The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions changes?

+40
Irishhoneymonster
yappysnap
BigWilly
tatterd
fa0019
Newsilure
PJHolybloke
Ulster12
offload
Metal Tiger
wales606
sensisball
Duty281
nathan
Sin é
reallybored
Hookisms and Hyperbole
king_carlos
jelly
Jhamer25
Exiledinborders
Manu's Boxing Coach
Looseheaded
glamorganalun
Shifty
Feckless Rogue
valtrepkos
Pyleboy65
Thomond
asoreleftshoulder
Scrumdown
thomh
Artful_Dodger
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LeinsterFan4life
Sgt_Pooly
gelodge
maestegmafia
LondonTiger
t1000advancedprototype
44 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Lions changes? - Page 3 Empty Lions changes?

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Gatland will keep the same team, but Phillips is questionable and I'd like to see Lydiate start.

WAY too many missed tackles today.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Lions changes? - Page 3 Empty Re: Lions changes?

Post by tatterd Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:41 am

Irishhoneymonster wrote:Anyone who thinks that was a good or solid performance from the Lions is deluded in my view. We should have taken that game by the scruff of the neck with 20 or 30 mins to go and run away with it. The fact is we didn't do that and in the end could or should have lost it. The only thing that saved us was poor goal kicking from Oz.

I think Youngs has to come in for Philips. I like Philips but today he was simply not good enough. His incessant running round the fringes when it clearly wasn't working was unforgiveable, not to mention his mindless box kicking.

I also think it is a no brainer that Bowe will walk straight back into the side if he is passed fit, and out of all the changes I list here I think it is the one that we can be sure that Gatland will actually make. And for all those reading this thinking Bowe shouldn't just walk back in, think of a scenario in which North didn't play today and the person who played in his place still scored a try and the Lions still won. Would you honestly be thinking that North shouldn't walk back into the Squad at that persons expense if they played at say the same level as Cuthbert did today? And especially considering the fact that we actually didn't play very well all in all? Bowe and North are a class above the rest in my view and for that reason will both be playing if fit. Also they are the form wingers on tour so far!

Other changes I would make would be O'Brien in for Croft and Roberts/Tuilagi in for JD2. I think Davies played quite well to be fair but it's just that the balance of the midfield is better with a crash merchant there giving Aus something to think about. I also think it is very likely Gatland will make a change at IC if he has the players available. As for my reasoning for O'Brien coming in, I don't honestly think the back row were that bad but they didn't really seem very balanced and that meant that nobody in that unit was able to shine I feel, as in just doing what they do best. I think a better balance would come from a change at blindside. Also, I wouldn't really care that much if it was Lydiate who came in but to be fair, O'Brien has put his hand up more throughout the tour so far. I'd still keep Lydiate on the bench though as he covers 6 if O'Brien is injured and O'Brien covers the other 2 positions (8 at a stretch perhaps at this level) if either Heaslip or Warburton is injured.

I had other things to say about the bench options but have been drinking too much and can't remember now. One thing I would say though is this, with a Lions squad we surely have the players to be able to pretty much empty the bench so that we can make an impact and have more fresh players on the pitch towards the end. Now don't get me wrong I understand that there is always continuity and fluidity to think about and you don't want to disrupt the team too much. But having said that, during the match today I was in some ways glad that Gatland didn't bring on the likes of Maitland because I haven't been convinced by him this tour and would have been worried if he had come on in such a tight game. Whereas if it had been Tuilagi or Bowe coming off the bench then my feeling would have been bring them on and feck continuity! My point is that with a squad as strong as this I feel that I really shouldn't be worried or feeling tentative during a match about a particular sub coming on. Kind of made me realise the bench could/should be stronger than it is. Anyway is just a thought that Gatland shouldn't have players on the bench that he is uncomfortable bringing on because of the depth that is in the squad.

Anyway I am talking rubbish now apologies, all I would reiterate is that we were super lucky today and I think we need some changes to up things next week or we could well be in trouble. Make no mistake, it was a pretty average performance from us today.
Mate considering you've been drinking your post reads very well - wish I could type so well after being on a bender! Agree with your post too thumbsup

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:46 am

Changes i would like too see. Probably wont happen. 

B Youngs for M Phillips

Either SOB/TIPS for Croft/Warburton

Either Roberts/Tualaghi/Barret, for BOD.

Would also like too see Christian Wade make a start or at least the bench.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:51 am

majesticimperialman wrote:Changes i would like too see. Probably wont happen. 

B Youngs for M Phillips

Either SOB/TIPS for Croft/Warburton

Either Roberts/Tualaghi/Barret, for BOD.

Would also like too see Christian Wade make a start or at least the bench.
Barritt Ermlaughing

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:59 am

Barritt for BOD? That's just plain rude! Wait 'til Hookisms see that - it'll shut the Internet down...

Back to top Go down

Post by doddieman Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:13 am

Tuesdays team is up. Expect that none of the starting 15 will feature next sat but the bench might. SOB and lydiate playing, tips on the bench so id expect a bench spot for him next week. I expected hogg as flyhalf but he's on the bench with farell starting so could see him as bench cover for 2nd test.
Tualagi back but starting on tues, maybe just to test him out. If he's withdrawn early it could be to keep him fresh for sat.
Maitland and hibbard starting tuesday, maybe bench start for best and possible start for bowe on sat then?

doddieman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:29 am

doddieman wrote:Tuesdays team is up. Expect that none of the starting 15 will feature next sat but the bench might. SOB and lydiate playing, tips on the bench so id expect a bench spot for him next week. I expected hogg as flyhalf but he's on the bench with farell starting so could see him as bench cover for 2nd test.
Tualagi back but starting on tues, maybe just to test him out. If he's withdrawn early it could be to keep him fresh for sat.
Maitland and hibbard starting tuesday, maybe bench start for best and possible start for bowe on sat then?

I think you are wrong there. Starting XV may be unlikely to start on Saturday, but some are almost certain to be on the bench at least. Likes of Hibbard, Cole, Parling, Lydiate, Farrell are all in need of gametime having only been on the bench for the last few games.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:32 am

glamorganalun wrote:
tatterd wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

I'd go with

Corbisiero, youngs, cole, jones, O'Connell, croft, warburton, Heaslip, youngs, sexton, north, tuilagi, odriscoll, Bowe, halfpenny.

Vunipola, Hubbard, jones, gray, o'brien, Phillips, Farrell, Davies.

You sound like you know about rugby then you come out with this tripe. Must have been me imagining it when cole came on and the lions scrum went backwards then..........

Looks like he is trying to shoe in as many English based players in as possible, stuff the result, what happens if Roberts is fit?

Is that your only defence??? Not english so that kills that one.

Jones has had a very quiet tour, very quiet and he was again quiet yesterday. Cole isn't as good scrum time but he won't be dominated... What he will bring is a better overall ruck play which the lions need given especially tipuric is out of the team behind warburton... Who himself was very quiet.

My issue is not with jones but rather that warburton needs help in that department and its worth a little less gusto in the scrum IMO.

Bringing in youngs for Phillips is so sensible that most of the welsh chaps I know personally have been calling for it. It's quite pathetic that whenever someone suggests player x it's only because they are from country x. Not the case.
Losing Healy has cost the lions, corbisiero is a better scrummager but Healy is nearly as good but like cole offers a lot come ruck time.... We're missing a lot of these players.

If you read what I wrote originally, not carefully cut quotes I actually blamed parling for the scrum collapse and thought he should be dropped for gray and questioned crofts inclusion for lydiate.... But hey you just show your own bias that way.

I don't know much about rugby, perhaps.... But I've played for over 20 years and probably played at a higher level then most of the posters here so have a fair understanding of the game.

We were lucky to win yesterday... Probably the luckiest win since the 2nd test in 97....AUS had two shots at goal to win, one on the buzzer meaning had it gone over we would have lost. Don't think that because we won we will storm them..... This is our 8th game together, that was their first in six months.

It should never have been that close and changes perhaps 3-4 should be made.... If we keep the same side we will lose the 2nd test.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:38 am

I agree with the other posters that Phillips was rubbish, but I would add that the Wallabies did a job on him and frequently got away with stretching the laws of the game to do so (his markers were rarely on-side). However when Youngs came on the Lions game went down hill, so I cannot see him as the answer.

I think the biggest problem was the unbalanced back row. I cannot see how the Lions can play Heaslip and Croft together, they are both similar players in that they fringe the breakdown to get the glory carries. For me its one of Lydiate or Fatetau to restore the balance.

The biggest problem at the breakdown was the strange and rather one sided interpretation of the Ref. The Lions did not have a clue what was expected of them, it seemed to be OK for a player on the ground to hang onto the ball but if the defending player (in a red jersey) put a knee down it was a penalty. Clearly the Ref is a fan of Rugby league, he did not seem to be prepared to allow the Lions to contest the breakdown.

Back to the team, Bowe if fully fit must play so Cuthbert will be dropped from the squad. Unlikely that Roberts will be fit but if Tuilagi plays well at 12 on Tuesday he may come in for Davies or BOD.

The other problem on Saturday was when the front row was changed the only impact made was negative. Cole was poor in what was previously a dominant scrum and Hibbard charged around with lots of gusto but little effect, missing a number of tackles.

Hibbard seems to play better if he starts but Youngs played pretty well, so possibly Best and maybe Stevens on the bench.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:47 am

The problem with Philips is that he can't organise a pack, doesn't engineer moves. Sexton struggled to assert himself because the ball he got was poor quality... It's the 9s job to get his pack punching front gaps and quick release to unleashing your 10 and the backs.

Is a coincidence that Wales 10s have struggled throughout his tenure... With only stephen jones, a wily old 10 doing well with him.

At his best he brings a lot but he suits certain sides like SA and england.. big ball carriers with no openside.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:04 am

Maybe sexton isn't wily Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by doddieman Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:09 am

Past records show that Gatland doesn't change a winning side, and for the most part doesn't really change a losing side either - he stuck with priestland, Warburton, roberts, etc through times where they weren't no.1 in their position. The changes for sat will be the bench only I would expect.
Best, Stevens, tipuric, bowe to get an inclusion.

doddieman

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:18 am

Barritt for BOD?
May aswell have Parks for Sexton too!

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:35 am

fa0019 wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:
tatterd wrote:
fa0019 wrote:

My issue is not with jones but rather that warburton needs help in that department and its worth a little less gusto in the scrum IMO.

No. Nothing is worth "a little less gusto in the scrum". The set piece is where it all begins. We sorted the line-out, but our scrum was not that much better than theirs even when Jones started. We do not have enough breathing space in the scrum to start Cole. AJ has to start. Thankfully you are not picking the team.

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffwinger Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:40 am

All this chat about stats is getting ridiculous. Stats are utterly useless without context and basing your opinion purely on tackle and turnover counts is silly. By all means back up a point with a stat if its relevant, but don't form an argument based blindly on what espn stats tell you.

I'm also fed up with this pigeon holing of roles within the back row. As long as all the work gets done between the whole pack, who cares what number each bloke has on his back? No the stats don't paint a picture of a text book back row unit, but at no point during the game did I feel like the back row looked weak. I though ours was more prominent than theirs. Can't remember Hooper or Gill causing any problems, and Palu was fairly anonymous. Mowen tied up Phillips well.

In terms of the great Croft/Warburton debate, I am absolutely certain that the canny Aussies will have been targeting Warburton with their runners, forcing him to make the tackles and therefore nullifying his turnover threat. He can't get over the ball if he's on the floor underneath the carrier. Is Croft supposed to somehow intervene and make the tackle instead? Do we want to see our flankers running round holing hands so the man wearing 6 can tackle and the man wearing 7 can go for the ball? Good luck with that. Also, given the refereeing of the breakdown, its fair to assume that the lions back row were less eager to get over the ball as they would have been likely to be penalised. This isn't Warburton's fault, its the fault of the IRB for allowing such diversion in NH/SH rules. At present there is no such thing as a neutral referee in a NH v SH match and this clearly impacts the game.

Side note, while on the subject of referees and Sam Warburton, his dealing with referees is brilliant. He is very quick to get the teams point across and alert the ref to any concerns, while always remaining impeccably polite and calm, even in the heat of battle. The effect of getting the ref onside is really overlooked but it can be the difference in 50/50 calls and this can lead to significant point swings. Something rarely discussed but very important in my view.

jeffwinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3