The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Chiefs' chiefs

3 posters

Go down

The Chiefs' chiefs Empty The Chiefs' chiefs

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 11 May 2011, 2:24 pm

Congratulations to the following award winners at Exeter this year:

Players' player of the season: James Hanks;

Supporters' player of the season: Tom Johnson;

Most tries in the Year: Matt Jess;

Most Improved Player: Matt Jess;

Try of the Season: Tom Johnson versus Harlequins (H);

Captain's Cup: Tom Hayes;

Community Cup: Chris Bentley.

From the AP awards ceremony held yesterday:
"Their captain Tom Hayes was named Captain of the ESPN Dream Team as selected by ESPN analysts Austin Healey and Ben Kay. The duo selected Hayes as the captain of their team for his inspirational leadership of Exeter Chiefs in their first season of Aviva Premiership Rugby and the Irishman leads a team comprising five Northampton Saints, three Saracens, three Leicester Tigers, two Harlequins and one from Newcastle Falcons.

Hayes' team-mate Tom Johnson won the Gatorade Performance of the Season Award for his efforts in the Chiefs' round nine Aviva Premiership Rugby victory over Sale Sharks in November."

And an honourable mention to returning Chief Kevin Barrett: "Concluding the list of award winners was Saracens scrum half Kevin Barrett who was named the inaugural J.P. Morgan Asset Management Premiership Rugby 7s Series Player of the Season. Barrett used all his England 7s experience to lead a young and talented Saracens squad to the first ever J.P. Morgan 7s title as they beat Newcastle Falcons in the final at Bath's Recreation Ground."

Have to believe that Rob Baxter pushed Jim Mallinder close for the the Director of Rugby of the Season. Also kudos to Sireli Naqelevuki who is one of the nominations for the Sunday Times Try of the Year organised by the Rugby Players Association for his try in Exeter's Aviva Premiership victory at home to Northampton Saints.

One helluva year for the Chiefs thumbsup

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

The Chiefs' chiefs Empty Re: The Chiefs' chiefs

Post by On-the-Soar Wed 11 May 2011, 9:58 pm

Been a great year for you - excellent stuff! You certainly gave us a huge, unexpected scare at Welford Road earlier in the season!

I really don't understand all those people who argue against promotion/relegation. The system seems to jolt some teams - such as Quins and Saints - out of some sort of lethargic decline and they come back stronger. For others - such as Exeter - it allows new talent, or slowly emerging quality, to come through into the top tier. I look forward to new blood in the Prem next year, even if it is Worcester bouncing back! Pity the Pirates can't get promoted because of inadequate facilities.

Final thought, if Saints win the HEC and Quins win the Challenge Cup, will the Chiefs go through to Europe as the 8th placed club?

On-the-Soar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 12 May 2011, 7:42 pm

No, England can only have a maximum of 7, so Quins will qualify if either they or Saints win a European trophy.

Chiefs will play in the Amlin
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2011, 8:05 pm

I'm glad Chiefs are in the Amlin (for next season anyway). I am hoping that Dragons draw them in something and that it's played before mid November (and my enforced "holiday"). At least then I know I have a good tour guide available in Aslongas.

Good season for the Chiefs indeed and I'm sure all involved are glad they can build on this season and maybe push for a Heineken place next year.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 13 May 2011, 3:47 pm

Rev, That would indeed be grand, and at last I'll have an excuse to sample the delights of Dave Parade!! Did you see that Budgie has been nominated for AP Players' Player of the season? - not bad for a 38-yr old!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 May 2011, 11:00 am

Not bad at all. I didn't see it no.

Did Budgen still play for Exe much in the past few weeks? If he did, I guess he doesn't need to train with the Army too much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down