The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray Wants The Killer Quarter At Wimbledon

+16
banbrotam
YvonneT
Johnyjeep
JubbaIsle
Born Slippy
Danny_1982
bogbrush
carrieg4
laverfan
lydian
break_in_the_fifth
barrystar
The Special Juan
JuliusHMarx
CaledonianCraig
hawkeye
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Murray Wants The Killer Quarter At Wimbledon Empty Murray Wants The Killer Quarter At Wimbledon

Post by hawkeye Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:31 am

Murray says he wants to be drawn against Nadal in the quarters

I'd sign up to be in the quarter-finals against Rafa tomorrow if someone offered me that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22929787

Is he crazy? I know he likes that activity called boxing so maybe that's how boxers talk? Is he attempting to play some sort of mind game with Rafa? If he is I reckon he's picked the wrong player. Can you imagine Federer, Nadal or Djokovic saying they wanted to be drawn against a particular player? Or Rafa saying he would like Murray in the quarters? It's just misguided arrogance and shows no respect. No wonder Murray is a player that attracts so much criticism.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Murray Wants The Killer Quarter At Wimbledon Empty Re: Murray Wants The Killer Quarter At Wimbledon

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:33 am

Is he crazy or are you plain naive?

Obviously, he'd sign up for a place in the quarters straight away is what he is getting at even if it means a draw against Nadal. In short it means he gets into the quarters which is where the action really starts.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Murray Wants The Killer Quarter At Wimbledon Empty Re: Murray Wants The Killer Quarter At Wimbledon

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:37 am

He didn't say he wants it, he said he'd take it. OMG, is this what the forum has come to?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:39 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:He didn't say he wants it, he said he'd take it. OMG, is this what the forum has come to?

Sadly yes JHM. Hawkeye really getting desperate. She'd rather post a desperate dig at Murray no matter how in error it is than no dig at all.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:41 am

Well if he means he would sign for a place in the quarters against anyone that's a very different thing. But he doesn't say that. If he meant to say that it's a shame he didn't make it clearer. As it is lots will take the quote exactly as it stands.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:43 am

hawkeye wrote:Murray says he wants to be drawn against Nadal in the quarters

I'd sign up to be in the quarter-finals against Rafa tomorrow if someone offered me that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22929787

Is he crazy? I know he likes that activity called boxing so maybe that's how boxers talk? Is he attempting to play some sort of mind game with Rafa? If he is I reckon he's picked the wrong player. Can you imagine Federer, Nadal or Djokovic saying they wanted to be drawn against a particular player? Or Rafa saying he would like Murray in the quarters? It's just misguided arrogance and shows no respect. No wonder Murray is a player that attracts so much criticism.

From you only it seems.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:44 am

hawkeye wrote:Well if he means he would sign for a place in the quarters against anyone that's a very different thing. But he doesn't say that. If he meant to say that it's a shame he didn't make it clearer. As it is lots will take the quote exactly as it stands.

Oh good, so you'll be changing your topic header to reflect the exact quote then. That would also correct the poor grammar.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:45 am

A very quick demonstration of the evolution of HE's post:

a. modus operandi step one - throw out a deliberately provocative comment and see what we reel in.  This time though, the colours appear to be pinned to the mast because to make the comment provocative it is necessary for the OP to state clearly the misreading of what Murray said. 

b. modus operandi step two - change the goalposts when rumbled

Murray is clearly saying that you've got to be pleased to get as far as the QF, and if you do you'll take who you're drawn against including Rafa because you can't afford to worry about that if you are aiming to win the whole thing.  If he'd said he wanted Rafa in his quarter he'd be a boobie, he didn't and he isn't.

Last edited by barrystar on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:48 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : catching up with the second stage, which came quicker than anticipated)
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:47 am

I know there will be a lot of interest in the draw this year as Rafael Nadal looks like being seeded fifth, but as a player you can't get too obsessed about the draw.
You could say if I get through that match, then the semi-final might not be as tough, but if you want to win the biggest tournaments you have to beat the best players in the world. It doesn't really matter where they are in the draw.

That's the quote there from that report.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:52 am

I think my modus operandi might have to be to lock the thread. I allow a lot of latitude on opinions/views on players, but this one is just so far removed from reality that it doesn't allow for any sensible debate.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:54 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:I think my modus operandi might have to be to lock the thread.

Fingers Crossed
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:55 am

OK. Maybe I jumped but in fairness it is the sort of quote that could be jumped upon. Not everyone is a mind reader. I will be interested to see if it's picked up elsewhere. Murray just has a habit of saying things that wind people up. And no not just me... If Murray is saying he would sign up to get to the quarters against "anyone" he hasn't made it clear. He has said he'd sign up to play Rafa and then he goes on to say because if he gets through that the next match would be easier.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:58 am

hawkeye wrote:OK. Maybe I jumped but in fairness it is the sort of quote that could be jumped upon. Not everyone is a mind reader. I will be interested to see if it's picked up elsewhere. Murray just has a habit of saying things that wind people up. And no not just me... If Murray is saying he would sign up to get to the quarters against "anyone" he hasn't made it clear. He has said he'd sign up to play Rafa and then he goes on to say because if he gets through that the next match would be easier.

No no no no no. "You could say if I get through that match, then the semi-final might not be as tough".
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:01 am

For goodness sake it's in reference to Nadal being no.5. In the same sentence the meaning is clarified, "if someone offered me that". Nowhere has he expressed any preference, the whole point of this is about his indifference.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:02 am

The point is HE, he can't have a 1/4 against Fed or Djoko - the seedings won't allow it. It's obvious that he was questioned about Rafa's seeding (see the bit at the bottom - Andy Murray was talking to BBC Sport's Piers Newbery) and the possibility of facing Rafa in the 1/4's and commented on it accordingly i.e. I'd take a place in the 1/4's, even against Rafa, if they offered it to me (because it would mean I was already through to the last 8)
It might be picked up by other Murray haters who spend their time looking for ways to have a go at him, but no-one else I suspect. This really is a breath-taking thread. It really does make me wonder.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:03 am

Still waiting for the thread title to be edited to a more accurate name. Murray Wants The Killer Quarter At Wimbledon 1347041234
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:04 am

Perhaps rename it 'More BS from hawkeye'. Now that would be accurate.thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 am

That made me chuckle.

*sigh* I know Nadal's not as good a player as Federer but surely he hasn't run out of statistics that can be made into threads. I didn't mind those.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:26 am

lol...wow this forum is getting downright catty and short fused of late.

What I like about the article is not the misinterpretation or whatever of comments (agree Murray is basically saying he'll be happy at just being in the quarters) but the irony of comment by Murray of "being in pretty good shape" for Wimbledon after hitting Lendl with a FH - underneath a picture of Lendl grimacing and looking anything but in pretty good shape! He sure fills out a T-shirt pretty well these days! Nom, nom...

Murray Wants The Killer Quarter At Wimbledon _68214833_lendlhit
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:55 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:That would also correct the poor grammar.

At least my grammar correction will not generate much angst, or will it?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:57 am

I feel like David Attenborough - "and there, you see, right on cue, a second attempt to shift the goalposts.  It's amazing how predictable these behavioural patterns can be..."
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:58 am

barrystar wrote:I feel like David Attenborough - "and there, you see, right on cue, a second attempt to shift the goalposts.  It's amazing how predictable these behavioural patterns can be..."

Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:12 am

barrystar wrote:I feel like David Attenborough - "and there, you see, right on cue, a second attempt to shift the goalposts.  It's amazing how predictable these behavioural patterns can be..."

clap Too good. I don't know who you're making look worse HE or me with my inferior attempt.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:17 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Is he crazy or are you plain naive?

Obviously, he'd sign up for a place in the quarters straight away is what he is getting at even if it means a draw against Nadal. In short it means he gets into the quarters which is where the action really starts.
Are you not now giving the benefit of the doubt to posters for their idiocy?

Yesterday you took a completely different position in respect of Amrits blatant wumming, standing aloof and going all non judgemental. Today you are (correctly) calling the OP out for it.

Now, why would you see it differently.....? chinchin
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:21 am

Because BB, Red was tipping good things for Federer - I see no wumming there....unless as I pointed out yesterday, Red returns to gloat a Federer defeat at Wimbledon now that would be extracting the urine. I mean would you also label someone a WUM if they posted on here that Federer was set for a First Round defeat, or was now useless. Those are the remarks I see as WUMMing. In other words falsehoods.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:32 am

If you can't discern intention from a pattern of behaviour then you're just not paying attention.

For your future help, Red wasn't tipping Federer. He was trying to get a rise from other posters by posting a blatantly inaccurate judgement of Federers form, intended to goad folk into either agreeing with it (chortle) or to argue.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:34 am

By the way, I though Murray showed against Cilic the form needed to take Wimbledon comfortably. He shrugged off the effect of the slip and basically took it easily.

I struggle to see past him on that basis. It would take a let down of monumental proportions or him to miss out again this year, he'll never have it so easy again.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:36 am

We should credit HE with articles that at least spark emotions (or should I say light a fire)? Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:37 am

To be honest, even if Murray had said it in the way HE amusingly interpreted it... What's wrong with that?

You want to win a slam by beating the best players, no?

I assume the question that drew it out was something like "do you fear being drawn against Rafa in the quarters?".... What's he supposed to say, yes?

As it is he's answered it sensibly, but if he'd said "I want Rafa in the quarters. He's one of the best players in the world and I want to beat the best players" what on earth is wrong with that?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:37 am

Quite, there is a whiff of Cantona's trawler comment in the air...but it's a double sword, if you post new threads you have to expect comments back that agree/disagree/question the premise of the OP.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 am

But we don't know Federer's form until after Wimbledon. After all wasn't Roger written off last year? Now I'd agree this year he appears to be short of where he was in the past (losing V Tsonga on clay in straights was unexpected) but he has won Halle (unlike last year) so until we see how he fairs at Wimbledon we don't know what his form is. As for Red's motives then surely by what you say then he'd get a rise from you whatever he said? I mean he tipped Roger to win Wimbledon and you see that is WUmming but surely it could be seen as a far more blatant WUM if he had tipped Roger for an early exit and be labelled a hater.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:46 am

In fairness, the beeb have done a fair job of selectively quoting on the main sport page to give the view Murray is being as dismissive of Nadal as HE is implying. All designed to draw in the reader of course.

I was thinking about the Nadal - Murray dynamic having read a lot of comments on here about Nadal having the mental edge. In their last meeting, Rafa won about 25% of points on his first serve (and served well). He won 4 points in the third set. I would take a guess that is probably the most one-sided set between any two male top ten players in the open era (probably a stat for Laver). It will be curious how Rafa responds if Murray starts in that type of mode again.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 am

But do you really think that Tokyo match was representative of Nadal's usual form? Even post USO form?
I saw it that Nadal and Djokovic were relatively mentally and physically burnt out for the rest of the season after the culmination of their 2011 horn-locking at USO. In the next event Nadal lost to F. Mayer in straights early on.
Cincy 2011 onwards was his worst Masters run since 2004 (2R, QF, 3R).

Last edited by lydian on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:01 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:But we don't know Federer's form until after Wimbledon. After all wasn't Roger written off last year? Now I'd agree this year he appears to be short of where he was in the past (losing V Tsonga on clay in straights was unexpected) but he has won Halle (unlike last year) so until we see how he fairs at Wimbledon we don't know what his form is. As for Red's motives then surely by what you say then he'd get a rise from you whatever he said? I mean he tipped Roger to win Wimbledon and you see that is WUmming but surely it could be seen as a far more blatant WUM if he had tipped Roger for an early exit and be labelled a hater.
He didn't get a rise from me. I called him a prat. Everyone else agreed, but then you got all social worker on me.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:07 am

bogbrush wrote:By the way, I though Murray showed against Cilic the form needed to take Wimbledon comfortably. He shrugged off the effect of the slip and basically took it easily.

I struggle to see past him on that basis. It would take a let down of monumental proportions or him to miss out again this year, he'll never have it so easy again.

Hehe laughing

But it's probably gone way over his head.

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:11 am

I thought a journo from The Sun had wandered in and writ an article to wum us Murray fans up a bit.

C'mon Hawkeye, I know you jest at our expense.......stop it already warning

Laugh

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:13 am

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:But we don't know Federer's form until after Wimbledon. After all wasn't Roger written off last year? Now I'd agree this year he appears to be short of where he was in the past (losing V Tsonga on clay in straights was unexpected) but he has won Halle (unlike last year) so until we see how he fairs at Wimbledon we don't know what his form is. As for Red's motives then surely by what you say then he'd get a rise from you whatever he said? I mean he tipped Roger to win Wimbledon and you see that is WUmming but surely it could be seen as a far more blatant WUM if he had tipped Roger for an early exit and be labelled a hater.
He didn't get a rise from me. I called him a prat. Everyone else agreed, but then you got all social worker on me.

No I never got all social worker on you. I merely said I would wait to see what Red's reaction was should Fed exit early. If he gloats then yes I would say that quantifies him as a WUM since he was tipping him to win but until that happens I said I would give him the benefit of the doubt for which I have been told I am naive.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:15 am

bogbrush wrote:By the way, I though Murray showed against Cilic the form needed to take Wimbledon comfortably. He shrugged off the effect of the slip and basically took it easily.

Glad you were so impressed. OK Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:17 am

Well you sound like a social worker.

Anyway, I'm not line. There's another cynic on another thread. You want to listen to that guy!
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:26 am

bogbrush wrote:Well you sound like a social worker.

Anyway, I'm not line. There's another cynic on another thread. You want to listen to that guy!

People are free to tip who they think will win tournaments - that is the long and short of it. Never known that aspect of a poster to be labelled as a WUM unless of course they are being totally ridiculous. Federer being tipped to win Wimbledon can hardly be a totally ridiculous tip can it? Heck he has won it seven times so many people will be tipping him to win it (especially after Halle) so are they all WUM's. For the record I have already tipped Nadal for the title.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:29 am

You're so transparent Craig, you've got no chance of convincing me you're actually thick enough to believe Amrit was being genuine. The guy calling coolers out for bigging up Murray would never fall for that.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:35 am

To be honest BB I am only working on the pretence that Red simply tipped Federer to win Wimbledon and for that I see no harm. And as for me calling coolers out I think you need to read that thread again. I merely posted I had to disagree with them and posted my reasons and never once labelled coolers a WUM.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:18 am

Speechless.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:19 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:To be honest BB I am only working on the pretence that Red simply tipped Federer to win Wimbledon and for that I see no harm. And as for me calling coolers out I think you need to read that thread again. I merely posted I had to disagree with them and posted my reasons and never once labelled coolers a WUM.
You're working on the pretence all right.

As for coolers, you virtually lodged a solicitors letter insisting the views expressed did not reflect Murray fans views and for good measure pointed out she wasn't a Murray fan. Yeah, just a difference of opinion Laugh
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:24 am

Yes and ask coolers if they have any problem with how how I conducted myself on that thread.

I mean, come on BB, we all now how these forums work. Somebody pops along scans down through forum titles and extrapolates 'facts' without looking at the details. We have had people in the past claiming Murray fans are over-confident, talk their player up, are full of it etc and so in a move to pour scorn on that I pointed out that it wasn't a Murray fan making him a hot favourite. No harm in that is there?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:25 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:Yes and ask coolers if they have any problem with how how I conducted myself on that thread.

I mean, come on BB, we all now how these forums work. Somebody pops along scans down through forum titles and extrapolates 'facts' without looking at the details. We have had people in the past claiming Murray fans are over-confident, talk their player up, are full of it etc and so in a move to pour scorn on that I pointed out that it wasn't a Murray fan making him a hot favourite. No harm in that is there?
No harm at all. You are dead right.

Thing is, so was I saying what Amrit was up to.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:34 am

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Yes and ask coolers if they have any problem with how how I conducted myself on that thread.

No harm at all. You are dead right.

Thing is, so was I saying what Amrit was up to.

Yes okay and see my post on the other thread as I have seen another post where Red tips Djokovic to beat Murray so I'd now agree that they were on the wind-up on the other thread you referred to unless they changed their mind. Apologies.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:35 am

hawkeye wrote:Murray says he wants to be drawn against Nadal in the quarters

Ach, you're all missing just what he's saying. The key word is "tomorrow". Murray knows Rafa's got plans for tomorrow and would have to withdraw Wink

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:39 am

Danny_1982 wrote:I assume the question that drew it out was something like "do you fear being drawn against Rafa in the quarters?".... What's he supposed to say, yes?
Actually, I believe the accepted response to such a question is "don't mention the draw!".

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:12 am

Another day. Another 'quality' article of HE

No mention of Andy's 'charitee' work, yesterday - something that HE admires in Fedal / Novak, but strangely mute on the Scottish wonder Rolling Eyes

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next