The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxers and their ridiculous comments

+2
hampo17
bhb001
6 posters

Go down

Boxers and their ridiculous comments Empty Boxers and their ridiculous comments

Post by bhb001 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 8:29 am

There are often stories based on a ridiculous comment from a boxer. Froch "Only British fighter better than me is Lewis" is a good example. "I'll fight the MMA champion" is another. Taken that boxers actually made these comments, how much do you think it is either: -

1. The press goading a naive boxer into making an off the cuff comment in an intensive interview and then use this one stupid comment to base a 500 word article on or

2. The boxer's desperation to be constantly in the lime light (the fame culture today) and therefore throw out these comments knowing they will be reported.

I think it is a mix between the two with the twitter users falling more into camp two than one, but I do think there is a fair amount of mutual exploitation going on. Taking Froch, Khan and even Fury on one to one relaxed interviews, they all come across as pretty sound lads, so how do they manage to continually to come across as idiots in reports? Exploiter or exploitee?

Last edited by bhb001 on Wed 24 Jul 2013, 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Boxers and their ridiculous comments Empty Re: Boxers and their ridiculous comments

Post by hampo17 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 8:43 am

I think sometimes with the press they report the things people want to hear, for example Amir Khan could get asked ten questions about his next fight but just one about fighting Floyd Mayweather JR and you can guarantee it will be the Mayweather story that is reported, and widely taken out of context.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Boxers and their ridiculous comments Empty Re: Boxers and their ridiculous comments

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 10:55 am

"The only weight problem Curry had was when he got hit by my right hand..welterweight, middle or heavy I'd knock Curry out....As for Starling I hate him...just a big gob journeyman and I'm going to ram my fist down his throat".........

Sure..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by RatBoy66 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 11:41 am

"Honeyghan is taking a hell of a gamble fighting me. He should have just sat it out until I give up the title to fight as a light-middleweight."

RatBoy66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 11:45 am

Breland - "That wasn't Curry in there"............20-14 after two rounds.

Starling - "Honeyghan is an ordinary fighter that got lucky..Any featherweight could have beaten Curry that night"............8-0 after 8 rounds..

Ko magazine - "Honeyghan wasn't a slouch though"...thumbsup 

Leave it to the experts I say............Cool Cool Very Happy 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 11:59 am

So what you are saying are that stupid statements aren't anything new. I think the frequency of them has increased and the manner in which they are picked up has changed.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:23 pm

Social media.

If a boxer said something ridiculous to the media 20 years ago, it'd get reported in a newspaper, and unless it was a huge fight, unless you read the newspaper or knew someone who loved boxing - it wouldn't get around. Now though, the smallest thing from these "celebrities" goes viral. Tyson Fury tells over 100,000 on a daily basis how he's the greatest ever - arguments start and the fact is, it helps build interest. I hate it, but thats how it is. The way news is broadcast is so different. Look at SSN, the smallest rumour goes on their website and gets quoted as fact. Rodgers said "Suarez is worth more than what people have bid" and Sky create a story that we're willing to sell at the right price. They take the tinyest parts of press conferences and interviews, blow them up and create articles. Its ridiculous.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 24 Jul 2013, 8:19 pm

Look, it was early and I was bored!! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 24 Jul 2013, 8:26 pm

bhb001 wrote:So what you are saying are that stupid statements aren't anything new. I think the frequency of them has increased and the manner in which they are picked up has changed.

Duke Mckenzies acsent to the Mic probably had a lot to do with it methinks.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down