The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashes: First Test

+29
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Gregers
hampo17
Breadvan
VTR
seanmichaels
Fists of Fury
GSC
guildfordbat
liverbnz
msp83
Hibbz
Dolphin Ziggler
Hoggy_Bear
NickisBHAFC
trebellbobaggins
Duty281
Mike Selig
Good Golly I'm Olly
alfie
hodge
Scrumpy
kingraf
Gerry SA
subhranshu.kumar.5
mystiroakey
JDizzle
KP_fan
33 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Ashes: First Test - Page 16 Empty Ashes: First Test

Post by KP_fan Wed 10 Jul 2013, 4:54 am

First topic message reminder :

It's weird...no thread on T1 yet
Ashton Agar will play is the breaking news.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Ashes: First Test - Page 16 Empty Re: Ashes: First Test

Post by alfie Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:22 am

Duty281 wrote:
alfie wrote:I am no pessimist , Duty...but I reckon this one is over.

After that Agar innings , I think it is written...

Would love to be proved wrong , but I can see England struggling to get any sort of serious lead ...this could be finished some time tomorrow.

Series as a whole is a different matter ...England can regroup. But their selectors will have more to think about than Austraia for a change.

Lot of legs left in this game yet. This partnership between Cook and KP is crucial to the game. If they can bat till stumps, the game takes an entirely different complexion.

You are right of course. But that is a big "if". I guess I just have had a bad feeling about this game since the immediate post lunch session.

Hopefully I will be wrong...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:26 am

I think the third umpire is getting some unfair flack here. Hotspot is what you go by when it comes to inside edges, due to whatever reasons, it showed nothing. Without an edge, Trott was a dead duck. The third umpire had no option but to give that out.
Perhaps unfortunate for Trott, he might have hit it, but its the problem with the DRS technology, or to be more precise the operation of the technology rather than an issue with the umpire.
There is still some work to do with DRS.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:28 am

kingraf wrote:

JDizzle - Its okay... It didnt help you one iota, so you wouldnt remember it.  

Jacques is a bunny in England with or without DRS. If you don't count the Oval as in England. Which I don't. Very Happy 

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:28 am

"We all shagged Matilda" sing some rather drunk Englishmen. Laugh

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:28 am

Spot on MSP... If the umpire doesnt go by the technology available, then we have to rely on intangibles such as 'common sense', which defeats the purpose of technology-driven review systems...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:29 am

why wouldnt you count the oval being in england silly!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:29 am

kingraf wrote:Always some one else's fault, ey?? I remember  people saying Rogers must just take his medicine, these things happen... Guess it different when youre 11-2 effectively -55/2....

Stop stirring , kingraf Smile 

You know full well this incident was a totally different matter. Rogers was legally given out ...under the rules there was no dispute. He might well have got away with it , but could have no complaints that he didn't . In this case , if Trott did indeed get an edge , then he has a right to be aggrieved at being given out by a TV reviewer who didn't have access to the key technology ...

It is history now anyway.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:30 am

msp83 wrote:I think the third umpire is getting some unfair flack here. Hotspot is what you go by when it comes to inside edges, due to whatever reasons, it showed nothing. Without an edge, Trott was a dead duck. The third umpire had no option but to give that out.
Perhaps unfortunate for Trott, he might have hit it, but its the problem with the DRS technology, or to be more precise the operation of the technology rather than an issue with the umpire.

I'd agree with you, had the hot spot from side on showed nothing. Front on hot spot is rarely ever going to show an inside edge, unless it's a very thick one. This one wasn't, but just looking at the replay there is a significant change in the ball's direction after it passes the bat. Either he hit it, or it chose that moment to swing prodigiously. Given the original verdict of not out, I think Trott can feel very harshly treated on this occasion. If it had originally been given out, it would have been understandable and I wouldn't have complained too much Wink

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:30 am

JDizzle - thats fine, but Trott sucks... With or without the UDRS, if you dont count his actual record... which I dont.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:31 am

Duty281 wrote:"We all shagged Matilda" sing some rather drunk Englishmen. Laugh

Brings back memories of my friends phoning from the back of a taxi in Sydney after RWC 2003 and shouting that down the phone. The only spanner in the works was that my then 4 year old son had picked up the phone not me Doh 

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:31 am

kingraf wrote:Spot on MSP... If the umpire doesnt go by the technology available, then we have to rely on intangibles such as 'common sense', which defeats the purpose of technology-driven review systems...    

or even eyesight, that terribly old-fashioned thing Wink

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:32 am

kingraf wrote:JDizzle - thats fine, but Trott sucks... With or without the UDRS, if you dont count his actual record... which I dont.

you mean he sucks because he chose the nation that made him the player he is today Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:32 am

kingraf wrote:JDizzle - thats fine, but Trott sucks... With or without the UDRS, if you dont count his actual record... which I dont.

he sucks in every way except his actual performances or stats overall.

He just had a bad one at a time that's seen his team lose sadly.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:33 am

Have no fear, an Englishman is happiest in a time of adversity and strife.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:33 am

Alfie - Heres the issue... The Umpire didnt see a edge on hotspot, Im assuming UDRS takes hot spot over anything.. So under the rules... Trott was out. Maybe if he got the side view, it could have been different. But it wasnt...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:35 am

That's fine. Because England are a better side than SA. If you ignore the last series, which I do.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:36 am

msp83 wrote:I think the third umpire is getting some unfair flack here. Hotspot is what you go by when it comes to inside edges, due to whatever reasons, it showed nothing. Without an edge, Trott was a dead duck. The third umpire had no option but to give that out.

But that is just the point , msp . The hotspot camera from side on , the view that was needed to be sure , wasn't working...

As the field umpire had ruled not out , Erasmus had to be quite certain there was clear evidence to over rule . And obviously , without hotspot , there wasn't.

So Erasmus has exceeded his authority in letting his opinion prevail over the on field call. Regardless of fact , he was wrong in law

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:36 am

I think hot spot is very outdated tech to be honest- we have had problems before in cerain conditions where spots just randomly appear on the bat when nothing has touched it..

If we have a rev counter then that could be used at impact or non impact instead..- If there is no change at this point then it hasnt been hit

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:36 am

Ooh, things just got real... Sarcasm is being responded to with witty, sniping comments.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:38 am

kingraf wrote:Alfie - Heres the issue... The Umpire didnt see a edge on hotspot, Im assuming UDRS takes hot spot over anything.. So under the rules... Trott was out. Maybe if he got the side view, it could have been different. But it wasnt...  

Well you see , that is just a wrong interpretation of the laws ...see my reply to msp.

Anyway , nothing will change it now , so on with the game.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:39 am

oh goodness sake. you're on a forum not xbox flipping live.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:40 am

alfie wrote:

But that is just the point , msp .  The hotspot camera from side on , the view that was needed to be sure , wasn't working...

As the field umpire had ruled not out , Erasmus had to be quite certain there was clear evidence to over rule . And obviously , without hotspot , there wasn't.

So Erasmus has exceeded his authority in letting his opinion prevail over the on field call.  Regardless of fact , he was wrong in law

This

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:41 am

JDizzle - Which is fine because england cant bowl, if you ignore the mid morning collapse, which I do... Anderson remains a club bowler...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:42 am

so bias has come into poor decision making?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:43 am

kingraf wrote:JDizzle - Which is fine because england cant bowl, if you ignore the mid morning collapse, which I do... Anderson remains a club bowler...  

cowpat.  as stupid a comment as I've seen even counting the utter cowpat that I spout.

I think a few more years of ups and downs, seeing that sports go in cycles and seeing your amazing guys struggle and face reality one day may help lose the hubris.

Last edited by trebellbobaggins on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:44 am

I dont know Alfie, I must be honest, but if you start ignoring hot-spot, then its not that big a jump before we ignore hawk-eye, because 'it just looks high'... They need to sure up the technology, for sure, though.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:45 am

I feel most sorry for Dar really: he's made what IMO was a quite brilliant decision (everyone thought it was out live), and has had it overturned. Poor lad Sad

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:45 am

Cook and KP have seen through the first 45 minutes of this session. Nothing in this for the convicts, nothing at all. Keep batting, and batting, and batting.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:46 am

Duty281 wrote:Cook and KP have seen through the first 45 minutes of this session. Nothing in this for the convicts, nothing at all. Keep batting, and batting, and batting.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:46 am

Trebell - Mate lighten up... I think its quite obvious JDizzle and I are making intentionally ridiculous claims... Seriously...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:46 am

kingraf wrote:I dont know Alfie, I must be honest, but if you start ignoring hot-spot, then its not that big a jump before we ignore hawk-eye, because 'it just looks high'... They need to sure up the technology, for sure, though.  

there wasnt anything to ignore- hotspot didnt work in this case.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:47 am

I hope so.. if you're deliberately being as stupid as me then as you were.

I just apologise then for misreading the tone and for setting a precedent for stupidity.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:48 am

trebellbobaggins wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Cook and KP have seen through the first 45 minutes of this session. Nothing in this for the convicts, nothing at all. Keep batting, and batting, and batting.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I am an Englishman, and I fear no jinx.

Bit like Bumble on Sky, who's just admitted to giving plenty of abuse back on Twitter. He fears no tweeter. Laugh

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:48 am

As long as no one talks about england for a bit I am happy.

As you were...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:49 am

At least we're taking a Test match approach to batting this time around, not a one-day approach.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:49 am

We all fear the jinx duty. You knows it..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:50 am

duty we were pants for decades and we look on the edge of being old ladies bloomers for years again.

how can you be so confident?

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:51 am

nice shot KP...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:52 am

All is forgiven mate... The quote function refuses to work properly on my mobile so I can see why you missed it...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:53 am

trebellbobaggins wrote:duty we were pants for decades and we look on the edge of being old ladies bloomers for years again.

how can you be so confident?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20491274
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/20656510
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/14516554
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/9325266.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/8434398.stm

With me Trebbs: En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:54 am

well fair point but they didn't have the new world best young Agar Mcbabydrawers did they!!

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:54 am

So you admit that Jimmy is better than Styen and philander combined !

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:55 am

The two, there on the field are surely the best batsman round the world now. Solid defense from these two and along with that superb drives just let us enjoy the beauty of this beautiful game.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:55 am

I must say, I love people like Duty, so proud of their country, so convinced that they are the greatest in everything. The world needs more optimists...

Good on you mate.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:56 am

Our slow-left-arm batsman, Panesar, hero of Cardiff and Auckland, is surely better than Agar, no?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:57 am

Seriously think Agar should concentrate on batting rather than bowling. He played some wonderful shots out there, and has a good eye obviously. His bowling so far has been less the impressive

Still plenty of time to go in this game yet lads. All 3 results possible
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:57 am

Duty281 wrote:Our slow-left-arm batsman, Panesar, hero of Cardiff and Auckland, is surely better than Agar, no?

with the bat? hell no.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:58 am

mystiroakey wrote:So you admit that Jimmy is better than Styen and philander combined !

From where this discussion comes. Steyn undoubtabely the best in the world. Comparison not fair.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:59 am

Monty did it in a pressure situation.. When Agar dives like Monty did for his country in that type of situ then we can talk

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:59 am

kingraf wrote:I must say, I love people like Duty, so proud of their country, so convinced that they are the greatest in everything. The world needs more optimists...

Good on you mate.

Well optimists do live longer and all that.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next