The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rabbo Preview 2013/2014 - Irish Teams

+5
Jenifer McLadyboy
Brendan
Artful_Dodger
asoreleftshoulder
Welshmushroom
9 posters

Go down

The Rabbo Preview 2013/2014 - Irish Teams Empty The Rabbo Preview 2013/2014 - Irish Teams

Post by Welshmushroom Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:51 am

Ulster:

Last Season: 1st Place

Transfers in 2013/14 (3 in total): James McKinney, David McIlwaine, Bronson Ross

Transfers out 2013/14 (4 out in total): Niall O’Connor, Nigel Brady, Adam D’Arcy, Ali Birch

Players likely to feature less due to International commitments: Tommy Bowe (Ireland Wing), Rory Best (Ireland Hooker)

Probable Starting Lineup(during international windows & rest periods):
1. Court 2. Herring 3. Afoa 4. Muller 5. Tuohy 6. Diack
7. McCormish 8. Williams 9. Pienaar 10. Jackson 11. Gilroy 12. Allen 13. Cave 14. Trimble 15. Payne

Comments: In the first half of the season the forward dominance was almost impossible to stop at times. Deserved the 1st place league finish and showed up consistently with some outstanding away wins. A team that is totally unfazed by travelling with some key non international players in it. Williams for me was probably the outstanding No 8 in the league and Ulster probably did their best bit of business picking him up from Aironi. With a light smattering of SH class this team just oozes class and power.

Prediction: 1st – Looking at the starting lineup and with so few players called to Ireland duty its clear this team will be doing well once again. Looking at the sheer class amongst the forwards and depth they have in that area alone it is difficult to see any team ousting them this term. That said there is no doubt the league quality is increasing all the time and Ulster will be targeted a little more this season by the big boys in the league.

Leinster:

Last Season: 2nd Place

Transfers in 2013/14 (3 in total): Mike McCarthy, Jimmy Gopperth, Zane Kirchner

Transfers out 2013/14 (10 out in total): Fionn Carr, Tom Sexton, Jonathon Sexton, Andrew Conway, Heinke van der Merwe, Isa Nacewa, Jamie Hagan, Damien Browne, Mark Flanagan, David Doyle

Players likely to feature less due to International commitments: Cian Healy (Ireland Prop), Sean O’Brien (Ireland Back Row), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland No 8), Mike Ross (Ireland Prop), Brian O’Driscoll (Ireland Centre – not sure if he has retired now internationally after the lions?), Rob Kearney (Ireland Full Back)

1. O’Connell 2. Strauss 3. Bent 4. McCarthy 5. Cullen 6. McLaughlin
7. Jennings 8. Auva’a 9. Reddan 10. Madigan 11. Fitzgerald 12. D’Arcy 13. McFadden 14. David Kearney 15. Zane Kirchner

Comments: Finished 2nd last season and again there is no doubting the obvious talent they have in their ranks. That said there is a lot of movement out of Leinster this year and if transfers have finished its difficult to see how they will cope with some key players having left. Still have pedigree in all competitions and the talent coming through there is also very able to step up to the mark and in fairness did win the title in the Final last year.

Prediction: 3rd – I see them falling a place not because of their fault but mainly because I believe Glasgow will be even harder to play this season and I expect them to finish the season 2nd. That said with so many quality players in their squad it’s hard to argue this team won’t be in the running come the play offs

Munster:

Last Season: 6th Place

Transfers in 2013/14 (8 in total): Niall Scannell, Duncan Casey, James Cronin, Gerry Hurley, Cian Bohane, Andrew Conway, Ronan O’Mahoney, Gerhard van den Heever

Transfers out 2013/14 (10 out in total): Sean Henry, Marcus Horan, Wian du Preez, Christy Condon, Peter Stringer, Scott Deasy, Ronan O’Gara, Danny Barnes, Doug Howlett, Sean Scanlon

Players likely to feature less due to International commitments: Paul O’Connell (Ireland Lock), Donnacha Ryan (Ireland Lock) Conor Murray (Ireland Scrum Half) Keith Earls (Ireland Utility Back) Simon Zebo (Ireland Wing)

1. Kilcoyne 2. Varley 3. Botha/Archer 4. O’Callaghan 5. Nagle/Foley 6. O’Mahony
7. Ronan 8. Stander 9. Williams 10. Keatley 11. Van den Heevr 12. Downey 13. Laulala 14. Murphy 15. Hurley/Jones

Comments: Last season was clearly a transition period for Munster . Didn’t make the play offs and with so many seasoned players retiring or due to retire it is time Munster start looking to youth. In fairness they did do that over the last couple of seasons and they have unearthed some real finds amongst their academy players. On paper the forwards look strong and Stander given hs injury lay off should be an extra signing for them this season.

Prediction: 6th – I don’t see any change this season for Munster. Most of the participating teams have beefed their forwards up in recent seasons and forward power alone won’t get you into the playoff’s. Tries will be needed to be scored and while Munster wont lack in this department they may struggle to accumulate the points away from home, needed to make the playoffs.

Connacht:

Last Season: 8th Place

Transfers in 2013/14 (11 in total): Sean Henry, James Realm Dave Heffernan, Craig Clarke, Danny Qualter, Aly Muldowney, Arron Conneely, Jake Heenan, Craig Ronaldson, James So’oialo, Fionn Carr

Transfers out 2013/14 (12 out in total): Adrian Flavin, Ethienne Reynecke, Dave Gannon, Mike McCarthy, TJ Anderson, Johnny O’Connor, Eoghan Grace, Dave Moore, Mattthew Jarvis, James Loxton, Fetu’u Vainikolo, Mark McCrea

Players likely to feature less due to International commitments: None

1. Wilkinson 2. Henry 3. Ah You/White 4. Muldowney 5. Clarke 6. Muldoon
7. Faloon/Heenan 8. Naoupu 9. Murphy 10. Nikora/Parks 11. Carr 12. Fifita 13. Poolman 14. O’Halloran 15. Duffy

Comments: Some cracking signings in the off season. Clarke looks like the pick of the bunch. Will be interesting to see if Poolman will be moved into Centre or not this season. Looks quite a useful backline on paper but question marks on the use of Parks will remain. If they do stick with Nikora they may see more tries being scored.

Prediction: 11th – Ok I admit it. My allegiance to the Dragons has clearly clouded my judgement in the end. My justification for 11th though will be that it will take some time for the new signings to bed in and that the gap between 7-11th may not actually be a massive point spread this year. Granted on paper they look a lot stronger than 11th and could possibly be a dangerous team (as always) to encounter.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

The Rabbo Preview 2013/2014 - Irish Teams Empty Re: The Rabbo Preview 2013/2014 - Irish Teams

Post by Welshmushroom Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:04 am

I have no idea how accurate ins and outs are as I have struggled to find the published transfers anywhere.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

The Rabbo Preview 2013/2014 - Irish Teams Empty Re: The Rabbo Preview 2013/2014 - Irish Teams

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:26 am

http://www.independent.ie/sport/a-breakdown-on-all-the-incomings-and-outgoings-at-the-irish-provinces-29417952.html

This might help with the transfers.

I can't argue with your comments.Ulster will be very strong this year and if they can avoid another injury crisis like the one which hit them around Christmas last season I think they'll be unstoppable,I'd tip them to win it out this year.

Leinster could go either way,we don't know how the change of coach will affect us but the squad is a fair bit weaker and if we get a few injuries in certain positions we'll struggle for cover.Our 1st 23 is still a match for anyone imo but after that we're light at 2nd row,TH and the back 5.

Munster will hopefully improve from last season but Keatley needs to kick on and Hanrahan has to step up too or they could struggle.PoC back fit is a huge boost as they look a different team when he's on the pitch.

I think Connacht will improve again,they've made some good signings and hopefully the new coach can bring them further again.

All in all I'd be fairly confident of a good season for the provinces with Leinster being the only team I see sliding a bit,but hopefully not too far.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks.

I'm assuming due to the recent IRFU announcements regarding borrowing to maintain the provinces salaries we can assume no big new signings will be announced and they may downsize playing squads over a period of time?

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:22 pm

No I think all the signings are done for this season,however the provinces don't get all their funding from the IRFU.They also partly fund themselves so they each have different financial situations.

Munster are in a bit of trouble and had to cut back already (they have no scrum coach this season due to financial constraints),none of the other 3 seem to be affected yet (to my knowledge)however only time will tell really.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:01 pm

Good effort Welsh Mushroom. I would point out that Ulster will most likely have more than 2 out for international duty though. Luke Marshall was the first choice 12 under the last days of Declan Kidney, what happens under Schmidt remians to be seen. Stuart Olding played some sensational rugby for us at 12 last season, so if only one of him and Marshall get called up I expect the other to play 12 during internationals, decent chance however Schmidt will want both of them given just how good Olding was last season. Aside from that Jackson and one of our second rows may also be called up as may Gilroy and/or Trimble. I would be very surprised if at least one of Gilroy and Trimble wasn't called up along with Bowe. Ferris could also be called up depending on how successful his attempts at returning to fitness are.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 pm

Dont agree with connacht being second last but you do back it up as they are losing/changing a fair bit of the team. Think clarke will use the pack to be more of a weapon then in previous seasons. I expect them to improve like treviso and push for seventh.

Interesting how little ulster are changing. Thats the problem with having a good squad.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Very good work for someone outside Ireland.

I could pick through several things, but will stick with the fact that most of the provinces will lose several more than just those in the starting 15 to Ireland squads/player rest.

Ulster will also be without Pienaar until October at least.

Ok one more then. Leo Auva'a will get very little game time at senior level with players like Jordi Murphy and Jack Conan about.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 pm

I think ulster will have improved for next season. Their young players (Olding, Marshall, Henderson, Jackson and gilroy) are a year older and have seen significant game time. They've improved their backups in key positions with Mckinney and Mcilwane and they will be hurting after winning nothing last season. I think they'll top the league and win the whole thing. 1st

Leinster I fear will struggle to make the playoffs the squad is weaker and the new coach may take time to bed in. Also Mcgrath will start ahead of O Connell. 4th/5th

Munster I think should make the playoffs if they take the league seriously. Maybe lack the experience at out half to win anything but they have good depth in the back line. 3rd/4th

Connacht have strenghtened the most but they still lack depth at OH (Ronaldson is promising though). I think that all the teams at the bottom of the table will be improved. I'd expect them to maintain 8th and possibly improve on it. 8th +

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:24 am

Ulster should have stronger backup this season barring another crisis. Doyle will hopefully feature much more and in front of McComish. Farrell back in at centre and our wings and paddy mac at LH.

Back up TH is the only worry

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:08 am

I have no such fears for Leinster. Our players are also a year older. thinking of Madigan and McGrath among many others.

Sure things could go wrong and a new head coach is an unknown. I expect them to be short of their all conquering best, but not to be top 3 in the rabo for the first time in 10 years? Naah.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:15 am

Good work for an 'outsider' Mushroom.

I would correct a few of your selections- i.e. Stuart Olding, Paddy Wallace and luke Marshall would all be ahead of Mike Allen at 12. Allen will play 13 or wing.

I hope that Sean Doyle and Chris Henry will be ahead of Mike McComish. Possible first choice with deputies during international windows in brackets.

1. Court
2. Best (Herring)
3. Afoa
4. Muller
5. Tuohy (Stevenson)
6. Henderson (Diack)
7. Henry (Doyle)
8. Williams
9. Pienaar (P. Marshall)
10. Jackson (McKinney)
11. Trimble/Gilroy (Cochrane)
12. L. Marshall (Olding)
13. Cave (Farrell)
14. Bowe (Allen)
15. Payne

16. Herring, Annett
17. Black, McAllister
18. Fitzpatrick, Ross, Macklin
19. Stevenson, McComb
20. Ferris, Doyle, McComish, Diack, Wilson
21. P. Marshall, Heaney
22. McKinney, Olding, Wallace, Farrell
23. Allen, Cochrane, Gilroy, Nelson, McIlwaine

Last edited by Notch on Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 am

I thought the rugby championship ended in mid September Jen. I don't mind Pienaar having a week or two off after it but he would need to be back by the start of October

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:24 am

Perhaps it is the extra bledisloe game that is in Oct. Poor fecker will need SOME rest.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:29 am

Last year, the first game Pienaar was available for was Round 1 of the Heineken Cup.

He started on the bench and came off to score the bonus point winning try; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8KohOhVTYc

This year the Rugby Championship finishes on the 28th September and our first game of the HC is on the 11th October so it will be easier to get him involved for our first really big game of the season. A week off might be the thing. Or off the bench that weekend and then maybe off the bench again against Leicester.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:32 am

One area where Ulster are 3rd best is reliance on NIQs. All 5 of their players would make up a third of their starting HC 15 with everyone fit.

Only Botha would make it for Munster, and no one would for Leinster.

Be a shock to the system next season, and another reason that you need silverware this year. I hope you do it. Just as long as it's not at our expense.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:33 am

A week off! Then straight in!? Jaysus!

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:45 am

Is the last game that late? Bollix to that. Only hope is that he isn't overworked then. With hougaard and vermaak back fit he might drop down the pecking order.

We have to see how Heaney develops but we did ok with wee p starting in the HEC last season. Similarly Wilson if he gets an injury free run can replace Williams (especially with fez fit)

Payne will be iq soon enough but TH is an issue, as is backup lock although it's more a case hat we have youngsters, it's just giving them gametime.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:22 am

What's his name is out for the rest of the season. scrum half for the boks. used to be ahead of Pienaar. plays wing also..... tip of my tongue....... ah bollix. yah know the guy

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:27 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:What's his name is out for the rest of the season. scrum half for the boks. used to be ahead of Pienaar. plays wing also..... tip of my tongue....... ah bollix. yah know the guy

Francois Hougaard. He'll miss the whole championship so it looks like Ruan could be first choice.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:45 am

Did hougaard get injured at the weekend? Vermaak was initially ahead of him in the summer tests but injured himself in the first game. Remains to be seen whether Meyer was merely experimenting with vermaak or he feels he can step up in the RC

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 am

New Leinster coach was being quoted on today fm this morning.
I think he came across well.  Seems to know what he is getting himself into and comes across as a straight shooter.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down