The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Little Bit of History Repeating

4 posters

Go down

A Little Bit of History Repeating Empty A Little Bit of History Repeating

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:31 pm

Let me try that again, without being too drunk tired and emotional to make sense.

The Lions tour is back in a familiar place. The anticipation and excitement about the prospect is largely gone and the reality of taking four nations full of worthy players and cramming them into a starting 15 and a bench and winning an away series is kicking in.

The Lions seem to be very much a momentum institution. When things are going well and the Lions are rotating the pre-test team and crushing provincial sides EVERYONE is a fervent Lions fan. Win a test, particularly the first one and this just goes ballistic. But a loss, and the stress fractures quickly splinter the supporters along the same old boundaries. Are there too many Welsh? Not enough Scots? The wrong English? Is it all the coaches fault? It seems that contrary to the emotive name "Lions" and popular mythology around the nature of the proud, unshakeable animal that the Lions heart is easily pierced and his will easily broken.

The Lions have certainly faced adversity this week: They lost the second test to a typically Australian heartbreaker of a try. Untimely injury forced out Sam Warburton at a crucial point in a tournament again. There was a curious and consuming side show with the double-jeopardy citing of the Wallaby captain and this week outrage from some quaters over the apparent "scapegoating" of Lions and rugby legend Brian O'Driscoll. Frankly the response from some fans to these challenges has been disappointing. From pompous divisive chest beating by some proud but misguided Welsh fans, to the petulant sulking of some Irish fans to the fence sitting by some disappointed English fans who seem to be hedging the moment to leap in and espouse the virtues of some neglected players against the potential failure of those who were picked by Gatland.

Sadly, this is nothing new for a Lions tour. 2001, 2005 and 2009 before them were all drenched in division and controversy. From the selection of Graham Henry as coach in 2001, to SCW's travelling circus in 2005, the last gasp loss and recrimination of 2009 and now the Gatland "too Welsh" meltdown that seems to be going on this time around.

It saddens me that with two fantastically entertaining and nervous test matches behind us and the prospect of an unpredictable finale that a large number of B&I fans seem to have written off the Lions or actively want them to lose to prove some kind of point. Is this same kind of attitude inherent within the camp I wonder?

Are the Lions beaten before they take to the field? and how many of these anti-fans will change their tune if the Lions turn on a stormer on Saturday and crush Australia to take out an historic first pro-era victory?

Last edited by GloriousEmpire on Thu 04 Jul 2013, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of History Repeating Empty Re: A Little Bit of History Repeating

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:31 pm

Is this supposed to prompt a debate?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:34 pm

Don't judge Oz...just watch.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:39 pm

History never repeats,
I tell myself before I go to sleep,
Dont say the words, you might regret. Ive lost before, you know I cant forget.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 03 Jul 2013, 11:54 pm

You say I always played the fool
I can't go on if that's the rule
Better to jump than hesitate
I need a change and I can't wait

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 04 Jul 2013, 12:01 am