 4:50 pm

I have to say I find it pretty amazing that Tenez believes Fed is better than 2007 fed, I agree with his point that the competition has gotten stronger, after all Nadal, Djoko, Murray, and Del Po were no where near their primes yet and players like Ljubi, Roddick, and Davy were in the top 5. Good players but not top 5 credentialed type guys in my opinion.

For me the biggest loss fed has had is in the footspeed department which has also hampered his abilities to hit his forehand as effectively. That loss of half a step has affected both the offense and defense in his game. To hit winners you not only have to take a good cut but you have to get to the ball in time. It is also very important for a player like Fed who likes to run around the forehand as much as he does to give him time to run around. Not to mention that loss of half a step has made his tactic of relying on the slice backhand to confuse his opponents less effective. Now when his opponents come up with a meaty response to the slice backhand fed doesn't quite have the blazing speed to hit as many great passing shots as he used to. He is still quick, but that half step of speed and movement makes a big difference.

I also think that Fed has lost his aura of invicibility at least against the top guys. Tennis is one of the most psychological of all sports, and most players from 04-07 went into the match feeling as if they had no chance at all. These two areas have been the biggest drop offs in my mind

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 10 May 2011, 4:56 pm

King Beer wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Laverfan get over yourself ... misinterpretations on forums are abound or have you not noticed.. I cant believe anyone would suggest for one single minute there is a stigma attatched to being called a Federer or Nadal fan... and the latter remark was not addressed to you.. it was made in response to someone else´s comment so I do not need to explain myself to you. Move on

Haddie,

Can i please request that you drop your attitude?

Tenez and Laverfan have done nothing but comment on the article and make points. Regardless of your views on Nadal, Federer or Djokovic; or the posters for that matter, there is no reason for your hostile responses.

Site Rules wrote:1) Follow the Golden Rule and treat others as you would like to be treated!

Tenez and Laverfan have responded to your questions respectfully, please do the same.

Regards,

KB

That is blatantly untrue... re read through this thread I was accused of attatching stigma to someone because I called them a Fed fan... and frankly that is unfair if uyou think that is not a hostile response what is.. the conversation went from there because Laverfan chose to gang up on me because I responded to Tenez. If you are going to Moderate at least be fair about it.

Strange how the tone of 606v2 has changed in the last couple of days I wonder why

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 5:03 pm

Haddie,

I've been monitoring this thread and the Tennis board along with other members of the Admin team and the only posts i can see that have been breaking site rules have been yours.

I have politely asked you on 3 seperate occasions now to review your behaviour and you have yet to do so. I appreciate there is some 'history' between certain posters but people on v2 get a clean slate and i would expect them to be given an oppurtunity to settle in rather than treated with disdain.

This is the last time i want to have to bring this up. We are all adults here and i would expect people to treat each other and their opinions like such. If you feel a post is abusive or breaks site rules then please report it in the correct manner.

Thanks,

KB

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 10 May 2011, 5:12 pm

HN...

"the conversation went from there because Laverfan chose to gang up on me"

My apologies if you felt I was 'ganging' up on you. There was no intent or ambiguity in my responses afaik.

Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2