The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs scotland YB40

5 posters

Go down

surrey vs scotland YB40 Empty surrey vs scotland YB40

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 04 Aug 2013, 11:56 am

Surrey have named a thirteen man squad for the Yorkshire Bank 40 game against the Scottish Saltires this afternoon at the Kia Oval.
Gareth Batty, Steven Davies and Zander de Bruyn all return to the squad after being rested against the Essex Eagles. Chris Tremlett comes into the squad having returned from Manchester where he had been part of the England squad for the 3rd Investec Ashes Test.
Azhar Mahmood is also included but Dominic Sibley is unavailable due to the knee injury he sustained against the Essex Eagles that required stitches
The Surrey squad to play the Scottish Saltires in the YB40 at the Kia Oval on Sunday 4th August:
Gareth Batty (capt)
Zafar Ansari
Rory Burns
Zander de Bruyn
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Jon Lewis
Azhar Mahmood
Tim Linley
Jason Roy
Vikram Solanki
Chris Tremlett
Gary Wilson
gary keedy and tom jewell have been left out which in jewell's case i find very harsh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs scotland YB40 Empty Re: surrey vs scotland YB40

Post by guildfordbat Sun 04 Aug 2013, 12:18 pm

Cheers, JimBob.

Totally agree with you about Jewell. I make no claims for greatness on his behalf but he hasn't half been mucked about. During the seconds' championship match at Guildford last month in which he scored a century, I spoke to his dad who told me that Tom didn't know until late in the day if he would be able to complete his ton as he might have had to travel to the Oval and be a reserve fielder for that evening's t20.

Disappointed generally with this squad. We seem more concerned about the potential embarrassment of losing to Scotland than the need to give youngsters a go. As well as Jewell and the injured Sibley, out go Clive and the Burger Van from the last squad. Pleased at least that Curran deservedly retains his squad place - hope he plays.

Despite his CC sevenfer against Yorks, the writing seems on the wall for Keedy. Just 4 overs on Friday and left out for this one.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:36 pm

Surrey win the toss and bat
The brain and viscount miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sun 04 Aug 2013, 3:56 pm

Great start from Roy, Davies and Solanki then the usual mid-order collapse with 4 going for 16 runs. What looked like a score in the 300s is looking less and less likely now. What has this shown, apart from our lack of depth, which was all too apparent already?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 04 Aug 2013, 4:38 pm

303 all out 5 balls wasted

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 04 Aug 2013, 5:40 pm

Scotland 65 - 0 in reply, though required run rate climbing towards 9.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 04 Aug 2013, 6:12 pm

Ansari getting a good bowl out - probably looking to bolster his confidence after the hammer he took against Essex.  Already taken a couple of wickets.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:15 pm

Won by a 100 runs 5 wkts for youngster curran

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:51 pm

Might be a career best for him in that competition!  (Well it already is - but I meant even if he has a long and illustrious career it maybe that he never betters that.)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 04 Aug 2013, 10:47 pm

I'm pretty excited about Curran, 5-34 in your second ever Lst A game as an 18 year old. Has anyone seen him bowl at all btw? Listed as fast on cricinfo would be interested to hear what kind of pace he has.

Pretty sure his emergence will spell the end for Jewell, I feel sorry for him as he has been messed about a lot but I just don't think he's very good.

Very pleased for Ansari and Roy after good performances today too, just wish the latter would be a bit more consistent, interesting to hear Churchy refer to how hard he has been working in the nets in his interview on the facebook page.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 05 Aug 2013, 9:53 am

Carrot - I saw Curran for the first time on Friday. Liked what I saw - comments on the ''Surrey news/articles'' thread here and the wallpaper site [Oval World on the Net - Come on the Rey] refer.

His first 4 overs were good and on the money. Generally on the stumps and to a good line and length. I didn't see yesterday's game but have particularly noted that of his 5 wickets, 4 were bowled and the other was lbw.

On Friday I thought there was a good case for him staying on and bowling his 8 overs on the reel but that clearly didn't fit with Solanki's pre-conceived formulaic plans. When he came back late on, he got some tap but that was fairly understandable. Bopara was seeing it like a beachball by then and Tendo is never going to turn down the opportunity to hit out.

I would like to see him again before forming any meaningful view on his pace. Quickish would be my rather feeble initial assessment. Certainly not as fast as Mills but the Essex paceman was so wayward it counted for little.

Curran also was keen and effective in the field which was necessary to partially compensate for the poor work of Lewis and Keedy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 05 Aug 2013, 11:56 am

Cheers for that, guildford, he looked pretty rapid in the highlights, stumps flying all over the place!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down