The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google Game Console

4 posters

Go down

Google Game Console  Empty Google Game Console

Post by profitius Sat 29 Jun 2013, 3:13 pm

Major news from the gaming world.

Google Building Android Game Console

Google Inc. GOOG +0.38%is developing a videogame console and wristwatch powered by its Android operating system, according to people familiar with the matter, as the Internet company seeks to spread the software beyond smartphones and tablets.

With the game machine and digital watch, Google is hoping to combat similar devices that Apple Inc. AAPL +0.70%may release in the future, according to the people.

Google is also preparing to release a second version of an Android-powered media-streaming device, called Nexus Q, that was unveiled last year but not sold to the public, these people said.

The Internet giant hopes to design and market the devices itself and release at least one of them this fall, they added.

A Google spokeswoman declined to comment

The hardware plans are the latest sign of Google's determination to build on the success of Android, the software it launched in 2008 that powered 75% of all smartphones and 57% of tablets shipped globally in the first quarter, according to the research firm IDC.

Games that run on Android software have proved particularly popular, and they are growing more quickly than games made for the big-name consoles supplied by Microsoft Corp., MSFT -0.22%Sony Corp. 6758.TO +2.11%and Nintendo Co. 7974.OK +6.29%The appeal of such games has prompted the development of new devices aimed specifically for Android by other hardware companies.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323689204578571992848684764.html

Should be interesting. An Android based console could have advantages over PC based since the android is a modern operating system.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Google Game Console  Empty Re: Google Game Console

Post by Bull Sat 29 Jun 2013, 4:08 pm

It wont sell well if you ask me, i can see anyone else entering the console race this late in, let alone ever, it will be the big 3, unless some how Sega reemerge but with there problems i doubt it.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sat 29 Jun 2013, 5:09 pm

There's really not enough there to give me a great idea what they plan to bring on the whole but if they really wanted to then Google/Android can muscle their way into the market. Marketing tends to play a huge part in anything's popularity and on that front Google have got the tools to compete if they do it right.

A consoles a console at the end of the day and unless Google plan to release upgradable machines then no they won't compete with PC's, which just develop to fast. Its why its pointless to compare PC gaming and current console gaming as the PC wins out barring bad ports. Though the movement by Google to compete with Windows on a OS level is a very interesting one, especially from a gamer point of view. There is better OS's out there than Windows currently but not really from a gaming point of view and requires you have to have split OS's for different activities.

It all comes back down to marketing from Google, a great product will also help but marketing is the king just ask COD or a plethora of other games. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun 30 Jun 2013, 7:46 pm

COD is not a great product, its a carbon copy every year , one of the worst games ive ever played lol but i get what you mean

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:16 pm

I wasn't even contemplating COD as a great product rather that marketing is key over all else if you get it right. A great product will help the situation but it's not a requirement as "COD or plethora of other games" have proved.

Lets look at COD: MW2 as an example, now trying to define development and marketing costs for any game is hard as the numbers tend to be leaked and can vary all over the shop. In the case of MF2 though its petty much accepted that development figures for the game came in at $40-50m, where as the marketing budget for the game post launch was a staggering $200m. A fundamental case of if you tell enough people what a great game you have they will lap it up and start to believe it themselves regardless of the actual quality.

There's another discussion about the lack of quality this type of approach of mass market selling has lead to in the development of games but that's for another topic. Suffice to say that in terms of global appeal and total sales the games industry is at an all time high but in terms of quality and diversity its in a pretty sorry state for me.

Last edited by Dass on Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:17 pm

yeah i know what you meant as i stated above lol

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 30 Jun 2013, 8:21 pm

Ah, fair enough. With your opening salvo being a direct counter to COD being a great product I was under the impression you'd misinterpreted my final sentence. Smile

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:49 pm

I can't really see why it couldn't work out. I remember being one of those who laughed their rear-ends off when Microsoft came out and said they were stepping into the console market.

The way I am thinking is that there are a hell of a lot of easy pick-up-and -play games available for Andriod already, my misses has a kindle fire and spends hours playing really annoying pointless games like those claw or coin machines etc. Now if Google were to bring out a console, then it could well not be aiming the X-box/PS battle, but rather aiming the Wii (Wii U or whatever) for that family friendly console.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 01 Jul 2013, 2:47 pm

I cant see it as it will run on Android games , that does not sell the reason why Nintendo sells is because of there classic franchises, the google console does not have that.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 01 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm

Bull wrote:I cant see it as it will run on Android games , that does not sell the reason why Nintendo sells is because of there classic franchises, the google console does not have that.

Nintendo sells pretty well on the family aspect of it, I know of a few people with younger kids (under 10s) who are happy for them to have Nintendo (wii, wii u, DS etc) as they are cartoony etc, but are not happy for their kids to have a PS3/X-Box as there are a lot of violent games, online content etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down