The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch vs Groves

+20
Steffan
TheMackemMawler
horizontalhero
AlexHuckerby
RanjitPatel
Seanusarrilius
bhb001
Boxtthis
Herman Jaeger
manos de piedra
Rowley
Aveyard01
JabMachineMK2
Valero's Conscience
TRUSSMAN66
Fists of Fury
tommyhearnsprodigalson
hampo17
BlakkMamba
mobilemaster8
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Froch vs Groves Empty Froch vs Groves

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:03 am

Groves has been made mandatory for the IBF title.

purse bids expected July 24th if a deal isn't reached between the camps.

Fight to happen in October.

Thoughts?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Froch vs Groves Empty Re: Froch vs Groves

Post by BlakkMamba Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:21 am

If I were Froch just vacate - he still has the WBA title he got from kessler and there are bigger fights for him. The Groves fight can happen later down the line when Groves wins the vacant title and defends it once or twice. That'll be a bigger payday for both of them, plus two british world champs.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:29 am

There is always that concern about the chin of Groves, we know he can be hurt and hurt badly. At the moment I feel it would be a matter of time before Froch landed, but it would be interesting to see how long Groves could frustrate him though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:48 am

Tbf i'd rather see a Froch vs Groves fight instead on another Kessler fight, at least if Groves loses he could say he has lost to a good champion in Froch and his stock shouldn't dip too much

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:18 am

I hope Froch goes for it. Pretty good test for him regardless of what people say, and I think it'd be another massive night for British boxing which can surely only be good. The young, hungry lion against the grizzled old king. It has the potential to be a good one.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:53 am

Agreed this is mouth watering.............Kessler is just a slightly above average stand up European....

Groves v Froch......Probably give Froch the slight advantage but who's to say....He ' s knocking in and Groves is in his prime....

55-45 fight...for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:57 am

Groves is a top prospect and you could argue he's Top 10 level but Froch won't get much praise outside the UK.

Syaing that it'll be a cracking fight, which will get a lot of hype and exposure in the UK and make both decent money.

I think Groves has the speed and skills to trouble Froch (not in damage but to win rounds) but think Froch would stop him late.

If Froch can't get can't another big name then i'm all for it.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 9:59 am

Froch won't get any crdit no mater who he beats outside the UK because he flopped against Ward........end of!!!!!!!!!

Going 1-1 with Kessler just confirms Ward's superiority.............

Froch should be more interested in his British standing and this fight will raise that I imagine..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:06 am

I think Froch gets huge credit from most circles as a top guy in his division albeit not No.1. Ward is generally seen as something quite special i.e. a once in his generation type fighter. When you are second to a guy like Ward it's not so bad.

Froch's style also makes him popular so I think he gets credit but Groves does not have a name outside of the UK so he'll maybe get stick for that.

Ward is probably infuriated because although he is no.1 his fan base is probably 10% of Froch's and doesn't make anywhere near the money his talent deserves however his ugly fighting style doesn't deserve anything more.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:10 am

Ward doesn't look infuriated to me...........he has a lot to look forward too........

The number 1 p4p spot.......
Superfight with Golovkin........

and he's six years younger than Froch....Plenty of time a la Marv Hagler to become a superfighter.....

Something Carl will never be.....

Just has to wait Floyd out......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:32 am

Ward will never be like Floyd, being the boxing fraternities #1 P4P isn't the same as being the Sun readers #1 like David Haye and Tyson Fury.

Its a very sad state for boxing, but he just hasn't the characteristics to be a megastar.

A combination of style, personality and the fact he hasn't got a background to shout about means that he'll never reach the heights he should. I'd be bitter about that if I were him.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 10:40 am

The longer he reins like Marvin Hagler...The more respect he'll get and fans he'll bring....

Hagler couldn't sell big until well into his reign..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Aveyard01 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 12:57 pm

I dont see how Groves beats Froch to be honest, and furthermore i dont see how this is a good fight for Froch. Much more to lose than gain, perhaps groves could step aside for Froch Stieglitz to be made or Bika, I think if Carl can unify the division that would tempt Ward across the pond.

i think that Ward will be Carl's last fight as either way he will be left with nothin to prove.

Aveyard01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:16 pm

If, as it appears November is going to be a marking time kind of fight Groves is not too bad. Is well ranked and as a domestic match up it will sell. Should also stylistically be a decent match.

Is this the same Aveyard from the BBC days, if so welcome aboard, if not welcome anyway.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aveyard01 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:17 pm

yes...thanks?!

Aveyard01

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:34 pm

We only need Ceej to make his way across now and it will all be like one big happy family again.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ward doesn't look infuriated to me...........he has a lot to look forward too........

The number 1 p4p spot.......
Superfight with Golovkin........

and he's six years younger than Froch....Plenty of time a la Marv Hagler to become a superfighter.....

Something Carl will never be.....

Just has to wait Floyd out......

It's a bit early to talk about superfights with GGG - he's unproven.

He's fought 27 guys - 26 were tomato cans and the other was Matthew Macklin, his ledger doesn't compare to Wards.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 02 Jul 2013, 1:53 pm

I think Hearn is understandably keen to make this fight happen. It makes sense and is easy to pull off as he controls both fighters. But I think from Groves perspective he might have been better off looking at the WBC/WBO champions. He is highly ranked in both those organisations as well and Bika/Stieglitz would be easier and at this stage of Groves career probably better fights for him. But I suspect Hearn is keen to push it through before Froch retires or risk Groves losing to Stieglitz or Bika as the fight will sell well here in Britain. Its probably 1 or 2 fights too soon for Groves though.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 02 Jul 2013, 4:02 pm

Risky fight for Froch and a chance to get one over arch rival Joe Calzaghe by taking on an undefeated young lion in his first championship fight.

What I like about this fight is that Groves really seems to want it and you've got to admire that when he could bide his time and go for easier options.

Their styles are bound to gel too.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Jul 2013, 4:08 pm

The first time he beat him Mario Veit was an undefeated young lion but this is not traditionally a win Joe gets too much credit for.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 02 Jul 2013, 4:11 pm

I would have liked to have seen Groves fight either Bika or Stieglitz for a WBC or WBO title. It would make a Froch unification fight so much more appealing. Still - you can't knock good fights, and this, on paper, should be interesting, competitive, and entertaining.

And can we stop pretending that Froch has two belts please! He's WBA regular champion, which basically means he's not the champion and that he's 2nd fiddle to Ward. Plus, the only reason Bika has a title is because Ward was unfairly stripped.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 4:14 pm

If Froch doesn't take it, people will say, unfairly, he is ducking Groves. I say take it as it keeps him busy until next spring when a fight with Ward can be made.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Aveyard01 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 4:36 pm

I thought that the WBA stripped ward due to inactivity didnt they? So he is the WBA champ?

does anyone seriously believe that froch would duck groves? he is the champ who really has nothing to prove and in reality ducks nobody. what other options are there?

I would love to see him tackle Golovkin.

Aveyard01

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm

No one in there right mind would think that Froch would duck Groves. (Enter Steffan). Run 

Only joking Steffan. There are plenty of people, Steffan not being one of them, who would make this accusation ad nauseum thinking that the more they repeat it the more people will believe it is true. Froch is now in the position that Calzaghe was when Froch kept challenging him. Calzaghe did not duck Froch, but had no incentive to fight him either. The more that things change, the more they stay the same.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 02 Jul 2013, 5:28 pm

Can't see this happening before spring/summer time next year. Hearn seems really keen on getting Kessler back in the ring (although most fans don't).

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue 02 Jul 2013, 5:42 pm

I think they will look for the Groves fight first and then look at Kessler after. Hearn probably wants Kessler to take a bit of a break and maybe recharge the batteries and then make him a decent offer to tempt him back. At the moment the impression I got from Kessler was that he was happy enough to retire. But after a bit of a break and a juicy offer he may be more inclined to come back for a third fight.

Hearn must have worked some magic with the IBF to get Groves as a mandatory in any case. I cant see him doing that unless he wanted the fight. It kills two birds with the one stone as it avoids a potentially low key, non ppv fight in fovour of a big domestic fight that serves as a mandatory and will be ppv on Sky. If anything, I think Hearn is guilty of rushing Groves a bit for this one.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 02 Jul 2013, 5:56 pm

Hope this makes sense but I've been thinking for and while that Groves has the look of someone who's going to get knocked out soon. He's not ready for Froch yet so that's the fight it will happen.

Bit of a mismatch in my eyes but we'll see.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 02 Jul 2013, 6:02 pm

RanjitPatel wrote:Hope this makes sense but I've been thinking for and while that Groves has the look of someone who's going to get knocked out soon. He's not ready for Froch yet so that's the fight it will happen.

Bit of a mismatch in my eyes but we'll see.

I think Froch stops him tbh, and fairly easily. Groves hasn't been hit back much since Paul Smith shook him at end of round one of their fight. I think Froch would emply the same - launch in with combo - tactics he employed on Lucien Bute and with the same results.

Hope it happens though. Good build up and all British fight. Not too excited about Kessler III really.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Tue 02 Jul 2013, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 02 Jul 2013, 6:03 pm

True about rushing Groves however Groves is up for it and says he's ready and if Booth is also game then maybe hard to stop the fight as he probably wants to avoid the same criticisms Warren gets.

I'm sure they could sell out the 02 again which would make big money. I don't think it should be PPV but would be.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 02 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm

Never thought Groves was shook in the slightest by Smith just caught with a right hand and a bit off balance.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Tue 02 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm

Same here, no worries interest in Kessler 3. Kessler would have little chance.
I can see the sense in the Groves fight as its a much easier sell than Bika. Would have liked Stieglitz v Froch as well. Couldn't see that going the distance.

A couple of decent match ups for Froch that should be relatively easy wins considering his level in comparison.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 05 Jul 2013, 1:20 pm

BlakkMamba wrote:If I were Froch just vacate - he still has the WBA title he got from kessler and there are bigger fights for him.  The Groves fight can happen later down the line when Groves wins the vacant title and defends it once or twice.  That'll be a bigger payday for both of them, plus two british world champs.

I'd rather see it now- how may times have fights that 'can happen down the line' never happen as one or both fighters lose / fight someone else/ retire etc. Also Froch is reaching the stage of his career where the tough figths of past could suddenly catch up with him.- For me this match up is good now.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 05 Jul 2013, 1:23 pm

From Frochs perspective its much better to have the fight now I think.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 05 Jul 2013, 1:40 pm

Agree Manos,

Why wait until he is older and been in even more battles. Groves is acting like he can take Froch out, so let's be having you!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri 05 Jul 2013, 1:52 pm

Yeah Groves is likely to only get beter with more development and experience while Froch is ageing. Plus it ticks a mandatory obligation in the meantime. Its rare that you get such a lucrative mandatory fight that can be ppv worthy but thats what this will be. Much better than someone like Oosthuizen which wouldnt sell nearly as good or most likely would not carry ppv. And if he waits for Groves to get a title then he will probably have to sacrifice a higher split of the purse. As it is Groves can only get about 20% with Froch dominating the ppv take also. Much more lucrative from Frochs perspective.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 05 Jul 2013, 10:36 pm

I think Froch undoubtedly has the power to take Groves out as I feel George may just be a little more fragile however I think Groves speed movement and trickery has well enough to cause lots of problems to Froch. Also I think Adam Booths general tactic style is good to beat Froch, back off, be smart with good footwork and cvome in with raiding tactics and frustrate. Essentially what he did to Degale, however Froch may be better and more experienced that Degale, but nowhere near as quick as James was.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 05 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm

George's speed movement and trickery will cause no more problems than Butes. Froch will walk over him.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 05 Jul 2013, 10:58 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:George's speed movement and trickery will cause no more problems than Butes. Froch will walk over him.

Hmm, can't quite agree with that, Bute just seemed to have no form of survival tactics and didn't seem to have a clue as to what to do once he got caught, don't see the same happening to George.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:07 pm

As much as I would love Groves to give everybody a present and drop this chump it aint gonna happen. Froch on points

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:09 pm

Based on what, his performance against Kenny Anderson, granted he showed he can dig deep, but Froch is levels above, when your in that deep of a trench , I don't see him having the experience or the know how to dig out!

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:11 pm

sparxz wrote:when your in that deep of a trench , I don't see him having the experience or the know how to dig out!
And lets not forget that Froch is a warrior who fights in the trenches

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 05 Jul 2013, 11:45 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
TheMackemMawler wrote:George's speed movement and trickery will cause no more problems than Butes. Froch will walk over him.

Hmm, can't quite agree with that, Bute just seemed to have no form of survival tactics and didn't seem to have a clue as to what to do once he got caught, don't see the same happening to George.

whoops, i got it wrong.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 06 Jul 2013, 10:25 am

Haha your right steffan. Lest we forget that Froch invented trenches in boxing and once you are dragged into one (everyone has but Ward) you will find it tough going.

froch to win this via KO.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 08 Jul 2013, 10:30 am

Im gonna pick Groves if this fight happens.

I think he will be too quick for Froch and has enough power to frustrate and slow him down.

Froch is on the wrong side of 30 and Groves is a cert for a belt at some stage, this for me could be a major banana skin for Froch. I hope it is, as I am a Groves fan.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitchey Mon 08 Jul 2013, 4:12 pm

Hi,

A sometime lurker and very occasional 606v2 poster here ...

As a fan of Groves and Froch, I don't like the idea of this fight. I don't think that Groves has the experience for Froch yet, it seems like too big a leap to me.

Has Groves even been in with a properly hard puncher yet?

Twitchey

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 08 Jul 2013, 4:32 pm

Twitchey wrote:Hi,

A sometime lurker and very occasional 606v2 poster here ...

As a fan of Groves and Froch, I don't like the idea of this fight.  I don't think that Groves has the experience for Froch yet, it seems like too big a leap to me.

Has Groves even been in with a properly hard puncher yet?  

Good points Twitchey. I don't think Groves has faced quite the level of opp he would like before tackling Froch. But, he has been around a while, is fresh and won't stop using Froch's name in the media. Also, Froch has had at least 5/6 fights where he has shipped many punches. Taylor, Pascal, Kessler twice, Ward and Johnson. He is 36 and can't go on at top level forever. Also he is slowing. That said, Froch KO in 6

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Tue 09 Jul 2013, 3:50 pm

You know, I have a funny feeling Groves could pull this off. He's shown he can box to a gameplan, has (IMO) a bit more skill and speed than Froch, throws good combinations and has enough power to keep him honest. I still favour Froch, but not heavily; given the disparity between the two in terms of opposition and experience. He'd have to walk him down, like he did Bute, to make it an easy night.

One thing Froch certainly has over Groves is his chin. To me, if Groves could stay out of trouble, he has the attributes to nick it. The size of that 'if', though, is where the discrepancy lies.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 09 Jul 2013, 3:55 pm

Apart from Bute, when was the last time Froch's power became a factor in a fight?

If Groves rolls and moves, the gravy train could come to a halt for Froch.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Tue 09 Jul 2013, 4:10 pm

Albeit in different circumstances (way behind on points) the Taylor stoppage was similar - just walked him down and eventually pounded him into submission.

Of course, there are other examples (Yusaf Mack etc), but they're only really against fringe/domestic-level opponents.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 09 Jul 2013, 4:12 pm

That was a good few year ago though. Froch's power at world level hasnt really been anything to write home about and at 36 this could be the perfect time for Groves to take his belts.

I think Groves is being looked over something shockin. He could defo win this fight. He should that he can stick to a gameplan when he fought DeGale and if Froch comes out trying to take him out he could play right into Georges ginger freckily hands.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next