The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Films you like which nobody else seems to have heard of

+20
Silver
Cyril
The Saint
kingjohn7
profitius
JuliusHMarx
Kenny
The Best in the World
westisbest
jimmyinthewell68
Mind the windows Tino.
Galted
superflyweight
hornbloweroafc
Stella
Adam D
ONETWOFOREVER
Cari
Luke
bhb001
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Films you like which nobody else seems to have heard of Empty Films you like which nobody else seems to have heard of

Post by bhb001 Sun 07 Jul 2013, 1:43 pm

This has probably been done before, but has anyone got an example of a little known film which is never discussed but you think is brilliant?

For me, it is the Ninth Configuration; written and directed by William Peter Blattey, who wrote the Exorcist. Lot's of good character actors in it and with wonderful quotable lines. I must have watched it 30 times over a couple of years back in the late 80s and have only ever seen it referred to once in an article. It probably doesn't date well, but still worth a couple of hours of anyone's time.

Any other examples?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Films you like which nobody else seems to have heard of Empty Re: Films you like which nobody else seems to have heard of

Post by Luke Sun 07 Jul 2013, 1:54 pm

Memento,

Very early Christopher Nolan film, starring Guy Pearce. Absolutely brilliant film, well acted quite hard to work out, and it certainly blags your head ( it's about a guy who suffers short term memory loss trying to work out who killed his wife, also it starts and ends at the end).
No one had heard or seen it, but I've leant the DVD to a few people, and they all love/like it. Well worth a watch.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Films you like which nobody else seems to have heard of Empty Re: Films you like which nobody else seems to have heard of

Post by Cari Sun 07 Jul 2013, 2:28 pm

Sweetie - a quirky 1989 Australian comedy drama written and directed by Jane Campion. The film explores two 20 something sisters and their dysfunctional family. Kay is gangly and slightly askew, consulting a fortune teller and then falling in love with a man because of a mole on his face and a lock of hair; then, falling out of love when he plants a tree in their yard. Sweetie is plump, imperious, self-centered, and seriously mentally ill. The parents see none of the illness, seeing only their cute child. Kay mainly feels exasperation at her sister's impositions. Slowly, the film exposes how the roots of Sweetie's illness have choked Kay's own development. I've only seen it on TV years ago, but haven't seen it since. There's a few TV movies I recall liking which have never been heard of since too.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 07 Jul 2013, 5:02 pm

13 assassins - blood, gore, Samuri, swords, revenge, honor, 13 against 200 yes thats 200.

watch it!

WATCH IT!

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 07 Jul 2013, 5:51 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Memento,

Very early Christopher Nolan film, starring Guy Pearce. Absolutely brilliant film, well acted quite hard to work out, and it certainly blags your head ( it's about a guy who suffers short term memory loss trying to work out who killed his wife,  also it starts and ends at the end).
No one had heard or seen it, but I've leant the DVD to a few people, and they all love/like it. Well worth a watch.
I would say that this is very highly regarded.

Got a lot of publicity when it came out.

Great film.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 07 Jul 2013, 6:05 pm

Mr Destiny

James Belushi facing a mid life crisis, re-lives a part of his life to see if it had turned out better. Not a greatbhit, but a really good film.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sun 07 Jul 2013, 7:16 pm

Adam D wrote:
tigerrobins wrote:Memento,

Very early Christopher Nolan film, starring Guy Pearce. Absolutely brilliant film, well acted quite hard to work out, and it certainly blags your head ( it's about a guy who suffers short term memory loss trying to work out who killed his wife,  also it starts and ends at the end).
I would say that this is very highly regarded.

Got a lot of publicity when it came out.

Great film.

Yeah. Tend to agree that this is a well known and well liked film. Really set the bar for his later efforts. Didn't do Guy Pearce any harm either

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Sun 07 Jul 2013, 8:00 pm

Killer clowns from outerspace - fantastic B movie!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 08 Jul 2013, 7:29 am

The Prophecy - Christopher Walken playing an evil, Archangel Gabriel, Viggo Mortensen playing the devil as a sleazy biker and Elias Koteas as a weary cop. Brilliant b movie and a bit of a lost treasure!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 8:16 am

superflyweight wrote:The Prophecy - Christopher Walken playing an evil, Archangel Gabriel, Viggo Mortensen playing the devil as a sleazy biker and Elias Koteas as a weary cop.  Brilliant b movie and a bit of a lost treasure!

I've seen this film a couple of times and totally agree. The disdain for humans from Walken is superb and well worth catching up with. They made Prophecy 2 and 3 if my memory serves me right, but obviously the franchise goes down hill a little in these installments.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 08 Jul 2013, 9:38 am

Lilya 4-Ever - girl tries to survive in an unnamed ex-Soviet country after being abandoned by her mother
Christiane F: We Children From Bahnhoff Zoo - girl & her friends battle heroin addiction in West Berlin in the 70s
Last Exit To Brooklyn - same director as Christiane F, based on the bizarre Hubert Selby Jr novel, interconnecting stories set in a rough Brooklyn neighbourhood in the 50s

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 08 Jul 2013, 10:23 am

The Changeling. It is an old 80's horror that scared the sh*t out of me the first time I saw it sometime in the 90's. I'm sure people have watched it but I haven't seen it mentioned on 606 before. Classic old style haunted house type film but really creepy in parts.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 10:24 am

Last Exit is a difficult film to watch in many ways, but a tour de force from Jennifer Jason Leigh. Absolutely cracking performance. I haven't heard of the other two so will have to keep an eye out for them. Cheers.

Black Pond was a film I watch a year ago, which is the only performance I can think of given by Chris Langham since leaving prison. Good low budget British film with an excellent performance by Chris Langham, which probably gets ignored due to his previous actions rather than the film itself.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 10:34 am

this prob well known film but i watched it recently,its called outland Sean connery in it . its a old film and he's got hair . its a high noon remake set on a mining station set in space . really good

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 2:00 pm

Uncle Google says it is called Outland. It does ring a bell, but I can't say hand on heart I've seen that one.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 08 Jul 2013, 3:42 pm

i enjoyed it    good film .i recommend it

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 08 Jul 2013, 3:52 pm

Club Paradise

Ski School.

Both funny films.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Best in the World Mon 08 Jul 2013, 5:16 pm

Circle of Eight- all right horror film, but none of my mates have ever heard of it!
Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny- perhaps one of my favourites of all time, purely because I know every word to every song in the film
The Best in the World
The Best in the World

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 09 Jul 2013, 1:07 pm

When Saturday Comes

Sean Bean gets to play for Sheffield United and score the winning goal against Man U

terrible acting , bad story ...................but i love it
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 4:58 pm

Kenny wrote:When Saturday Comes

Sean Bean gets to play for Sheffield United and score the winning goal against Man U

terrible acting , bad story ...................but i love it
yes seen that not many thirty year old men get football tryouts tho

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm

I like There's Only One Jimmy Grimble as well
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:21 pm

Kenny wrote:I like There's Only One Jimmy Grimble as well

Superb film, Kenny.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm

Stella wrote:
Kenny wrote:I like There's Only One Jimmy Grimble as well

Superb film, Kenny.

with a young Maria from Corrie in it
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:27 pm

Yep, even better!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:30 pm

Have you seen

I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle ... or ... Billy the Kid ? two cheapo british horrors
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Jul 2013, 8:59 pm

Judgement Night with Emilio Estevez & Cuba Gooding Jr. Quality bloke film.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:13 pm

John wrote:Judgement Night with Emilio Estevez & Cuba Gooding Jr. Quality bloke film.

Is that the one were they are in that big camper van thing going to a boxing match , then get stranded in the wrong side of town ?
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:15 pm

yeah

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:45 pm

Into the Night

Insignificance

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm

I had to look them two up. Both with good, well known cast members so will have to keep an eye for them. Apparently Into the night was directed by john landis as well, so some good pedigree there

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 09 Jul 2013, 9:59 pm

Anyone seen Psychomania? Definitely a guilty pleasure that one. Seventies British horror at it's most mediocre. But i still enjoy it. Especially when they all go off to kill themselves. Wonderfully ridiculous scene.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 7:57 am

can any one can remember battle beyond the stars . basically magnificent seven in space . the actor who plays john boy in it .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 11 Jul 2013, 10:56 am

Kenny wrote:
John wrote:Judgement Night with Emilio Estevez & Cuba Gooding Jr. Quality bloke film.

Is that the one were they are in that big camper van thing going to a boxing match , then get stranded in the wrong side of town ?

Its a quality fim.

Bought the DVD a few weeks ago.

Decent cast.

Emilio Estevez
Cuba Gooding Jnr
Stephen Dorff
Jeremy Piven

Denis Leary

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:20 am

a few more for the collection, don't think they're too widely known:
Talk Radio - imo Oliver Stone's only decent work, about a radio talk show host who spends his time getting a rise out of the callers
Milagro Beanfield War - a subsistence farmer's battle against big business, more interesting & humourous than I just made it sound
Barfly - Mickey Rourke at his best playing alcoholic writer, Charles Bukowski
Gummo - a definite love it or hate it, most people hate it

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 11 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm

A few others that come to mind:

Lone Star - great Western drama in which Kris Kristoffersen investigates a 40 year old murder which may or may not have been committed by his father.

The Witchfinder General - Vincent Price plays a corrupt "witchfinder" during the English civil war.

Shock Corridor - Sam Fuller film about a journalist that goes undercover into a mental asylum in order to solve a murder.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:can any one can remember battle beyond the stars . basically magnificent seven in space .  the actor who plays john boy in it .

Didn't it also have one of the Magnificent Seven in it as well? I seem to remember the one who had lost his nerve being in it.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 11 Jul 2013, 1:06 pm

All three look worth a try, can't find the Witchfinder General on Lovefilm though - can see where Monkey Dust got the idea for the Paedofinder General.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 11 Jul 2013, 1:11 pm

Only ever seen Witchfinder General on tv, Galted. Am sure its out there somewhere and definitely worth looking out for. Directed by Michael Reeves who was a bit of a prodigy but died young after making only 3 films. Price is brilliantly horrible in it.

Monkey Dust was brilliant!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 5:40 pm

bhb001 wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:can any one can remember battle beyond the stars . basically magnificent seven in space .  the actor who plays john boy in it .

Didn't it also have one of the Magnificent Seven in it as well? I seem to remember the one who had lost his nerve being in it.
that's right Robert vaughn was in both playing nearly enough the same character

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 13 Jul 2013, 6:40 pm

The stoned age (1994) - Teen comedy about 2 rocker dudes on a quest to hook up with a couple of chicks. It takes place mostly over one night. I remember watching it on Bravo late one night after coming home from a club. Its on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNJ4TN7RFxY
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 13 Jul 2013, 7:08 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
bhb001 wrote:

that's right  Robert vaughn was in both  playing nearly enough the same character

It also had George Peppard in it (and Myriam Margoyles as the Valkyrie with the massive norks!)

I loved that film growing up. Roger Corman at his best.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:47 pm

Another film i can watch again and again which really isn't very good but i love is Trick or Treat

Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 8:25 am

Kenny wrote:Another film i can watch again and again which really isn't very good but i love is Trick or Treat

If that's the one from 2007, I may have to look it up. It sounds fun from the review. Good, mindless fun

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Tue 16 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

bhb001 wrote:
Kenny wrote:Another film i can watch again and again which really isn't very good but i love is Trick or Treat

If that's the one from 2007, I may have to look it up. It sounds fun from the review. Good, mindless fun

That one isn't bad actually , but no i ment the 1986 film about a dead rock star coming back to life and trying to kill everyone ( there are cameos from Ozzy Osbourne and Gene Simmons in it )
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 16 Jul 2013, 4:30 pm

Film called Unknown (not with Liam Neeson) stars Jim Caviezel and Barry Pepper. Its been a while since I saw it but basically 5 guys wake up in a locked wharehouse with no memory. They have to figure out whats what and whos bad/good to try and survive and get out.
Its pretty good and am surprised hardly anyone has seen or even heard of it.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 17 Jul 2013, 9:33 pm

I've seen Unknown kingjohn but I don't remember any of that happening? Neeson gets separated from his wife and is then in an accident. He returns, but with some memory loss and finds that his wife doesn't know him and people are trying to kill him.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 17 Jul 2013, 9:52 pm

Kenny wrote:
bhb001 wrote:

That one isn't bad actually , but no i ment the 1986 film about a dead rock star coming back to life and trying to kill everyone ( there are cameos from Ozzy Osbourne and Gene Simmons in it )

I like that film but havent seen it in a while.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 18 Jul 2013, 7:59 am

The Saint wrote:I've seen Unknown kingjohn but I don't remember any of that happening? Neeson gets separated from his wife and is then in an accident. He returns, but with some memory loss and finds that his wife doesn't know him and people are trying to kill him.

To be fair to kingjohn, he did say NOT the one with Liam Neeson in it

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 18 Jul 2013, 9:44 am

The Bothersome Man (Den brysomme mannen)

Brilliant Norwegian film about a dystopian future.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 18 Jul 2013, 11:33 am

Cheers Cyril. Just the words Norwegian and dystopian future make me want to dig this film out! Right down my street!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next