The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super Rugby playoff Lions vs. Kings Friday 26th July

3 posters

Go down

Super Rugby playoff Lions vs. Kings Friday 26th July Empty Super Rugby playoff Lions vs. Kings Friday 26th July

Post by fa0019 Wed 24 Jul 2013 - 15:06

The SA super rugby playoff between the Lions & the Kings is surely going to be a dog fight of a series and one which continues to be controversial with the SA public.

For me, the Kings have done reasonably well this year, it would be a shame for their tenure to be cut short and all their investment wasted. However their place was only assured via the relegation of the Jo’burg Lions, the weakest SR side over the last 5 years prior to 2013 and it was done so unfairly, not through performances on the pitch in domestic SA rugby (Currie Cup).
Who is stronger??? The Lions have looked good in their friendly matches leading up to the games but doing well in friendlies is one thing, playing full strength sides is another. They have the return of players like Elton Jantjies too (although given his form I’m not sure on whether this is a good thing or not).

I think the Kings at the moment hold the cards. They are a decent outfit and are at home for the first leg.... put in a good performance and they may be too strong to overcome. They certainly have the upper hand in playing more top class rugby.
I myself would prefer to see the return of the Lions. They have endured much difficulty over the last few years and both on and off the pitch they have been badly managed. Yet that doesn’t take away the point that they deserved their place as a SR franchise. Being the worst of the 5 doesn’t mean they should be replaced.... not when there is no credible replacement (from a purely rugby point of view).
I think the franchise who will suffer most with losing is the Lions. They will lose many of their players, both their current squad and their juniors who will look to SR franchise based sides first. With Soccer city also being used more often, Ellis Park may see a reduction in springbok games. The promise of super rugby in 2016 may not be enough to keep them afloat... but it will probably be good enough for the kings.

Lets hope that the rugby is good however and whilst the best team should win, I’m hoping that team is the Lions.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Super Rugby playoff Lions vs. Kings Friday 26th July Empty Re: Super Rugby playoff Lions vs. Kings Friday 26th July

Post by doctor_grey Wed 24 Jul 2013 - 17:39

This is a kind of lousy thing. Doesn't really seem like there are any winners here. Just a possible club/team which doesn't lose. To me, the Kings played so much better than anyone (or at least I) expected. And they represented their followers well. Would be a shame for them to fall back. But I can also see the Lions dererving their place, considering how everything unfolded.

But I will want to watch. Players playing with desparation can make exceptional sport. But I will absolutely not be pulling for one side or the other.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Super Rugby playoff Lions vs. Kings Friday 26th July Empty Re: Super Rugby playoff Lions vs. Kings Friday 26th July

Post by doctor_grey Wed 24 Jul 2013 - 18:08

This is Great Stuff.
The two motivational videos made fior the Lions and for the Kings
Not joking, this is real good.

Love the Rocky Balboa line:
"Its not how hard you can hit.
Its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forwards.
Its about how much you can take and keep moving forwards.
That's how winning is done"
Life lesson.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 24 Jul 2013 - 19:49

No matter who wins, both teams are losing out ultimately.

Sponsors are reluctant to commit longterm to either team, players aren't keen to sign longterm and fans don't buy season tickets.

A royal F Up by SARU
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down