The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Degale, too inactive!

+9
Seanusarrilius
mobilemaster8
TopHat24/7
milkyboy
ONETWOFOREVER
Rowley
Snakeyman123
88Chris05
tunes666
13 posters

Go down

James Degale, too inactive!  Empty James Degale, too inactive!

Post by tunes666 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 12:11 am

Clearly he left Warren to get more fights, but to be honest he still seems to be going slow. While I think he has looked good he has still had a few flaws and has apparently got over a knee injury.. I really think he needs to be fighting more, he should already have a fight lined up and keeping active.

Apparently Top Rank are interested in him, I wonder if he has already got fed up of Hennessy and looking to go to the States for more action?, if so would he bring McDonnell with him?..

I think the only thing missing is more fights and a crack at Bika could be winnable.. his career has been unnecessarily frustrating to watch so far and while Groves is preparing for the Froch fight Degale must be feeling a bit left out..

He does have an exciting road ahead if they pull their act together... f he can take the belt of Bika then that would open the door to fight Froch as well, unless Groves pulls it off, and then we would get the Groves Degale rematch...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

James Degale, too inactive!  Empty Re: James Degale, too inactive!

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 12:32 am

In fairness, after making the switch from Warren over to Fat Mick, DeGale has boxed four times in about ten months. Nothing lined up right now, true, but as long as he's not waiting for too much longer the problem with inactivity looks like being solved, bit by bit.

The real problem now is the fact that he just seems to have stagnated in the past couple of years, and also trying to find him legitimate, worthwhile opponents. He's plateaued somewhat, as he's clearly too good for domestic level but isn't looking like a world level fighter, either. In between that, there are obviously some good fighters and gatekeepers around, but in giving up his EBU belt in favour of that ridiculous WBC 'Silver' title he's put himself in a position where he's compelled to fight guys high up with the WBC and nobody else, which lessens his options a little.

DeGale's desire to fast track himself to a world title fight, and Hennessy's going along with it, may well prove to be his undoing. I think he'd find himself bullied and pushed around by Bika if they were to fight right now as DeGale just doesn't seem to be able to impose his will on opponents or keep them off him, and while his speed and unorthodoxy marks him out at the lower to middle levels, he just doesn't seem interested in sharpening up the other aspects of his game. He and McDonnell should know by now that his current style on its own is never going to be good enough.

If the Top Rank rumour is true then I think DeGale should jump at the opportunity, as he's just not much of an attraction to the major players at 168 as it stands, and the extra promotional clout would improve his chances of being matched with some more experienced, tricky and tough nuts to stand him in better stead before he takes on the likes of Bika.

Difficult to tell whether or not the future is particularly bright for DeGale right now, but one thing I'd definitely say is that he's not ready for the top men in the division as it stands.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:28 am

Still does not sit down on his punches..does not generate any real power. Pretty but ineffective.

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:49 am

Snakeyman123 wrote:Still does not sit down on his punches..does not generate any real power. Pretty but ineffective.

While he does not have full KO power, I think he is still a spiteful puncher, just seems to let them recover and not finish them off.... the Mohoumadi fight did not look good but other than that I think people have been feeling his punches... Since he says his knee is better he has been throwing more angles and moving more..

I think he wants to be like Ward and fight inside on the ropes and he is ok at it but Ward does it its like no one can hit the guy where Degale runs it a bit close at times..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 31 Jul 2013, 7:42 am

88Chris05 wrote:

The real problem now is the fact that he just seems to have stagnated in the past couple of years, and also trying to find him legitimate, worthwhile opponents. He's plateaued somewhat, as he's clearly too good for domestic level but isn't looking like a world level fighter, either. In between that, there are obviously some good fighters and gatekeepers around, but in giving up his EBU belt in favour of that ridiculous WBC 'Silver' title he's put himself in a position where he's compelled to fight guys high up with the WBC and nobody else, which lessens his options a little.

Would tend to agree Degale is at a place where he needs to be taking on gatekeeper kind of guys but suspect he may find this difficult as he simply does not draw crowds over here. Someone, believe it was Valero posted a thread about attending Degales last fight and he said there were little more than a few hundred there. If this is going to be par for the course getting over half decent opposition and paying both them and Degale what they expect is going to be tricky for Hennessy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 31 Jul 2013, 8:28 am

First off Hennessy is the problem.

Secondly fighting on channel 5 has done nothing for Degale. Fighting in shopping centers can't be good for anyone. I know he sees it as beneath him but maybe he should challenge Eubanks jr for exposure.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 31 Jul 2013, 9:24 am

He looked like a pretty poor, one trick pony against both the polish guy, who's name I'm not going to attempt to spell, and mohoumadi.

The same polish guy couldn't take a round off Abraham. Think that emphasises the improvement chunky needs to make. Although he hasn't had that many fights he's into his late 20's. Talented but is he going to be zble to make the step up? Maybe, he's just too stupid to learn...Makes khan look like mastermind.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 31 Jul 2013, 9:30 am

Ironic really milky when one thinks of the three guys Warren bought post olympics in Gavin Degale and Saunders, Degale was the gold medallist, Gavin was considered one of our finest amateurs ever and Saunders was almost seen as the runt of the litter. Of the three you would probably back Saunders at the minute to achieve the most as a pro.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 31 Jul 2013, 9:31 am

Degale won gold Khan won silver.

Warren did enough for Khan to get him recognition here and abroad. Degale made the decision to leave Warren which imo has backfired. I think Warren would have done a better job then Hennersy has done up to now. James only has himself to blame.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 31 Jul 2013, 9:59 am

Rowley wrote:Ironic really milky when one thinks of the three guys Warren bought post olympics in Gavin Degale and Saunders, Degale was the gold medallist, Gavin was considered one of our finest amateurs ever and Saunders was almost seen as the runt of the litter. Of the three you would probably back Saunders at the minute to achieve the most as a pro.

That's how they were viewed rowls yeh. I actually picked Saunders as the one whose style I liked best for the pro's from that Olympics.. Liked the look of Darren Sutherland too RIP. Funnily enough the more others are getting on the bjs train the less convinced I've been by him. Missed his last couple of fights though and apparently he's looked good. Not sure about his power and stamina, still like him as a fighter though.

Up until the groves fight I'd been pleasantly surprised by de gale, maybe just one of those fighters, as mentioned earlier in the thread whose style looks great against poorer opposition but not so much when the competition hots up.  Maybe a poor man's herol graham in that respect?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 10:31 am

JDG needs to drop his prat of a trainer for a start. Haven't seen any improvement from him since the Groves fight and that's because his delusional butt-licking trainer won't stand up to deGale's ego and tell him something's wrong and how to fix it.

If Top Rank is true he DEFINITELY needs to take it. People have lost interest over here and he's fighting in leisure centres on dross undercards with poor attendence.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 10:37 am

His pulling power is very poor probably due to his pathetic personality pre Groves.

I think he can grab a title for sure and i think he is better than Groves if im honest but hey that's just me.

With that in mind, imagine if he fought Ward??

Would be Wards camp, De Gales camp and then family members in the crowd.

Oh, and it will be in wards garden accompanied with a nice BBQ.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:39 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:First off Hennessy is the problem.

Secondly fighting on channel 5 has done nothing for Degale. Fighting in shopping centers can't be good for anyone. I know he sees it as beneath him but maybe he should challenge Eubanks jr for exposure.

Eubank Jnr is hardly selling places out him self, and Degale is quite a big Super Middleweight and Eubank is a Middleweight, Eubank does not really want that fight as he would get battered, he is just putting his name out there..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 31 Jul 2013, 1:49 pm

Degale's biggest issue is that his career is going round in circles. He isn't improving and he isn't stepping up in class. Needs a new trainer and should go to states and get quality sparing and some better fights. He is just circling the tank as it stands.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:04 pm

milkyboy wrote:

The same polish guy couldn't take a round off Abraham. Think that emphasises the improvement chunky needs to make. Although he hasn't had that many fights he's into his late 20's. Talented but is he going to be zble to make the step up? Maybe, he's just too stupid to learn...Makes khan look like mastermind.

To be fair I don't think Degale got credit enough there.. He had just lost a paper thin decision to Groves who most had Degale winning, and at 12 fights went straight back in against an experienced hungry and durable Euro belt holder... And despite some of the flaws he showed he was the clear winner.

But To be honest Abraham was boring as hell against Wilczewski and just had his high guard up and countered with hard shots, ok his game plan worked well and he won easy.. But Wilczewski was never really hurt in the fight even though he was coming forward all night.

Against Degale over all Degale out-boxed Wilczewski and hurt him 2 or 3 times, the SD was a bit kind to Wilcz if you ask me, But James also left him self open and got buzzed him self when he was caught by a great punch and this made the fight closer than it should have been .. You would expect to see these flaws as a fighter is fighting 10-15 fights..

Against Mohoumadi he did not look great at all, but people forget that he was out of action for a long time fighting legal battles and was meant to also be injured.

I thought he looked better against Zuniga and onwards..

One thing about Degale is he does seem to have a pretty good chin and a bit of heart. but I agree he has allways come across a bit to fragile and I imagin not easy to teach. I remember when some famous boxer (cant remember who it was now) visited Degale in his Gym and a comment Mcdonnell made while in a jokey way did get me thinking ... "well its good to have him hear as its someone he listens to" ..

And the way his corner was against Groves was very childish and "follow the leader" kind of thing.. No discipline. for me this is the main flaw with Degale, he needs a good clip around the ear and learn how to come in the ring a little bit more afraid.

for me its annoying to watch as I think he could be a great champ...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:08 pm

Not sure it is accurate to say most had Degale winning Tunes, if memory serves opinion was very much split on that one, certainly if here is a decent barometer. Think if anything the consensus was probably with George.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:10 pm

Rowley wrote:Not sure it is accurate to say most had Degale winning Tunes, if memory serves opinion was very much split on that one, certainly if here is a decent barometer. Think if anything the consensus was probably with George.

Had it degale by one...but no complaints..about the decision..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:17 pm

Degale's been ruined by Warren. Frank let his hatred for David Haye (over his refusal to sign with him) blind him to everything else and he put Degale and Groves together with a view to getting one over on Hayemaker Promotions but it came back and bit them in the rear end spectacularly.

Degale could go to America...and stay there!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:18 pm

No..He put them together because like the rest of us he saw Degale winning easily..

Think you're wrong on this one Mate..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:30 pm

tunes666 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:

To be fair I don't think Degale got credit enough there.. He had just lost a paper thin decision to Groves who most had Degale winning, and at 12 fights went straight back in against an experienced hungry and durable Euro belt holder... And despite some of the flaws he showed he was the clear winner.

But To be honest Abraham was boring as hell against Wilczewski and just had his high guard up and countered with hard shots, ok his game plan worked well and he won easy.. But Wilczewski was never really hurt in the fight even though he was coming forward all night.

Against Degale over all Degale out-boxed Wilczewski and hurt him 2 or 3 times, the SD was a bit kind to Wilcz if you ask me, But James also left him self open and got buzzed him self when he was caught by a great punch and this made the fight closer than it should have been .. You would expect to see these flaws as a fighter is fighting 10-15 fights..

Against Mohoumadi he did not look great at all, but people forget that he was out of action for a long time fighting legal battles and was meant to also be injured.

I thought he looked better against Zuniga and onwards..

One thing about Degale is he does seem to have a pretty good chin and a bit of heart. but I agree he has allways come across a bit to fragile and I imagin not easy to teach.  I remember when some famous boxer (cant remember who it was now) visited Degale in his Gym and a comment Mcdonnell made while in a jokey way did get me thinking ... "well its good to have him hear as its someone he listens to"  ..

And the way his corner was against Groves was very childish and "follow the leader" kind of thing..  No discipline. for me this is the main flaw with Degale, he needs a good clip around the ear and learn how to come in the ring a little bit more afraid.

for me its annoying to watch as I think he could be a great champ...

Fair points there tunes, don't doubt the lad has talent, would like to see evidence of a plan b from him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:35 pm

Must say the Brits have bundles of talent in and around 168...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:43 pm

True truss although i wouldn't class the likes of Eubank Jr just yet per say.

Has the personality of a clown, punches like malignaggi in terms of power and is well and truly overhyped.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:44 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:True truss although i wouldn't class the likes of Eubank Jr just yet per say.

Has the personality of a clown, punches like malignaggi in terms of power and is well and truly overhyped.

As long as he's as exciting as Paulie..that's the main thing..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:55 pm

Haha well yeh there is that concert fact i suppose!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 2:59 pm

Mayweather fanboy complaining about other fighters not being exciting enough....

#ironyfail

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 3:00 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Mayweather fanboy complaining about other fighters not being exciting enough....

#ironyfail

Anyone remember FIGHTNEWS on the old 606 site..

At least he could be amusing..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 4:41 pm

Rowley wrote:Not sure it is accurate to say most had Degale winning Tunes, if memory serves opinion was very much split on that one, certainly if here is a decent barometer. Think if anything the consensus was probably with George.

Well yeah it was very divided, But come on, how many people were dying to rub Degales nose in it?, and this had no effect?... Dont get me wrong Groves fought very well and there were loads of 50/50 rounds and early/mid fight he had Degale very flustered and lost...  Even Froch recently came out saying he did not watch the fight (so he says) but like many was pleased Groves won as Degale was so rude, and I think most people enjoyed giving Groves credit for that fight because of that as well as his good game plan... But Groves is a listener and you can see his defense has got allot better over the last couple years...

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Wed 31 Jul 2013, 5:31 pm

Had Groves by a point, have heard of plenty who had it the other way but certainly most i have spoke to thought Groves edged it. Think Groves has moved on and improved since that fight though and now i would expect him to beat Degale much more comfortably.
Degale should have had the patience to stay with Warren and build up his career steadily, unfortunately he jumped ship to a mickey mouse promoter and is getting the exposure his winning personality deserves.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Jul 2013, 5:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No..He put them together because like the rest of us he saw Degale winning easily..

Think you're wrong on this one Mate..
Partly true, but he couldn't pass up the chance to get one over on Haye...I almost forgot the Enzo Macc humiliation must still have been burning holes in his gut too.

Frank's didlike of Haye rivals STRONGY's and is similar to Oscar's dislike for Mayweather as he throws yet another fighter into the ring in an effort to dethrone him. he reminds me of George Bush Snr using jnr to dispose of Saddam (without the senseless loss of life obviously)

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 01 Aug 2013, 12:45 am

ODLH loves Floyd, he can only use GBP fighters with Arum not playing ball and I'm confident he enjoys cashing the 10%.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 01 Aug 2013, 5:21 pm

Watching Degale he doesn't look like his progressing boxing wise, and reminds me of junior Whitter couldn't fill a phone booth.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down